• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Saint Jambo

• Mikey1874

• Ricardo Quaresma

7 hours ago, OBE said:

Congratulations, Andy, you knew you are good, HMFC didn't, even if you curled a left footer 40 yards right in their pus...Happy for him...:rudiyas:

Well said.  He's a dyed in the wool Jambo who did his best for Hearts.  Good luck to him.

Did this signing actually go through?

I can’t see it confirmed anywhere, it’s not on the West Ham page on the BBC site and there’s no mention of it on the West Ham forum 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
11 hours ago, The Merse said:

Irving was very underrated.

Exactky what we’re missing tbh, could take it in tight positions, composed and could play a telling pass too.

Pleased he’s made it but unfortunately a bad call for us not to go all out to keep.

We would have coached that out of him by now, probably.

"Good player turns out to be a good player" shock.

That a noisy minority of Kickback's finest pundits and analysts are surprised is no surprise.

Edited by 4marsbars

stirlingshirejambo
14 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Did this signing actually go through?

I can’t see it confirmed anywhere, it’s not on the West Ham page on the BBC site and there’s no mention of it on the West Ham forum 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

It appears that it’s as much to do with starting up a partnership between the clubs hence the loan back. I would be amazed if he ever plays for West Ham but would love to be proved wrong

Portable Badger

Not seen anything official to say this transfer went through that I can see.  If it has then good luck to the guy.  I've not seen him play since he left Hearts but I always thought he would make a half-decent career out of it. On the face of it it would seem to be he has grasped that opportunity with both hands after an initial move most of us thought was weird. My only frustration with him at Hearts was he slowed things down and had a proclivity to want to do spectacular 40-50 yard passes when a quicker shorter pass would have kept the forward momentum going

Very surprising, I felt he was too slow to be playing in the Scottish top flight never mind in the EPL. 

Good luck to him. Maybe he will be back one day in his mid 30s looking for a retirement home. 

14 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Hearts offered him a new contract and he refused right?

for about £300 a week or something like that 🤣🤣

9 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Do we get a smidgeon of dough or no?

£2M > £100K sort of thing, 5%?

We should get nothing as the contract offered to him was shameful

chester copperpot
15 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Always got the feeling he was better than the dross we churn out of Riccarton but in no way shape or form did he do anything in a Hearts jersey to give the slightest **** about him no longer being at Hearts.

I cannot be arsed trawling through your numerous anti Hearts posts but I'm pretty sure you slated him.

Keep up the work tho son, your big team is playing soon, you can always cheer on them 👍

Irving had made his mind up that he wanted to go & was in his last year of contract. We made him multiple offers & he turned them down. People can go back & forth over the wages involved etc but at the time he wasn’t playing great football, certainly not good enough to command a top wage and that was in the championship over a period of a few months. 

We replaced him with Beni who lets be real was a far far superior player until his injury & may still get back to that level yet.

Glad to see him doing well but I’m not having Andy Irving getting a shock move to West Ham (where he won’t play) as a stick to beat the club with. Not a chance.

8 hours ago, haj said:

Can't say I ever saw much in him. Was absolutely convinced Anthony Mcdonald would end up at right at the top so shows what I know.

As I said on another thread. For every good game he had for us, he had around 8-10 mediocre ones.

To be fair to him though, I don’t think he was being properly used by our management teams.

Shooter McGavin

He was decent, and in hindsight we probably should have kept a hold of him. But I don’t recall anybody being that bothered when he left.

I just hope we don’t make the same mistake with Connor Smith.

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Irving had made his mind up that he wanted to go & was in his last year of contract. We made him multiple offers & he turned them down. People can go back & forth over the wages involved etc but at the time he wasn’t playing great football, certainly not good enough to command a top wage and that was in the championship over a period of a few months. 

We replaced him with Beni who lets be real was a far far superior player until his injury & may still get back to that level yet.

Glad to see him doing well but I’m not having Andy Irving getting a shock move to West Ham (where he won’t play) as a stick to beat the club with. Not a chance.

Indeed.

And if he was left because he wasn't offered enough or didn't feel valued at Hearts, someone should tell him that, because it is the opposite of what he has said in different interviews at different times since he left.

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

We should get nothing as the contract offered to him was shameful

I have heard a lot of references on here that the move was cynical, hinting that it was effectively a release and a contract offer was solely to recoup something later, by adhering to regulations

Happy that's he's worked hard, despite the German setback, plugged away after a move to Austria and been popular

If this gives him a decent payday then that proves working on your game works

Way it should be

However, you don't know the answer, sound

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Congratulations to Irving in joining the premiership leaders 😁

He didn't join Celtic, he joined West Ham, the Premier League leaders :whistling:

I don't really understand why West Ham would do this though. All a bit mad to me. Good luck to him though, his career must be doing OK.

Ricardo Quaresma
4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

He didn't join Celtic, he joined West Ham, the Premier League leaders :whistling:

I don't really understand why West Ham would do this though. All a bit mad to me. Good luck to him though, his career must be doing OK.

Allegedly a way to pay the Austrian club for being a feeder club

Then again, maybe they owed them the money for something else?

Does Andy get a huge pay rise though?

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Tbf I only posted on this thread as an excuse to mention that West Ham were top of the league 😁

Other teams [West Ham] obviously see the potential in him. He always looked a player for us but he made a decision his future and expanding his career lay elsewhere. Correct decision made by all accounts.

