150th Anniversary Plans Announced.

been here before

The Maroon Mile. Sounds great. I've always thought Gorgie and probably Dalry should be more maroon. Make the area proper Hearts. Even if its scarves, flags and banners on street lamps/fixings would just be cool. Can we not start this ourselves.? Start getting maroon up everywhere?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Fxxx the SPFL

• queensferryjambo

5 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

And to be fair to Hibs (not that anyone on here wants to be) if they were to complain, there is nothing stopping them pushing with the council to do the same for Easter Road.

Tenner bags hanging from the lamp posts.

rudi must stay
15 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

I always knew we were waiting for the perfect moment, to announce we are filling in the corners😂🇱🇻

No need to knock down the floodlights put a few seats in them. Space for 4 more seats

13 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I agree - those gates haven’t been put up in isolation.

Flag with it on over Tynecastle 

Jambo Buckets
On 26/05/2023 at 15:02, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Sounds excellent.

We need the investment of time, energy and enthusiasm to be matched on the football aside of things.

I also see Rangers and Celtic already announcing high profile pre-season friendlies/ I know some of our fans are jaundiced about this but we will play pre-season friendlies no matter what.

I’d rather we faced Newcastle and I don’t know Valencia (or Bayern…👀) for example at home than Crawley Town and Stoke.

Hopefully we can do bigger than Newcastle, it doesn’t exactly get the juices flowing. Dunfermline have got a friendly with St Pauli this summer. Would be great if we could play a big European team like Marseille, Lyon, Athletic Bilbao, Torino, Feyenoord or someone like that.

davemclaren
On 28/05/2023 at 10:40, Jingle Bells said:

Hope it turns out to be better than Old Bill Lindsay's centenary effort.

Spurs?

On 26/05/2023 at 21:54, zeke1874 said:

The Maroon Mile. Sounds great. I've always thought Gorgie and probably Dalry should be more maroon. Make the area proper Hearts. Even if its scarves, flags and banners on street lamps/fixings would just be cool. Can we not start this ourselves.? Start getting maroon up everywhere?

Like the idea of this too. I think its good marketing and plants a flag (literally) that this is our area. It always annoyed me growing up with mates that are OF fans, despite being from Edinburgh and their parents also being from Edinburgh - like support your local team ya glory hunting bawbag!! :D Whatever the club can do to ensure its driving youngsters towards supporting Hearts can only be a good thing - and doing whatever we can to make Hearts more visible within Edinburgh is a great move that will hopefully support that. 

5 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Sorry to sound so thick, but why is it  that 23/24 season is our anniversary and not 24/25? 🤯

It’s a bit like Hogmanay, you wouldn’t celebrate that half way through the year ie 30th of June / 1st July!

1874 +150 years so celebrate on 1st January 2024 just enjoy 12 months of celebrations, 6 months before and 6 months after…

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Spurs?

I met my wife (to be) that evening after the Spurs match…. she’s turned out ok!

The Centenary Rally at the Usher Hall was rather grim - “Lindsay OUT”!!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I met my wife (to be) that evening …. she’s turned out ok!

Bill Lyndsay wasn't all bad then. 😄

5 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

It’s a bit like Hogmanay, you wouldn’t celebrate that half way through the year ie 30th of June / 1st July!

1874 +150 years so celebrate on 1st January 2024 just enjoy 12 months of celebrations, 6 months before and 6 months after…

👍

hmfc4life1991
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Lets celebrate by making the conference groups this season and the Europa groups next season 

Next season it turns into a 36 team league phase. Will be more difficult to get into as there won't be a guaranteed group place for 3rd place/Scottish Cup winners as far as I'm aware. 

Edited by hmfc4life1991

10 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Your first sentence contradicts your second one. 

What you're saying is that it's nothing like Hogmanay. 

11 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Sorry to sound so thick, but why is it  that 23/24 season is our anniversary and not 24/25? 🤯

Were there football seasons per se when the club first started?  I figured they played informally when they started out, so I think we turn 150 in 2024.  

davemclaren
2 hours ago, naeclue said:

Were there football seasons per se when the club first started?  I figured they played informally when they started out, so I think we turn 150 in 2024.  

1874 is the first evidenced mention of Hearts in a newspaper report so that's the year now adopted. Previously, 1873 was assumed and that might be right. 

David McCaig
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

1874 is the first evidenced mention of Hearts in a newspaper report so that's the year now adopted. Previously, 1873 was assumed and that might be right. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that Hearts played their first ever match on 16 October 1874 which sticks in my mind as I was born on 16 October 1974!!

