• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dick Dastardly

• Unknown user

• Dawnrazor

• JFK-1

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Good decision, in my opinion. I just don't see why people need a breed of dog like that.

In my experience, dogs like that are usually owned by total w*nker/drug dealer types.

The worst dogs I've came across are Jack Russell's, should be banned the wee nippy *****.

1 minute ago, escobri said:

The worst dogs I've came across are Jack Russell's, should be banned the wee nippy *****.

Nippy they might be but it’s unlikely 2 of them could take down and kill a grown man in the street. I reckon I could punt one of them a fair distance. 

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

My employers are currently trialling having dogs in offices. Going well apparently. 

Glad to hear this, therapy dogs are awesome and can have a huge impact in people's lifestyle.

Just now, Tazio said:

Nippy they might be but it’s unlikely 2 of them could take down and kill a grown man in the street. I reckon I could punt one of them a fair distance. 

That I would like to see 🤣🥾🐕‍🦺

13 minutes ago, escobri said:

I know someone who's had 4 over the years, and all were wee dotes.  One was a bit scared of his own shadow, but apart from that they were great.

Just now, Ulysses said:

I know someone who's had 4 over the years, and all were wee dotes.  One was a bit scared of his own shadow, but apart from that they were great.

Must be the owners then, oh wait a minute 🤔 

Typical knee jerk reaction by politicians to look like they are doing something without addressing the real issue. All dogs are potentially dangerous dogs.

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, escobri said:

Typical knee jerk reaction by politicians to look like they are doing something without addressing the real issue. All dogs are potentially dangerous dogs.

Whilst I agree that a dogs behavour is essentially a reflection of it's owner, which is what I believe you're alluding to, I don't think all breeds are physically capable of the violence we've seen with this XL bully.

The wrong people are just going to keep getting their hands on them, and I doubt any sentence the police can impose afterwards brings much comfort to a family who've had a family member mauled to death.

I have a bully and you couldn’t get a more gentle dog, genuinely she is super docile, however I do recognise the type of people who are/were drawn to these dogs for financial gain, surely licensing everyone who wishes to own one and is subject to police clearance and SSPCA inspection is fairer?? How can you blame a whole breed for a few bad ones that are owned by idiots. 

let’s be clear there is a problem but it’s not all bully’s that are to blame, mine sits in the pub and gets fed ice cubes from the bar staff and roles on her back to get her belly scratched. We have had several breeds over the years such as German Shepard’s, rotties, Doberman to name but a few who have had calls for bans. 

I wish I had recorded every time Cookie has been attached by a “wee” dog and she never responds .

Any dog that can take my family members down and potentially kill then needs booted tf off our streets! Any animal is capable of turning irrespective of upbringing, and massive powerful breeds are a heartbreak waiting to happen!

46 minutes ago, escobri said:

Must be the owners then, oh wait a minute 🤔 

It could be.  There's an old Irish saying that "the manners of the dog are the manners of the family."

We've had "devil dog" panics before.

Many times.

Rottweilers, Bulldogs, Pitbulls, Dobermans, various Mastiffs, Shibas, Akitas.....the list of Public Enemy #1 dog breeds is long and ever changing.

The Media grab onto a certain breed from time to time and bang their wee drums and demand bans and a Government looking for a distraction will inflate it and try to act all hard and ban a certain breed blah blah blah.

Seen it all before.

Yes, certain dog breeds have certain inbred instincts. 

But every dog breed has the capacity to cause terrible damage. They're a meat eating predator.

It's more down to the owners and training (or lack thereof) of both the dog and the handlers of that dog.

I've seen Lurchers being walked on a regular lead and attacking other (usually smaller) dogs. No harness, no muzzle, no control from the handler.

I've seen wee yappy *******s attacking larger dogs and the owners just laughing about it.

I've seen family pets being allowed to jump up at people and snatch food out of hands and the owners think it's acceptable or even funny/charming.

Humans are the problem.

The problem with the "devil dogs" is that the owners tend to be complete feckin arseholes who treat these dogs as a weapon or a status symbol in their daft wee gangster lifestyle circles.