8 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Other teams [West Ham] obviously see the potential in him. He always looked a player for us but he made a decision his future and expanding his career lay elsewhere. Correct decision made by all accounts.

I wonder if it’s an easy way for West Ham to put money into the Austrian team and bypass some sort of regulation about clubs giving each other money? 

Bungalow Bill
1 hour ago, Imaman said:

I’ve mentioned before that my friend who I go to the games with is mates with an EPL scout. There was a game where Irving had an absolute shocker, took pelters during the game. We spoke to the EPL scout during the game, he wasn’t watching anyone in particular but he said he was impressed with Irving the most. He said, he’d made a few mistakes, was taking absolute dogs abuse but he was still showing for the ball and trying to do the right things. He was really impressed with the fact he didn’t crumble. 

Edited by Bungalow Bill

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I wonder if it’s an easy way for West Ham to put money into the Austrian team and bypass some sort of regulation about clubs giving each other money? 

🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Best young sideways passer of a ball that I can remember. 

If it was sideways to a Hearts player, that's fine by me, though I have to say that what I remember about him is that he played with his head up and could pick out a perfectly-weighted forward, defence-splitting, pass too.

21 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Did he not run his contract down. We would have got training compensation but there was no transfer agreement I think?

21 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

11 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Did he not run his contract down. We would have got training compensation but there was no transfer agreement I think?

There is a 5% training compensation fee paid on all international transfers of players aged 23 and under. The money is distributed between all clubs they were registered with between the ages of 12 and 21. It isn't like sell on fees. It isn't based on previous transfers.

https://www.easportslaw.com/news/training-compensation-and-solidarity-mechanism

Unfortunately it applies to players transferred up to the end of the season in which they turned 23. Irving turned 23 in mid-May, so it applied up to the end of last season. My reading is had he been transferred last January we would have been due most (maybe all) of that 5%. But as it is, we aren't due anything.

11 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

for about £300 a week or something like that 🤣🤣

Any actual source for this claim?

It doesn't align at all with what he has said since leaving the club.

Ricardo Quaresma
15 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

There is a 5% training compensation fee paid on all international transfers of players aged 23 and under. The money is distributed between all clubs they were registered with between the ages of 12 and 21. It isn't like sell on fees. It isn't based on previous transfers.

https://www.easportslaw.com/news/training-compensation-and-solidarity-mechanism

Unfortunately it applies to players transferred up to the end of the season in which they turned 23. Irving turned 23 in mid-May, so it applied up to the end of last season. My reading is had he been transferred last January we would have been due most (maybe all) of that 5%. But as it is, we aren't due anything.

Ach, well

Phil D. Corners
5 hours ago, Bungalow Bill said:

I’ve mentioned before that my friend who I go to the games with is mates with an EPL scout. There was a game where Irving had an absolute shocker, took pelters during the game. We spoke to the EPL scout during the game, he wasn’t watching anyone in particular but he said he was impressed with Irving the most. He said, he’d made a few mistakes, was taking absolute dogs abuse but he was still showing for the ball and trying to do the right things. He was really impressed with the fact he didn’t crumble. 

Stendel was asked on a podcast, after leaving Hearts, which young players he thought had a future…  He straight away said Irving. 

27 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Any actual source for this claim?

It doesn't align at all with what he has said since leaving the club.

i obviously jest with £300 (as I said something like that) , but it was paltry. I wasn’t bothered if he stayed, and think it’s amazing he has done so well. Brilliant for him and well deserved as he took a gamble that’s paid off

56 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

If it was sideways to a Hearts player, that's fine by me, though I have to say that what I remember about him is that he played with his head up and could pick out a perfectly-weighted forward, defence-splitting, pass too.

Becoming a legend. 

3 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

i obviously jest with £300 (as I said something like that) , but it was paltry. I wasn’t bothered if he stayed, and think it’s amazing he has done so well. Brilliant for him and well deserved as he took a gamble that’s paid off

As was Hickey. 

Going abroad and stepping out of his comfort zone obviously paid off for the guy. Maybe some of our other promising players might have improved their game by doing the same. Hats off to him.

Wow that's a great move for him, would never have thought he would sign for a club at the elite level.

While a decent player for us I never thought he was a world beater, maybe has developed more and progressed in Austria? 

On 02/09/2023 at 09:36, boag1874 said:

Well said boag 1874 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻.    👏🏻

Confirmed fee of €1.76m with immediate loan back to end of season. We miss out on any cut by 3 months.

West Ham's new Technical Director came from the German leagues this summer so maybe had some eyes in Austria and he started the season well? Looks like he's scored 3 and assisted 2 in the first 6 games.

On 02/09/2023 at 09:36, boag1874 said:

Not saying anything you said is inaccurate but the multiple offers were all meant to be really shit money. He had played a fair bit in our promotion season and clearly expected a better offer. 

You’re right about Beni. Everyone quickly forgot about Irving when Beni then Devlin arrived. 

• 2 weeks later...
Ricardo Quaresma

So, are west ham loaning him back to claim the offset that his wages gets them, in order to raise their wage budget?

That how it's getting round FFP?

Must have some serious sprinting coaches at Klagenfurt. 

Nice for the lad that he's made a career out of it but I'm in no way disappointed he left. He'll also obviously never play for West Ham, there's something fishy about this move.