Unforgivable by Savage

longmalx

5 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Clearly we are still looking in England as we signed Kent. For me the maxim to employ when we are recruiting from anywhere is the standard of the league. J1 League is clearly better than Scotland so that lends confidence, no idea about Costa Rica or other central American countries so I presume we must have metrics to assess that. The A-League is pretty poor though so I am not sure why we have shopped there when none of the players we have recruited have looked great buys.

Kent shows the advantage of buying UK-based players - they should be up and running quickly.

I think Tagawa is suffering a little just now since communication seems to be tough at the moment - hopefully that will resolve fairly quickly.

But I think the evidence is that the further afield we recruit, the expectation should be a 3-4 month settling in spell - which we need to bear in mind. (Vargas looks to be an exception to this).

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• frankblack

• Rudy T

• Sooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only thing this thread is missing is a genius saying that we need to sign a Hartley/Cameron type.  What, two of our greatest players of the past 40 years??  As simple as that.

The point being made is that Beni and Devlin main partnership has been, so far, impossible to improve on.  Kio, Grant, Snodgrass, and others contributed to a hardly catastrophic 4th, but ultimately we were not at the same level.

Same at centre back. Savage et. al were unable to replace the outstanding Souttar, Halkett and Kingsley?  Sibbick, Rowles and Hill did ok, but again not an improvement over the course of last season.  Sackable

offence?

Edited by Dia Liom

2 minutes ago, longmalx said:

Kent shows the advantage of buying UK-based players - they should be up and running quickly.

I think Tagawa is suffering a little just now since communication seems to be tough at the moment - hopefully that will resolve fairly quickly.

But I think the evidence is that the further afield we recruit, the expectation should be a 3-4 month settling in spell - which we need to bear in mind. (Vargas looks to be an exception to this).

Think that's very fair, no idea about the relative merits of Nieuwenhof yet and he needs time. Vargas has impressed so far. Had a good view of him second half in front of me last night and his game awareness attacking and defending was obvious to see. Coaches have picked up on that and that's why he is starting.

9 minutes ago, longmalx said:

Nice to have someone who responds with reasoned debate / analysis.

Rather than the standard puerile put-down (probably due to not understanding the original post's sentiments 🙂 )

it was more the utter nonsense you are spouting !

15 minutes ago, longmalx said:

Interestingly, Savage said last night that Tagawa and Vargas both have much better English than comes across to us. They are nervous/ shy about speaking English in interviews, which is understandable because they are native speakers. But behind the scenes their English is ok. Not perfect, but ok.

Savage was quite bullish about Shanks going nowhere last night in the Gorgie Suite …………. Unless some one offers crazy cash . Shanks was in good form and I confirm his body language was relaxed and happy 🙂 

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Savage was quite bullish about Shanks going nowhere last night in the Gorgie Suite …………. Unless some one offers crazy cash . Shanks was in good form and I confirm his body language was relaxed and happy 🙂 

Relaxed and happy 🤔. Like he’s just about to set himself up for life and top up his tan. 

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Relaxed and happy 🤔. Like he’s just about to set himself up for life and top up his tan. 

He may have been looking at the scran left over from the hospitality table tbf

Pasquale for King

He can only look at the type of players the manager wants, when we don’t get a certain type thats because the manager hasn’t asked for it. 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

Open your eyes to the amount of time Rowles loses a tackle, makes a poor pass, gets turned, loses heading duals, panics, do you really think Rowles is doing well ? 

imo, Rowles isn't nearly as bad as you're making out.

If you're basing your opinion of a player on the number of mistakes  he makes in a game, you've got a big pool to choose from.  

4 hours ago, longmalx said:

Last season was derailed by a lack of strong ball winning centre back. To me that’s the main reason we lost 3rd place over the season. Savage knew we needed one to cover Halkett and failed to recruit.

This season we knew we needed a strong central midfielder who can hold the ball and move it on. Savage has failed again and has gambled on a combination of Beni regaining fitness quickly / a punt at an unproven Aussie.

