The Ashes 2023

ri Alban

25 minutes ago, RobboM said:

That was brilliant tbf 😂

And Nathan Lyon dropping the ball for an easy run out. Australia just before went for a very stupid review too. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• RobboM

2 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Phenomenal bowling from Woakes here.

It was a very good wicket for batting last 2 days.

It's a very different challenge now. 

14 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Good start by England.

Will they get a full day's play?

Kinda doubt it. Would be a shame to spoil a result either way. If Australia chase it they'd 100% deserve it as would England if they can bowl out the World Test champs with 4 world ranked top 10 batters

N Lincs Jambo
17 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Good start by England.

Will they get a full day's play?

Hopefully, not too bothered who wins but don’t want the weather to win.

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I can't see there being much play after lunch.

weather.thumb.jpg.68bc9b02dd7611bac37f24bcb14ecdb7.jpg

2 hours it's lasting according to Nasser. Aussies to give the it old bamboo at 4.00 chasing another 150 runs

Edited by JWL

A turning point. Stokes drops Smith. 

Possibly a bit controversial as Stokes caught it but starts to celebrate and loses control. 

Edited by Mikey1874

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Possibly a bit controversial as Stokes caught it but starts to celebrate and loses control. 

Stokes just chucked away the game I think

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Nothing controversial about it - he didn't complete the catch cos he has silly, spangly, fingers. 

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yup. Not Out for me. Similar to Starc where he surfed the ball along the grass at Lord's. Stokes hadn't completed the catch. That's so expensive a miss

Footballfirst
14 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Yup. Not Out for me. Similar to Starc where he surfed the ball along the grass at Lord's. Stokes hadn't completed the catch. That's so expensive a miss

I don't think it was similar to Starc as he had control of the ball throughout. Stokes lost control of the ball when hand hit his thigh as he regained control of his body (he had only one foot on the ground at the point of contact).   

I'm certain that Stokes was looking to throw the ball in the air to celebrate the catch. It goes back to a point I made a couple of weeks back about fielders throwing the ball in the air before demonstrating that they have full control of the ball.

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I don't think it was similar to Starc as he had control of the ball throughout. Stokes lost control of the ball when hand hit his thigh as he regained control of his body (he had only one foot on the ground at the point of contact).   

I'm certain that Stokes was looking to throw the ball in the air to celebrate the catch. It goes back to a point I made a couple of weeks back about fielders throwing the ball in the air before demonstrating that they have full control of the ball.

I meant similar more in terms of not having completed the catch. Stokes would have loosened his grip in anticipation of throwing it up so he knocked it out of his hand when he hit his thigh. Careless and Not Out ..... Bugger 🙂

17 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I meant similar more in terms of not having completed the catch. Stokes would have loosened his grip in anticipation of throwing it up so he knocked it out of his hand when he hit his thigh. Careless and Not Out ..... Bugger 🙂

It does clarify that rule on completing the catch nicely. 

Malinga the Swinga

Forecast to get lot better in late afternoon/early evening and they may be able to play till about 7 or later.

Would guess Australia play normally for first hour and then if they need 100 odd with 7 wickets left, go for it. If they lose a wicket or two, then they'll shut up shop.

England need win so they have to attack as 3-1 or 2-1, doesn't really matter.

Footballfirst

Changing the ball is something else that needs looked at. England was chirping away at the umpires every four or five overs yesterday before it was eventually changed late on for one that was harder, shinier and swung more.

The test of the ball passing through a ring is just nonsense. It could easily have been hit slightly out of shape by a millimetre or two so that it doesn't pass through the rings. A ball that is 30 / 50 / 70 overs old should be showing serious signs of wear, with scuffs, scrapes and the leather having gone soft. If the ball is out of shape, then it should favour the bowler in any event. The ball should only be changed if it is seriously damaged, e.g. the seam has split.

And off we go again. They reckon there are about 4 hours of play left, light permitting. 52 overs. 

Edited by Sooperstar

34 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

And off we go again. They reckon there are about 4 hours of play left, light permitting. 52 overs. 

2.67 runs an over needed

I was just saying the bowling attack was all wrong for this game. 

Though I would have dropped Broad and Anderson who don't have a wicket this innings..

I was just saying the bowling attack was all wrong for this game. 

Though I would have dropped Broad and Anderson who don't have a wicket this innings..

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Mitch Marsh walked

Fair dues, though England still had 1 review left having burnt the other 2

periodictabledancer

A few people are messaging us asking how long we can go on for.

There are a minimum of 20 overs left.

The final hour will start when there are 15 overs left. England can bowl more than 15 in that hour if they are quick.

There's no scheduled end time on the final day, as long as the weather and light holds out.

Its been a whirlwind.

Both sides have a lot to improve. But credit due for such a close series. Only that last test did anyone dominate. Ironic it was the draw.

But it's a fair result 2-2. 

Brilliant series
Vindication for Bazball in this Test. England's batting effectively added 2 extra sessions in a rain affected match.
It's a tough ask for a touring team playing 5 tests so close to each other especially throwing in the World Test championship match v India

On 29/07/2023 at 17:45, Malinga the Swinga said:

No idea why England still batting other than to try and get fat boy a century.

Forecast garbage over next 3 days so you'd think they would want a bowl.

Hoping they get Australia down to 9 wickets before play is abandoned.

Haven't learned a thing from last test

:sweeet: