Hearts Women - cup semi-final v Spartans at Hampden on Sunday

3fingersreid

Nookie Bear

Re the fitness issue: any amateur athlete in any sport looks after themselves so there is no excuse, however I suspect there is a small pool of talent to choose from so compromises have to be made with balancing talent/fitness. 

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• 3fingersreid

• sadj

• Kalamazoo Jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3fingersreid

Through at K park currently celtic 0-0 Hearts . 
End to end , one great save from the Hearts keeper and we could’ve scored with a scramble after a corner ( or a stramash depending on your age) 

much better than last weeks first 45mins 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Edited by 3fingersreid

27 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

FT 3-0

Doesn't sound too bad.  This entire season has been a non event.  Let's hope for better next season.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just seen that Kenny Shiels is manager of N.Ireland women.

They have a play off for Euro finals. 

Yep, they won first leg of play off 2-1 away from home. We of course, screwed up our campaign with 3 losses that were avoidable and horrific to watch. Euros in England and we won't be there. 

Forever Hearts
On 11/04/2021 at 16:18, Kiwidoug said:

Doesn't sound too bad.  This entire season has been a non event.  Let's hope for better next season.

A 3-0 defeat doesn't sound too bad? I know Hearts don't have Celtic's finances but we need to have a better attitude than that. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Is there any plans for the Hearts ladies team to go professional and take it to a higher level to compete with the Glasgow team's? 

Otherwise we will just lose our best players 

2 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Is there any plans for the Hearts ladies team to go professional and take it to a higher level to compete with the Glasgow team's? 

Otherwise we will just lose our best players 

This will be good

people losing there shit because we give the women’s team a poxy 100k and you are suggesting we add to the clubs wage bill

and I’m talking as a parent of one of the team 😊

7 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

This will be good

people losing there shit because we give the women’s team a poxy 100k and you are suggesting we add to the clubs wage bill

and I’m talking as a parent of one of the team 😊

Excuse my ignorance but do any of the team get paid anything at all, signing on fee, wages etc or ar they all Amateur ? 

If the players are all amatuer as I've seen suggested on here, what has the 100k been spent on ?

Edited by Paul Shark

Howdy Doody Jambo
10 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

Excuse my ignorance but do any of the team get paid anything at all, signing on fee, wages etc or ar they all Amateur ? 

If the players are all amatuer as I've seen suggested on here, what has the 100k been spent on ?

I presume that Andy Kirk, Arron Hughes and other staff for the ladies team are on the wage bill with added running costs, travel etc wouldn't be much change over the year 

11 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

None get paid to the best of my knowledge 

that money will be easily eaten up by paying for strips, training kit, pitches and training facilities for the numerous girls teams, academy and first team

Just now, The Maroon Pound said:

I presume that Andy Kirk, Arron Hughes and other staff for the ladies team are on the wage bill with added running costs, travel etc wouldn't be much change over the year 

Andy Kirk was still under contract from last season, the other coaches will be doing it on a voluntary basis, probably receive expenses 

7 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

This is what I thought. Coaching staff wages, expenses etc would be included in the £100k. As Andy Kirk was under contract anyway. It's not really a £100k investment in Hearts Women. 

Edited by Paul Shark

Nookie Bear

Not sure how professionalism would work. 

I know a couple of the team are at school, I assume others may be in further education, so they may not be able to sign professionally?

You would have to make it worth the while of the others so £20k+ year minimum? Even then they would be off to Glasgow like a shot so the better players would need more. 

Basically I am not sure we can afford it until such time as the ladies can attract a decent number of paying customers. 

Forever Hearts

I wonder if the £100k could've got us a mens first team player and paid his wages for a year. Who knows, he might've been the player that prevented us going out the cup to Brora Rangers.  

3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I wonder if the £100k could've got us a mens first team player and paid his wages for a year. Who knows, he might've been the player that prevented us going out the cup to Brora Rangers.  

True

Girls should probably be forced to take cooking and cleaning classes and banned from sport too. 

Ban them from attending games too. That would have stopped Ann Budge then no £100k.

Edited by Mikey1874

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

True

Girls should probably be forced to take cooking and cleaning classes and banned from sport too. 

Ban them from attending games too. That would have stopped Ann Budge then no £100k.

Fair points.👍😂

3fingersreid

1-1 with Forfar today 

their goal will not do anything to improve the opinion of women’s keepers , which is a shame as ours is usually better than she showed today . That said it was a free kick taken by their keeper !!!!!!!! 

4 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

1-1 with Forfar today 

their goal will not do anything to improve the opinion of women’s keepers , which is a shame as ours is usually better than she showed today . That said it was a free kick taken by their keeper !!!!!!!! 

Why is their keeper even taking a free kick from there anyway?!

Pereira-esque attempt from our keeper :(

3fingersreid
Just now, kila said:

Why is their keeper even taking a free kick from there anyway?!

Pereira-esque attempt from our keeper :(

My theory was she usually played outfield but was filling in as a keeper . She had a brilliant stop a few mins before her goal . 

On a plus we moved off the bottom of the table today , playing motherwell on Wednesday night . 

