Minimum Alcohol Price

skinnybob72

Ulysses
11 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Most I'd imagine, instead of paying around £15 for a litre of vodka in England its £18.75 a litre here, queer difference. I can afford to buy it in when I need to but the amount of runners from Scotmid in Blackburn with a bottle suggest that many can't. Same runners go round the corner and smash the neck off the bottle to get rid of the security tag then neck it neat.

I'm guessing Tesco Bathgate has the same problem as their spirit bottles are now covered in a wire bag connected to the tag. Maybe the runners would do it regardless of price though.

Thanks.  The cheapest vodka I can see on Tesco online is their own brand at £17 a litre. They don't sell that here, AFAIK.

A litre of Smirnoff red label is £19 "clubcard price" online in Tesco UK.  The same bottle bought from Tesco online here would cost €31, or about £26.70.  

It all depends on what you drink and where you get it, I suppose.  Ireland's minimum unit price is the equivalent of 85p.  That has a small effect on beers and wines generally, and no effect on pub prices, but it is more noticeable in the case of spirits bought in off licences.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tightrope

• OBE

• Ulysses

• i wish jj was my dad

tightrope
5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Is anyone on this forum actually affected by minimum alcohol pricing?

Really an irrelevant point, why should I, a responsible drinker, pay more because of a tiny minority of abusers? I enjoy a drink at the weekend. Between utilities. Mortgage rates, insurances etc. Things are getting tight. I work full time, why should I be screwed for having a drink. Certainly can't afford to go out these days.

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Everyone who drinks alcohol? 

02446e00-fbdc-11ee-a9f7-4d961743aa47.png.webp

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Most I'd imagine, instead of paying around £15 for a litre of vodka in England its £18.75 a litre here, queer difference. I can afford to buy it in when I need to but the amount of runners from Scotmid in Blackburn with a bottle suggest that many can't. Same runners go round the corner and smash the neck off the bottle to get rid of the security tag then neck it neat.

I'm guessing Tesco Bathgate has the same problem as their spirit bottles are now covered in a wire bag connected to the tag. Maybe the runners would do it regardless of price though.

I doubt that their shopping habits have changed due to minimum pricing. 

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

correct. folk that like a drink will always find the money, enjoy i say, 

13 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Neither do I tbh. Has anything changed as a result of it? Health wise I mean? Genuinely don't know.

53 minutes ago, pablo said:

£18.25 bottle of whisky will still be £18.25 after the new min price increase...

maroongoals

The funds from the extra tax or deterent price if thats what we call it should be used to help the problem of Alcoholism, all it does is give the retailers extra income so pretty pointless in my opinion

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

correct. folk that like a drink will always find the money, enjoy i say, 

👍🍺🍷

i wish jj was my dad
8 minutes ago, pablo said:

Neither do I tbh. Has anything changed as a result of it? Health wise I mean? Genuinely don't know.

I don't know. I think I posted earlier on this thread or another that it would probably take years to know if it changes habits. It won't make any difference to me I'll buy what I like rather than concern myself with the price and it won't change the habits of alcoholics. If they need it they'll get it.

It may change habits of younger people or folk on low income though. 

Banning smoking in public places probably didn't make an immediate difference but 20 years later the difference is obvious. 

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I don't know. I think I posted earlier on this thread or another that it would probably take years to know if it changes habits. It won't make any difference to me I'll buy what I like rather than concern myself with the price and it won't change the habits of alcoholics. If they need it they'll get it.

Banning smoking in public places probably didn't make an immediate difference but 20 years later the difference is obvious. 

Good post.

14 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Yeh...I think you're right. Young people has an obviously different attitude towards alcohol already tbh.

AlimOzturk
12 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Dont think it stopped people Smoking though. They just did it in different designated places outside. Then changed the way they smoke via vaping instead. Probably more people smoking now than ever smoked previously 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Dont think it stopped people Smoking though. They just did it in different designated places outside. Then changed the way they smoke via vaping instead. Probably more people smoking now than ever smoked previously 

Probably your first sentence maybe right but your last sentence I very much doubt that is the case.

AlimOzturk
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Probably your first sentence maybe right but your last sentence I very much doubt that is the case.

Sorry just to clarify I mean both vaping/smoking cigarettes. 

Ulysses
2 hours ago, tightrope said:

Really an irrelevant point, why should I, a responsible drinker, pay more because of a tiny minority of abusers? I enjoy a drink at the weekend. Between utilities. Mortgage rates, insurances etc. Things are getting tight. I work full time, why should I be screwed for having a drink. Certainly can't afford to go out these days.

If you're asking why you should pay more then you're demonstrating that my point is relevant. If people weren't affected by minimum pricing, they wouldn't be asking why they should pay more.  I'm wondering who on JKB is affected by it, which is a fair and relevant question for the point being discussed. 

I'm asking for some of the reasons I set out to Doctor FinnBarr above.  We introduced minimum pricing here a couple of years ago, at higher rates than Scotland.  I've heard very little about it since, partly because our alcohol prices were higher than Scotland's to begin with.  Even though our minimum unit price is 70% higher than Scotland's, I'm not sure how many people it affected.