Tommy Brown
On 26/05/2023 at 15:34, davemclaren said:

Should manage to be better than 1973/74 and 1974/75 I hope. 

73/74 wasn't bad, went a bit indifferent.started like a train, 4-1 v the vermin, 3-0 at Ibrox. 

New starlets in Prentice, Stevenson and Cant.

New signings Aird Busby.

Knocking Everton out of the Texaco Cup. (Horsed by Burnley next round though)

Cup run the the SF, losing to DU in a replay when ahead in both was sore.

Finished 6th, not sure where the season went out of shape though.

OF were strong and Hibs got 2nd.

Aberdeen and Dundee 4th and 5th.

My first season ticket as an 11yo.

Lots of memories.

Wilson Wood, Would You?
On 26/05/2023 at 16:26, The Treasurer said:

Just the mention of those seasons sends a chiver down my spine. 

Martin? 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Wilson Wood, Would You? said:

Martin? 

After I posted that I wondered if someone would pick up my error. 

Thought I'd got away with it, cheers 😕

2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that Hearts played their first ever match on 16 October 1874 which sticks in my mind as I was born on 16 October 1974!!

So all I need now is your address and bank details, and I’ll check for you.

davemclaren
46 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I never noticed it. 🥸

Wilson Wood, Would You?
1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Sadly there's always got to be  (at least) one smart-ass. Sorry  👍

Edited by Wilson Wood, Would You?
typo

David McCaig
1 hour ago, sac said:

So all I need now is your address and bank details, and I’ll check for you.

No worries, I'll send you my security code as well...lol 

maroonsgotop
On 27/05/2023 at 21:55, Jambo Buckets said:

Hopefully we can do bigger than Newcastle, it doesn’t exactly get the juices flowing. Dunfermline have got a friendly with St Pauli this summer. Would be great if we could play a big European team like Marseille, Lyon, Athletic Bilbao, Torino, Feyenoord or someone like that.

Fiorintina maybe ?

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

You're lucky with "Martin". You might have ended up in a real Jam instead.

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I am sure when I was a kid in the sixties, one of my first shirts/tracksuits had 1873 on the badge. 

davemclaren
6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

6 hours ago, David McCaig said:

3 minutes ago, Canscot said:

I am sure when I was a kid in the sixties, one of my first shirts/tracksuits had 1873 on the badge. 

@Hearts Heritage might be able to clarify?

On 26/05/2023 at 14:44, The Hogfather said:

Would imagine we’ll be doing a special kit this year too. 

The club crest will almost certainly be what is on the wheatfield gates.

Love it.

Hopefully we're in for a belter of a kit.

On 27/05/2023 at 21:55, Jambo Buckets said:

Where about is this game ? If its at East End park there will be a fair few thousand in the away end as there's a lot of the Manky Mob that stay over there. A joint venture from the Cowdenbeath Republicans and the Inverkeithing 'Divit' Hibs will boost their support. 

I'm sure Heart of Midlothian could attract someone more classy and stylish. 

Jingle Bells
22 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Spurs?

Wasnae allowed to go so must have been a school night or I was in the doghoose. 

I remember it being pish with Old Bill raising a flag accompanied by some bagpipes and then the players kicking some footballs into the shed.

I didn't get one.

5 hours ago, David McCaig said:

No worries, I'll send you my security code as well...lol 

It's 1874 isn't it? :lol:

3 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

The club crest will almost certainly be what is on the wheatfield gates.

Love it.

Hopefully we're in for a belter of a kit.

Apparently not. The “wreath” will not be on the kit. 

Tommy Brown
5 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

Wasnae allowed to go so must have been a school night or I was in the doghoose. 

I remember it being pish with Old Bill raising a flag accompanied by some bagpipes and then the players kicking some footballs into the shed.

I didn't get one.

That was the Spurs game, Saturday afternoon. 

9 hours ago, c41rns said:

Apparently not. The “wreath” will not be on the kit. 

That's a shame, it would look fantastic.

Hearts Heritage
16 hours ago, davemclaren said:

@Hearts Heritage might be able to clarify?

There was a big debate that took place 100 years ago around the time of the Club’s Jubilee.

The club was ‘founded’ by the lads going to the ‘Heart of Midlothian Quadrille Assembly Club’.

Tom Purdie wanted to define the date as 1873 and others went for 1874.

We don’t have any definitive evidence to place the founding date in 1873 or 1874.

There isn’t a ‘founding’ document that states the club was formed on this date in 187x.

We haven’t found any contemporary newspaper reports to show the club playing prior to August 1875 because ‘Association’ went virtually unreported in the Edinburgh papers in 1873 and 1874.