22 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Can’t believe we waste money on this 😭.

Isn't it benefactors money?

Malinga the Swinga
10 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Can’t believe we waste money on this 😭.

FFS, we didn't 'waste money'. Benefactor donated money specifically for women's team. In any case, it wasn't wasted, it was doing what every club should be doing and that is expanding. 

Adam Cameron

I dont grudge the Womens team a penny and fully respect the effort and commitment they put in.  What i do have an issue with is the amount over coverage and exposure they get on the social media feeds, the marketing, the club shop etc etc.  When we launch the new home kit there will be two first team players and two womens team.  Might be considered "dark age" thinking but the club need to treat the women fairly not equally!

6 minutes ago, Adam Cameron said:

I dont grudge the Womens team a penny and fully respect the effort and commitment they put in.  What i do have an issue with is the amount over coverage and exposure they get on the social media feeds, the marketing, the club shop etc etc.  When we launch the new home kit there will be two first team players and two womens team.  Might be considered "dark age" thinking but the club need to treat the women fairly not equally!

Wait till you see how Ayr United market their new strip launches.

Stendelnator
12 minutes ago, Adam Cameron said:

Should young girls and women not get the chance to wear the new kit? What’s wrong with showing females wearing the kits in marketing to show how it looks on a different body type? Weird thing to take issue with 

21 minutes ago, Adam Cameron said:

Not treat equally ...... 😂

26 minutes ago, Adam Cameron said:

No need to put dark age in commas, that’s exactly what it is !

Adam Cameron

Apologies, that was very clumsy on my part, i was trying to make the point that perhaps the womans team, and not the individuals, arent the focus of the supporters of the club and the split in terms of exposure / information shouldnt be 50/50.  Will definitely choose my words more carefully. 

4 minutes ago, Adam Cameron said:

Apologies, that was very clumsy on my part, i was trying to make the point that perhaps the womans team, and not the individuals, arent the focus of the supporters of the club and the split in terms of exposure / information shouldnt be 50/50.  Will definitely choose my words more carefully. 

Fair enough but it isn’t anyway !

Go into the club shop online and the men’s range is far bigger than women’s or kids. Exposure and information are similarly focused.

14 minutes ago, Adam Cameron said:

Is the exposure 50:50?

The men's team exposure us down a lot because quite frankly the fans have demanded that we are far more low key taking into account results and performances.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I like to think of myself as a positive person, I'm going to take the Fifth on this video :(

Adam Cameron
9 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Is the exposure 50:50?

The men's team exposure us down a lot because quite frankly the fans have demanded that we are far more low key taking into account results and performances.

No youre quite right, foot in the mouth, or fingers in this case.  It was a particularly poor attempt on my part to put over my opinion that although certainly not 50:50, and as you rightly point out the ratio is skewed slightly recently due to results, the womens team do get good bit.  The train of thought regarding the club shop wasnt to do with availability of the womens lines which of course should be 50/50 is was to do with when the strip is released it used to be the star player in the marketing pictures.  Again, apologies for the clumsiness of the previous post.  I do of course believe that women should be treated both equally and fairly.

14 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

My theory was she usually played outfield but was filling in as a keeper . She had a brilliant stop a few mins before her goal . 

On a plus we moved off the bottom of the table today , playing motherwell on Wednesday night . 

My theory is that the Hearts goalie had a bet on 1-1 as she helped the ball into the net.

Horrific goalkeeping. 

That said, I can't help but feel it's not very fair on women having to play on pitches and goals the same dimensions as the men's team. When you look at Men's Goalkeepers, they usually are 6ft 3+, and the best ones in the World are usually pretty bulky in frame but agile.   How are you expecting a woman who could be a good half a foot shorter to be able to do the exact same as their male counterpart in the same goal?  The average height of a woman in the UK is only 5ft 3... I know that footballers tend to be taller than average, but the reality is that's the number you're dealing with for a decent amount of the general population.  Especially as we're trying to encourage more women to play football, you can't be picky and start saying "only 6ft tall women can be goalkeepers" because you'll quickly run out of options.

The amount of shots that Women's Goalkeepers concede that go right over their heads and in under the bar, or anything in the far corner suggests to me that they struggle with the size of them.  I'd like to see them adopt using the 21ft x 7ft goals that already are standard sizes instead of the 24ft x 8ft, even just for a trial season, to see if it improves the standards of goalkeeping. 

It's definitely not just a "woman" thing and that they're all just crap, I just don't think it's fair for someone who can't even touch the crossbar without jumping as high as they can to have to play in those conditions.  I've played handball with some absolutely incredible female goalkeepers who put the men to shame, and that's a much more demanding position than football. 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Horrific goalkeeping. 

That said, I can't help but feel it's not very fair on women having to play on pitches and goals the same dimensions as the men's team. When you look at Men's Goalkeepers, they usually are 6ft 3+, and the best ones in the World are usually pretty bulky in frame but agile.   How are you expecting a woman who could be a good half a foot shorter to be able to do the exact same as their male counterpart in the same goal?  The average height of a woman in the UK is only 5ft 3... I know that footballers tend to be taller than average, but the reality is that's the number you're dealing with for a decent amount of the general population.  Especially as we're trying to encourage more women to play football, you can't be picky and start saying "only 6ft tall women can be goalkeepers" because you'll quickly run out of options.

