Fringe 2023

The new West End

2 hours ago, H2 said:

A Comedy of Operas at the EICC, great show, must be he most comfortable venue.

Fell asleep watching Ross Noble in there many years ago. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Sooperstar

• H2

• The new West End

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Fell asleep watching Ross Noble in there many years ago. 

🤣 At least you slept in comfort

Carl Fredrickson

Last Sunday I took my kids in to Hunters Square and the Royal Mile to see street performers. They enjoyed it so much they asked to go back today. 

We went to a 10.30am kids show - Halloween Party - and they loved it. 

Highlights of the street performers for me were a Japanese lady who did canvas paintings with incredible detail. My daughter was so impressed that she bought one of them. 

The other was a Japanese street mime artists today who drew a large crowd and was very, very funny. We always donate as I appreciate for many of the performers this will be their job. 

I would recommend going to see A Manchester Anthem. It's an hour long, one-man play. It's about a working class boy from Manchester who gets into Oxford Uni and has one last night out in Manchester before leaving. The story is woven through with a lot of music from Manchester. 

2 hours ago, Pele_Is_God said:

Got 3 tickets for Frank Skinner for sale for Thursday 17th at 8.50. Looking for £45

Don't think you'll get much interest on here! 

will-i-am-a-jambo

Try the Jollyboat.

A couple of guys singing topical funny songs. They take the piss out of themselves too.

They are doing an 8pm and 9.15pm shows at the Liquid Rooms. It's free/donation. 

Both shows are different apparently. I've only seen the 8pm one but intend to see the later one at some point.

Saw Brotipo yesterday and the two 5 year olds we were with loved it.

From an adult point of view, much better than the Greatest Magic Show which we saw the week before.

16 hours ago, Pele_Is_God said:

Got 3 tickets for Frank Skinner for sale for Thursday 17th at 8.50. Looking for £45

Seen him on Friday night, only complaint was that he's only on for an hour, thoroughly enjoyed his set!

JudyJudyJudy
17 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Don't think you'll get much interest on here! 

thats a wind up surely ? :) 

Dennis Reynolds

Was in town last night and enjoyed it. Good atmosphere. Spent a fortune but it is what it is. Good for a wander and to people watch.

Saw a show that had a few acts in it. First comedian was absolutely brutal. Barely registered a laugh and the two drunk ladies he interacted with got the biggest laugh. Second guy was alright but he was actually a stand in as another act hadn't turned up. Third one was a drag act that mimed/danced. Dancing was fine but the miming was all a good second off the song. 

All in all, wouldn't recommend it. Binge the fringe it was called. 

JudyJudyJudy

Any recommendations for tonight ? Meeting a friend at 530 at George street and we are just going to have a look about and see what tickles our fancy unless there’s a good show someone has seen? We both like burlesque , stand up or circuses 

JudyJudyJudy

Went to see " Birthmarked" at Assembly rooms  tonight

"Birthmarked tells the true story of Brook’s experiences growing up as a Jehovah’s Witness until he was disfellowshipped at the age of 23 because of his sexuality. In a faith that believes Armageddon is imminent, homosexuals will be destroyed, and everyone believes in ‘The Truth’, a young Witness experiences turmoil and pain before discovering his own truth. This funny and moving semi-improvised show follows Brook as he finds the strength to take a leap into the unknown, and shines a light on what it means to be marked… at birth".

It was very good. Not outstanding as it felt  a bit 5th form " lets put on a show " but enjoyable with some important things to say, At the end he becomes a tap dancing singing zebra in heels. So  might be worthwhile going to see stoned. :) 

periodictabledancer

Just back from a night out at the Hanover St Tap venue.

Two Feckers being the highlight and Sergi the Spanish comedian was outstanding.

Yeah, Spanish.

Also a v good Scouse comedian that I just couldn't keep up with.  

We paid £10 a head for one hour of top quality comedy. 

Give it a go . 

JudyJudyJudy

I had a good day and night at the fringe yesterday with a mate. 

We went to see this show first about Lena Zavaroni 

Lena | Events | Assembly Festival

It told her tragic tale. It really was. Didn't actually know a lot about her but my first girlfriend !!  bought me her album when we were both 10...she must have known i was a screamer.  In retrospect the album was ghastly.

Anyway it seems she was basically sold to agents at around 10 and went to live with her agent in London away from her parents.  The parents really made a pact with the devil by doing this as Lena missed them as most kids would. Then anorexia  nervosa  set in due to her feelings of low self esteem and body image. She also had a peculiarly old fashioned image  *even for the 1970s and looked like a young Judy . Now that should have set alarm bells. The production was outstanding and the lass playing Lena was terrific.  At the end of the performance the actor playing her day informed us that Lenas real dad was in the audience and thanked him for sharing the story. My god it must have been tough watching this show.

We had a few expensive pints in the George square venue. Nice place though and went to see a physcal theatre " comedy" circus mainly focussing on women and menstruation. My pal loved it. I found it " challenging " :) 

YUCK Circus | Dance, Physical Theatre and Circus | Edinburgh Festival Fringe (edfringe.com)

Then we ended up at a gay bar and watched a drag show which was mildly entertaining. I have seen him years ago and is " old drag" which i much prefer to " new drag".  Ended up having a skin full l but was good day. 

Watched a couple of shows in Dropkick Murphy's yesterday. First one was alright. 2nd one was The Best of The Irish and was brilliant. 

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Watched a couple of shows in Dropkick Murphy's yesterday. First one was alright. 2nd one was The Best of The Irish and was brilliant. 

We seen that before Abandonman. The MC guy was the best of them all.

• 7 months later...
Richardcobb

Sorry for the shameless promo but my Fringe show from last year went up on YouTube last weekend if anyone fancies it or has time to kill this weekend on the way to the game. Basically takes place on the night Hearts were away to Fiorentina and it’s all about getting distracted.

If you enjoyed it I’m back at the Fringe this year with a new show about setting myself daft challenges and running the Edinburgh Marathon last year. 

Thanks 🙏 

https://youtu.be/fn5KaEfKL1o?si=1yeDCf_fAalpfLo1

IMG_1697.jpeg