ViaPlay in a bit of financial trouble?

tian447

Just now, davemclaren said:

A lot of people believe everything should be free. 

Not material things though. Can't just say I think pints of beer should be free or going shopping should be free.

Sport gets its money from tickets and advertising plus the TV companies.   

People might say thats enough so the coverage should be free ( included in TV licence)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• kevin_hmfc

• Daveandal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 15/07/2023 at 20:13, Fort Vallance said:

Took out the £59 sub for a year a while ago. Probably had my moneys worth already. If it folds I won't lose any sleep. The worry is that since the governing bodies here can't be trusted to either compensate or source a replacement deal a lot of smaller clubs could be hit badly.  Don't  get the hate for the broadcasters. If you don't like it don't *** take it.

If you paid by credit card you will get your money back.

davemclaren
9 hours ago, kevin_hmfc said:

Not material things though. Can't just say I think pints of beer should be free or going shopping should be free.

Sport gets its money from tickets and advertising plus the TV companies.   

People might say thats enough so the coverage should be free ( included in TV licence)

Interesting way of thinking.  However, I think the clubs see their home matches as product to be sold to broadcasters to maximise their income. 

Fort Vallance
11 hours ago, McCrae said:

If you paid by credit card you will get your money back.

I didn't mean to compensate individual users. I meant the clubs who had budgeted for that income.

9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Good riddance vialplay.

Now BT or TNT will hopefully be next. 

They have just announced being super woke so could be another bud light on the way 😆

TNT Sports

Does it stand for 'Tits Not Testicles'? While I'm all for more balanced genders of presenters, to go with 4 woman doesn't strike me as balanced instead swinging the pendulum entirely the other way.

August Landmesser
13 hours ago, davemclaren said:

A lot of people believe everything should be free. 

a lot of people are correct

Tells you all you need to know about those at the SPFL who are involved with this sort of commercial activity.  A deal with a third rate lot just waiting for disaster to strike.  I wonder where the over paid, under brained Doncaster will look to next.

Clark Griswold
47 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Tells you all you need to know about those at the SPFL who are involved with this sort of commercial activity.  A deal with a third rate lot just waiting for disaster to strike.  I wonder where the over paid, under brained Doncaster will look to next.

gonna go out on a limb and guess Sky Sports

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Clark Griswold said:

gonna go out on a limb and guess Sky Sports

Depends if anyone else buys the rights from Viaplay. 

3 hours ago, Deevers said:

Right now I'm more interested in what kind of bonus he got for this latest disaster?  ☹️

I was one of the mugs that paid £59 for their annual subscription last month. It was advertised as a 66% discount on their standard fee (£15 per month) and seemed too good to be true. Looks like it was. 

However, it leaves a sour taste in the month. Surely they realised 30 days ago they were in trouble? And I’d assume that selling a service for cash in advance when you know there’s a good chance you will be unable to provide said service is illegal?

At the end of the day, I’d have spent a lot more than £59 if I’d gone to the pub to watch both Scotland games so I’m probably quids in.  

davemclaren
44 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

I was one of the mugs that paid £59 for their annual subscription last month. It was advertised as a 66% discount on their standard fee (£15 per month) and seemed too good to be true. Looks like it was. 

However, it leaves a sour taste in the month. Surely they realised 30 days ago they were in trouble? And I’d assume that selling a service for cash in advance when you know there’s a good chance you will be unable to provide said service is illegal?

At the end of the day, I’d have spent a lot more than £59 if I’d gone to the pub to watch both Scotland games so I’m probably quids in.  

It's not illegal. 

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It's not illegal. 

That’s disappointing. I assumed that trading while knowingly insolvent would be a crime.

davemclaren
Just now, Anderson5 said:

That’s disappointing. I assumed that trading while knowingly insolvent would be a crime.

Yes, but they are not insolvent. 

1 hour ago, Anderson5 said:

It's a 'crime' if it is done with intent to defraud/intending not to fulfil the agreement.

Not if it is normal part of the business. 

Most/lots of businesses are 'technically' insolvent, but trade quite legally and make good profits.

Thunder and Lightning

I'm still astounded people still pay sky and other companies like viaplay. Iptv gets you it all. A year for less that a monthly sky subscription. 

davemclaren
8 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

I'm still astounded people still pay sky and other companies like viaplay. Iptv gets you it all. A year for less that a monthly sky subscription. 

