• Dawnrazor

• Tazio

• Homme

• Malinga the Swinga

All roads lead to Gorgie
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

More crowd Zimmerframeing.

🤣 I think he is off for new tena mans😄

Encore predictions. Your Song & Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. 

Edit: I have missed most of the set though. 😂

Edited by gjcc

7 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

He's a Hibee actually.  Have him on Instagram and he confirmed it about a week ago when he met the Man City squad

I see that now from other links posted up now. Bloody wiki.

Dagger Is Back
6 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

Class show. Saw him last week at the Hydro for the 13th time and he never fails to put on a great performance 

Yip saw him last Sunday and really chuffed that we went.

An absolute masterclass - there’s of hang of these real legends left. 

SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Davey the Jambo according to some wit on Wiki

Seemingly it's a mischievous wiki edit and he's actually a Hobbit.  But I wouldn't let that colour my judgement of him as a musician. The man is quite brilliant.

Elton played the County Ground in Swindon in 2005 on the same tour they played ER (probably at DJ's request). I remember seeing all the kit for it. 10 minutes from my office. What was I thinking of in not going 😡 ?

6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Anyone got a link for Editors?

Had a look for you but don't think they are available yet.

6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Anyone got a link for Editors?

Doesn't seem to be available on iplayer. There doesn't seem to be as many full sets as previous years. 

2 minutes ago, Homme said:

Had a look for you but don't think they are available yet.

,👍 I can't see anything either, hopefully it'll be available tomorrow 🤞

2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Doesn't seem to be available on iplayer. There doesn't seem to be as many full sets as previous years. 

I check tomorrow, hopefully on then.

Brilliant show from Queens.

They played a set largely of fan favourites rather than go heavy on the new album.  The right thing to do for a festival crowd.

,👍 I can't see anything either, hopefully it'll be available tomorrow 🤞

Yeah should be. 

I'd quite like to watch that back too if it comes on.

Just now, frankblack said:

They played a set largely of fan favourites rather than go heavy on the new album.  The right thing to do for a festival crowd.

Just counted the two new ones and they are quite easily accessible so they went down well still.

5 minutes ago, Homme said:

Just counted the two new ones and they are quite easily accessible so they went down well still.

Yes.  I've seen bands lose the crowd by loading their set with several new tracks.

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Exactly.

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I’m not long in from work so missed a fair bit of Reg but delighted to see old Ray Cooper is still as eccentric as ever on percussion. And of course amazing at his job. 

I saw him and Elton in concert in Glasgow, must have been circa 1979/80 or maybe just a wee bit later.  They were on tour together as a two piece and Ray was brilliant, mad as a hatter.

Edit just checked and it was 1979.  I still have the ticket stub.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Has David Grohl been on with them yet?!

Unbelievably he didn't show!

I thought that was the most obvious guest appearance of the weekend!

How come Jo Wiley hasn't aged? Is there a portrait of her in a celler somewhere? Looking great so she is.

Dagger Is Back
36 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Seemingly it's a mischievous wiki edit and he's actually a Hobbit.  But I wouldn't let that colour my judgement of him as a musician. The man is quite brilliant.

Elton played the County Ground in Swindon in 2005 on the same tour they played ER (probably at DJ's request). I remember seeing all the kit for it. 10 minutes from my office. What was I thinking of in not going 😡 ?

Indeed a master. You would have blagged a ticket for something like 50p as well!

SwindonJambo
11 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Indeed a master. You would have blagged a ticket for something like 50p as well!

🤣 I’ve never  pulled off a deal quite like that. My best was probably  Stones in Chicago 4 years ago for a chicken burger and a bottle of coke.  Last minute brinkmanship is the most effective method. You have to be able to attend at short notice. 

I do hope Elton changes his mind. He’s such a showman and hopefully won’t be able to resist it if a promoter comes up with the right deal. 

41 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

🤣 I’ve never  pulled off a deal quite like that. My best was probably  Stones in Chicago 4 years ago for a chicken burger and a bottle of coke.  Last minute brinkmanship is the most effective method. You have to be able to attend at short notice. 

I do hope Elton changes his mind. He’s such a showman and hopefully won’t be able to resist it if a promoter comes up with the right deal. 

I reckon he thinks its best to go out at the top rather than embarrass himself like the likes of Motley Crue.  Sone of the reports of their "live" performances are eye-opening.

SwindonJambo
17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I reckon he thinks its best to go out at the top rather than embarrass himself like the likes of Motley Crue.  Sone of the reports of their "live" performances are eye-opening.