To me it’s unforgivable that for 2 seasons in a row are team is being derailed by uncertainty in a key area. Changing CM every game to try and find a combo which works is ridiculous, made more so by us playing a CB, a LB and a recently released kid.

To me last season he was on a shoogly peg due to this. To repeat it 2 seasons in a row is incompetence.

Absolutely. 

He should have gone out and signed the star central midfielder from another league. Someone comfortable travelling with the ball and playing progressive passes. Someone who might chip in with the odd goal and will be industrious and help off the ball as well. 

His criminal negligence in not doing so was…

…Imaginary. 

This is exactly what he did.

32 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Interestingly, Savage said last night that Tagawa and Vargas both have much better English than comes across to us. They are nervous/ shy about speaking English in interviews, which is understandable because they are native speakers. But behind the scenes their English is ok. Not perfect, but ok.

People moan about Savage but even our foreign recruits are native speakers.  Can't really grumble at that.

28 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Anyone ask about contract talks?

i wish jj was my dad
52 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

The only thing this thread is missing is a genius saying that we need to sign a Hartley/Cameron type.  What, two of our greatest players of the past 40 years??  As simple as that.

The point being made is that Beni and Devlin main partnership has been, so far, impossible to improve on.  Kio, Grant, Snodgrass, and others contributed to a hardly catastrophic 4th, but ultimately we were not at the same level.

Same at centre back. Savage et. al were unable to replace the outstanding Souttar, Halkett and Kingsley?  Sibbick, Rowles and Hill did ok, but again not an improvement over the course of last season.  Sackable

offence?

Far too sensible. Haring is the obvious deputy for Beni. Hoff will be next in line when up to speed. Denholm did OK but it would be a big ask for him to step up against PAOK. personally I would have played Toby in there last night but I cam see why he went with Cochrane. It's still a decent bunch of options in the middle. 

FerryJambo81

We have the makings of a good team but don't think anyone can say we're not a little unbalanced in the middle. Get Beni could be back and be great, still somewhat optimistic to expect him to be available all season.

Grant I think was meant to be that player, showed flashes but two reds derailed and be never seems to have recovered.

The issue with euro games is they come early and we pin a lot on them. Last night was disappointing, last year's 'efforts' were anger inducing. We are progressing, it'll never be quick enough for many. Football fans huh 😂

1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

Unlikely to find anyone of that quality, but would either of these be signed these days?

Still disappointed we never went in for Campbell of Motherwell a couple of years ago and O'Hara of St Mirren looks like he'd have been a solid addition (and Kio + Grant fees surely would have covered the fee).

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Anyone ask about contract talks?

There isn't normally an audience Q&A I don't think. I was in the Gorgie Club and it was just questions from Scott Wilson. He didn't ask about contracts.

If Sooks was in the full hospitality in the Gorgie Suite, he might have heard something different.

15 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

There isn't normally an audience Q&A I don't think. I was in the Gorgie Club and it was just questions from Scott Wilson. He didn't ask about contracts.

If Sooks was in the full hospitality in the Gorgie Suite, he might have heard something different.

No mate , just the Gorgie Club thing 

gorgie rd eh11
6 hours ago, longmalx said:

Last season was derailed by a lack of strong ball winning centre back. To me that’s the main reason we lost 3rd place over the season. Savage knew we needed one to cover Halkett and failed to recruit.

This season we knew we needed a strong central midfielder who can hold the ball and move it on. Savage has failed again and has gambled on a combination of Beni regaining fitness quickly / a punt at an unproven Aussie.

To me it’s unforgivable that for 2 seasons in a row are team is being derailed by uncertainty in a key area. Changing CM every game to try and find a combo which works is ridiculous, made more so by us playing a CB, a LB and a recently released kid.

To me last season he was on a shoogly peg due to this. To repeat it 2 seasons in a row is incompetence.

6 hours ago, longmalx said:

people still swallowing this trolling s***e. 

2 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

offence?

I hate to point out the obvious but that’s exactly what we need, and let’s not forget where those two came from, hardly mega bucks signings. 

