***Official Rosenborg v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, leginten said:

Quite hard to call, but I would say last year’s Zurich were slightly better than Rosenborg looked last night. We played as well as we did all season for the first 60 minutes against them at Tynecastle and didn’t manage to score.

They definitely were, they were run away Champions, had lost players but had two one goal defeats to Arsenal in the Europa League. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DxB Hearts

• Cruyff

• OTT

• Hearts007

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, Henroddy said:

Love this forum. He's gone from being a game changer/nailed on starter to not good enough in 1 game  🤣🤣

just amazing, some absolute Brain Geniuses on here after a defeat :D

Think a bit of reality is required for some folk on here but I know that’s a bit of a stretch. Like it or not Rosenborg are a bigger club than us, a better team with better players. They might not be what they once were but that’s the only reason we have a chance in this tie.

Why didn’t we ‘have a right go’ or ‘take more chances’? Because we were playing away from home in Europe against a better team. We were missing 5 or 6 players with limited options up front. And right or wrong, coming home with just a 1 goal deficit was completely acceptable prior to the game. 

Absolute Scenes
7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Think a bit of reality is required for some folk on here but I know that’s a bit of a stretch. Like it or not Rosenborg are a bigger club than us, a better team with better players. They might not be what they once were but that’s the only reason we have a chance in this tie.

Why didn’t we ‘have a right go’ or ‘take more chances’? Because we were playing away from home in Europe against a better team. We were missing 5 or 6 players with limited options up front. And right or wrong, coming home with just a 1 goal deficit was completely acceptable prior to the game. 

very balanced post

Hell, Dundee United beat one of the strongest teams in Europe at home - yet look what happened to them last season!

Sometimes teams can pull off results, like Hibs last night but i dont think it should be a reflection on where Hearts are as a team, based on an European away result against a better team than us

57 minutes ago, henryheart said:

There is a reserve league; it's just that we don't play in it. Hibs, Killie and Dundee play in it alongside a number of lower league teams but we have opted not to. Obviously the club doesn't fancy it and while teams play typically only once a month, it does give first team squad players competitive football and allows those who are usually on the bench and others coming back from injury the chance to gain match fitness; something that the Lowland League does not allow. I saw a few SPFL Reserve League games last season where a mixture of well known faces and youngsters played and I quite enjoyed them. Given that at the moment teams only play each other once I don't understand why we don't take part. it is hardly a big commitment.   

Didnt know this. I agree, we should be involved even if it was one or 2 games a month.

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

very balanced post

Hell, Dundee United beat one of the strongest teams in Europe at home - yet look what happened to them last season!

Sometimes teams can pull off results, like Hibs last night but i dont think it should be a reflection on where Hearts are as a team, based on an European away result against a better team than us

The vast majority of rational fans would’ve taken 2-1 before the game and would’ve bit your hand off for it at half time. It’s a decent result and let’s hope we’ve learned from last year against Zurich. We need to score when we’re on top at Tynie. Tagawa will start which changes the entire complexion of our game. 

36 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

In what way?  Can you summarise.

HeartsLive [[email protected]]  Basically admitting that he got the line up wrong  - quote 

He said: "The tie is alive, which was the most important thing when we were 2-0 down at half-time. The important part was doing our utmost not to concede again but to be a threat going forward. I felt in the first half we had a lot of possession, but it was safe, we didn’t play enough in behind them.

“We knew they’d be a threat in transition but we made a couple of errors of judgement and we got punished. And we’ll take responsibility for that because we ask them to be brave on the ball.

"We ask them to break lines and try and puncture the opposition. So that’s on us. We’ll continue to do that. We had a lot of the ball and I felt in the second half we had it in better areas and caused them more issues."

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I’m not sure the bigger club part really stands up tbh, looks like they have a slightly bigger stadium, player’s value look similar. Maybe slightly better if at all. Can’t find turnover figures but obviously playing consistently in Europe helps them. 
Agree with the 2nd paragraph and I would expect our better atmosphere to spur us on to a victory next week. 

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It’s not just 2 games. It’s 9.

As a matter of expectation our style of play should have improved due to a pre season.

It hasn’t.

I think the new signings will make a significant difference. It’s a concern though that without 3 players (1 who hasn’t even played yet) the team were as lacklustre as they were (twice in 2 games so far).

😂 come on.

He took a team who had been losing every week for two months and stopped the rot. I’m not saying he pulled up any trees, apart from a really good performance at county, but he did no wrong.

The ‘style’ should improve this season and if after 10 games we’re still playing in a similar vein then fair enough. 

