Titanic "tourist" submarine

Lone Striker

the posh bit
26 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

So, perhaps people who find it distasteful that some very rich men would use their wealth to play tourist over a mass grave are not 'jealous'?

That was exactly my point too. And then all the name calling started. 😀

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• hughesie27

the posh bit
59 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

An submarine that many in the industry feared would catastrophically fail, was controlled by a £20 Logitech controller, and was on it’s way to one of the most dangerous places on the planet before it imploded killing everybody on board….

And that fat w***** describes it as “typically British and that fills me with great pride”

:gok:

To be fair, the stupidity, recklessness and deluded sense of invincibility involved with the catastrophic event is quintessentially British at this present time in history. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Titanic "tourist" submarine
4 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Sounds like a good business to get into. Anyone know of companies that’ll take me to the Titanic? I have a budget of about a quarter million pounds. 

You might be in luck.  There could be seats available on the next trip down.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

You might be in luck.  There could be seats available on the next trip down.

Apologies in advance for poor humour. Much like the Corona (virus) beer 'joke'.

Perhaps Titan Travel can help?

CavySlaveJambo
5 hours ago, Gundermann said:

So, perhaps people who find it distasteful that some very rich men would use their wealth to play tourist over a mass grave are not 'jealous'?

Disaster Tourism is a real thing.  It just so happens that this is in an inhospitable place, with a company willing to take advantage of all this.   

Also it just so happens that none of the 6000m+ ROVs where near the area to go to look where the Submersible was found until the day it was found.  

Harry Potter
11 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Disaster Tourism is a real thing.  It just so happens that this is in an inhospitable place, with a company willing to take advantage of all this.   

Also it just so happens that none of the 6000m+ ROVs where near the area to go to look where the Submersible was found until the day it was found.  

I honestly dont see the point of going to that depth of sea water, where i can see the doomed titanic

on discovery programmes in my living room, maybe just me.

jack D and coke
29 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

I honestly dont see the point of going to that depth of sea water, where i can see the doomed titanic

Read earlier Ross Kemp was going to do it for a tv show last year on some anniversary of titanic sinking but production company backed out after serious concerns about the vessel. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, Sleepy head said:

I wonder if Celine Dion will sing a song about it?

‘My submarine will implode at 4800m’ ?

CavySlaveJambo
22 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I don’t either.  
Especially not in an “experimental” craft.

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Submarines and Helicopters. Not for me. Stupid inventions.

Yep, boats and planes I'm happy with but the other two.........no thanks.

10 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Yep, boats and planes I'm happy with but the other two.........no thanks.

I've got to go up in helicopters often for bracken spraying, scares the shite out of me every time.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've got to go up in helicopters often for bracken spraying, scares the shite out of me every time.

It's a thing that's fighting itself to stay in the sky, I hate them

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

DEFRA in England have passed Asulam, the chemical used to kill Bracken, for use this year, Scotland hasn't, so there will be a few trips in helicopters in a few weeks for me. I've a couple of younger lads working with me just now and I hoped they'd be keen to go up, nope! 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

DEFRA in England have passed Asulam, the chemical used to kill Bracken, for use this year, Scotland hasn't, so there will be a few trips in helicopters in a few weeks for me. I've a couple of younger lads working with me just now and I hoped they'd be keen to go up, nope! 

Just wondering, why do we need to kill bracken?

7 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Just wondering, why do we need to kill bracken?

It's a very invasive species, carcinogenic, it colonises areas and kills of other species, on slopes, it dies back over winter leaving bare soil and cause land slips, silts up rivers and the resulting bare soils and more importantly, peat, oxidises and releases carbon. It also reduces agriculture land.

https://bsssjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1475-2743.1985.tb00656.x

Edited by Dawnrazor

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's a very invasive species, carcinogenic, it colonises areas and kills of other species, on slopes, it dies back over winter leaving bare soil and cause land slips, silts up rivers and the resulting bare soils and more importantly, peat, oxidises and releases carbon. It also reduces agriculture land.

Fair enough, like I said I was just wondering due to having had nowt to do with bracken in my lifetime.

1 minute ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Fair enough, like I said I was just wondering due to having had nowt to do with bracken in my lifetime.

👍 A very interesting subject and satisfying to work on if you're an anorak like me!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
18 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

https://bsssjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1475-2743.1985.tb00656.x

Never knew that. V interesting 

Doctor FinnBarr
12 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

👍 A very interesting subject and satisfying to work on if you're an anorak like me!

TBH it sounds more interesting than small air bubbles between layers of carbon fibre causing a submersible to implode.

2 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

TBH it sounds more interesting than small air bubbles between layers of carbon fibre causing a submersible to implode.

Aye! But I'd bore the tits of you if I was talking to you about it 😂

Edited by Dawnrazor

That thing you do

This guy went on mission 3...the sub imploded on mission 5.

The dive waa cancelled. Had it not been theres a good chance he would be dead

18 hours ago, Smithee said:

Helicopters are no more dangerous than fixed-wing aircraft; they both use the same aerodynamics to stay in the air.

The problem for helicopters is that they spend much of their time close to the ground doing things like spraying bracken!!  And the ground is the enemy for all aircraft.  Helicopters don't kill people - hitting the ground kills people.

What makes me not cope with helicopters is they spend their whole time trying to fall to the ground and the rotors keep them up, planes just glide, and even without an engine you can still get to safety (that's how I think about it anyway!)

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

What makes me not cope with helicopters is they spend their whole time trying to fall to the ground and the rotors keep them up, planes just glide, and even without an engine you can still get to safety (that's how I think about it anyway!)

That’s how I view it as well.