I reckon every dog should need a licence and the owners/handlers should need to pass a training course before being allowed to own a dog.

You can't blame the animal for following its instinctive hunting behaviour if it has had no training to instruct it otherwise and has no control by a handler.

Almost every dog bite comes from a human being at fault.

The Dangerous Dogs Act has been around since 1991 and has done the square root of feck all.

2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Good decision, in my opinion. I just don't see why people need a breed of dog like that.

In my experience, dogs like that are usually owned by total w*nker/drug dealer types.

The issue is that the bams who buy dogs and teach them to be vicious will just move on to another breed. 

henrysmithsgloves

I've been around and had German shepherds all my life, I've seen the carnage that they can cause,,ban the breed? No it's down to irresponsible owners and breeders, Staffordshire bull terriers don't have the "street cred" nowadays,hence a they've moved on to Bully's and with bad breeding causing psychotic traits add Ahole owners it's a recipe for disaster. As with any breed you can train it to be a big pussy or a killer. If the dogs psychotic due to breeding/ mistreated there's not much hope for it. As mentioned before the smaller the breed the worst,due to owners treating them like a small child "because it's soooo cute".  All my dogs have been attacked by small breeds,off the lead and out of control, because it's soooo cute. My dogs have never bit any dog in retaliation after getting attacked. I would rather kick a wee fecker away than a big beast😳

CavySlaveJambo

How do you define what is essentially a mutt in to the law?  Especially when ONE of the breeds is already on the banned list.   

henrysmithsgloves
12 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

How do you define what is essentially a mutt in to the law?  Especially when ONE of the breeds is already on the banned list.   

DNA test used to be the way with the pit bulls, honestly don't know if it's the same procedure nowadays 

CavySlaveJambo
6 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

DNA test used to be the way with the pit bulls, honestly don't know if it's the same procedure nowadays 

They don’t use DNA at all.  They use measurements still.   

Shooter McGavin
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

The issue is that the bams who buy dogs and teach them to be vicious will just move on to another breed. 

Possibly, but at this stage it sounds like the XL bully is the most capable of killing people at this moment in time, so they need to do something.

henrysmithsgloves
14 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Possibly, but at this stage it sounds like the XL bully is the most capable of killing people at this moment in time, so they need to do something.

Pull all the teeth out🤔

th-1965981329.jpg

17 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Aye, I’m not saying ban them or don’t ban them because I don’t know much about it. I do remember deaths and maulings from pit bulls leading to a ban on them in the early nineties.  Hard to tell what effect it had without figures but some years later folk were calling for a ban on Staffies. People who want aggressive dogs will find and train aggressive dogs. 

I just feel that a ban on any particular breed doesn’t really solve much. 

9 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Your second point completely invalidates your first. 

Well played sir 👏

Edited by trotter

13 hours ago, Cade said:

We've had "devil dog" panics before.

Many times.

Rottweilers, Bulldogs, Pitbulls, Dobermans, various Mastiffs, Shibas, Akitas.....the list of Public Enemy #1 dog breeds is long and ever changing.

The Media grab onto a certain breed from time to time and bang their wee drums and demand bans and a Government looking for a distraction will inflate it and try to act all hard and ban a certain breed blah blah blah.

Seen it all before.

Yes, certain dog breeds have certain inbred instincts. 

But every dog breed has the capacity to cause terrible damage. They're a meat eating predator.

It's more down to the owners and training (or lack thereof) of both the dog and the handlers of that dog.

I've seen Lurchers being walked on a regular lead and attacking other (usually smaller) dogs. No harness, no muzzle, no control from the handler.

I've seen wee yappy *******s attacking larger dogs and the owners just laughing about it.

I've seen family pets being allowed to jump up at people and snatch food out of hands and the owners think it's acceptable or even funny/charming.

Humans are the problem.

The problem with the "devil dogs" is that the owners tend to be complete feckin arseholes who treat these dogs as a weapon or a status symbol in their daft wee gangster lifestyle circles.

I reckon every dog should need a licence and the owners/handlers should need to pass a training course before being allowed to own a dog.

