Dundee United are fecked - Goodwin appointed

That thing you do

The Hogfather
2 hours ago, jbee647 said:

No thanks Queens Park with there 300 fans playing in 1500 capacity junior ground or in  50k bowl , no thank, more tinpot than Gretna and that proved to be a disaster 

Excuse me if I don’t buy into the fairytale garbage, we need our bigger clubs in the top leagues not projects that just drag it further down

Glasgow media loving it cos Willie Haughey (celllicman) is there mate

There are no big clubs in the lower leagues. They’re all tinpot. Might as well have a decent day out where we can, Dundee does not fit that bill. 

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

12 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

There are no big clubs in the lower leagues. They’re all tinpot. Might as well have a decent day out where we can, Dundee does not fit that bill. 

Yeah.

This obsession with getting clubs that were successful 20 or 30 years ago back.

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Any players there we might look to raid when they go down / bust? the lad on their left wing looked not bad at tynie shades of a younger GMS 

Levitt would be about it for me. Even then his form this season probably puts him in competition with Jorge Grant in our team. Edwards would do as a backup centre half but I think he's a so would probably prefer not.

Niskanen has had his moments but again probably doesn't get in our team ahead of Forrest or Gino. 

2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Genuinely feel sorry for him. Good Jambo. But Dundee Hibs can disappear for all I care. Wankers. 

Yes,  some  young  managers/coaches can just disappear after a few early sackings, never to get another decent job in football. 

Fox got punted early at Cowdenbeath after Levein recommended him ...... then got sidelined by Stendel at Hearts .... and only lasted 6 months as Martindale's assistant at Livi .   This latest disaster at United may well spell the end of his coaching career  at this level.

He might have to make do trying to get a job at the likes of East Fife or Alloa now.   Bit of a shame for the guy.   

12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Levitt would be about it for me. Even then his form this season probably puts him in competition with Jorge Grant in our team. Edwards would do as a backup centre half but I think he's a so would probably prefer not.

Niskanen has had his moments but again probably doesn't get in our team ahead of Forrest or Gino. 

Glenn Middleton is the only one apart from Levitt that I'd  consider. On his day, he can be a matchwinner.  Still only 22.   Had a great reputation as a Rangers fringe player 4 or 5  years ago, but doesn't seem to settle anywhere he's been since.  

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Jamie MGrath is on loan from  Wigan. Maybe we can do a deal along with Humphreys.

Niskanen was decent last game. Levitt obviously. Rory McLeod a decent youngster.

United fans don't seem to rate Niskanen much, and Levitt too TBH, I think he's been getting a bit of stick from them.

I feel sorry for any manager when the fans turn on him because the level of the personal abuse would affect anyone's mental health as with Graham Potter at Chelsea. You certainly need a thick skin and total belief in yourself to survive. Good luck in the future Liam. 

Naisys Tackle
3 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Never really had a problem with Dundee Utd. 

Decent sized club with a brilliant history in the 80s. 

Get you mate.  Hope you are good. 

18 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

I'd rather have Partick Thistle and Falkirk back. 

9 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

If we’re talking promotion, Queens Park are the clear choice. A day out in Glasgow without having to deal with the Old Firm and their shite sounds alright. 

Agree with this. I'd take Ayr as well. Would be fine with Partick too.

8 hours ago, jbee647 said:

No thanks Queens Park with there 300 fans playing in 1500 capacity junior ground or in  50k bowl , no thank, more tinpot than Gretna and that proved to be a disaster 

Excuse me if I don’t buy into the fairytale garbage, we need our bigger clubs in the top leagues not projects that just drag it further down

Glasgow media loving it cos Willie Haughey (celllicman) is there mate

They currently play in front of 300 fans because they're playing in Stenny. They haven't seen the top flight since going professional. I'd like to see what they can do if they lease big Hampden.

queensferryjambo
9 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Their late 70s and 1980s history is great, but surely that is where Dundee United struggle as their fans have generally suffered for 70 years before the 80s and aside from the Scottish Cup win in 2010 they have been generally rank since the mid 90s. 

You can understand why their fans are so pissed off with them doing so badly for so long, especially the ones who remember when they were an excellent side. 

12 hours ago, OTT said:

I don't think there is much evidence of either being capable of being run sustainably :D Dundee is a major city in Scotland and to have both of their clubs almost incapable of even staying in the top flight is pretty disappointing. 

I'm not going to argue the point, as I said in my OP, Its a decision for their fans, and if they're happy then so be it. 

Dundee United to my knowledge, have never previously been, in any significant financial difficulty. Even the current rumours are based largely on speculation.

Dundee have had quite a few eccentric (to say the least) since the early 90s, but for the vast majority of their history were much the same as any other moderately sized Scottish club.