13 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Speculative.  In some circumstances it can be made to land safely.  In most it's still highly likely to make a mess.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Helicopters are no more dangerous than fixed-wing aircraft; they both use the same aerodynamics to stay in the air.

The problem for helicopters is that they spend much of their time close to the ground doing things like spraying bracken!!  And the ground is the enemy for all aircraft.  Helicopters don't kill people - hitting the ground kills people.

I'd say they definitely are, half of it's there to stop the other half tearing the whole thing apart!

On 25/06/2023 at 13:25, Sleepy head said:

I wonder if Celine Dion will sing a song about it?

She’ll need to be quick. Terminally ill and not long left apparently

Unknown user
25 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

She’ll need to be quick. Terminally ill and not long left apparently

She's incurable, not terminal

53 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Yes, you can glide, but there's more to it than that.

Learning how to do emergency landings is part of pilot training and it's definitely sweaty-armpit stuff.  Fixed wing planes can glide for miles, depending on the altitude when the engine failure occurs, but the pilot must maintain an airspeed greater than stalling speed, find a suitable place to land  (hopefully a long, flat farmer's field), and ensure that he lands into the wind.  Under the best of circumstances, he's approaching the ground at speed, hoping the field is solid and even.

A helicopter can land in a back garden or parking lot at an airspeed of zero.

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I was recently informed by a cancer support worker that "having a non-curable diagnosis" is now the preferable way of saying "having a terminal illness". I'm not sure how valid this is, but it does explain why incurable may effectively = terminal.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I was recently informed by a cancer support worker that "having a non-curable diagnosis" is now the preferable way of saying "having a terminal illness". I'm not sure how valid this is, but it does explain why incurable may effectively = terminal.

She doesn't have cancer, it's a neurological condition. Life changing, not life ending.

Just now, Smithee said:

She doesn't have cancer, it's a neurological condition. Life changing, not life ending.

Ah, I didn't know that. Cheers.

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Saw footage of her recently, absolutely shocking the condition she was in. 

the posh bit
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Saw footage of her recently, absolutely shocking the condition she was in. 

Some of the footage and photos are awful, fuelling the death hoaxes that are now happening almost on a daily basis. Some proper sickos. 

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Some of the footage and photos are awful, fuelling the death hoaxes that are now happening almost on a daily basis. Some proper sickos. 

I think that's the nick of her these days rather than due to her condition

I think that was the 4th dive, while we also know every dive to such depths weakens any craft, those other craft have decades of material testing behind them. This craft did not.

We know a steel sphere can manage multiple dives, maybe now we know cigar shaped carbon fibre cannot. It was reckless and thay had been told it was reckless.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Planes and Boats you can jump out of, if you have to. Choppers and Subs 🤔

You can jump out of a chopper, it’s ejector seats you want to avoid on those things 👍

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Planes and Boats you can jump out of, if you have to. Choppers and Subs 🤔

Pervert 😂

i wish jj was my dad
On 24/06/2023 at 13:12, the posh bit said:

That was exactly my point too. And then all the name calling started. 😀

Indeed, we are all envious of billionaires who poke around mass graves for no reason other than to say they did it. It's dubious they would even be able to 'see' anything down there. 

56 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Indeed, we are all envious of billionaires who poke around mass graves for no reason other than to say they did it. It's dubious they would even be able to 'see' anything down there. 

Ironically implosion isn't the major worry of people who do this all the time like James Cameron, he doesn't overly worry about implosion and neither do most people like him. He said his major and their major worry on deep dives is entanglement, they trust the integrity of the craft. Though obviously no one in the industry trusted this craft.  

I was thinking the CEO of that outfit who did at least go down with the ship was one arrogant B. This guy was so arrogant he decided he knew better than anybody else in this field, he was offended that they even told him he was risking peoples lives. In fact so offended he threatened legal action.

The industry was begging him to have the craft classified and certified, he declined to do so because he knew it would fail. His arrogance led him and others to a suicide that was probably always coming. I don't know how much they will be able to deduce when any remaining debris is collected, I think one of the end caps was found.

At one end the cap was a viewing window made of perspex, which had only been tested to 1,300 metres while Titanic at 3,800 metres is almost 3 times deeper. Be interesting to know if that's where it began or was the hull itself the source.

It's beyond reckless he took those people down there with that window alone even if the hull is good, which I have doubts about. He's going to be vilified but i think we should recognise he wasn't malevolent, this guy in his arrogance must have truly believed this was safe. Which in the long term may not be much more exculpatory than malevolence.

Apparently while we think the $250,000 a head price tag is high, industry guys say it's nothing like enough for this. One said it should be at least $1.5 million which would provide the finance to almost renew it every time.

Change that window every time, and have a much better one every time tested to the relevant depths, and so on. These things are not amenable for reuse without massive overhaul every time, something 250 grand a head wont pay for.

All the others go through extensive and expensive post dive testing plus overhaul. There is no place in it for budget tourism.

Edited by JFK-1

That thing you do

Pictures of the recovery of the pieces shows quite a few large pieces of debris. Not the carbon fibre tube from what I can see but the rest of it looks semi intact. This may not have been the instant death thats been reported. James Cameron said they had dropped ballast and were heading back up and that looks more plausible. I now think they knew very well they were in trouble but for how long they knew and had to contemplate it Im not sure. 

Terrifying even if they knew for a few minutes.

CavySlaveJambo
30 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think that may be the end caps they're hauling up. Might still be the hull imploded and the end caps popped off.

The end caps were one of the areas where the concerns were.  

This video is an interesting take on the situation.   And contains how the Titan was constructed.   

As for the investigation.  US Leading with Canada, France and the UK also involved.