Dogs - the other side.

Francis Albert

Francis Albert

Following another long thread idolising man's best friend I will risk unprecedented hatred by saying I do not like dogs. Nor cats for that matter. Five people have died in the last few days from dog attacks. One incident in which the police shot a dog after it had attacked a women resulted in a 1.5 million plus petition condemning the police. Like the majority of other cases the owner was illegally in charge of a dog due to its breed or previous incidents. 

Now I recognise the owner rather than the dog is mostly to blame but the culture seems to be that dogs are never to blame. 

And if a pub is dog friendly I avoid it.

And I feel.sorry for the poorly paid council workers who have to empty bins of little plastic bags of dog shit. Or pick them off the pavement when the owner has either missed the bin or not bothered to find one.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dick Dastardly

• Unknown user

• Dawnrazor

• JFK-1

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Following another long thread idolising man's best friend I will risk unprecedented hatred by saying I do not like dogs. Nor cats for that matter. Five people have died in the last few days from dog attacks. One incident in which the police shot a dog after it had attacked a women resulted in a 1.5 million plus petition condemning the police. Like the majority of other cases the owner was illegally in charge of a dog due to its breed or previous incidents. 

Now I recognise the owner rather than the dog is mostly to blame but the culture seems to be that dogs are never to blame. 

And I feel.sorry for the poorly paid council workers who have to empty bins of little plastic bags of dog shit. Or pick them off the pavement when the owner has either missed the bin or not bothered to find one.

Could you let me know the pubs you avoid?  

Asking for a friend.

Dick Dastardly
11 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No hatred from me even though i love dogs (and cats). If you don't like them then fair enough. Your post does seem to be more about irresponsible owners more than the dogs themselves though. 

henrysmithsgloves
13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

At least you admit it! I admire you,many dogs are used as a symbol status by folk that can hardly look after themselves.👍🏻

CavySlaveJambo
19 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

On the first point, if a place is not dog friendly, it doesn’t mean it is dog free.  Assistance Dogs (who are most likely going to be well behaved) can be there.  But then they are not going to be bothering you. 

Also, on the Dog Poop, I totally agree with you there.  People need to Bin the poop. 

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Asking for a friend.

The Artful Duke and Jolly Woodman in Bromley for two.  Hope that helps your friend.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

On the first point, if a place is not dog friendly, it doesn’t mean it is dog free.  Assistance Dogs (who are most likely going to be well behaved) can be there.  But then they are not going to be bothering you. 

Also, on the Dog Poop, I totally agree with you there.  People need to Bin the poop. 

No pronlem at all with assistance dogs. In fact they are the goodies of the canine world. Sheep dogs too.

Francis Albert
9 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Preferably double or triple wrapped and in  Their own bin at home not in a flimsy plastic bag in or near the one next to the bus stop. 

Dick Dastardly
15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No pronlem at all with assistance dogs. In fact they are the goodies of the canine world. Sheep dogs too.

Sheep dog are half feral things that live outside coated in cow shit. 

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Sheep dog are half feral things that live outside coated in cow shit. 

Fortunately I never encounter them. But they seem to do a worthwhile job.

periodictabledancer

As a dog owner , Im totally p'd off with dogs like Staffies (two of which savaged my lab pup) which cannot be controlled because  of their strenghth. I often see yapping bunches of terriers and dachsunds locally which I've told the owners of to feck right off out of my way when I'm walking the pup now. I'm sick to death of hearing "he's noisy but he's OK"  from useless dog owners who can't be arsed to train their dogs or take them to obedience classes. 

I've had dogs , off and on , for 30 years and I wouldn't trust any dog near a child, I'd never consider owning any dog I couldn't physically control. 

The dog shit? Well it's creating work for someone. 

4 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

As a dog owner , Im totally p'd off with dogs like Staffies (two of which savaged my lab pup) which cannot be controlled because  of their strenghth. I often see yapping bunches of terriers and dachsunds locally which I've told the owners of to feck right off out of my way when I'm walking the pup now. I'm sick to death of hearing "he's noisy but he's OK"  from useless dog owners who can't be arsed to train their dogs or take them to obedience classes. 

I've had dogs , off and on , for 30 years and I wouldn't trust any dog near a child, I'd never consider owning any dog I couldn't physically control. 

add to that those ignorant dog owners who think it is acceptable to let their dog jump all over whoever they want as "they just want to play". No control your dog and properly train it or have it taken off you

Dick Dastardly
5 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Thats absolute rubbish that some dog breeds cannot be controlled. Staffies are lovely, friendly dogs if brought up properly. 

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Thanks. As I said owners are the problem. Along with a belief that dogs can do no harm and are always provoked. Even by children. And therefore innocent.

7 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Thats absolute rubbish that some dog breeds cannot be controlled. Staffies are lovely, friendly dogs if brought up properly. 

If

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Dogs are only a problem if the owner is a numpty. 

Exactly.

Francis Albert
18 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Dogs are only a problem if the owner is a numpty. 

A big if. Many owners are. As are dog lovers. In a dog friendly pub a few years back I watched bar staff serving food while rubbing their hands all over the lovely pooches. Then I objected  when a dog came up to our table and licked my hand. The owner vehemently denied that this could possibly have happened. It did. But dogs can do nothing wrong for the real dog lover. Maul someone to death  and the dog must have been provoked.

1.5 million petition objecting to police shooting a dog after an attack on an elderly woman?  

A lot of numpties around.

Edited by Francis Albert

Dog chased after me when out running the other day and just about tripped me up.

Dog and owner = twats 

You're wrong on cats though. They're brilliant.

Breeds of dogs were all brought about generally for a working purpose so different breeds have different strengths and weaknesses from an owner's point of view.

People, in general, look at what they like the look of, size and coat type to fit in with their life style rather that look at the history of a breed, Teckles (working bred Dachshunds) are very popular just now, these are small hounds, they are bred to put their nose down and follow a scent for as far as it takes to find game, owners are then at a loss when they let their pet (the dogs inherent instincts don't know it's only meant to be a pet!) off the lead and it buggers off doing what it's hundreds of years of breeding tell it to do.

It's way too easy to get a dog now, they're being bred all over the place often without any thought of lines or health tests.

People should really take training classes, it's the owners that need training to train their dogs. I've had dogs for 38 years and competed with them and trained them to a high standard but when you see people with a completely unsuitable breed that can't let them off the lead or have them unmuzzled in public it pisses me off. Unfortunately a lot of people get a status symbol or fashion accessory rather than a suitable breed for a pet home.

Edited by Dawnrazor

Dogs in general are a lot less malevolent than people are, any breed can be raised responsibly by responsible people.

And without them there's a theory we may not have our society at all, some researchers think they were they key to settling down to farming. Without them the theory speculates we may still be hunter gatherers, as we were for a million years before farming.

periodictabledancer
37 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

My neighbour's had staffies for 20+ years - no problems there. But I've got a huge vets bill because a woman couldn't control her two Staffies , one of which slipped its lead and went on the rampage to attack my pup which was lucky to esscape. 

So , I don't need a lecture on Staffies , thanks. 

Edited by periodictabledancer

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Asking for a friend.

😆👍🏽👏🏾

Too many arseholes have them.

Though dog ownership has risen its nowhere near the old scheme days of wild packs,dugs for a chase,dugs to be avoided and rapey dugs.

Also think our pets are too many.

But I'm a hypocrite saying as I've had a cat and have a Dug.

The ither side is the trade in dugs.

Especially ones that are bread and are a disaster anatomically ,whose life's are blighted by breathlessness and the struggle to breathe.

Sorry FA that's the other side of it for me.

But dangerous dogs in the hands of an idiot needs dealt with.

How I don't know.

JudyJudyJudy
58 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I've had dogs , off and on , for 30 years and I wouldn't trust any dog near a child

Agreed . 

henrysmithsgloves
48 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'm with you, I've owned German shepherds for 50 odd years,like any dog it's the owners, don't like staffies or jack Russells but that's a personal thing 

JudyJudyJudy

Im not that keen on dogs either . Don’t dislike them , Just would never own one . More of a cat person . Love them . I like horses too . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy
25 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

As are dog lovers. In a dog friendly pub a few years back I watched bar staff serving food while rubbing their hands all over the lovely pooches. Then I objected  when a dog came up to our table and licked my hand. The

Oh yes I’ve seen this in pubs . Yuck 🤮 

henrysmithsgloves
23 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Im not that keen on dogs either . Don’t dislike them , Just would never own one . More of a cat person . Love them . I like horses too . 

Cats are amazing, love my son's Siamese nature,it's fracking nuts🤣

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Cats are amazing, love my son's Siamese nature,it's fracking nuts🤣

They really are . They are so chilled , lazy and Just dont give a fevk . I would get one but I’ve got serious sinus issues so not sure if advisable . 

Unknown user
Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

Sorry mate, didn’t mean to offend. I’ve just read a book where a travel writer visits some islands and they eat dogs. Some people were coy about it, others were open.

Didn’t realise we could swear on this forum!

Ah nuts, it was meant to be the type of culture that would eat a dog.

I'll get my coat 😕

Dick Dastardly
32 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

I'm with you, I've owned German shepherds for 50 odd years,like any dog it's the owners, don't like staffies or jack Russells but that's a personal thing 

I meet 2 staffies most nights when I'm out with my dog and they are lovely dogs. My neighbour also has one and it just loves a belly rub. Soft as shite. 

