Minimum Alcohol Price

skinnybob72

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, XB52 said:

My only issue with Minimum pricing is that the extra should be taxed and ring fenced for NHS alcohol treatment centres. 

Agreed. That the retailers are allowed to profit (further) from this really sticks in the craw.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tightrope

• OBE

• Ulysses

• i wish jj was my dad

JudyJudyJudy

I cant understand why the extra profit from the inceases isnt channelled into alcohol rehab projects . " LEAP" is a great project which helps users of all addictions.  

Bunny Munro
On 19/04/2024 at 09:52, OBE said:

If you are a responsible/irresponsible drinker that prefers premium wines, beers and spirits, you won't be paying more.

Of course you will.

Using vodka, and randomish numbers as an example. Under the 50p unit price the cheapest vodka is about £13. So Smirnoff can be £17 as midrange and Grey Goose £25 as premium.

If the cheapest vodka gets put up to £17, do you really think Smirnoff will still be £17 aswell? Of course it won't, in order to preserve it's midrange place it'll move up to £20 and Grey Goose to £30 to seem premium.

Greedy Jambo

Explain this one to me. 

Bottle of Bulmers in Scotmid, £2.55

Bottle of Bulmers in Home Bargains, £1.50

4 pack of 440ml Coors in Scotmid, £5

4 pack of 568ml Coors in Home Bargains, £5

660ml Bottle of Budweiser in Scotmid, £2.55

660ml Bottle of Budweiser in Home Bargains, £1.89

Obviously, the bigger the company, the more you can buy, the more you buy, the cheaper the price, but minimum pricing seems to be non-existent here. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Doctor FinnBarr
On 19/04/2024 at 09:44, Ulysses said:

If you're asking why you should pay more then you're demonstrating that my point is relevant. If people weren't affected by minimum pricing, they wouldn't be asking why they should pay more.  I'm wondering who on JKB is affected by it, which is a fair and relevant question for the point being discussed. 

I'm asking for some of the reasons I set out to Doctor FinnBarr above.  We introduced minimum pricing here a couple of years ago, at higher rates than Scotland.  I've heard very little about it since, partly because our alcohol prices were higher than Scotland's to begin with.  Even though our minimum unit price is 70% higher than Scotland's, I'm not sure how many people it affected.

I don't know how this affects the argument but I'm sitting buckled on a balcony in Tenerife just now, local vodka is 6 euros, can I defect? 

tightrope
4 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

I don't know how this affects the argument but I'm sitting buckled on a balcony in Tenerife just now, local vodka is 6 euros, can I defect? 

Can you bring me back ten litres, I will pay 15 a litre, oh and I love you. FTH

Doctor FinnBarr
7 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Can you bring me back ten litres, I will pay 15 a litre, oh and I love you. FTH

No fickin way, it's all for me, hic. 

Ulysses
45 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Los Cristianos? Any protests nearby?

il Duce McTarkin
51 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

I don't know how this affects the argument but I'm sitting buckled on a balcony in Tenerife just now

:sweeet:

'Av it.

12 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

Of course you will.

Using vodka, and randomish numbers as an example. Under the 50p unit price the cheapest vodka is about £13. So Smirnoff can be £17 as midrange and Grey Goose £25 as premium.

If the cheapest vodka gets put up to £17, do you really think Smirnoff will still be £17 aswell? Of course it won't, in order to preserve it's midrange place it'll move up to £20 and Grey Goose to £30 to seem premium.

Your theory being correct, it might encourage the Smirnoff tipplers to drop a league, Smirnoff sales fall of a cliff, price gets amended...maybe?

Doctor FinnBarr
7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Los Cristianos? Any protests nearby?

No protests that we seen but you'd not see any because of the crowds at the beer festival. When I say beer festival I actually mean Heineken festival, about 10 beer stalls and the only beer was Heineken. We just watched the proceedings from a Belgian bar. 

Ulysses
4 hours ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

We just watched the proceedings from a Belgian bar. 

Proper order. 🍺

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Proper order. 🍺

All the way to the Canaries to drink in a Belgian bar run by an Italian, I'm proper international me. 

Ulysses
5 hours ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

All the way to the Canaries to drink in a Belgian bar run by an Italian, I'm proper international me. 

:laugh:

On 21/04/2024 at 15:19, Doctor FinnBarr said:

:lol: