• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tightrope

• OBE

• Ulysses

• i wish jj was my dad

tightrope
6 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

If you fall and die coming out of an airport does that count as an air travel death? 

Have no clue, do you? But rather than making some pointless comment on a forum, I will do a bit of research and get back to you..........

tightrope
6 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

If you fall and die coming out of an airport does that count as an air travel death? 

No, but if you fell off the plane, then yes. This is relevant to the topic In what way...?

Doctor FinnBarr
7 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

No, they'd blame it on the airlines allowing too much alcohol to be served on flights.

Harry Potter
30 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

No, they'd blame it on the airlines allowing too much alcohol to be served on flights.

people dont have to drink it.

manaliveits105
15 hours ago, theshed said:

This plus paying higher tax ect has probably just rubber stamped a labour win when it comes round 

Mon the Scottish Labour 

hughesie27
10 hours ago, tightrope said:

BTW if someone falls and dies coming out of the pub, it's counted as an alcohol related death. 

Out of curiosity, if the reason you fell was because you were hammered then how could you argue anything other than it being alcohol related?

8 hours ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Who does it hit the most in society, - a) those who struggle to get by? or b) those who don't care about a few quid more on their weekly shop?

And, a) avoid the question above if you are snp/green, or b) answer the question if you care about the poorest in society who struggle to get by. 

Is it temperance for the poorest that the snp/greens want. Or are they all Michael Matheson;s who only think the taxpayer exists for those who are above the law? Answers on a postcard.

It is not intended to make people spend more money on alcohol. It is intended to make people drink less alcohol.

If you're struggling to get by, don't drink so much. Make healthier life choices. It'll do you good.

So people's opinions on this vary depending on which political party they support? Right then.

The Mighty Thor

They should cut the price of fags down to a fiver a packet. 

I mean it's not fair to punish the poor is it?

It's not like lung cancer and other smoking related issues kill so why not just let people have at it. 

The NHS can cope. 

hughesie27
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's not like lung cancer and other smoking related issues kill so why not just let people have at it. 

The NHS can cope. 

Do you know that if you sook on a fag too hard and it ends up lodged in your throat, killing you, it goes down as a smoking related death?

skinnybob72
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Do you know that if you sook on a fag too hard and it ends up lodged in your throat, killing you, it goes down as a smoking related death?

What about if you are smoking a fag while crossing the road and get hit and killed by a bus? Smoking related death, road death, or a 50/50 split for the statistics? 😏. And I can't imagine the confusion if you were also swigging a can of Frosty Jack...

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...., how do they really know MUP works? If, on average, people are drinking less there is more chance that's because we're going through the worst cost of living increases for decades. Taxation is at the highest level ever. Disposable income is being eroded for the majority of people. The younger generation are drinking less than was the case 20-30 years ago. There are many, many reasons why people might drink less, one of which 'might' be the MUP. 

Just now, skinnybob72 said:

What about if you are smoking a fag while crossing the road and get hit and killed by a bus? Smoking related death, road death, or a 50/50 split for the statistics? 😏. And I can't imagine the confusion if you were also swigging a can of Frosty Jack...

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...., how do they really know MUP works? If, on average, people are drinking less there is more chance that's because we're going through the worst cost of living increases for decades. Taxation is at the highest level ever. Disposable income is being eroded for the majority of people. The younger generation are drinking less than was the case 20-30 years ago. There are many, many reasons why people might drink less, one of which 'might' be the MUP. 

So things going up in price is having an impact?

Have a think about what MUP is and then consider what you wrote again. :lol: 

Gundermann
11 hours ago, tightrope said:

It's nothing more than a tax on the working man. Why should I pay for the problems of a very small minority. Look at the numbers involved. It's a vanity project. My Labour list MSP has stated that they are against it. Sarah Boyack. Look at the numbers ffs. BTW if someone falls and dies coming out of the pub, it's counted as an alcohol related death. 

Wait until you see all disabled access ramps everywhere or try taking booze into a fitba game.

hughesie27
6 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Depends if you have had Covid in the last month or not.

skinnybob72
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

So things going up in price is having an impact?

Have a think about what MUP is and then consider what you wrote again. :lol: 

I did. 30% increase in the cost of a £15 bottle of booze isn't going to have the same impact on your disposable income as your monthly mortgage payment going up hundreds of pounds, or your energy bill trebling over the last 18 months, or your food bill going up week after week after week. 