What we do know definitively is

The first game of ‘Association’ was demonstrated in Edinburgh on Sat 27 Dec 1873. Mr Gardner’s XI v Mr Thomson’s XI at Raime’s Park in Bonnington.

First recorded Hearts game was on Sat 28 Aug 1875
Hearts 0 Third Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers 2

Hearts were members of the SFA in 1875 entering the Scottish Cup on 16 Oct 1875.

We now think they were playing a form of rugby in 1873 on the Meadows switching to 'association' in 1874. Hence the date of 1874 as the formation of the 'Association' club.

We also think that Albert Mackie quoting John Cochrane in his book gets the chronology wrong, regarding the Hearts players joining St Andrews which happened in 1876 not 1874.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Hearts Heritage said:

There was a big debate that took place 100 years ago around the time of the Club’s Jubilee.

The club was ‘founded’ by the lads going to the ‘Heart of Midlothian Quadrille Assembly Club’.

Tom Purdie wanted to define the date as 1873 and others went for 1874.

We don’t have any definitive evidence to place the founding date in 1873 or 1874.

There isn’t a ‘founding’ document that states the club was formed on this date in 187x.

We haven’t found any contemporary newspaper reports to show the club playing prior to August 1875 because ‘Association’ went virtually unreported in the Edinburgh papers in 1873 and 1874.

What we do know definitively is

The first game of ‘Association’ was demonstrated in Edinburgh on Sat 27 Dec 1873. Mr Gardner’s XI v Mr Thomson’s XI at Raime’s Park in Bonnington.

First recorded Hearts game was on Sat 28 Aug 1875
Hearts 0 Third Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers 2

Hearts were members of the SFA in 1875 entering the Scottish Cup on 16 Oct 1875.

We now think they were playing a form of rugby in 1873 on the Meadows switching to 'association' in 1874. Hence the date of 1874 as the formation of the 'Association' club.

We also think that Albert Mackie quoting John Cochrane in his book gets the chronology wrong, regarding the Hearts players joining St Andrews which happened in 1876 not 1874.

Thanks for that. 

Jingle Bells
17 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

That was the Spurs game, Saturday afternoon. 

Thanks, I can't remember the game at all, so imagine it wasn't that great 

• 10 months later...
John Findlay
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

I thought it was Airdrie for a second.

brownkg

Leyton Orient are proud to unveil a limited-edition Somme memorial shirt to commemorate the club’s contribution in the Great War.

The shirt is a replica of the Clapton Orient kit at the time of the outbreak of the First World War.

The limited-edition shirt will be worn for one fixture only; when Orient travel to Edinburgh to face Heart of Midlothian for a special pre-season friendly on Saturday 13th July 2024.

A small number of shirts will be made available for purchase by supporters, with each shirt being wrapped in a commemorative box and coming with a certificate of authenticity.

The shirt is priced at £74.99 and is available to pre-order now in adult sizes small to 5XL. Click here to pre-order your shirt.

Leyton Orient CEO Mark Devlin said: “We are very proud of this piece of history at Leyton Orient, which is unique in the English game. We are delighted to be taking part in a fixture at Hearts in July to commemorate the bond between the two clubs and to be wearing a limited-edition remake of the club's kit from 1914.

"Only 1,000 shirts have been produced in total meaning that it represents a special piece of Orient and football history, and it will only ever be worn for the Hearts game.

"I would like to thank Steve Jenkins, Alex Hup, Peter Kitchen and Malcolm McCarthy from the O's Somme Memorial Fund for their advice and guidance with the shirt and the wider event. I'd also like to thank our existing shirt sponsors for kindly waiving their logos on this special shirt, so that it can look as close as possible to the original."

Speaking in November 2023, OSMF Chairman Steve Jenkins, said: "It's fantastic that Hearts and Leyton Orient are playing each other in a special match to acknowledge and commemorate the service and sacrifice made by both clubs in the Great War, and to see the O's proudly playing in their iconic red chevron shirts will undoubtedly add to the occasion.

"The O's Somme Memorial Fund Committee wishes to thank Leyton Orient for ensuring the Clapton Orient kit of 1914 is replicated for this historic and proud fixture."

The O's were represented at the unveiling of the plaque with the historic picture of the Hearts player and blackie the cat by Steve Jenkins in 2012. His book "the took the lead" tells the story of the English equivalent of  McCrae's Battalion. Both organisations are good friends and are delighted that the friendly is going ahead in July.

full story :-
https://www.leytonorient.com/news/2024/april/11/o-s-unveil-limited-edition-somme-memorial-shirt/

davemclaren
31 minutes ago, brownkg said:

All about timing eh:mellow:

You need to type a bit faster. Merged. 😄