One if my other neighbours has a wee terrier thing and it barks like crazy when you walk past the gate but it doesn't make a sound if you meet it out on a walk. It's just being defensive when at home, doing what it thinks it's job is. 

Love dogs and cats but generally prefer cats. Dogs just leave me covered in slobber and stinking of dog, cats saying hello is a much cleaner ordeal, they even lick their own arsehole clean.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Breeds of dogs were all brought about generally for a working purpose so different breeds have different strengths and weaknesses from an owner's point of view.

People, in general, look at what they like the look of, size and coat type to fit in with their life style rather that look at the history of a breed, Teckles (working bred Dachshunds) are very popular just now, these are small hounds, they are bred to put their nose down and follow a scent for as far as it takes to find game, owners are then at a loss when they let their pet (the dogs inherent instincts don't know it's only meant to be a pet!) off the lead and it buggers off doing what it's hundreds of years of breeding tell it to do.

It's way too easy to get a dog now, they're being bred all over the place often without any thought of lines or health tests.

People should really take training classes, it's the owners that need training to train their dogs. I've had dogs for 38 years and competed with them and trained them to a high standard but when you see people with a completely unsuitable breed that can't let them off the lead or have them unmuzzled in public it pisses me off. Unfortunately a lot of people get a status symbol or fashion accessory rather than a suitable breed for a pet home.

Or people have big, powerful, untrained dogs to give them a big of extra time to flush the stash down the bog if the police come crashing in 😂😂

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Or people have big, powerful, untrained dogs to give them a big of extra time to flush the stash down the bog if the police come crashing in 😂😂

Exactly! 

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Dogs in general are a lot less malevolent than people are, any breed can be raised responsibly by responsible people.

And without them there's a theory we may not have our society at all, some researchers think they were they key to settling down to farming. Without them the theory speculates we may still be hunter gatherers, as we were for a million years before farming.

It's a sensible idea that they would've helped with the domestication of other animals, along with help to keep humans safe and to help with hunting. They probably helped keep disease down as well by eating left overs and human waste. 

19 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It's a sensible idea that they would've helped with the domestication of other animals, along with help to keep humans safe and to help with hunting. They probably helped keep disease down as well by eating left overs and human waste. 

It  makes sense to me, if you want to get into this settling down to farming malarkey what will you need? Well you will need livestock for a guaranteed year round meat supply, but how do you protect it from predators?

Many predators prowl at night, we can't see in the dark. A dog on the other hand doesn't need to see, his nose will tell him there's a predator out there from a mile off, and he will raise the alarm.

Same thing with crops, how do you keep crop pests like rabbits or whatever away from your crop? Well dogs would be a lot better at that than we could ever be, they're still working on farms to this day and a lot more besides. Remarkable animals. 

This is a thinly veiled ‘dog/dug (?) owner hatred thread’.

This is a good thread.

Horrible things.

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Sorry mate, didn’t mean to offend. I’ve just read a book where a travel writer visits some islands and they eat dogs. Some people were coy about it, others were open.

Didn’t realise we could swear on this forum!

You can work your away around the swear filter but they will catch you and  give you a reprimand, I’ve had a few 😜

My dog doesn’t go on a lead. She is well trained and as docile as possible. Never bared her teeth ever. She’s a wee Lhasa Apso mind and just wants to eat. And say hello to everyone. A 20 minute walk takes a fecking hour 🤦‍♂️

Made a better job of her than I did with the kids 🙂

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Human beings are far worse than dogs/dugs (?) by the way.

👍🏽

Dick Dastardly
3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

It  makes sense to me, if you want to get into this settling down to farming malarkey what will you need? Well you will need livestock for a guaranteed year round meat supply, but how do you protect it from predators?

Many predators prowl at night, we can't see in the dark. A dog on the other hand doesn't need to see, his nose will tell him there's a predator out there from a mile off, and he will raise the alarm.

Same thing with crops, how do you keep crop pests like rabbits or whatever away from your crop? Well dogs would be a lot better at that than we could ever be, they're still working on farms to this day and a lot more besides. Remarkable animals. 

100% agree. Plus they keep you warm at night 😂😂

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Oddly as I read this I was looking at the person on my bus with a massive mastiff at their feet. If that decker gets out of control there’s no way he’s controlling it. Unless he has a 7 iron hidden that I can’t see. Ditto those big Akita things which are apparently dangerous as they will attack without the usual warning signs. 

Jim_Duncan
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You can work your away around the swear filter but they will catch you and  give you a reprimand, I’ve had a few 😜

So I could share my appreciation of the shitsu breed while also admitting that I struggle with speling?