The Mighty Thor
21 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Depends if you have had Covid in the last month or not.

Then that will be a space alien jew conspircay turbo cancer juice related death. 

I saw it on Neil Oliver's programme. 

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

So people's opinions on this vary depending on which political party they support? Right then.

Quite predictable, eh? 

I don't really have a particular view and certainly not a well informed one. My initial thought was that the less well off will sacrifice something else if they need to drink but then again if you need it then pricing won't make much if any difference at all. And it certainly won't influence what I choose to buy. 

It might however discourage the sort of habits being formed from younger people being attracted to cheap firewater. That might take years or even generations for the benefits to become apparent but I think that there is enough anecdotal evidence forming to see changes in the habits of young folk. Certainly in comparison to my generation. So I'm hopeful if not all that confident that it will make a.difference. 

I can think back to the shite spouted 20 years ago about how smoking in pubs was all about nanny state. The cultural shift since then has been enormous and we'll see the benefits of that for generations to come. 

SNP, but....

tightrope
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Quite predictable, eh? 

I don't really have a particular view and certainly not a well informed one. My initial thought was that the less well off will sacrifice something else if they need to drink but then again if you need it then pricing won't make much if any difference at all. And it certainly won't influence what I choose to buy. 

It might however discourage the sort of habits being formed from younger people being attracted to cheap firewater. That might take years or even generations for the benefits to become apparent but I think that there is enough anecdotal evidence forming to see changes in the habits of young folk. Certainly in comparison to my generation. So I'm hopeful if not all that confident that it will make a.difference. 

I can think back to the shite spouted 20 years ago about how smoking in pubs was all about nanny state. The cultural shift since then has been enormous and we'll see the benefits of that for generations to come. 

SNP, but....

Yes, they are all smoking weed and banging cocaine up their beaks. Much healthier. Went out drinking with mates every weekend for years. None of us are alcoholics and none of us have died from alcohol related illness. ......yet.

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Yes, they are all smoking weed and banging cocaine up their beaks. Much healthier. Went out drinking with mates every weekend for years. None of us are alcoholics and none of us have died from alcohol related illness. ......yet.

There will always be kids out their tits on something and there is probably a greater range of affordable choices at their disposal nowadays. I'm glad none of your circle have experienced drink problems. I certainly know a lot of alcoholics from my younger days and a few of them are now dead as it happens. Might be just the circles I move in now but the younger people I know have very different drinking habits from what mine were in those days. If that is indicative of the wider population I think we will see benefits  in the generations to come. 

3 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

What if it wasn't a bus that hit you but someone who has fallen out of a plane?

Japan Jambo
4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The NHS can cope. 

Would you advocate a kebab pie tax?

skinnybob72
47 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

What if it wasn't a bus that hit you but someone who has fallen out of a plane?

Like if Pinball landed on you? 😂

The Mighty Thor
15 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Would you advocate a kebab pie tax?

Following the logic of the thread since yesterday the kebab pies should be liquidised and mainlined straight into your arteries. FOC. On the NHS.

Japan Jambo
13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Following the logic of the thread since yesterday the kebab pies should be liquidised and mainlined straight into your arteries. FOC. On the NHS.

The FOC bit should swing it.

1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

Like if Pinball landed on you? 😂

:scenes:

Imagine if they hit the bus causing the driver to then total you

• 2 months later...
maroongoals

The supermarkets must be laughing their socks of a free 30% profit handed to them by our Government, would have thought more if they had used the money for health boards,

tightrope
11 hours ago, maroongoals said:

The supermarkets must be laughing their socks of a free 30% profit handed to them by our Government, would have thought more if they had used the money for health boards,

It really is a disgrace and will achieve nothing. They admit that the figures are open to interpretation and basically guess work. A tax on responsible drinkers due to a very small minority who abuse alcohol. Those with issues will drink regardless. It just won't help those in need.

29 minutes ago, tightrope said:

It really is a disgrace and will achieve nothing. They admit that the figures are open to interpretation and basically guess work. A tax on responsible drinkers due to a very small minority who abuse alcohol. Those with issues will drink regardless. It just won't help those in need.

Its not a tax though. Just a surcharge.

On 09/02/2024 at 08:45, The Mighty Thor said:

The NHS can cope. 

The Government don't care about your health 😅 They're doing it to fund themselves for other things. 

hughesie27
55 minutes ago, Negan said:

The Government don't care about your health 😅 They're doing it to fund themselves for other things. 