My gripe with Savage is he talks a lot and talks a big game but so far in every window we’ve come up short in at least one key position. This years excuse is the change of management and change of style which is fair enough, but he really needs to fill this hole in the middle of the park, he’s tried 3 times and none have hit the mark (so far in Hoffs case). 

As it stands the management team will no doubt keep rotating different players in there and get slagged for it if it fails. I really don’t want to see Cochrane in there again, we lose everything that’s good about his game, and with McKay out then maybe the partnership with Kingsley can develop.

1 hour ago, longmalx said:

Unlikely to find anyone of that quality, but would either of these be signed these days?

Still disappointed we never went in for Campbell of Motherwell a couple of years ago and O'Hara of St Mirren looks like he'd have been a solid addition (and Kio + Grant fees surely would have covered the fee).

It's an interesting point.  We certainly don't seem to be that interested in the Scottish lower leagues.  Lewis Neilson being the exception?  The two players you mention, I'd be happy if we signed O' Hara.  And I am 99% sure we bid for Campbell, or at least it was strongly rumoured that we were interested.

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I hate to point out the obvious but that’s exactly what we need, and let’s not forget where those two came from, hardly mega bucks signings. 

My gripe with Savage is he talks a lot and talks a big game but so far in every window we’ve come up short in at least one key position. This years excuse is the change of management and change of style which is fair enough, but he really needs to fill this hole in the middle of the park, he’s tried 3 times and none have hit the mark (so far in Hoffs case). 

As it stands the management team will no doubt keep rotating different players in there and get slagged for it if it fails. I really don’t want to see Cochrane in there again, we lose everything that’s good about his game, and with McKay out then maybe the partnership with Kingsley can develop.

I  think I know what you're saying.  But a Cameron and Hartley type is what we need because they were truly exceptional players.  By definition, we don't sign players of this quality very often, although we should always be trying.  

Anyway, I agree that if the management want a centre mid, Savage and co have to get someone better than Grant, Kio, Snodgrass.  I could be wrong but I suspect we are trying to move on Grant and Halliday and bring in a centre mid. 

You are also right that it's far from ideal that we have relied on Cochrane, Denholm ,and Sibbick in midfield in really important european ties.  But two of the starting CMs are injured and Grant and Halliday not trusted, which is just the reality of the squad at the moment.

3 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Isn't Savage a West coast blawbag and barely coherent in English?

6 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

To me, we are building a central midfield for the season, not for the first few games. So Haring and Beni coming back and up to speed make a big difference. Nieuwenhof gets up to speed and he makes a big difference. Denholm has contributed well so far and will get better as the season goes on. I think Tait when he is ready to play will play a good part. Pollock if he ever is fit will also play a part. So we should have plenty options through the season that will make that midfield stronger. Signing another central midfielder will just block things up.

I understand the short term clamour for another central midfielder, Devlin needs a settled partner next to him, but there is no point signing someone for now, when there is plenty long term for us.

Hope you’re right but I’ve not seen anything from Nieuwenhof to suggest he’s going to make a difference.  Missing a fully fit Beni is a major blow but we’ve now signed a number of midfield players who have not been up to scratch.  Remember the quality not quantity comment … however It’s early days and I’m happy to admit that the management team know better than me so let’s see what transpires.

FerryJambo81

Yeah, Hoff a bit of an enigma so far. Can't get the level of plaudits he did without having something. Get their league very different but clearly well thought of.

Is he injured or is he being kept out limelight until confident he can compete...

All that being said, he never seems to have been sold as an attack minded midfielder which is what we fundamentally lack.

33 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

I  think I know what you're saying.  But a Cameron and Hartley type is what we need because they were truly exceptional players.  By definition, we don't sign players of this quality very often, although we should always be trying.  

Anyway, I agree that if the management want a centre mid, Savage and co have to get someone better than Grant, Kio, Snodgrass.  I could be wrong but I suspect we are trying to move on Grant and Halliday and bring in a centre mid. 

