Dogs - the other side.

Francis Albert

Unknown user
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

Dogs should be banned from indoor public spaces unless they are assistance dogs. They should always be on leads and under control in outdoor public spaces. One in ten people are allergic to them and many others hate their disgusting habits. They scare people and other animals and all dog owners are arrogant, selfish, inconsiderate pricks, as this thread has demonstrated.

On the plus side, they annoy JUST the right people

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dick Dastardly

• Unknown user

• Dawnrazor

• JFK-1

Dick Dastardly
3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Dogs should be banned from indoor public spaces unless they are assistance dogs. They should always be on leads and under control in outdoor public spaces. One in ten people are allergic to them and many others hate their disgusting habits. They scare people and other animals and all dog owners are arrogant, selfish, inconsiderate pricks, as this thread has demonstrated.

Someone wasn't allowed a puppy when they were little, eh? 

12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:laugh2: 

There's been a couple of times Minky's brought me a stashed pig ear when I'm eating steak.

:D

You need to buy one of these.

2023-06-06.jpg

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

On the plus side, they annoy JUST the right people

Clearly I'm right about the arrogant, selfish, inconsiderate pricks.

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, Smithee said:

Jeezo poor lad

Hasn't ****ed with a stag since.

Lesson learned.

6 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Someone wasn't allowed a puppy when they were little, eh? 

Away and wallow in your dogs shitey, pish stained drenched drool.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Don't threaten me with a good time

cosanostra
11 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

@cosanostra, this sort of stuff is/was your line of business,no?

IMG-20230606-WA0007.thumb.jpg.6a58308b1e0eba7ba810a721efa12cd6.jpgIMG-20230606-WA0006.thumb.jpg.3f85bc44293a533a09acb904b4ad8f99.jpgIMG-20230606-WA0005.thumb.jpg.57855bdddb2908aaff6272f81e089214.jpg

😲

Jeez. That's terrible. Was he advised to put the dog down? 

The bilateral plates like that is the same way they fix fractures in humans. They actually look exactly like the same plates too. They're probably pediatric sizes. 

I can only imagine how much that surgery cost.

Dick Dastardly
9 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Drool can be pish stained? 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, cosanostra said:

😲

The bilateral plates like that is the same way they fix fractures in humans. They actually look exactly like the same plates too. They're probably pediatric sizes. 

Ah are you a vet? I did tech support for Idexx instruments

Dick Dastardly
4 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

If that's your choice.

Well it was you that mentioned it first. I thought you might be some kind of slever expert. 

Dick Dastardly
22 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Cracking gif, that. :lol:

It's my new favourite 😂😂😂

I generally like dogs, but don't think I'll ever have the intention of having my own. Not a pet person at all, but I do enjoy the company of a dog from time to time.

Cats not so much. I don't dislike cats, I just find them a little bit more deceiving and untrustworthy from my own personal experiences than a dog.

Dick Dastardly
10 minutes ago, Locky said:

I generally like dogs, but don't think I'll ever have the intention of having my own. Not a pet person at all, but I do enjoy the company of a dog from time to time.

Cats not so much. I don't dislike cats, I just find them a little bit more deceiving and untrustworthy from my own personal experiences than a dog.

They aren't for everyone, that's for sure. It's the best thing I've ever done though. Gets me out and off the couch, into the fresh air and the countryside. I think I'd have seriously lost the plot during lockdown without her. Cost me a fortune, i lost about 3 stone in 6 months after getting mine. Had to buy loads of new clothes. 

il Duce McTarkin
20 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

😲

Yes he was advised to put the dog down, but he couldn't do it because his dog is his best friend.

He actually struggled to find a vet who would do the surgery, and tried 8 or 9 before one in Glasgow finally gave him the nod.

The bill was eye-watering and he'll be paying off family and friends for a while to come, but it's only money.

There ARE more important things.

rudi must stay

With the pills has come a real fear of dogs sadly. They are a nightmare for me now, mainly as I just don't understand them I just move out the way when I see a dog it means I get no affection from them

cosanostra
34 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ah are you a vet? I did tech support for Idexx instruments

Nah, work in interventional radiology. Have worked a fair bit in ortho too though.

cosanostra
13 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Yes he was advised to put the dog down, but he couldn't do it because his dog is his best friend.

He actually struggled to find a vet who would do the surgery, and tried 8 or 9 before one in Glasgow finally gave him the nod.

The bill was eye-watering and he'll be paying off family and friends for a while to come, but it's only money.

There ARE more important things.

Your brother sounds like a cool ****ing guy who understands loyalty and friendship.

26 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

They aren't for everyone, that's for sure. It's the best thing I've ever done though. Gets me out and off the couch, into the fresh air and the countryside. I think I'd have seriously lost the plot during lockdown without her. Cost me a fortune, i lost about 3 stone in 6 months after getting mine. Had to buy loads of new clothes. 