How much does the Gov make from this?

tightrope
1 hour ago, pablo said:

Its not a tax though. Just a surcharge.

You can call it what you want, its an unnecessary cost imposed by the Government, big brother strikes again. 

43 minutes ago, tightrope said:

You can call it what you want, its an unnecessary cost imposed by the Government, big brother strikes again. 

It’s not gathered into government coffers. Would make more sense if it was. 

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

How much does the Gov make from this?

How long is a piece of string?

1 hour ago, tightrope said:

yep

hughesie27
4 minutes ago, Negan said:

How long is a piece of string?

Except there would be a set figure they would get. Is it maybe, £0? 

Jim_Duncan
15 hours ago, maroongoals said:

Does none of it get handed over to the government to fund addiction programmes or into the general NHS pot?

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Except there would be a set figure they would get. Is it maybe, £0? 

Aye we will go for 0

frankblack
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Does none of it get handed over to the government to fund addiction programmes or into the general NHS pot?

I don't believe so, I think taxation benefits would go to the Treasury Dept.

Jambo-Jimbo

The alcohol content of most supermarket wine has already been lowered as a result of taxation (not this tax) with many now at 11% or even 10.5% down from 12%-13% so as they can keep the price down.  Beer will be next if not already being done, 5% down to 4.5% etc.

26 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The alcohol content of most supermarket wine has already been lowered as a result of taxation (not this tax) with many now at 11% or even 10.5% down from 12%-13% so as they can keep the price down.  Beer will be next if not already being done, 5% down to 4.5% etc.

It'll take longer to fall out with folk with the % falling, probably less falling tae...

I’d like to think it would work - but anyone who thinks expensive booze stops people drinking (or problem drinking) just needs to visit anywhere in Scandinavia / Nordics at the weekend.

AlimOzturk

Been finding myself drinking far less these days simply because, into my mid 30s now trying to avoid feeling like my body is about to completely implode on me with a hangover. So been finding myself drinking non alcoholic options in bars and at home.  Never thought I would see the day!

My question is why is it as expensive and sometimes more so to buy these? Surely if they are trying to reduce peoples alcohol consumption then getting these products at a reduced cost would help this?

hmfcbilly
4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Been finding myself drinking far less these days simply because, into my mid 30s now trying to avoid feeling like my body is about to completely implode on me with a hangover. So been finding myself drinking non alcoholic options in bars and at home.  Never thought I would see the day!

My question is why is it as expensive and sometimes more so to buy these? Surely if they are trying to reduce peoples alcohol consumption then getting these products at a reduced cost would help this?

Supply and demand...much larger volumes of drink containing alcohol sold than the non alcoholic versions I'd suspect leads to the higher cost 

AlimOzturk
51 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Supply and demand...much larger volumes of drink containing alcohol sold than the non alcoholic versions I'd suspect leads to the higher cost 

yeah I suppose this makes sense. Not doing alot to encourage people not to ditch the booze though. 

Honestly think the Scottish government are going about it in the wrong way if they truly want folk to ditch the drinking habits. Charging folk more does **** all to change peoples habits. 

1971fozzy

It’ll be like the Handmaids tale before long. Just who the fek do they think they are ?  I swear they will bring in prohibition if they could. Horrendous party.

Personally we will be going to Berwick as I sometimes work there. 

1971fozzy
55 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

yeah I suppose this makes sense. Not doing alot to encourage people not to ditch the booze though. 

Honestly think the Scottish government are going about it in the wrong way if they truly want folk to ditch the drinking habits. Charging folk more does **** all to change peoples habits. 

let’s be honest it’s a tax. They don’t give a crap , it’s just another tax on us. 
they will charge us for going to the toilet next

Edited by 1971fozzy

Jim_Duncan

People don’t drink because it’s cheap, nor will they stop drinking because it’s expensive. 

Either ban it completely or let people make their own choices. 

Doctor FinnBarr
41 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Is anyone on this forum actually affected by minimum alcohol pricing?

Most I'd imagine, instead of paying around £15 for a litre of vodka in England its £18.75 a litre here, queer difference. I can afford to buy it in when I need to but the amount of runners from Scotmid in Blackburn with a bottle suggest that many can't. Same runners go round the corner and smash the neck off the bottle to get rid of the security tag then neck it neat.

I'm guessing Tesco Bathgate has the same problem as their spirit bottles are now covered in a wire bag connected to the tag. Maybe the runners would do it regardless of price though.