150th Anniversary Plans Announced.

been here before

been here before

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/club-unveil-plans-for-150th-anniversary-celebrations

Today, Hearts’ Chair, Ann Budge and the Chair of the Foundation of Hearts , Gerry Mallon unveiled the first marker of the Club’s impending sesquicentennial season. The new gate at Gerards Yard features for the first time a specially designed emblem marking 150 Years since Hearts’ inception. Manufactured locally by Club Partner, Hepburn Fabrications, the gate is formed of solid steel with the beautiful new emblem forged in aluminium.

Celebrations of Hearts 150th anniversary  will commence towards the start of Season 23-24 and will feature a range of events and initiatives that will involve the broadest possible cross section of supporters, families and the wider community. So, what can fans expect?  Events will include:

·       preseason friendlies

·       a festival of family fun and football at Tynecastle

·       a series of ‘Evening With’ events featuring club legends across the years and

·       special gala dinners.

Hogmanay 2023 will be celebrated in style with dinners in both the Skyline and the Gorgie Suite and there will be special celebrations as we welcome in 2024 and reach the official anniversary date. Our first home game in January will see us hoist the Sesquicentennial Flag above the stadium.

Throughout the year, we will celebrate not just the well-known stories, but we will also provide an insight into hitherto unexplored moments in history.  Our recent “Transcribathon” that saw a mini army of volunteers transform handwritten extracts from Club Minutes Books from 1874 onwards into digital and searchable documents, has unearthed fascinating insights into key moments across the decades. 

These will be shared with supporters and we look forward to engaging with local schools to bring this rich heritage to life.

In addition to all the above, our friends from Two Halves Productions will stage A War of Two Halves for a final run in November 2024 as well as producing two exciting new historic shows for Fringe 2023 and Fringe 2024. 

In anticipation of the 150th Anniversary, the Club and the Foundation of Hearts have been working on plans to enhance the Memorial at Haymarket in time for this year’s Remembrance service. 

On top of that,  we are in advanced discussions on the creation of a Maroon Mile which will run from  the monument and Tynecastle Park.

All of the above will be special, but we have so much more planned.  Further details of the 150th anniversary programme and dates will be released during pre-season.

Ann Budge commented:

“We all know that some 10 years ago, there was a real danger that Hearts would not have reached this magnificent milestone.  The incredible backing of supporters and the Foundation of Hearts changed history  and now, as the largest fan-owned club in the UK, we will celebrate 150 years as a Scottish football icon, safe in the knowledge that the future of the club has been  secured for future generations to come. “

Gerry Mallon, Chair of the Foundation of Hearts commented:

“Without Ann Budge and the amazing fans of Heart of Midlothian, it’s very doubtful if our club would have had the privilege of celebrating its 140th, let alone its 150th, anniversary. What a story this has been and what a moment we have reached together. A milestone like this must be properly celebrated and the programme which the club has so expertly drawn up will give all of us the opportunity both to reflect on our rich history and to enjoy our present – made all the more special by the enormous challenges we have faced and overcome.

Everyone involved with the Foundation can stand tall today and rightly be proud that the legacy of those 150 years has been upheld and can be passed on to new generations. It’s very fitting that the first celebration focuses on these gates, a great metaphor for throwing open the story of our club and ushering in a bright, positive future.”

152353297_GerardsYardGate-02.thumb.jpg.5a8a22649deb3b2cf439ab8e98c5488d.jpg

Edited by been here before

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Fxxx the SPFL

• queensferryjambo

jamboinglasgow

A lot of interesting details to unpack there.

Looks like the Maroon Mile is going to happen. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Step 1 - new gates 

Step 2 - new shirt 

Step 3 - announce the corners to be filled 

Been looking forward to this 

Bob Loblaw
4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

A lot of interesting details to unpack there.

Looks like the Maroon Mile is going to happen. 

Is this something that's been mentioned before? I haven't heard of it, interesting to see what it entails.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Sounds excellent.

We need the investment of time, energy and enthusiasm to be matched on the football aside of things.

I also see Rangers and Celtic already announcing high profile pre-season friendlies/ I know some of our fans are jaundiced about this but we will play pre-season friendlies no matter what.

I’d rather we faced Newcastle and I don’t know Valencia (or Bayern…👀) for example at home than Crawley Town and Stoke.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Bob Loblaw said:

Is this something that's been mentioned before? I haven't heard of it, interesting to see what it entails.

Its been talked about at times when the new stand was being built and on the odd occasion afterwards. Think it will essestionally see Dalry Road tarted up with Hearts banners on lamp posts and other Hearts decorations. So you have the feel from walking from Haymarket to the stadium that you are going to Tynecastle.

Fxxx the SPFL
5 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Sounds excellent.

We need the investment of time, energy and enthusiasm to be matched on the football aside of things.

I also see Rangers and Celtic already announcing high profile pre-season friendlies/ I know some of our fans are jaundiced about this but we will play pre-season friendlies no matter what.

I’d rather we faced Newcastle and I don’t know Valencia (or Bayern…👀) for example at home than Crawley Town and Stoke.

Aston Villa founded 1874

The Hogfather
14 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Sounds excellent.