If combining them were to create say a club capable of consistently attracting 25 to 30k fans, which would of course displace Hearts in the Scottish football hierarchy, it might be worth a merger. More likely however it would lead to a club bigger than Kilmarnock but not as big as Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. What would have been achieved through doing that? 

10 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Dundee United to my knowledge, have never previously been, in any significant financial difficulty. Even the current rumours are based largely on speculation.

Dundee have had quite a few eccentric (to say the least) since the early 90s, but for the vast majority of their history were much the same as any other moderately sized Scottish club.

If combining them were to create say a club capable of consistently attracting 25 to 30k fans, which would of course displace Hearts in the Scottish football hierarchy, it might be worth a merger. More likely however it would lead to a club bigger than Kilmarnock but not as big as Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. What would have been achieved through doing that? 

a combined Dundee side would never get near 20-25,000

I would be amazed if they got even half that (and that’s assuming their supports wouldn’t oppose it which they would).

For me it looks like both clubs may be in the championship next season. I would prefer Utd to stay up over the likes of Kilmarnock or Ross County though 

9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Glenn Middleton is the only one apart from Levitt that I'd  consider. On his day, he can be a matchwinner.  Still only 22.   Had a great reputation as a Rangers fringe player 4 or 5  years ago, but doesn't seem to settle anywhere he's been since.  

He's looked alright at times aye but not really one for me; again I don't think he's any better than our regular squad players and that we'll need to look outside the SPL for some upgrades. 

13 hours ago, Deevers said:

+ the fact that Dundee is an absolute dungheap.  

I get the hatred for Dundee and St Midden but look past that and we want the bigger clubs in the league. I agree their ground isn't up too much atm.

11 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

a combined Dundee side would never get near 20-25,000

I would be amazed if they got even half that (and that’s assuming their supports wouldn’t oppose it which they would).

For me it looks like both clubs may be in the championship next season. I would prefer Utd to stay up over the likes of Kilmarnock or Ross County though 

Not a chance. Half that if they're lucky, as you say. A refurbished Tannadice would be more than suitable but its in such a shite location its unlikely to make much difference, and selling up and moving elsewhere will be too costly because even if they sold both grounds, the land is in the middle of a horrible area and is worth absolutely nothing. 

The big redevelopment down the Waterfront would have been a fantastic opportunity for them to plonk a new shared stadium if they had the money. Train station, pubs, transport links and motorway access all a couple of minutes walk away rather than half an hour-plus now. 

4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Agree with this. I'd take Ayr as well. Would be fine with Partick too.

They currently play in front of 300 fans because they're playing in Stenny. They haven't seen the top flight since going professional. I'd like to see what they can do if they lease big Hampden.

Thought they flogged the big Hampden to the SFA a couple of years back?

13 minutes ago, JoeHarper said:

I get the hatred for Dundee and St Midden but look past that and we want the bigger clubs in the league. I agree their ground isn't up too much atm.

I want to see a league made up of teams that are there on merit and that are financially sound.  Dundee fail in that respect on both counts.  Their owner epitomises the feckless behaviour of some foreign owners. His behaviour towards us when we were kicked out of the top league was nothing short of disgraceful.  Like most Hearts supporters we have long memories.  I suspect that you are not one of us.

19 minutes ago, JoeHarper said:

So you would have supported the newco Rangers being parachuted straight in to the Premiership then 

1 minute ago, Deevers said:

I want to see a league made up of teams that are there on merit and that are financially sound.  Dundee fail in that respect on both counts.  Their owner epitomises the feckless behaviour of some foreign owners. His behaviour towards us when we were kicked out of the top league was nothing short of disgraceful.  Like most Hearts supporters we have long memories.  I suspect that you are not one of us.

Exactly 

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Has Levitt not scored 5 this season during a ****show.

22 yrs old internationalist.

Worth a punt if price is right. He wont be staying if they go down.

4 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

It's certain that a talented player could be at the wrong club at the wrong time.  Not seen much of Levitt but could be the case.

DIdn't Andy Robertson go to Liverpool from Hull after they were relegated. 

Good recruitment picks out the diamonds in the rough.  We'll never likely be in for a guy flying in a succesful team so anyone sticking nose up at bringing in a DUtd player should trust our scouts imo.

That's not me saying we are or should be in for anyone just that league position and even form not the most important things

The Old Tolbooth
25 minutes ago, Deevers said:

My thoughts exactly, the username gives it away really, a username who played for Aberdeen and Hibs, and as for Dundee, the sooner that lot die, the better! 

28 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I'm definitely not one of you my friend. No point in holding grudges I say, what better way to get your own back than on the park though?

30 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So you would have supported the newco Rangers being parachuted straight in to the Premiership then 

Exactly 

Demoting Rangers only gave the other erse cheek carte blanche to win everything, the league in particular. I would have dished out other sanctions.

