Shankland

Thomaso

We_are_the_Hearts
3 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Not sure I like his latest interview in EEN. Basically calling out the defence, Denholm and Zander in particular and blaming them for the defeat on Sunday. If you’re saying it in the changing rooms then fine. But not to the papers ffs.

In the last two league games we’ve only conceded 1 goal but scored ZERO! In 180 mins against Killie and Dundee we haven’t scored a single goal. I’d keep my power dry if I were you Shanks. 

He used the old saying ‘if we can’t win, make sure we don’t lose.’ To me that equates to saying ‘It’s ok for us attackers not to do our jobs, but you defenders better not concede’. Typical striker and I bet big Zander will have something to say this morning at training. 

Big Zander would be better keeping his mouth shut, that goal was school boy stuff and he was the main culprit with his brain fart. Too much of this hiding nowadays in football, well done Shanks, now sort it out Hearts. Players need to grow a set and stop being so passive.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Not sure I like his latest interview in EEN. Basically calling out the defence, Denholm and Zander in particular and blaming them for the defeat on Sunday. If you’re saying it in the changing rooms then fine. But not to the papers ffs.

In the last two league games we’ve only conceded 1 goal but scored ZERO! In 180 mins against Killie and Dundee we haven’t scored a single goal. I’d keep my power dry if I were you Shanks. 

He used the old saying ‘if we can’t win, make sure we don’t lose.’ To me that equates to saying ‘It’s ok for us attackers not to do our jobs, but you defenders better not concede’. Typical striker and I bet big Zander will have something to say this morning at training. 

He's bang on.

Cheap goals killed us last Season, we can I'll afford a repeat. 

Berra than you
17 minutes ago, DS98 said:

If he's saying it in the dressing room first and then saying it in the press I don't see an issue with it. He's also 100% correct.

It's frustration from us repeating mistakes made last season. As someone who scored 28 goals for hearts last season, it's understandable that he'd be frustrated with repeated defensive mistakes imo.

Are we getting the best out of Shankland in the current formation? Does it suit him? Does it suit the team? Does it suit him playing up top on his own? Think this is another problem that has hampered us a bit this season. Boyce has been trying to get close to him so it’s basically been 2 up top at times but then this is leaving us exposed in the middle of the park. It’s a tough one because he’s the goal scorer and that’s what he’s all about, can do nothing all game but still score a couple. Just think it’s not quite clicked this season? He was performing much better last season and contributing more to the team playing off Gino. Although he has looked much better when Boyce is in the team this season.

By no means digging Shankland out here, he has to play and will score goals. I just wonder how we get things sorted in the final third as someone quite rightly pointed out, we have scored 0 against Dundee and Kilmarnock 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He's bang on.

Cheap goals killed us last Season, we can I'll afford a repeat. 

Forget last season. We’ve been generally decent at the back so far. Its the lack of goals that has cost us, not the defence. We’ve conceded 1 goal in 3 games. The cock up Sunday cost us 1 point. Our toothless performances, especially in attack the last 2 games have cost us 6 points. 

Ronald Villiers
6 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

No Brainer mate, 

If someone was offering me 30-35k per week to play in English championship and potentially go up into to the premier league next season, I would be off in a heartbeat and I love Hearts, Shankland doesn't even support us.

For what it's worth, I seriously hope he doesn't go, as I think we will be in big trouble trying to replace his goals this season, if we do sell I would looking at closer to 10m considering he is our captain and pretty much only goal threat.

True mate, a footballers career is too short.  Would be difficult to turn down the wages they would offer him.

2 hours ago, 5jambo1 said:

Are we getting the best out of Shankland in the current formation? Does it suit him? Does it suit the team? Does it suit him playing up top on his own? Think this is another problem that has hampered us a bit this season. Boyce has been trying to get close to him so it’s basically been 2 up top at times but then this is leaving us exposed in the middle of the park. It’s a tough one because he’s the goal scorer and that’s what he’s all about, can do nothing all game but still score a couple. Just think it’s not quite clicked this season? He was performing much better last season and contributing more to the team playing off Gino. Although he has looked much better when Boyce is in the team this season.

By no means digging Shankland out here, he has to play and will score goals. I just wonder how we get things sorted in the final third as someone quite rightly pointed out, we have scored 0 against Dundee and Kilmarnock 

There's hardly a player in the squad who suits the formation we're playing 

Unknown user
3 hours ago, DS98 said:

Typical striker and I bet big Zander will have something to say this morning at training. 

Yeah, "Sorry lads" I'd imagine 

2 hours ago, 5jambo1 said:

He needs someone to create a chance, they are posted missing so he drifts and becomes less effective.......maybe a manager could sort that out????

Nothing wrong with Shanklands interview. Not sure how it equates to blaming Denholm either, if anything it seems like he's trying to protect him by saying it's his mistake but the experienced paleyrs should help him.

"Obviously young Aidan Denholm makes a mistake, but there are three senior pros around him who could have told him just to go long"

Hungry hippo
3 hours ago, Eddiepolio3 said:

Is shanks speaking his mind because he knows he's off at the end of the week????

I'd say it's the last thing you'd be worrying about if you were leaving. Sounds very frustrated by the goal and desperate for it not to be repeated.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I hope Shanks also has a word with Zander about distributing the ball quicker, be it from a kick or a throw. With the pace we have wide a lot of opportunities are being squandered because Zander wants to hold onto the ball too long or give to one of the center backs in front of him who we all know are slow to play a decisive forward pass.  

