Scam calls

JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy

I think I just had one . It was an Edinburgh number claiming to be from IPSO ( research ) regarding my bank . She sounded very genuine , polite etc . She said it was related to my bank . She then asked if I had a personal account with the bank ? I told her I was ending the Call . I did . It just seemed odd that she would ask this and I just wondered what more details she wanted . I would assume the bank would contact me via email first to advise me that “ researchers “ may contact ? Or am im  being para? I wasn’t rude to her . Just told her I didn’t want to continue . 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Ulysses

• Marvin

• henrysmithsgloves

I give scam callers dummy information. For example, if they want Teamviewer info I give them details from Google images :laugh: It drives them nuts. Great fun. Same with that accident you had recently calls. I tell them in great detail how I got run over on Ardmillan Terrace... back in 1996. Or I ask if my claim is affected if it was discovered I was under the influence of alcohol and ecstasy at the time of the accident. They slam the phone down after I've wasted their time for a short period of questions relating to what happened. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I give scam callers dummy information. For example, if they want Teamviewer info I give them details from Google images :laugh: It drives them nuts. Great fun. Same with that accident you had recently calls. I tell them in great detail how I got run over on Ardmillan Terrace... back in 1996. Or I ask if my claim is affected if it was discovered I was under the influence of alcohol and ecstasy at the time of the accident. They slam the phone down after I've wasted their time for a short period of questions relating to what happened. 

Good one 👍👍

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I think I just had one . It was an Edinburgh number claiming to be from IPSO ( research ) regarding my bank . She sounded very genuine , polite etc . She said it was related to my bank . She then asked if I had a personal account with the bank ? I told her I was ending the Call . I did . It just seemed odd that she would ask this and I just wondered what more details she wanted . I would assume the bank would contact me via email first to advise me that “ researchers “ may contact ? Or am im  being para? I wasn’t rude to her . Just told her I didn’t want to continue . 

Better safe than sorry. 

I'm very suspicious of so called market research. 

So many feckin chancers about these days. 

The Jazz Emu

I always politely decline their advances.

There is no need to abuse or take the Mickey out of these people who, let’s face it, are just doing a job like the rest of us.

14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I did have one of those ‘accident’ ones a few weeks ago. Just kept turning the tables and pretending I thought they’d had an accident. “Oh, so sorry!” “Hope you’re feeling better pal”. Indian accent guy got angry., swore and hung up :)   

Was his name Steve? 🤣🤣🤣

JudyJudyJudy
38 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Better safe than sorry. 

I'm very suspicious of so called market research. 

So many feckin chancers about these days. 

Yes why would she ask if I had a personal account with the bank ? Surely she would know that if she was calling on behalf of the bank? 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy
25 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I worked in their call centre 20 years ago while a student and some of the surveys we conducted did ask for personal stuff like that without going into account details etc. 

Just politely decline. If they’re genuine then they’ll understand. If they’re scammers they’ll move onto someone else. 

I did have one of those ‘accident’ ones a few weeks ago. Just kept turning the tables and pretending I thought they’d had an accident. “Oh, so sorry!” “Hope you’re feeling better pal”. Indian accent guy got angry., swore and hung up :)   

Yes I politely declined , it’s good to have a suspicious , cynical nature at times . 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Just don't answer the phone to numbers you don't know.

I usually do that but it was an Edinburgh number so seemed legit ?

JudyJudyJudy

You would think that the bank would email customers informing them of the callers before hand ? 

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

For "recent accident" ones I sometimes end it straight away or if feeling a bit cheeky I'll lead them along a bit (2/3mins max) before saying how great it is they can help even though I tested positive on the breath test at the scene... They usually hang up on me at that point. 

Don't get as many anymore though as we call screen the house phone (if it's important they'll leave a message) and if it comes up private number on my mobile I'll ignore it.

I also Google the number after theyvehung up if it isn't private, 9/10 times it'll have been reported as a scam. 

hmfc_liam06
36 minutes ago, C Moon said:

There is no need to abuse or take the Mickey out of these people who, let’s face it, are just doing a job like the rest of us.