This is real life it’s not football manager. You don’t just come in one day and say this is how we play now, it takes time to implement. You’ve written him off before he has started which I’m sure you use to criticise other people for doing in the past with other managers, what’s different now?

MarkDevriesScores4

I know “going direct” is not particularly en vogue in football nowadays but having looked at the crusaders v Rosenborg matches, it is obvious that we should have been direct rather than passing the ball to death. 

the one time we were very direct, we got a goal from it. 

hoping lessons have been learned from last night and with the addition of some pace next week we will be a lot more direct at tynecastle. There are goals to be had against this Rosenborg side but passing them to sleep is not the approach we should be taking in my opinion.

We were poor last night, no getting away from it. Rosenborg punished us and showed they have a couple dangerous players. But that was the best they could throw at us, and we got out of there 2-1 down with a first gear performance.

4 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

grow up ?  Deary me. 28 goals last season and he has scored 2 in 2 games this season.  You’re talking bull and then some.  It’s nowhere near a reasoned argument. Maybe we shouldn’t play him again ? Tell me who would you buy to replace him with your magical money tree ?

You obviously don't agree.  So is yours a reasoned argument? 

"You're talking bull.". Very reasoned. 

Where did I say he shouldn't play?  Where did I say he shouldn't play.  I offered an opinion on his weakness, first touch when trying to control the ball.  Too often he doesn't control it.  He reads a game.  He is brilliant with his first time flicks.  He thoroughly deserves to be in the team, of course BUT he consistently, usually earlier in the game, makes a hash of controlling a pass. He did the same in the first half last night with the few passes he received. 

As I said in my previous post, you may not agree but that is a reasoned argument.  You obviously only consider it "reasoned" If you agree.  Typical today and as far as your reply is concerned, that really was as far from reasoning as it's possible to get. 

A bit of an aside, but...

...I found it a bit odd that both teams were playing in their away strips.

Rosenborg usually play in white.

26 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m not sure the bigger club part really stands up tbh, looks like they have a slightly bigger stadium, player’s value look similar. Maybe slightly better if at all. Can’t find turnover figures but obviously playing consistently in Europe helps them. 
Agree with the 2nd paragraph and I would expect our better atmosphere to spur us on to a victory next week. 

I meant more the fact they used to be regulars in the Champions League and I’m sure I heard last night they hold the record for league titles won. At this moment in time they’ve probably just got slightly better players than us, even if we had our full compliment available. So a 2-1 away from home is absolutely fine was more my point. I can see us scoring a few next week.

RustyRightPeg
24 minutes ago, liam11 said:

We were poor last night, no getting away from it. Rosenborg punished us and showed they have a couple dangerous players. But that was the best they could throw at us, and we got out of there 2-1 down with a first gear performance.

We were poor but the positive is they didn’t cause us many issues. The left midfielder Nelson and the teenage lad were the only players who impressed me in truth. 

I think we’ll blow them away next week. 

23 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

I know “going direct” is not particularly en vogue in football nowadays but having looked at the crusaders v Rosenborg matches, it is obvious that we should have been direct rather than passing the ball to death. 

hoping lessons have been learned from last night and with the addition of some pace next week we will be a lot more direct at tynecastle. There are goals to be had against this Rosenborg side but passing them to sleep is not the approach we should be taking in my opinion.

This is the point I made earlier.  Mix it up a bit.  Their defence quite clearly didn't like the physical stuff, so use that to our advantage.  If nothing else, it gets them second guessing and gives us a bit more space to play.  I know it isn't very in vogue but did their defenders win a header all night?  Get it on top of them and let them know there's game on.  Let our ball players pick up and make things happen.

It's plan B stuff, but the players need to realise a weakness and exploit it during a game.

They seemed to have a weakness to me and a full Tynie, our players absolutely flying, I honestly think Thurday could be what Zurich nearly was.

VagabondJambo
10 minutes ago, Ski Nae said:

What a contrast it was - us in our most beautifully simple strip, and them wearing a billboard outfit advertising every Tom, Dick and Harry organisation in Norway 😆

Know I'll be going over well discussed matters but first chance to post since the game.

Starting Beni was a shocking choice. I couldn't believe the decision before the game and he was shown up from the first ten minutes until half time looking more off the pace as the game went on. How he lasted until half time was a bigger concern than starting him. Fair enough they may have thought he could start but when it's evident too all that he shouldn't have rectify the error! He seemed to blow out while struggling to match a runner for the second goal and clearly hurt himself, hopefully it's a strain or something not so serious and he can get back to building up to sharpness and fitness. 

Why was he starting and how the **** did he last on the pitch til half time when clearly so far off the pace? 