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Nothing wrong with Shanklands interview. Not sure how it equates to blaming Denholm either, if anything it seems like he's trying to protect him by saying it's his mistake but the experienced paleyrs should help him.

"Obviously young Aidan Denholm makes a mistake, but there are three senior pros around him who could have told him just to go long"

That's how I read it. 

The goal was an almighty cock up, so someone has to be to blame. Shankland knows the young lad made a mistake but other, more experienced players were also at fault. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saudi window closes today.   Hopefully tomorrow we can all breath a sigh of relief.  Whatever else is happening with the team losing Shanks right now is unthinkable. 

Edited by TexasAndy

2 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Saudi window closes today.   Hopefully tomorrow we can all breath a sigh of relief.  Whatever else is happening with the team losing Shanks right now is unthinkable. 

Liverpool are probably the ones most at risk.  If they lose Salah then they might find themselves out of contention for the league before the next window opens to get a replacement.

Portable Badger

Personally I don't believe Shanklands is a current target for any Saudi club atm.  Think he will need to regularly bang them in for Scotland & continue his Hearts' scoring record before he comes a credible target.

5 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

Personally I don't believe Shanklands is a current target for any Saudi club atm.  Think he will need to regularly bang them in for Scotland & continue his Hearts' scoring record before he comes a credible target.

I agree. I don't think he is playing at a level that the Saudis will be interested in. Glad he is staying though. 

Aye, looks like a Steve Clark special. Take our best player and take the piss out of him. He did the same with Halkett a couple of years ago. He didn’t even play him in friendlies. 

Shankland has played every minute of every game for us so far and has a new baby. He could’ve had a weeks rest. Maybe he’ll think twice about making himself available next time. 

12 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Aye, looks like a Steve Clark special. Take our best player and take the piss out of him. He did the same with Halkett a couple of years ago. He didn’t even play him in friendlies. 

Shankland has played every minute of every game for us so far and has a new baby. He could’ve had a weeks rest. Maybe he’ll think twice about making himself available next time. 

Pretty sure it happened when we had Tony Watt called up too. Not sure who was manager then though.

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

No, it shut yesterday. Still plenty of countries that have their window open until the 15th though.

Ah ok, can't even trust google these days, man. 

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I bet he couldn’t wait to escape and rest in Cyprus 🤣

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Ah ok, can't even trust google these days, man. 

Google is a search engine.

It will give lots of results,  choose a good source. 

Google doesn't need trust, it's the idiots that use the results and believe anything that the see that  are the dafties.

Thunder and Lightning
26 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Oh grow up, he is playing players that have earned their place by continuing to win. 

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Google is a search engine.

It will give lots of results,  choose a good source. 

Google doesn't need trust, it's the idiots that use the results and believe anything that the see that  are the dafties.

Obviously, but the Saudi transfer window is not really a topic you would put effort into, you wouldn't expect someone to lie about that. 

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Nice break in the sun.......he wouldn't have got that here!

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Oh grow up, he is playing players that have earned their place by continuing to win. 

But doesn't even name the top scoring Scottish player in the league on the bench 

Fort Vallance
2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

But doesn't even name the top scoring Scottish player in the league on the bench 

Plus point. He's not going to come back injured. 

There's another game on Tuesday,  he might well be involved then. Clarke regularly rotates who misses out as he's got to leave someone. It was also evident Dykes would be the main backup sub tonight and Clarke has earned the right to pick who he wants.

If Shanks keeps scoring he'll be there or there about the squad. If we make Germany, what an incentive for him to be involved.

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Looks like he knows what he is doing tbf. 

3 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Ooooh that’s me told. 

I couldn’t give a **** about Scotland. I never cared when we were pish and I don’t care now. My only concern is what’s best for Hearts. And that ain’t our best player and captain getting pissed about with zero intention of any game time.  

SectionDJambo

I’m quite content that our captain and top scorer wasn’t exposed to 90 minutes in such heat after the start to the season we’ve had.

Any unused substitute could also be said, by some, to have been taken to Cyprus as a waste of time.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Ooooh that’s me told. 

I couldn’t give a **** about Scotland. I never cared when we were pish and I don’t care now. My only concern is what’s best for Hearts. And that ain’t our best player and captain getting pissed about with zero intention of any game time.  

He wouldn't have been a worse option than adams tonight, that's for sure; gave the ball back every single time and I don't see how he ever could be a better option than Shankland, who can keep the ball

Favourites again

I know Scotland won, but we should have hammered them tonight

Thunder and Lightning
4 hours ago, DS98 said:

Ooooh that’s me told. 

You do realise we won?

🤡 

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Obviously, but the Saudi transfer window is not really a topic you would put effort into, you wouldn't expect someone to lie about that. 

Folk lie about everything!

8 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

There's another game on Tuesday,  he might well be involved then. Clarke regularly rotates who misses out as he's got to leave someone. It was also evident Dykes would be the main backup sub tonight and Clarke has earned the right to pick who he wants.

If Shanks keeps scoring he'll be there or there about the squad. If we make Germany, what an incentive for him to be involved.

Good point, could definitely work in our favour 🤞

4 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

You do realise we won?

🤡

Can you read or are you simple? I don’t care. This is a Shankland thread, not Scotland.

Portable Badger
11 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Not sure Shankland will necessarily get a look in  against England.  I think Clarke will go full strength so he can gauge the team against one of the better Euro teams in preparation for Germany.  Shanks may be in the wider squad but, like last night, he may not make the bench unless there's any call-offs between now and Tuesday.