I can only imagine it's a lot like having kids. Plenty out there who like kids but don't want their own. Sadly I'm lumbered with 4. :lol: 

I've always thought though maybe when I'm older and the kids have all moved on, maybe I will seek the routine and company that they've given me all their lives. Although I may well have a dozen grandkids by then. :lol: 

Dick Dastardly
6 minutes ago, Locky said:

I can only imagine it's a lot like having kids. Plenty out there who like kids but don't want their own. Sadly I'm lumbered with 4. :lol: 

I've always thought though maybe when I'm older and the kids have all moved on, maybe I will seek the routine and company that they've given me all their lives. Although I may well have a dozen grandkids by then. :lol: 

It's a lot like having a very needy, clingy kid. 

11 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

image.png

10 hours ago, Locky said:

Those kids reach a stage they don't even want the old man around anymore, or at least not all the time. A dug will be glued to you for his entire life, he will not want to leave home to get away from you.

He may steal your snacks from time to time given the chance, but he will make up for that in many others ways. The kids steal a lot more than your snacks. 😉

Unknown user
58 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Those kids reach a stage they don't even want the old man around anymore, or at least not all the time. A dug will be glued to you for his entire life, he will not want to leave home to get away from you.

He may steal your snacks from time to time given the chance, but he will make up for that in many others ways. The kids steal a lot more than your snacks. 😉

Better than grandkids for my family, she never gets bored with their company or patter :laugh2:

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Is that such a bad thing? :lol: 

21 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Any particular experience you'd like to share about dogs ? 

47 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Any particular experience you'd like to share about dogs ? 

Don't take it so personally Dug.

On 05/06/2023 at 22:30, Tazio said:

Watch out for rescue greyhounds, lurchers, or podenco’s that are off the lead. These guys have massively strong hunt instinct and small furry dogs are like catnip to them. My ex had a rescue greyhound and he was a great dog, big lazy soft bugger but get him out in the country or a big park and he had laser focus if he saw a rabbit and he had chased small dogs before. Luckily she, like most owners, had the good sense to have a muzzle of some sort on him. 

Funny enough when she sees a greyhound she stands still and doesn’t move 

Dick Dastardly
On 05/06/2023 at 18:56, Francis Albert said:

Following another long thread idolising man's best friend I will risk unprecedented hatred by saying I do not like dogs. Nor cats for that matter. Five people have died in the last few days from dog attacks. One incident in which the police shot a dog after it had attacked a women resulted in a 1.5 million plus petition condemning the police. Like the majority of other cases the owner was illegally in charge of a dog due to its breed or previous incidents. 

Now I recognise the owner rather than the dog is mostly to blame but the culture seems to be that dogs are never to blame. 

And if a pub is dog friendly I avoid it.

And I feel.sorry for the poorly paid council workers who have to empty bins of little plastic bags of dog shit. Or pick them off the pavement when the owner has either missed the bin or not bothered to find one.

Is this the petition you mean? There are videos attached to it which are very distressing. The police handled this in an appalling manner, imo. There had been reports of the dogs attacking a woman, who didn't need any treatment. Not being there its hard to know how aggressive they had been, obviously, but the heavy handed approach by the police escalated this beyond belief. It's no wonder nearly 2 million people have signed this petition 

https://www.change.org/p/hold-the-met-police-criminally-accountable-for-the-barbaric-killing-of-two-leashed-dogs

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Is this the petition you mean? There are videos attached to it which are very distressing. The police handled this in an appalling manner, imo. There had been reports of the dogs attacking a woman, who didn't need any treatment. Not being there its hard to know how aggressive they had been, obviously, but the heavy handed approach by the police escalated this beyond belief. It's no wonder nearly 2 million people have signed this petition 

https://www.change.org/p/hold-the-met-police-criminally-accountable-for-the-barbaric-killing-of-two-leashed-dogs

That is the one. I referred to it in the context of the recent killing of 5 human beings by dogs, which did not arouse the public on the same scale as this. The dogs were mostly illegal breeds or breeds the owner was banned from having. Heard of no petition for the owners to be jailed.

Yes the police action seems to have been extreme, but again I am not sure police brutality triggers quite the same level of outrage among our dog loving population.

I often read of or hear people saying after a dog attack "the dog must have been provoked" even when the victim is a young child. 

And the fact the RSPCA is better funded by the great British public than the NSPCC wrankles a bit with me.

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

That is the one. I referred to it in the context of the recent killing of 5 human beings by dogs, which did not arouse the public on the same scale as this. The dogs were mostly illegal breeds or breeds the owner was banned from having. Heard of no petition for the owners to be jailed.

Yes the police action seems to have been extreme, but again I am not sure police brutality triggers quite the same level of outrage among our dog loving population.

I often read of or hear people saying after a dog attack "the dog must have been provoked" even when the victim is a young child. 

And the fact the RSPCA is better funded by the great British public than the NSPCC wrankles a bit with me.