Scammers are just doing their jobs? Good one.

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I trust no one these days, you did the correct procedure, tell them nothing.

I often have to make outbound phone calls to customers, but we obviously can't disclose sensitive information until we've confirmed it's them. As scam calls have become more common, it's made my job a lot harder. **** them.

If you are ever unsure just take their name and say you'll call the head office of the bank to verify. If they're legit they'll call back after you've done your checks.

Chances are they'll hang up

49 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I usually do that but it was an Edinburgh number so seemed legit ?

It would probably have been IPSOS, who've got an office on Wemyss Place. A legit company who I've had dealings with before.

What seems off, is the bank handing out your phone number without permission. Did they ask for you by name? Just wondering how much info the bank gave them. I'd be complaining to the bank. About asking if you had a personal acount with the bank, perhaps that was as opposed to a business account? In which case, at least the bank didn't tell them that.

Dennis Reynolds

Also worked at IPSOS mori a while back whilst a skint high schooler. Absolutely soul destroying work but a decent wedge at the end of the week. Always remember doing surveys about court cases people were in which looking back was pretty personal. Sure it was market research for the CPS. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Scammers are just doing their jobs? Good one.

I know 😂😂😂

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I trust no one these days, you did the correct procedure, tell them nothing.

I’ve always been like that ! 😂😎

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Meathook said:

It would probably have been IPSOS, who've got an office on Wemyss Place. A legit company who I've had dealings with before.

What seems off, is the bank handing out your phone number without permission. Did they ask for you by name? Just wondering how much info the bank gave them. I'd be complaining to the bank. About asking if you had a personal acount with the bank, perhaps that was as opposed to a business account? In which case, at least the bank didn't tell them that.

Just checked the number . It was IPSOS . Still felt odd though so no regret about ending the call . They did ask for me by name , but again that can be easily done if fraudsters . 

Jambo-Jimbo

When you answer just say 'Hello you are through to the fraud squad, how can I help you', that'll sort out the scammers.

4 hours ago, C Moon said:

Not if they are trying to get your bank details. Scammers can go feck themselves and I always them exactly that!!!

Dagger Is Back
8 hours ago, C Moon said:

🤣

What next? Burglars are just trying to make a living? 

Scammers will get told to ‘get tae’ as they deserve. 

Auld Reekin'
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Just don't answer the phone to numbers you don't know.

:icon14:  I never do. If it's a genuine call, they'll leave a voicemail message, if it isn't they won't.

18 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

For "recent accident" ones I sometimes end it straight away or if feeling a bit cheeky I'll lead them along a bit (2/3mins max) before saying how great it is they can help even though I tested positive on the breath test at the scene... They usually hang up on me at that point. 

Don't get as many anymore though as we call screen the house phone (if it's important they'll leave a message) and if it comes up private number on my mobile I'll ignore it.

I also Google the number after theyvehung up if it isn't private, 9/10 times it'll have been reported as a scam. 

I've blocked loads on my mobile. It flashes up "potential spam (dodgy)". 

10 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

🤣

What next? Burglars are just trying to make a living? 

Scammers will get told to ‘get tae’ as they deserve. 

Sometimes its an unfortunate man or not so often a woman who is only there to make a living. I am always polite even when giving them the run around. End of the day its still a person at end of the line. But if they get shitty with me then I am not so nice.

Dagger Is Back
11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Sometimes its an unfortunate man or not so often a woman who is only there to make a living. I am always polite even when giving them the run around. End of the day its still a person at end of the line. But if they get shitty with me then I am not so nice.

I hear you Marvin but the fact that their only objective is to steal from my family means they get zero patience, understanding or manners from me.

29 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I've blocked loads on my mobile. It flashes up "potential spam (dodgy)". 

My work phone used to flash up 'potential spam' for calls coming from Edinburgh social work. 🤔

John Findlay
On 27/04/2023 at 15:08, ri Alban said:

My bank never calls me.