The amount of shots that Women's Goalkeepers concede that go right over their heads and in under the bar, or anything in the far corner suggests to me that they struggle with the size of them.  I'd like to see them adopt using the 21ft x 7ft goals that already are standard sizes instead of the 24ft x 8ft, even just for a trial season, to see if it improves the standards of goalkeeping. 

It's definitely not just a "woman" thing and that they're all just crap, I just don't think it's fair for someone who can't even touch the crossbar without jumping as high as they can to have to play in those conditions.  I've played handball with some absolutely incredible female goalkeepers who put the men to shame, and that's a much more demanding position than football. 

100%

The size of the goals needs reduced, by keeping them the size they are it reduces the overall quality and perception of the game. 

It's like watching a kids game. 

Simple fix as well. 

John Findlay

Funny I was watching the big match revisited from December 15th 1979. Crystal Palace v Notts Forest. Palace won 1-0. Peter Shilton(arguably the best goalkeeper in the world at the time), let the ball slip through his hands and his legs into the net.

22 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

100%

The size of the goals needs reduced, by keeping them the size they are it reduces the overall quality and perception of the game. 

Simple fix as well. 

You could say that about amateur football in general. The top women teams don't seem to have that problem though.

What is needed is young girls seeing football as a career and there being a growing pool of capable players instead of shite ones who are there to just make up the numbers. It's a long road ahead but it's nonsense to suggest the pitch size and goals are a problem when it is the quality of athlete at this particular moment of time for teams who are part time etc.

37 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

100%

Simple fix as well. 

You'd need 5 a side goals for her to have tipped that over the bar.

We're all kidding on thinking women's football deserves to be on the same platform as the men's, you can repeat it as many times as you want and package it as many different ways as you want - but it's shite, END OF.

The simple fix would be to remove the goals and just let them pass it about.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, kila said:

You could say that about amateur football in general. The top women teams don't seem to have that problem though.

What is needed is young girls seeing football as a career and there being a growing pool of capable players instead of shite ones who are there to just make up the numbers. It's a long road ahead but it's nonsense to suggest the pitch size and goals are a problem when it is the quality of athlete at this particular moment of time for teams who are part time etc.

I don't think it's nonsense at all Tbh. 

I agree with your post but in regards to goal keeping - 

In golf the t offs are shorter, in tennis it is less sets. 

In athletics, women are generally behind all the times/ standards v men. 

Men in general are bigger, stronger and faster. 

A football goal was designed with men in mind, not women. 

I've watched a bit of the international women's football and I've enjoyed it, however the goal keeping often lets it down as a spectacle and opens it up for ridicule. 

A simple fix of reducing the pitch ( assuming it would be adjusted in line with any goal size reducrion) and goal size would actual improve the game imo as players would need to be faster and think quicker and in regards to the goals, there would  be less shitty goals so the strikers would need to be more accurate. 

I'm all for women's football, but the goal keeping does let it down and gives it a joke perception. 

Anyone I speak about women's football with mentions this, even if they are positive about the game. 

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Funny I was watching the big match revisited from December 15th 1979. Crystal Palace v Notts Forest. Palace won 1-0. Peter Shilton(arguably the best goalkeeper in the world at the time), let the ball slip through his hands and his legs into the net.

In a 25 year career he probably had as many howlers as your average female goalkeeper will have in 25 games. 

John Findlay
42 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

In a 25 year career he probably had as many howlers as your average female goalkeeper will have in 25 games. 

You think? Also check out Scotland v England at Hampden Park 1974, not 1976, 1974.

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You think? Also check out Scotland v England at Hampden Park 1974, not 1976, 1974.

I'm not denying he had howlers, I seen them with my own eyes. But to compare him with female goalkeepers is laughable.  

John Findlay
Just now, Forever Hearts said:

I'm not denying he had howlers, I seen them with my own eyes. But to compare him with female goalkeepers is laughable.  

You are missing the point completely. All goalkeepers regardless of their gender make mistakes. 

All this talk about reducing the goal size for women teams is nonsense, complete and utter nonsense. There are 6ft tall female goalkeepers out there, and dare I say it, some of them are excellent keepers.

24 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You are missing the point completely. All goalkeepers regardless of their gender make mistakes. 

All this talk about reducing the goal size for women teams is nonsense, complete and utter nonsense. There are 6ft tall female goalkeepers out there, and dare I say it, some of them are excellent keepers.

Paul Cooper 5 foot 9

Andy Goram, not quite 5 foot 11

Jorge Campos, 5 foot 7

Peter Bonetti, 5 foot 10

Rene Higuita, 5 foot 9

Steve Death (?) 5 foot 7.

As the womens game gets more and more professional and a job, career, their fitness and athletism will improve.

Edited by DETTY29

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Hearts Women - cup semi-final v Spartans at Hampden on Sunday