You can't blame the animal for following its instinctive hunting behaviour if it has had no training to instruct it otherwise and has no control by a handler.

Almost every dog bite comes from a human being at fault.

The Dangerous Dogs Act has been around since 1991 and has done the square root of feck all.

Good post Cade 👍

21 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Reflected hardness.

Some inadequate people like to portray how hard they think they are via a dog...

They either need to put down the dogs or the owners. I know which it probably should be, but won't...

CavySlaveJambo

Index of Exempted Dogs has 3556 dogs on it (as of April this year) 

They are still adding Pit Bull Type dogs on to the index of exempted dogs 30 years beyond the Dangerous Dogs Act.   Most are probably cross breeds now.

il Duce McTarkin
37 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Reflected hardness.

Some inadequate people like to portray how hard they think they are via a dog...

They either need to put down the dogs or the owners. I know which it probably should be, but won't...

Couple of welts round my way strut about with their XL bullys, staring at their phones  while the dug shites all over the paths and public park then leave it lying. If you try and picture the  stereotypical nick of the ***** I can guarantee you'll be spot on.

On 15/09/2023 at 18:45, GinRummy said:

They already did when pitbulls were banned.  XL Bullys are the result.    Supply & demand from dangerous human scum basically.   The Kennel Club have not added XL Bully to their list of accredited dog breeds for that reason, afaik.

10 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

They already did when pitbulls were banned.  XL Bullys are the result.    Supply & demand from dangerous human scum basically.   The Kennel Club have not added XL Bully to their list of accredited dog breeds for that reason, afaik.

It’s just so sad that some arseholes use dogs as status symbols. If it wasn’t the bully it’s be something else. Just scumbags. 

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s just so sad that some arseholes use dogs as status symbols. If it wasn’t the bully it’s be something else. Just scumbags. 

Yep. 👍 One major aspect of these modern  breeds is the size and weight of them.  Even with a strong chain lead, a XL Bully in attack mode would be almost impossible for the owner to hold on to  and pull it away.

Edited by Lone Striker

On 05/06/2023 at 18:56, Francis Albert said:

Following another long thread idolising man's best friend I will risk unprecedented hatred by saying I do not like dogs. Nor cats for that matter. Five people have died in the last few days from dog attacks. One incident in which the police shot a dog after it had attacked a women resulted in a 1.5 million plus petition condemning the police. Like the majority of other cases the owner was illegally in charge of a dog due to its breed or previous incidents. 

Now I recognise the owner rather than the dog is mostly to blame but the culture seems to be that dogs are never to blame. 

And if a pub is dog friendly I avoid it.

And I feel.sorry for the poorly paid council workers who have to empty bins of little plastic bags of dog shit. Or pick them off the pavement when the owner has either missed the bin or not bothered to find one.

I will quote ad nauseum.

"No such thing as a bad dog, only a bad owner".

Konrad von Carstein
47 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I think a licence for dogs is needed and third party liability insurance.

Post of the thread...similar for cyclists and those morons on e-scooters...

Dagger Is Back
14 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Okay, but you need a licence (which involves a test) to have one. Final offer :) 

Apologies for the fruit loop bit. It's been a tough day.

I think we need to consider licensing but is the problem with a 'test' that most people can pass a one off if they put their minds to it? It might act as a deterrent to some who can't be arsed paying for that test and putting themselves through it right enough.

We have a friend who trains Guide Dogs. The 'drop out' rate is pretty damn high. What do we do with those dogs in light of your original comment?

We have a stunning black male lab, our second dog after a female Golden Retriever.

We've been offered a grand a pop for him to do his thing from a number of people. We know people who are breeding because they have school fees to pay or one couple who want a new kitchen.

We could spend that money the same as anyone else but we've said no and will continue to say no.

We have a relative who works at a dog shelter. We hear the stories and won't add to that horror story.

So what to do?

Licence and monitor all breeders

Introduce an owners licence

Mandatory dog insurance for owners and a tie in to that licence being renewed annually

As always, it's not a straightforward situation but there's definitely more that can be done.

57 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Apologies for the fruit loop bit. It's been a tough day.

