Minimum Alcohol Price

skinnybob72

1 hour ago, tightrope said:

Who said it was? The legislation is.

You said the below so presumed the charlatans were the SNP.

These charlatans will make the figures say what they want. I'm done with the SNP

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tightrope

• OBE

• Ulysses

• i wish jj was my dad

The trouble with this sort of thing is it takes decades to figure out whether it's effective or not. Much as with the drugs deaths, we're looking at a cumulative effect of years of addiction, and a policy in 2018 isn't going to have achieved much yet.

Obviously the key is to address the causes of poverty and inequality, but that would require co-ordinated (and no doubt expensive) action from both Holyrood and Westminster, neither of which seem to have the stomach for such radical change.

• 2 weeks later...
Greedy Jambo

Wine & Spirits are going up now too.

My beers are supposed to come down, but they've actually just went up again, knobs.

All roads lead to Gorgie
42 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Wine & Spirits are going up now too.

My beers are supposed to come down, but they've actually just went up again, knobs.

Interesting beer 😉

Dorset Knob Real Ale Bottles - 6 x 500ml | dbcales

Day@theraces

Most corner shops I frequent in Edinburgh don't seem to subscribe to the 50p unit price. For example a good number of shops sell knights cider for example at the £1.60 - £1.75 range for a can that has 4.2 units. Technically it should be sold for £2.10 at a minimum. I remember the good old days where you could get 3 litres of frosty jacks for £3 at 22 units. Under 15 pence a unit 

Day@theraces
On 20/07/2023 at 15:16, tightrope said:

I was told by a friend who is in the know, that alcohol related deaths, and deaths caused by the effects of drinking alcohol are a bit off. For instance if I fell off a ladder after having a pint of shandy, I would be an alcohol related death and included in the figures. However cirrhosis figures would take ten years to evaluate any success. It's just a tax. Education and help would be the way forward but that would cost. 

No different to Covid related deatha then.

Greedy Jambo
1 hour ago, Day@theraces said:

Most corner shops I frequent in Edinburgh don't seem to subscribe to the 50p unit price. For example a good number of shops sell knights cider for example at the £1.60 - £1.75 range for a can that has 4.2 units. Technically it should be sold for £2.10 at a minimum. I remember the good old days where you could get 3 litres of frosty jacks for £3 at 22 units. Under 15 pence a unit 

Yeah, they live by their own rules, I have to deal with them on a daily basis through my work. 

p.s, I wouldn't drink that horrible stuff if it was free. 

• 6 months later...

Another 15p added to the minimum unit of alcohol...Berwick just got a lot closer...🍾

Anyone who thinks really expensive booze stops people drinking just needs to visit any  town in Scandinavia  at the weekend.

Nucky Thompson
19 minutes ago, OBE said:

Another 15p added to the minimum unit of alcohol...Berwick just got a lot closer...🍾

Another joke.

It's already out there that it has very minimal effect 

2 minutes ago, The Jazz Emu said:

I’m dreading this price hike affecting my Babycham.

Move onto Advocaat & lemonade.

The Jazz Emu
3 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Move onto Advocaat & lemonade.

Ooh!

I simply love a Snowball.

The people that need the drink will just buy drink instead of food then shoplift their food 

25 minutes ago, The Jazz Emu said:

I’m dreading this price hike affecting my Babycham.

Listerine moothwash taste's better than Babycham...

JudyJudyJudy

They really want to sook the life out of Scotland . Mismanaged budgets and we pay the price . Ofcourse they will pretend it’s an initiative to tackle alcoholism when the research has indicated it has had no significant impact . 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

They really want to sook the life out of Scotland . Mismanaged budgets and we pay the price . Ofcourse they will pretend it’s an initiative to tackle alcoholism when the research has indicated it has had no significant impact . 

This plus paying higher tax ect has probably just rubber stamped a labour win when it comes round 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, theshed said:

This plus paying higher tax ect has probably just rubber stamped a labour win when it comes round 

Hopefully . 

Gundermann
17 minutes ago, theshed said:

That’s the SNP for you 

Not really. Labour abstained in Scotland but implemented it in Wales. Make of that what you will.

The Alcohol (Minimum Pricing) (Scotland) Act was passed by the Scottish Parliament
in May 2012 and received Royal Assent the following month. The law was passed
with support from the Scottish National Party; the Conservatives; the Liberal
Democrats and the Green Party. The Labour Party abstained in the vote.

https://www.alcohol-focus-scotland.org.uk/media/59947/Minimum-pricing-judgement-briefing.pdf

Edited by Gundermann

10 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The government don’t get the extra money raised, the retailers do.

5 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Michelle Mone got a Bodega?...:smartass:

Edited by OBE

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Oh ok that’s ok then 

3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh ok that’s ok then 

I don’t know if it’s ok or not (I don’t think it works) but it’s not being done to raise money for the government.