Well stop ****ing robbing them.

feedtheroman2

Used to be a legit company called network research based in dundas Street that used a dialling system to call customers of various banks and would genuinely just be trying to score the satisfaction of customer service, cleanliness, speediness of their recent visit to their local branch. 

On 27/04/2023 at 15:20, Locky said:

I often have to make outbound phone calls to customers, but we obviously can't disclose sensitive information until we've confirmed it's them. As scam calls have become more common, it's made my job a lot harder. **** them.

I found that in my last job. I had to ask personal questions to verify it's the person I'm talking to. 

Pepe le pew

Told one I worked in a pet shop every couple of seconds started making different animal sounds they hung up when they heard a roar

If I get one of the 'accident that wasn't your fault calls' I say I had a head injury. They then get very interested so I follow up with ' well I think it must have been a head injury because I can't remember anything about it ' the line usually goes dead at that point.

5 hours ago, Pepe le pew said:

Told one I worked in a pet shop every couple of seconds started making different animal sounds they hung up when they heard a roar

1 hour ago, 1953 said:

If I get one of the 'accident that wasn't your fault calls' I say I had a head injury. They then get very interested so I follow up with ' well I think it must have been a head injury because I can't remember anything about it ' the line usually goes dead at that point.

:orly?:

5 hours ago, Pepe le pew said:

Told one I worked in a pet shop every couple of seconds started making different animal sounds they hung up when they heard a roar

You told them that you worked in a pet shop every couple of seconds?  🤷🏿‍♂️

It’s no flaming wonder that they hung up.

jack D and coke

I keep getting calls about ****ing crypto. Started getting WhatsApp messages recently too. 
People calling me Gabriel. Drives me fecking radge man. 

If I'm not expecting the call they get nothing. Elderly family friend was scammed recently, probably worth underlining for any elderly folk you know not to entertain these calls. If its important, let them send a letter you can verify. 

Pepe le pew
15 hours ago, Morgan said:

You told them that you worked in a pet shop every couple of seconds?  🤷🏿‍♂️

It’s no flaming wonder that they hung up.

Deary me get a life son ,can only apologise for being a working class oxgangs scumbag .it must be wonderful being you 

10 minutes ago, Pepe le pew said:

Deary me get a life son ,can only apologise for being a working class oxgangs scumbag .it must be wonderful being you 

There’s no need to take the pet at a gentle ribbing, Pepe.  

It was posted in jest with no malice aforethought.

It is pretty good being me though.  👌

JudyJudyJudy
14 hours ago, OTT said:

If I'm not expecting the call they get nothing. Elderly family friend was scammed recently, probably worth underlining for any elderly folk you know not to entertain these calls. If its important, let them send a letter you can verify. 

Yes that was what I was suggesting. Surely banks should let their customers know that there may be a call from their research teams ?  As you rightly state its older adults who often fall for those scams.  Glad im a wideo :) 

‘Can I speak to Mrs Brown please’

’No sorry she died this morning’

’Sorry to hear that. Is this Mr Brown ?’

’No, Mr Brown is in custody for killing Mrs Brown, I’m DCI Reynolds, who is this please ?’

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I have a similar policy. I don’t phone anyone unless I know the number. 

You'd be a shite scammer. 

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

True. Can’t do an Indian accent, either. 

The Indian accent tends to give it away, I reckon you'd be more successful using a Scottish one. 

• 1 month later...
JudyJudyJudy

I got a rather odd text this morning

” Hi, I'm Na Rin Lee.Nice to see you here.
I am 28 years old and single. I like men with good manners.
I'm looking for a long-term relationship. I want to find my soul mate here.
My Whatsapp is ( I deleted this part ) 
We can share our daily life together and get to know each other better.”

Must think I’m daft  Next he will be wanting money to help medical bills for his “ sick mother” . 

It’s creepy how he / she / they have my number though 

IMG_2791.gif

IMG_3083.gif

il Duce McTarkin
On 30/04/2023 at 13:05, Pepe le pew said:

a working class oxgangs scumbag

We need more Oxgangs scumbags imo.