There is that. It's not as if he needs the money. Though he performed extremely well he seemed a bit stiff and immobile when he had to get up and walk anywhere. 

I didn't watch Guns & Roses' set but I've heard Axel's voice has been shot for a long time. John Bongiovi likewise.

Paul McCartney who was in the celebs'section of the crowd tonight has not played a single show since he headlined Glastonbury a year ago so my guess is he's chucked it. His voice has been fading for a while.

scottishguy
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Sensational, Elton, sensational.

We will never see the likes again.

Can't see that ever getting topped

That was just superb. 

A proper legend of music, 7 decades of songs, just amazing!!!

1 hour ago, scottishguy said:

That was just superb. 

I'll watch it later. Quite enjoy iPlayer when Glastonbury is on. 

Some weird bands tho😆

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, scottishguy said:

That was just superb. 

9.5/10 for auld Reg. 

Missed a trick by not playing Step Into Christmas. 😄

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

As good as I've seen them, excellent set.

Obviously JH is the centre of attention but thought Mikey Shoes was fantastic !

Tom Hardy’s Dug
12 hours ago, Deviskan said:

Lizzo singing Coldplay…just after a rainbow flew across the screen and she sang everybody’s gay…then played the flute.

That there, sums up this years Glastonbury.

Ok so I’ve got two young daughters but I went to a Lizzo show the other month and she’s a proper performer. Big 70s funk type influences. I expected to be underwhelmed but wasn’t.

11 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I class Elton with Meatloaf, Alice Cooper and Springsteen. Not in styles but in they don't do concerts, they do shows. 

Born entertainers who have tuned their acts over decades and, as with Meatloaf, will entertain till their dying day.

Got the Boss at Hyde Park in a couple of weeks. Last time he’d be on for 3 1/2 hours and just as he was jamming with Macca to close the show they turned the sound off dead on 10:30. Half way through a song. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Thants one thing with him - done expect him ever to start after 8pm.

Also the Cuban Bros on a side stage. I know he’s a hibby but funny as ****.

8 hours ago, scottishguy said:

That was just superb. 

I think it shows the state of the global music industry, or perhaps this events lack of sponsorship, when all 3 headline acts are from an era long gone. At the end of long careers struggling to hold on to the last vestiges of relevance

Having said that, you don’t get the Glastonbury experience watching it on TV. It’s simply not the same as being there.

I dare say the live crowd were wowed and captivated by Elton last night and for a couple of hours live TV it was okay and miles better than the other 2 headliners IMO but put Elton in any other stadium gig and show it at 9pm on a Sunday night and no one really cares anymore. If there’s a decent Serial drama on at the same time I’m watching that instead.

I’ve been to Glastonbury once. 2011 when the headliners were Coldplay U2 and Beyonce. All relevant up to date acts (u2 at the end of their run) . Compare that with Monkeys GnR and Elton, all 15-20 years past their sell by date and I’d have been very disappointed to have paid £350 a pop. if I’d been there I’d have skipped Elton for sure.

Having said that, Glastonbury is more about wandering about stumbling into new stuff (not always music) with a loose plan to see some stuff you can’t miss. In fact the pyramid stage at night is generally a nightmare and unless you stand there all day and get frontwards you can’t see a thing for all the flags (even the screens get blocked) I’m also not sure the BBC covered it that well this year. Perhaps it’s just got too big to do it justice and the iPlayer catch ups in the next couple of weeks will give a better sense of what was good and what wasn’t.

We’re planning to go back in the next 2 years. Hopefully the tried and tested  (and failed this year IMO) headliner format gets a bit of a revamp.

Edited by JimmyCant

hmfc_liam06

Re the flags, it's a bit of a shambles. There was one guy on someones shoulders with a pair of wings on, if you were behind him you'd no chance of seeing a thing.

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Re the flags, it's a bit of a shambles. There was one guy on someones shoulders with a pair of wings on, if you were behind him you'd no chance of seeing a thing.

I know it feels like armchair football fans complaining at something but the flags are a pain and should be ditched.

Edited by Nookie Bear

My wife said a couple of times over the weekend that she wants to go to Glastonbury. Not for me, the flags would do my head in, was my response. 

24 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There were people at the Elton gig with stuff on top of their heads that would have obscured the views of many behind them.  Personally I'd be throwing stuff to knock them off.

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

9.5/10 for auld Reg. 

Missed a trick by not playing Step Into Christmas. 😄

I once saw The Darkness play their Christmas song at T in the Park in baking sun in the second weekend of July!

Clearly a pisstake but a good laugh.