18 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

If 85 pence for a tab doesn't put folk off, nothing will...:huh:

AlimOzturk
4 minutes ago, OBE said:

If 85 pence for a tab doesn't put folk off, nothing will...:huh:

True. Which just proves that putting up alcohol price isn’t the deterrent that they think it will be. 

Ulysses
1 hour ago, pablo said:

People who drink alcohol priced at below the new minimum price, surely?  Is that everyone who drinks?  If I drink Tesco own brand vodka, I'm now paying more.  If I drink Smirnoff red label or Absolut,  or pints in the pub, I'm paying the same.

3 hours ago, tightrope said:

If you are a responsible/irresponsible drinker that prefers premium wines, beers and spirits, you won't be paying more.

Edited by OBE

i wish jj was my dad
38 minutes ago, pablo said:

Yeh...I think you're right. Young people has an obviously different attitude towards alcohol already tbh.

I agree.  There are obvious differences in the general population across the generations.

Certainly, ny daughter and her circle are a lot more sensible with the bevvy than I ever was at their age. 

The Real Maroonblood
24 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

👍

i wish jj was my dad
42 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think it was a significant part of a wider strategy to reduce smoking. It has become quite socially unacceptable and I'm certain it has made a big difference in changing habits. 

Japan Jambo
8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Thanks.  The cheapest vodka I can see on Tesco online is their own brand at £17 a litre. They don't sell that here, AFAIK.

A litre of Smirnoff red label is £19 "clubcard price" online in Tesco UK.  The same bottle bought from Tesco online here would cost €31, or about £26.70.  

It all depends on what you drink and where you get it, I suppose.  Ireland's minimum unit price is the equivalent of 85p.  That has a small effect on beers and wines generally, and no effect on pub prices, but it is more noticeable in the case of spirits bought in off licences.

Does the uplift in price go to the reseller or the taxman?

Ulysses
34 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

I don't know about Scotland, but in Ireland it goes to the seller.

BlueRiver

I keep hearing this about young people's attitudes to alcohol but I rarely see it played out in reality. 

Curious if there's any actual proper research into it beyond surveys where folk say "not me drinking guv". 

Ulysses
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

The rate of smoking in Ireland has fallen dramatically since 2004, but much of it has been replaced by vaping.  I couldn't tell you if more people smoke/vape now than 20 years ago, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

There's no law about vaping indoors in Ireland, but an awful lot of businesses and venues don't allow it.

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I think it was a significant part of a wider strategy to reduce smoking. It has become quite socially unacceptable and I'm certain it has made a big difference in changing habits. 

In 2003/4, the main argument used here in favour of the smoking ban - and the argument that won hearts and minds - was that workers had no choice but to be in their workplaces, and they should have the right not to be exposed to second-hand smoke. 

i wish jj was my dad
54 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The rate of smoking in Ireland has fallen dramatically since 2004, but much of it has been replaced by vaping.  I couldn't tell you if more people smoke/vape now than 20 years ago, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

There's no law about vaping indoors in Ireland, but an awful lot of businesses and venues don't allow it.

In 2003/4, the main argument used here in favour of the smoking ban - and the argument that won hearts and minds - was that workers had no choice but to be in their workplaces, and they should have the right not to be exposed to second-hand smoke. 

Smoking was banned in my workplace other than designated areas from 1990 so I never experienced it at work but I enjoyed my days / nights out on the peeve a lot more after it was banned in pubs. I know for certain it was a catalyst for a lot of my mates who were smokers giving up. 

hmfcbilly
On 18/04/2024 at 21:47, AlimOzturk said:

yeah I suppose this makes sense. Not doing alot to encourage people not to ditch the booze though. 

Honestly think the Scottish government are going about it in the wrong way if they truly want folk to ditch the drinking habits. Charging folk more does **** all to change peoples habits. 

I agree with all your post. Like others have said, alcoholics will find money for drink regardless....even if it trebles in price. Its an addiction, it'll take precedence over food and heating to an addict. I'd drink more non alcoholic beers if they tasted better tbh. I don't drink to get pissed but the non Al ones are all pretty naff although estrella lager is decent in my view. We have come a long way since becks blue 🤣🤣 I do think it's about education mainly, and I do think that many folk in their teens and 20s are more health conscious than drink obsessed. Maybe ex on the beach and love Island has its benefits after all 🤣🤣

il Duce McTarkin
21 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I will be, but not massively, and I can well afford it.

These are a guilty pleasure atm, and are reasonably strong so will be affected by this rise.

The wines and whiskies that I lean towards are already towards the mid to upper end.

Henry Westons Vintage Cider 6X500ml Bottle

Greedy Jambo

We should all stop buying alcohol

It's expensive and bad for your health.

maroongoals
12 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

it goes to the seller not taxman or government

Cranston
45 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

We should all stop buying alcohol

It's expensive and bad for your health.