Tactically inept in the first half with little game management shown. The game was played in front of the Rosenburg team and not once did we ask questions of the defence, never turned them at all. Lumped balls aimlessly and coupled with the lack of mobility in the team from middle to front it made us exceptionally easy to defend against and control. 

Far better control of the game in the second half, Haring helped and Lowry and Forrest started to engage defenders at least without maybe getting at them like we would like. They mismanaged the game in the second half as I think another goal for them would have killed us off and we would have been trying to come home with a three zero. Hearts have a lifeline with the second half victory and I would have taken that at half time in a heartbeat. Credit for the second half result but I'm concerned at the team selection and lack of reaction to what was going wrong in the first half. 

39 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

There CHs did not enjoying dealing with balls over the top. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
47 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

😂 come on.

He took a team who had been losing every week for two months and stopped the rot. I’m not saying he pulled up any trees, apart from a really good performance at county, but he did no wrong.

The ‘style’ should improve this season and if after 10 games we’re still playing in a similar vein then fair enough. 

This is real life it’s not football manager. You don’t just come in one day and say this is how we play now, it takes time to implement. You’ve written him off before he has started which I’m sure you use to criticise other people for doing in the past with other managers, what’s different now?

People were fawning over the changes he made that were noticeable last season. It’s the reason he got the job. So your point doesn’t stack up.

I agree we played generally better for the most part in his 7 games but we didn’t win when we needed to - St Mirren.

That was put down to him not having had a pre-season. Ok I get that.

We haven’t played anywhere near how we played sometimes in those last 7 games this season.

I don’t think it’s wrong to question why.

Unknown user

It's only with hindsight that starting Beni was a bad idea, I was quite excited to see his name in the starting 11.

He was ready last season but put on ice, he's been through pre season like everyone else and had minutes in, he'll have been dying to play. It really didn't work and it sounds like they should have reacted quicker, but I can't blame anyone for picking our best player when apparently ready to go.

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's only with hindsight that starting Beni was a bad idea, I was quite excited to see his name in the starting 11.

He was ready last season but put on ice, he's been through pre season like everyone else and had minutes in, he'll have been dying to play. It really didn't work and it sounds like they should have reacted quicker, but I can't blame anyone for picking our best player when apparently ready to go.

Yeah. I have to admit that some of the over-reactions about Beni have confused me. He looked ok pre-season when he played, and came on against St Johnstone. He should have maybe have been hooked after half an hour when it was pretty clear he wasn't ready, but I was excited to see his name in the starting eleven too.

5 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

Yeah. I have to admit that some of the over-reactions about Beni have confused me. He looked ok pre-season when he played, and came on against St Johnstone. He should have maybe have been hooked after half an hour when it was pretty clear he wasn't ready, but I was excited to see his name in the starting eleven too.

When did you see Beni play in pre season? When he came on against St Johnstone he looked dazzed to me. 

After 18 months out Beni needs to be coming on of the bench not starting away from home in Europe against a team 20 odd games in to there season.

Edited by jtkb

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I meant more the fact they used to be regulars in the Champions League and I’m sure I heard last night they hold the record for league titles won. At this moment in time they’ve probably just got slightly better players than us, even if we had our full compliment available. So a 2-1 away from home is absolutely fine was more my point. I can see us scoring a few next week.

Agreed 👍🏽

Let's be honest rosenburg would prob be top 4 in our league they are no Mugs. There experience in Europe is way beyond all but the butt cheeks. Sometimes we over estimate scottish football. One of our clubs got put out by sligo rovers for gods sake. Only niggling feeling is seems like a missed chance to get a better result. But 2 1 away at a team like rosenburg is no real shame and the fact we are not happy with 2 1 away gives me confidence going forward.

32 minutes ago, jtkb said:

When did you see Beni play in pre season? When he came on against St Johnstone he looked dazzed to me. 

After 18 months out Beni needs to be coming on of the bench not starting away from home in Europe against a team 20 odd games in to there season.

Yes, was surprised by that. The SJ showed he needed brought back gradually, not throw in at the deep end, away in Europe. Boyce on the other hand looks strong and sharp.

Anyway, worse Hearts teams have turned it around against better European teams before. Lok Leipzig comes to mind. Might need a Drew Busby though.

1 hour ago, Gundermann said:

Yes, was surprised by that. The SJ showed he needed brought back gradually, not throw in at the deep end, away in Europe. Boyce on the other hand looks strong and sharp.

Anyway, worse Hearts teams have turned it around against better European teams before. Lok Leipzig comes to mind. Might need a Drew Busby though.

Now that was a European game and a half same on Thursday please Hearts 👍 we have the Japanese Drew Busby so no fears. 🤣 Step up Tagawa 😁

That-Day-In-May

Does anyone have any footage from the match last night? Didn’t get to see the game and haven’t seen a thing from it 

Ricardo Quaresma

3 hours ago, Ski Nae said:

I think the Shorts, Tops and Socks all have to be a different colour

ScandinavianJambo
7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He had to start sometime, we've not seen him in training and he has played minutes.

Captain hindsight stuff -but I agree it was wrong and probably should have been subbed earlier when it was obvious he was struggling. 

I would rather he had come on as a sub to build up his match fitness. Now he is injured again which is dreadful....

13 minutes ago, That-Day-In-May said:

Does anyone have any footage from the match last night? Didn’t get to see the game and haven’t seen a thing from it 

1 hour ago, Gundermann said:

Nothing compares to the old Tynecastle on a European night. Never experienced anything remotely close to the atmosphere against Bayern since, nor ever will. 

26 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

They were better than rosenborg

About the same level for me. As I’ve already stated they were rock bottom of the Swiss league at the time and about to punt their manager because they were so bad. 

Just now, DS98 said:

About the same level for me. As I’ve already stated they were rock bottom of the Swiss league at the time and about to punt their manager because they were so bad. 

Still beat us twice

Ex member of the SaS
5 hours ago, whyskey said:

The problem in Scotland is that in the early stages of European games, it is that we are unprepared, Rosenborg are up to speed we were not. Should we start the league cup earlier and include our European clubs, this would give us four league cup games and one league game thus given our clubs a better change.

Not convinced by this not up to speed/ match sharpness argument. Does a joiner forget how to use a hammer and saw after nipping off to Benidorm for a couple of weeks?

These are meant to be professional athletes and the lay off between seasons is not huge. What we watched was simply players who looked like they had never seen a football before, they looked like Dalkeith primary school kids with less running around. When we take throw in's you can see the lack of desire and movement, this is why our throws take an age. The lack of movement up front is worrying, how can you seriously expect a single player in the box managing to do anything against two or three defenders? We need to move the ball quicker and get players forward and into the box ready to pounce on crosses. Too many players walking around with no desire to get into spaces and create something.

4 hours ago, DS98 said:

I don’t think they’re a better team than us. Bigger club arguably yes. More experienced in Europe undoubtedly.

Ill be very disappointed if we don’t recover the tie and put them out having seen them last night.

22 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Still beat us twice

Zurich weren’t good. That’s revisionism at its finest. They were slightly better than us and well below OF level. Same as Rosenborg imo.

12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I don’t think they’re a better team than us. Bigger club arguably yes. More experienced in Europe undoubtedly.

Ill be very disappointed if we don’t recover the tie and put them out having seen them last night.

Based on last night it’s close. They’ve got a few technical players that are above our level imo and the way they countered with 1 touch stuff was quite impressive. In saying that they looked nothing special at the back so I too would be disappointed if we go out to them with the score line as it is now. 

4 hours ago, Ski Nae said:

I could be talking shite here but don’t the away team get first dibs on the strip choice to save them packing 2 or 3 sets

4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Based on last night it’s close. They’ve got a few technical players that are above our level imo and the way they countered with 1 touch stuff was quite impressive. In saying that they looked nothing special at the back so I too would be disappointed if we go out to them with the score line as it is now. 

Suspect they will sit in next week, might be a game to go for longer balls with Boyce and Shankland rather than try play through them. I  thought they started to look a bit shaky when we went more direct towards the end of the game yesterday.

10 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Zurich weren’t good. That’s revisionism at its finest. They were slightly better than us and well below OF level. Same as Rosenborg imo.

Zurich we’re a much better side than Rosenborg IMO

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I still maintain, had we got a goal in the first half when we were fantastic then we would have beaten Zurich.

Nelly Terraces
6 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Yip, hugely dissapointed by FM post match comments.

Clinging to hope it was for players ears/heads more than ours.

Yeah pal, that's what I'm hoping, that there's one story for the media & public consumption but behind closed doors it's a different, more honest & frank, story.

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

I thought them quite quick in transition also. Their two banks of 4 quite happy to watch us in possesion 40 yds out most of first half. Suspect with a 1-2 lead, we will see similar next week. Difficult one, we need to ruffle them early on, but losing first goal will be curtains.

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I still maintain, had we got a goal in the first half when we were fantastic then we would have beaten Zurich.

We absolutely would’ve. We made them look like a bottom 6 team getting the runaround. They couldn’t get the ball.