I think we need to consider licensing but is the problem with a 'test' that most people can pass a one off if they put their minds to it? It might act as a deterrent to some who can't be arsed paying for that test and putting themselves through it right enough.

We have a friend who trains Guide Dogs. The 'drop out' rate is pretty damn high. What do we do with those dogs in light of your original comment?

We have a stunning black male lab, our second dog after a female Golden Retriever.

We've been offered a grand a pop for him to do his thing from a number of people. We know people who are breeding because they have school fees to pay or one couple who want a new kitchen.

We could spend that money the same as anyone else but we've said no and will continue to say no.

We have a relative who works at a dog shelter. We hear the stories and won't add to that horror story.

So what to do?

Licence and monitor all breeders

Introduce an owners licence

Mandatory dog insurance for owners and a tie in to that licence being renewed annually

As always, it's not a straightforward situation but there's definitely more that can be done.

Well done for not aiding and abetting these chancers .  Yes I know times are tough for many folk , but unlicensed dog breeding for amateurs when the only  motive is to make money is likely to  harm the health & wellbeing of the pups and cause costly problems for unsuspecting buyers.

Most rehoming shelters are full to the brim - folk who want to buy a dog should make that their first port of call where qualified dog trainers and behaviourists are only too happy to help for a modest fee.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Well done for not aiding and abetting these chancers .  Yes I know times are tough for many folk , but unlicensed dog breeding for amateurs when the only  motive is to make money is likely to  harm the health & wellbeing of the pups and cause costly problems for unsuspecting buyers.

Most rehoming shelters are full to the brim - folk who want to buy a dog should make that their first port of call where qualified dog trainers and behaviourists are only too happy to help for a modest fee.

Couldn't agree more. 

Sad thing is XL Bully's are not even a breed, they are an excuse to get round bsl.  No properly owned dog is dangerous. People who don t know how to train them and own them are the problem. They will move on to the next hybrid. A few rogue dogs owned by arseholes in a country of 70 pus million people? It's never the dog it's the owner. You should have to pass a test to own as dog. I've fostered rescued and re trained many so called dangerous dogs. It's not the breed of its the owner, only difference is the damage a large dog can do if not properly trained. BSL is pointless. We need PSL. A license to own, control and breed. The ****ing country is full of homeless dogs so rescue, don't breed . ...my rescue Pekingese is the most aggressive dog I have had, my pits, staffs and XL Bully's have been tame in comparison

But hey.....he's getting there. Wee shite. Bit me twice this week. 

I’m just back from Dundee as I had to pop up tonight for a work thing. I got the train there and walking from the station there were a pair of charmers walking along the Main Street at around 6pm bold as brass with one of those dogs with them, off the lead stoating about the place going up to strangers. Bearing in mind the news this week it was like an eff you to people. 

6 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

IQ test for ownership!!

Neuter potential owners @ 16, there's a scary increase in doughnuts among us...:biggrin:

Seems the ban on xl bully’s is just for England and Wales at the moment. 

Scottish government haven’t decided whether they will follow. 

All xl’s will need to be registered and muzzled. Seems the correct decision 

Why anyone would want to own a “pet” that would take several grown men to restrain it if it turned . 

Francis Albert
14 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I will quote ad nauseum.

"No such thing as a bad dog, only a bad owner".

But there are bad owners and therefore bad dogs. I try to avoid dog friendly pubs because the dogs  are often accomanied by bad owners who allow their dogs to roam free, encourage them to sit on seats and even tables, and ecourage dog loving bar staff serving fod and drink to give dogs a good all over cuddle. And given the choice I would prefer a to encounter a bad owner with a pekinese rather than one with an xi Bully.

16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But there are bad owners and therefore bad dogs. I try to avoid dog friendly pubs because the dogs  are often accomanied by bad owners who allow their dogs to roam free, encourage them to sit on seats and even tables, and ecourage dog loving bar staff serving fod and drink to give dogs a good all over cuddle. And given the choice I would prefer a to encounter a bad owner with a pekinese rather than one with an xi Bully.

Your first sentence says it all.