Would very much like a friendly away down in England somewhere. Leyton Orient usually mentioned due to their links with McCraes. 

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Its been talked about at times when the new stand was being built and on the odd occasion afterwards. Think it will essestionally see Dalry Road tarted up with Hearts banners on lamp posts and other Hearts decorations. So you have the feel from walking from Haymarket to the stadium that you are going to Tynecastle.

Can't see them lasting long sadly. 

millerjames398
18 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Step 1 - new gates 

Step 2 - new shirt 

Step 3 - announce the corners to be filled 

Been looking forward to this 

I always knew we were waiting for the perfect moment, to announce we are filling in the corners😂🇱🇻

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Would very much like a friendly away down in England somewhere. Leyton Orient usually mentioned due to their links with McCraes. 

Yep - a friendly at a decent sized club in England would be awesome also.

Something on the LNER route.

Leeds?

Arsenal?

14 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Aston Villa founded 1874

As were Hamilton, Bolton and Greenock Morton

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Can't see them lasting long sadly. 

We should never set the bar to the sort of scum who vandalise things . If it gets vandalised then that is on the scum who do it . We are an ancient Edinburgh institution steeped in history , and we should never shy away and apologise for proudly stating our place in our community . Plenty Jambos had to walk about Leith with all their signs etc a few years ago , and to the best of my knowledge there was no vandalism . Gorgie and Dalry is our local community 

August Landmesser
18 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Aston Villa founded 1874

Hamilton Accies too.

The Riddler's Derby...

queensferryjambo

Aside from the multiple celebrations we should be having through this year I am really hoping we have a really good season 2023/24 and 2024/25 to look back on as well. 

lost in space
1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

Aside from the multiple celebrations we should be having through this year I am really hoping we have a really good season 2023/24 and 2024/25 to look back on as well. 

You are looking forward - to em, looking back?

OK then.

queensferryjambo
Just now, lost in space said:

You are looking forward - to em, looking back?

OK then.

Yes in the years to come I hope to look back on seasons 2023/24 and 2024/25 as seasons I have fond memories of.

What is hard to understand about that?

Gates look magnificent - wonder if we'll use that crest on the kits this season with the 150 years? Would make sense & would look phenomenal imo.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Should manage to be better than 1973/74 and 1974/75 I hope. 

lost in space
1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

Yes in the years to come I hope to look back on seasons 2023/24 and 2024/25 as seasons I have fond memories of.

What is hard to understand about that?

Like "Back to the future"?

queensferryjambo
Just now, davemclaren said:

Not seasons I remember Dave, but from the guys who stuck with it through some tough times in the 1970s it didn't sound like much fun. 

queensferryjambo
1 minute ago, lost in space said:

Like "Back to the future"?

Yes but without the Delorean. 

Bob Loblaw
32 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

That'd be great if done properly.

jamboinglasgow
24 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

That'd be great if done properly.

And to be fair to Hibs (not that anyone on here wants to be) if they were to complain, there is nothing stopping them pushing with the council to do the same for Easter Road.

manaliveits105
5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

And to be fair to Hibs (not that anyone on here wants to be) if they were to complain, there is nothing stopping them pushing with the council to do the same for Easter Road.

The Rat Run 

The Treasurer
50 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Just the mention of those seasons sends a chiver down my spine. 

Portable Badger
1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

Aston Villa founded 1874

I was going to suggest if the ‘festival of football’ or friendlies might involve clubs who existed in 1874?

I wonder if we’ll do an all white strip or go for the red, white & blue horizontal stripes?

John Findlay
51 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Here is definitely hoping!

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Quite. 🧐

Those gates are total class a great start to amazing year coming up for HMFC. Let's hope Anderson goes balls deep in Hearts and shells out 50 mil to get league and Cup double 🤣

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Gates look magnificent - wonder if we'll use that crest on the kits this season with the 150 years? Would make sense & would look phenomenal imo.

I agree - those gates haven’t been put up in isolation.

The Treasurer
11 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Do the plans include cutting out the self-inflicted underachievement?

Are you also a part time comedian 

15 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Not even beyond the 1st page. Well done.

Darkwhisky7
2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Jeez, the 70’s, too many memories of us being crap for too many years. 😒

132goals1958
4 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Not seasons I remember Dave, but from the guys who stuck with it through some tough times in the 1970s it didn't sound like much fun. 

Grim was an understatement 

Italian Lambretta
1 hour ago, part_time_jambo said:

It’s a myth it never happened 😀

1 hour ago, part_time_jambo said:

The Richards will love this post.

4 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

I was going to suggest if the ‘festival of football’ or friendlies might involve clubs who existed in 1874?

Villa, Bolton, Greenock Morton,  Any others?

4 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

I wonder if we’ll do an all white strip or go for the red, white & blue horizontal stripes?

I'd wear something maroon, but, y'know.....

periodictabledancer
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Killie, Notts Co , Reading , Stoke.

Feel the glamour.

2 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Killie, Notts Co , Reading , Stoke.

Feel the glamour.

Indeed.  :eek:

5 hours ago, boag1874 said:

I hope so, it looks fantastic. 

Portable Badger
9 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Notts County, Stoke City, Notts Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, etc were prior to us.

Dumbarton & Hamilton were 1874 as well I think.