Count your lucky stars. If no-one actually paid the rights owners for content there wouldn't be any rights to steal to produce dodgy streams. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Count your lucky stars. If no-one actually paid the rights owners for content there wouldn't be any rights to steal to produce dodgy streams. 

Surely that would just mean clubs would go back to being reliant on gate receipts and more traditional ways of making money. No bad thing imo.

davemclaren
Just now, GinRummy said:

Surely that would just mean clubs would go back to being reliant on gate receipts and more traditional ways of making money. No bad thing imo.

Aye, but what about the poor guys that have paid for iptv for a year? 😎

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Aye, but what about the poor guys that have paid for iptv for a year? 😎

We'll survive Dave 😁

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Their Nordic based non sports content was always going to be very niche outside their core markets. 

Their Nordic based non sports content was always going to be very niche outside their core markets. 

Much like Scottish Football . A Scottish broadcaster should realise that they could make a wee wedge from buying these rights and making Scottish content their chief consideration , and just supplementing it other stuff . Know your market and audience and concentrate on what you know works for who . Most importantly do not try and over reach your core market

Since they've already paid for the rights, does this mean they will continue to broadcast this season, or not bother at all? 

Will they still have the UEFA qualifier games? 

Feel like they're deliberately not saying much so people don't cancel their subscriptions. 

Great... so the Scottish League Cup should continue on a channel that will likely have zero other sports/anything of interest. 

His name is
8 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Since they've already paid for the rights, does this mean they will continue to broadcast this season, or not bother at all? 

Will they still have the UEFA qualifier games? 

Feel like they're deliberately not saying much so people don't cancel their subscriptions. 

I read that they could lease their rights to another company 

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Boozyuzi said:

Great... so the Scottish League Cup should continue on a channel that will likely have zero other sports/anything of interest. 

How do you know that? Some would argue that you've just described ViaPlay? 😄

2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Pleasing.  I was in a pub that had to turn off the annoying female commentary that was on one of their matches recently . It was so bad that the bar staff just pressed the mute button to remove the nails on blackboard sound.   

Vialplay ain't a good product and the less TV companies we have the better.  ( Only need 2 max imo) 

On 18/07/2023 at 12:40, kila said:

TNT Sports

Does it stand for 'Tits Not Testicles'? While I'm all for more balanced genders of presenters, to go with 4 woman doesn't strike me as balanced instead swinging the pendulum entirely the other way.

Could be another Bud Light.   BT was already pretty bad for too many female commentators so this will be make them unwatchable imo. 

gorgieheart

pretty poor all round, folks finding themselves with no job... shame its none of the Dungcaster brigade getting emptied,  that slimeball needs to go and take his pals with him !

11 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

pretty poor all round, folks finding themselves with no job... shame its none of the Dungcaster brigade getting emptied,  that slimeball needs to go and take his pals with him !

Doubt he has any pals in Norway 

The Treasurer

Now that Viaplay have pulled the plug I expect Dungcatcher will hand back the bonus he paid himself for negotiating such a great deal 

Quite like Viaplay tbh. Obviously the OF bias is annoying but quite good coverage of other leagues and sports. 🙁

Interesting to see what happens given they are meant to be showing a live game this weekend.

Moving forward hopefully the Scottish games go on to terrestrial TV.

23 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Quite like Viaplay tbh. Obviously the OF bias is annoying but quite good coverage of other leagues and sports. 🙁

I agree. The coverage of Spanish football is superb, as is it's presentation of club rugby. I find it strange that some people on here are pleased by today's announcement; after all people will lose there jobs and it is possible that those who have subscribed may lose out, but is suppose there will always be the odd (in all senses of the word) person who will get a kick out of the misfortune of others.  

davemclaren
1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Now that Viaplay have pulled the plug I expect Dungcatcher will hand back the bonus he paid himself for negotiating such a great deal 

Think they are still broadcasting as far as I can tell. 

The Treasurer

Think they are still broadcasting as far as I can tell. 

I just checked, they are still on air. 

Hungarian athletics or a rerun of Bulgaria v Lithuania if you are interested 🙄

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I just checked, they are still on air. 

Hungarian athletics or a rerun of Bulgaria v Lithuania if you are interested 🙄

And therein lies their problem.