👍

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I agree that it's horrific that 5 people have been killed by dogs this year and something definitely needs to be done to ensure that people are safe. It needs to be considered in context though. Nearly 30,000 people were killed or seriously injured in road traffic accidents last year yet i haven't seen a petition that deals with this. I haven't seen the public protesting about it. 

In recent years there have been many protests regarding police powers and brutality. There were cars burnt and rioting when a child was run over just a few weeks ago.

To suggest that the public dont seem concerned about other human victims doesn't really seem correct, imo. Police procedures were changed after many people protested when Sarah Everard was raped and murdered, for example. 

Yes, some people do always suggest that dogs must have been provoked. This may be true in some cases, even by young children. It may not. It isn't everyone saying that. It may even be the same people in each instance.

I have absolutely no idea if the rspca receives more money than the nspcc, but its not really a good comparison. There will be more public money spent towards children than towards animals, there are probably many more childrens charities than animal charities so, to make any kind of judgement on that issue, the total amounts would be needed. How much money does children in need raise from the public? Barnardos? Make a wish etc. 

P. S. It's easy enough to start a petition about something online, if you feel strongly about it. 

10 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Yes, some people do always suggest that dogs must have been provoked. This may be true in some cases, even by young children. It may not. It isn't everyone saying that. It may even be the same people in each instance.

And some dogs just attack without provocation. This case is almost like the dogs have formed a pack.

Woman attacked by three dogs in horrifying incident in Lambeth, south London | Evening Standard

Francis Albert
51 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I agree that it's horrific that 5 people have been killed by dogs this year and something definitely needs to be done to ensure that people are safe. It needs to be considered in context though. Nearly 30,000 people were killed or seriously injured in road traffic accidents last year yet i haven't seen a petition that deals with this. I haven't seen the public protesting about it. 

In recent years there have been many protests regarding police powers and brutality. There were cars burnt and rioting when a child was run over just a few weeks ago.

To suggest that the public dont seem concerned about other human victims doesn't really seem correct, imo. Police procedures were changed after many people protested when Sarah Everard was raped and murdered, for example. 

Il have absolutely no idea if the rspca receives more money than the nspcc, but its not really a good comparison. There will be more public money spent towards children than towards animals, there are probably many more childrens charities than animal charities so, to make any kind of judgement on that issue, the total amounts would be needed. How much money does children in need raise from the public? Barnardos? Make a wish etc. 

P. S. It's easy enough to start a petition about something online, if you feel strongly about it. 

All fair comment.

But babies and young children are by nature provocative and can be bloody annoying. If a dog cannot handle that it should IMO never be anywhere near babies and young children. In fact I personally would not trust any dog with babies and very young children. Certainly not unsupervised.

And I am not even that keen on babies and small children either!

Edited by Francis Albert

Dick Dastardly
59 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

All fair comment.

But babies and young children are by nature provocative and can be bloody annoying. If a dog cannot handle that it should IMO never be anywhere near babies and young children. In fact I personally would not trust any dog with babies and very young children. Certainly not unsupervised.

And I am not even that keen on babies and small children either!

I agree about dogs not being near babies unsupervised, 100%. I would be less inclined to agree around small children if it was the family dog and depending on the temperament of that dog. Around strangers dogs is a different story though

CavySlaveJambo

Good Boy here… 

As for provoking the dog, I can tug on my boys tail.  No bother.  Because I do it to him so he is used to it.   It is actually a recommended part of socialisation.  

Also “Can I pet your dog please?”  The amount of people who just want to pet Ted is unbelievable.  Even when he is working. Without asking. 

3A8E95EB-6C4C-442F-A997-A2AAD3B89FDE.jpeg

Dick Dastardly
15 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Good Boy here… 

As for provoking the dog, I can tug on my boys tail.  No bother.  Because I do it to him so he is used to it.   It is actually a recommended part of socialisation.  

Also “Can I pet your dog please?”  The amount of people who just want to pet Ted is unbelievable.  Even when he is working. Without asking. 

3A8E95EB-6C4C-442F-A997-A2AAD3B89FDE.jpeg

My ones pretty laid back too. 

Screenshot_20230609_194854.jpg

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

My ones pretty laid back too. 

Screenshot_20230609_194854.jpg

Cocker or Springer?

Dick Dastardly
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Cocker or Springer?

Sprocker. The worst of both all rolled up into a pure eating machine.

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

Sprocker. The worst of both all rolled up into a pure eating machine.

😂 Sprocker Gate caused a hell of a stir in the gundog world a couple of years ago, all the way to the Queen 😳

Dick Dastardly
10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

😂 Sprocker Gate caused a hell of a stir in the gundog world a couple of years ago, all the way to the Queen 😳

I've just been reading up on that as i hadn't heard about it before. What a palaver! 

6 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I've just been reading up on that as i hadn't heard about it before. What a palaver! 

Lots of money involved and big fish in a small pond.