👍

An outright ban, would be fairer, rather than attempt to put it out of the poorest's reach. 

9 hours ago, Cranston said:

👍

An outright ban, would be fairer, rather than attempt to put it out of the poorest's reach. 

Could ban it, yes, but it would still be reachable and at what quality? Criminals would wallow in it.

On 19/04/2024 at 08:52, maroongoals said:

The funds from the extra tax or deterent price if thats what we call it should be used to help the problem of Alcoholism, all it does is give the retailers extra income so pretty pointless in my opinion

This

i wish jj was my dad
9 hours ago, Cranston said:

👍

That worked really well in the US. Snp and Greens like banning fings though. 

My only issue with Minimum pricing is that the extra should be taxed and ring fenced for NHS alcohol treatment centres. 

37 minutes ago, XB52 said:

My only issue with Minimum pricing is that the extra should be taxed and ring fenced for NHS alcohol treatment centres. 

The sellers should donate the extra profit to the NHS, but they won't!

ArcticJambo
On 18/04/2024 at 22:40, 1971fozzy said:

It’ll be like the Handmaids tale before long. Just who the fek do they think they are ?  I swear they will bring in prohibition if they could. Horrendous party.

Personally we will be going to Berwick as I sometimes work there. 

Was in Morrisons on Thursday, and checked out the booze aisle as usual. They had tonnes of deals in the bottled beer section, 4 for 7 quid, which is what £1.75 a 500ml bottle. Don't think even Aldi have them that cheap anymore.  Saying that I didn't get the feeling those Morrison prices were their typical prices.

Shooter McGavin

I don’t think fannying about with prices changes the culture, or problems around drinking in this country, in my opinion.

ArcticJambo

Correct. Next time I get a carry out for a garden sesh I will still get the same amount, it'll just cost me more, and the store will make more profit. sigh!

On 19/04/2024 at 00:40, 1971fozzy said:

It’ll be like the Handmaids tale before long. Just who the fek do they think they are ?  I swear they will bring in prohibition if they could. Horrendous party.

Personally we will be going to Berwick as I sometimes work there. 

I know; imagine caring about people's health the *******s. Bet you said the same about the smoking ban in pubs. 

It has been shown to have saved hundreds of lives since the minimum pricing came into force but that means nothing if you hate the SNP

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

That worked really well in the US. Snp and Greens like banning fings though. 

Greens are about to ban themselves from government, hopefully. See, it’s not all bad. 

i wish jj was my dad
7 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Greens are about to ban themselves from government, hopefully. See, it’s not all bad. 

How will Duddsy cope? 

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I don’t think fannying about with prices changes the culture, or problems around drinking in this country, in my opinion.

Fair comment. 

1971fozzy
35 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I know; imagine caring about people's health the *******s. Bet you said the same about the smoking ban in pubs. 

It has been shown to have saved hundreds of lives since the minimum pricing came into force but that means nothing if you hate the SNP

Let’s see whereby they put the extra revenue then eh ?

and re’ the smoking ban in pubs that was brilliant. 
not related though are they. Last time I checked you can get cancer from second hand smoke. You can’t from someone beside you having a bottle of beer bought from Tesco 

Edited by 1971fozzy

18 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Let’s see whereby they put the extra revenue then eh ?

and re’ the smoking ban in pubs that was brilliant. 
not related though are they. Last time I checked you can get cancer from second hand smoke. You can’t from someone beside you having a bottle of beer bought from Tesco 

If the drunk smashes a bottle of beer over your head it might well impact your health.  Nobody is saying MP is the silver bullet against our countries alcohol problem but it is a start.

The final verdict on Scotland’s five year experiment in introducing a minimum unit price (MUP) for alcohol has concluded that the initiative is cutting overall consumption and helping to save lives.

Public Health Scotland (PHS) has analysed the results of 12 studies it commissioned, together with 40 research papers, and says that the policy has reduced deaths directly caused by alcohol by 13.4% and related hospital admissions by 4.1%.1 

1971fozzy
3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

If the drunk smashes a bottle of beer over your head it might well impact your health.  Nobody is saying MP is the silver bullet against our countries alcohol problem but it is a start.

it’s already in place. But to add to it is not right. and by the way, not everyone who enjoys a drink is a drunk.

Im not denying there is a problem but these increases will have impacts in other ways. 
The SNP really like a nanny state. We would probably still be in lockdown if they had their way 

1971fozzy
5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The final verdict on Scotland’s five year experiment in introducing a minimum unit price (MUP) for alcohol has concluded that the initiative is cutting overall consumption and helping to save lives.

Public Health Scotland (PHS) has analysed the results of 12 studies it commissioned, together with 40 research papers, and says that the policy has reduced deaths directly caused by alcohol by 13.4% and related hospital admissions by 4.1%.1 

that’s great if true. However my problem is that they are adding to it by increasing the MUP.  And believe me they will add to it again. And again. Be like Norway before you know it, only without the wages they get