You are also right that it's far from ideal that we have relied on Cochrane, Denholm ,and Sibbick in midfield in really important european ties.  But two of the starting CMs are injured and Grant and Halliday not trusted, which is just the reality of the squad at the moment.

I know where your coming from we couldn’t buy the finished article in todays market but even someone that has the forward thinking instincts these two had, I feel todays game often asks way too much of players. At our level we can’t have players who can do it all but we should be able to assemble a starting 11 that is greater than it’s sum of parts. 

I hate to give them the steam off my pish but Hibs have done ok in the Scottish league market the likes of McGinn and Nisbet having done well for them both on the pitch and financially, don’t get me wrong they’ve also signed some honking shite. 

If we can get shot of Grant then it’ll be no bad thing he’s just never held a starting spot, Halliday at least can play a number of positions if needs be, I don’t see Forrest getting much game time either so it would be no surprise to see him go next week.

Beni is a massive miss and I worry we might not see very much of him before his contracts up, Devlin needs help soon or the lad will be burnt out he’s often doing the job of two players!

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He can only look at the type of players the manager wants, when we don’t get a certain type thats because the manager hasn’t asked for it. 

IMO watching our style of play it’s the one thing we’re missing that key link man in the middle of the park… these days they call it breaking the lines.. getting forward in old money. I think Naisy would love that type of player.

We have to rely on Boyce but there’s still a gap from Devlin winning the ball to Boyce to Shankland, when they get it right it’s deadly but all too often we get forced wide and the pace of the move slows. If we can mix it up we’d pull defences all over the place including your Killie park the bus types who are happy to keep us in front of them and man mark shanks and Boyce.

Stuttgart 2000
8 hours ago, longmalx said:

Your Best worrying about your sister getting pumped before you find her 👍

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

IMO watching our style of play it’s the one thing we’re missing that key link man in the middle of the park… these days they call it breaking the lines.. getting forward in old money. I think Naisy would love that type of player.

We have to rely on Boyce but there’s still a gap from Devlin winning the ball to Boyce to Shankland, when they get it right it’s deadly but all too often we get forced wide and the pace of the move slows. If we can mix it up we’d pull defences all over the place including your Killie park the bus types who are happy to keep us in front of them and man mark shanks and Boyce.

Naismith would need to ask for that type, the Hoff was supposed to be that though.
No defence will be caught out by the time Devlin gets the ball under control, passes to Boyce who takes 4 touches before getting the ball to a now offside Shankland? That pretty much happened last night. Boyce and Shankland are great at finding space but only one can take the odd chance created for them. But one of them has to play there until someone links the midfield and the front properly. I think Lowry might be worth a shot against teams who won’t attack us through the midfield, he’s about the only option not tried there so far. 

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I know where your coming from we couldn’t buy the finished article in todays market but even someone that has the forward thinking instincts these two had, I feel todays game often asks way too much of players. At our level we can’t have players who can do it all but we should be able to assemble a starting 11 that is greater than it’s sum of parts. 

I hate to give them the steam off my pish but Hibs have done ok in the Scottish league market the likes of McGinn and Nisbet having done well for them both on the pitch and financially, don’t get me wrong they’ve also signed some honking shite. 

If we can get shot of Grant then it’ll be no bad thing he’s just never held a starting spot, Halliday at least can play a number of positions if needs be, I don’t see Forrest getting much game time either so it would be no surprise to see him go next week.

Beni is a massive miss and I worry we might not see very much of him before his contracts up, Devlin needs help soon or the lad will be burnt out he’s often doing the job of two players!

You are right but Hartley was a free transfer who had been around a few clubs and through about three managers coaching turned into the hero he did. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Naismith would need to ask for that type, the Hoff was supposed to be that though.
No defence will be caught out by the time Devlin gets the ball under control, passes to Boyce who takes 4 touches before getting the ball to a now offside Shankland? That pretty much happened last night. Boyce and Shankland are great at finding space but only one can take the odd chance created for them. But one of them has to play there until someone links the midfield and the front properly. I think Lowry might be worth a shot against teams who won’t attack us through the midfield, he’s about the only option not tried there so far. 

We will catch out defences if someone breaks forward, at the moment we just aren’t moving the CH pairing out of position enough and the opposition midfield can keep there shape in front of us. We are relying heavily on our wide players. I actually think we either stick with the Kingsley Cochrane combo on the left or get Oda or Vargas out there to cut inside and offer us something different. Then it’s Sibbick in the middle as about the only option we’ve got left, if Grant Halliday and Hoff are out the picture. 

I don’t think Lowry is strong enough to play in there, perhaps in the Boyce role but no way could he hold his on in the centre.

4 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

Lol. I was going to start a thread on that! 
just sign a Cameron/Hartley player

😀

After Mikey we’ve had one player this entire century, nay millennium, who emulates that well enough. 
Sure it’s what we’d love but it ain’t that easy for a club of our size. 

Stuttgart 2000
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You are right but Hartley was a free transfer who had been around a few clubs and through about three managers coaching turned into the hero he did. 

Can Remember Hartley and wyness being introduced at half time to the crowd on last day of the season, thought we had signed a Gem in wyness but couldn’t see the sense in the  Hartley signing at all.

never been so wrong in all my life 🇱🇻

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

We will catch out defences if someone breaks forward, at the moment we just aren’t moving the CH pairing out of position enough and the opposition midfield can keep there shape in front of us. We are relying heavily on our wide players. I actually think we either stick with the Kingsley Cochrane combo on the left or get Oda or Vargas out there to cut inside and offer us something different. Then it’s Sibbick in the middle as about the only option we’ve got left, if Grant Halliday and Hoff are out the picture. 

I don’t think Lowry is strong enough to play in there, perhaps in the Boyce role but no way could he hold his on in the centre.

He could play there against Kilmarnock at home as the didn’t have anyone playing against the two, had two just sitting on top of there 5 defenders. 
Shankland played well and kept scoring playing slightly deeper, with Tagawa ahead of him to stretch teams there may be more space for the midfield two to operate and drive forward, our two CHs are on the halfway line and everything is squeezed up, on our pitch leaves little space. Boyce off the bench once the game has slowed down.

The makeup of the midfield is definitely hampering us a bit. 

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, Stuttgart 2000 said:

Can Remember Hartley and wyness being introduced at half time to the crowd on last day of the season, thought we had signed a Gem in wyness but couldn’t see the sense in the  Hartley signing at all.

never been so wrong in all my life 🇱🇻

I think we were all like that, CL eventually played him centrally, Robbo had him running forward with the ball and Burley got him pressing and breaking into the box. 
Took a few managers and styles to get him there.

I remember shouting who is this useless ***** when Fuller first played, hopefully some of the new guys will progress as much as those two 🤞.

Stuttgart 2000
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think we were all like that, CL eventually played him centrally, Robbo had him running forward with the ball and Burley got him pressing and breaking into the box. 

I remember shouting who is this useless ***** when Fuller first played, hopefully some of the new guys will progress as much as those two 🤞.

Fingers crossed, Vargas looks very direct and would be my bet so far  🤞

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Feels like we’ve been too slow in going for Scottish players over the years, despite it working out well enough at times - Stevo was another that made the step up.  

I forgot about Forrest. Also the possibility that (god forbid) Shankland or Cochrane, Sibbick, could leave.  So two or three out and one or two in, with one of the incoming being a CM.  I’d be happy with that.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sure Hartley got boo’d in one game. 

42 minutes ago, GlasgoJambo said:

Lol. I was going to start a thread on that! 
just sign a Cameron/Hartley player

😀

After Mikey we’ve had one player this entire century, nay millennium, who emulates that well enough. 
Sure it’s what we’d love but it ain’t that easy for a club of our size. 

Well it’s just common sense. Mon Savage, get scouting that Niemi/Gordon type keeper. Mind you, a Dave Mackay type could be work well next to the Cameron/Hartley hybrid.