If it were to work it would save the government - and so us - money.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Another joke.

It's already out there that it has very minimal effect 

Overall, the report claimed MUP "had a positive impact on health outcomes, including addressing alcohol-related health inequalities".

Based on comparisons with England, the analysis estimated there were 13.4% fewer deaths related to alcohol in Scotland than would have happened without the policy.

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Overall, the report claimed MUP "had a positive impact on health outcomes, including addressing alcohol-related health inequalities".

Based on comparisons with England, the analysis estimated there were 13.4% fewer deaths related to alcohol in Scotland than would have happened without the policy.

Don't believe all you read and only believe half of what you see.

Gundermann
49 minutes ago, FWJ said:

That's the bit that I object to. Extra money should go to the NHS.

Otherwise, when it comes to pricing, the big corporations like Diageo and Moet Hennessy are making big profits. Likewise, most of the cost of our drink goes to the black hole that is the UK gov.

TM-comp-Pg11-Graphic-1.jpg 1561129369.png

Gundermann
55 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

They are still leading the charge . They are the majority 

Interesting you credit them with that.

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

IMG_1192.webp

To be fair absolutely no-one should be drinking a £6 bottle of red wine.

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, FWJ said:

eeh? tell me that's not true? Absolutely bonkers...

Japan Jambo
13 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

That's the bit that I object to. Extra money should go to the NHS.

Otherwise, when it comes to pricing, the big corporations like Diageo and Moet Hennessy are making big profits. Likewise, most of the cost of our drink goes to the black hole that is the UK gov.

TM-comp-Pg11-Graphic-1.jpg 1561129369.png

That 31.64 per litre makes no sense and contradicts the 11.50 indicated on the slide on the right...  

Radio Ga Ga
16 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

That 31.64 per litre makes no sense and contradicts the 11.50 indicated on the slide on the right...  

Correct, they were selling litre bottles at Christmas for around £22 (blends)

44 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

its misleading, the 31.64 is for oure alcohol per litre. i.e. for every litre of alcohol the duty is £31.64. 

e.g. a 1 litre bottle of 40% whisky would have 31.64*0.4= £12.66 in duty applied to it. 

Japan Jambo
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

its misleading, the 31.64 is for oure alcohol per litre. i.e. for every litre of alcohol the duty is £31.64. 

e.g. a 1 litre bottle of 40% whisky would have 31.64*0.4= £12.66 in duty applied to it. 

Ah thanks, that makes more sense. Quite a lot already really but if the idea is to push the price up for health benefits then presumably the SNP ought to be lobbying the government to increase this so that society benefits through tax take and not big business?

tightrope
3 hours ago, theshed said:

Well as an ex member, its labour for me now. Another tax on the working man. Disgrace.

Gundermann
21 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Well as an ex member, its labour for me now. Another tax on the working man. Disgrace.

Labour are doing this in Wales ffs. And, have they promised to lower duty when in power?

I don't object to MUP as such but think it should be ringfenced for health.

132goals1958
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Typical of that shower. Those that have a problem will probably save on their food to absorb the increase on the hooch. 

il Duce McTarkin

I'm going to stop feeding the kids for Henry Westons vintage cider.

Australis

Still determined to being Scotland to its knees, before they are kicked out.

Do as much damage as they can, so no political party can fix it.

Or it takes them decades.

Jambo_Gaz

Push it through and don't stop and listen to any feedback that doesn't fit their narrative. 

Thats the SNP for you. 

how long before they push for a complete alcohol ban? I'm not even joking. I'm sure they would love to try with their nanny state minds. 

tightrope
1 hour ago, Gundermann said:

Labour are doing this in Wales ffs. And, have they promised to lower duty when in power?

I don't object to MUP as such but think it should be ringfenced for health.

It's nothing more than a tax on the working man. Why should I pay for the problems of a very small minority. Look at the numbers involved. It's a vanity project. My Labour list MSP has stated that they are against it. Sarah Boyack. Look at the numbers ffs. BTW if someone falls and dies coming out of the pub, it's counted as an alcohol related death. 

4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Well done SNP. ❤️

skinnybob72
1 hour ago, tightrope said:

It's nothing more than a tax on the working man. Why should I pay for the problems of a very small minority. Look at the numbers involved. It's a vanity project. My Labour list MSP has stated that they are against it. Sarah Boyack. Look at the numbers ffs. BTW if someone falls and dies coming out of the pub, it's counted as an alcohol related death. 

If you fall and die coming out of an airport does that count as an air travel death? 

doddsyJR9

Who does it hit the most in society, - a) those who struggle to get by? or b) those who don't care about a few quid more on their weekly shop?

And, a) avoid the question above if you are snp/green, or b) answer the question if you care about the poorest in society who struggle to get by. 

Is it temperance for the poorest that the snp/greens want. Or are they all Michael Matheson;s who only think the taxpayer exists for those who are above the law? Answers on a postcard.