RustyRightPeg
31 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I was very vocal about going for Levitt in pre season. He’s a terrific player lost in a United team that doesn’t know it’s arse from its elbow.

I’ve absolutely no idea how they got him. 

1 hour ago, JoeHarper said:

Just as well we have Celtic and Rangers then if you want the 'bigger clubs'.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

I agree, if Scotland's fourth biggest city can't support two clubs we should just have a top flight of 6 clubs.  Dundee and Dundee UTD are traditionally the 6th and 7th best supported teams in Scotland.  

38 minutes ago, JoeHarper said:

I'm definitely not one of you my friend. No point in holding grudges I say, what better way to get your own back than on the park though?

That ☝️ being the wet dream of the deluded Hibby.

Percival King
14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I agree, if Scotland's fourth biggest city can't support two clubs we should just have a top flight of 6 clubs.  Dundee and Dundee UTD are traditionally the 6th and 7th best supported teams in Scotland.  

Teams tend to find their level over time and success is perhaps performing above that and failure is the opposite. For me, there's a place in Scottish football for all the existing clubs, even small clubs with small crowds, as long as we have a proper pyramid that rewards success and punishes failure. If there's an argument to merge the Dundee clubs then there's an argument to merge Hearts and Hibs in order to get a third team capable of (maybe, but probably not) winning the league. Can't imagine there's are many on here who would advocate that. 

Guess The Crowd
2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

I think they have been, but have managed to scrape through one way or another.

Specifically around the time Levein left - I recall him saying the bank were putting a lot of pressure on, and had the distinct impression that influenced him to take the Scotland job when it was offered.

2 minutes ago, Percival King said:

Teams tend to find their level over time and success is perhaps performing above that and failure is the opposite. For me, there's a place in Scottish football for all the existing clubs, even small clubs with small crowds, as long as we have a proper pyramid that rewards success and punishes failure. If there's an argument to merge the Dundee clubs then there's an argument to merge Hearts and Hibs in order to get a third team capable of (maybe, but probably not) winning the league. Can't imagine there's are many on here who would advocate that. 

Correct. Totally agree. 

1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Yeah he had got 4-5 goals. Seem to remember him being murder in the last two games against us and I was surprised to see that he had even played one game because I hadn't seen him on the ball. He is a ball at the feet type player though who will quickly disappear in games where they're just hoofing it end to end. I'd definitely take a chance on him for the right money but currently he doesn't just stroll into our team. Far from it. Like I say above he would probably sit somewhere near Grant in the pecking order until he showed a bit more. 

12 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Neither did I until all that fannying about with our demotion and their reluctance for even the option of league reconstruction.

6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah he had got 4-5 goals. Seem to remember him being murder in the last two games against us and I was surprised to see that he had even played one game because I hadn't seen him on the ball. He is a ball at the feet type player though who will quickly disappear in games where they're just hoofing it end to end. I'd definitely take a chance on him for the right money but currently he doesn't just stroll into our team. Far from it. Like I say above he would probably sit somewhere near Grant in the pecking order until he showed a bit more. 

Watched the Ross County game in full on Saturday and he was anonymous.

Got hooked at half time.

Might be worth a punt, but I wouldn't be breaking the bank for him based on this season's form.

McGrath might be a better proposition, but he's not Utd's to let go.

Tayside Jambo
15 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

If we’re talking promotion, Queens Park are the clear choice. A day out in Glasgow without having to deal with the Old Firm and their shite sounds alright. 

Stenhousemuir.... 😬

Obviously until lesser Hampden (Hamdump) is finished

Dundee are the corrupt, lying ***** that caused our expulsion from the top league during Covid times. Dundee United fans had a charity walk to keep it that way. Queens Park have won the Scottish Cup more times than anyone outside the OF and have made huge strides since dumping the Amateur tag. Ross County is a great away trip.

Bearing this in mind the Kettle Bilers should be consigned to the dustbin of history. Perhaps one of the ladies teams could take the place of the men, as they did in war time.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Hes a hibs fan mate, hence the name, he’s upfront about it. 

RustyRightPeg
26 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Watched the Ross County game in full on Saturday and he was anonymous.

Got hooked at half time.

Might be worth a punt, but I wouldn't be breaking the bank for him based on this season's form.

McGrath might be a better proposition, but he's not Utd's to let go.

McGrath has been even more anonymous than Levitt. 

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

My thoughts exactly, the username gives it away really, a username who played for Aberdeen and Hibs, and as for Dundee, the sooner that lot die, the better! 

tbf the poster in question is open about being Hibs.  Was on a fair bit before last derby and while I'm not sure what he gains from being on here, is far from a troll or anything, and up for a bit of back and forth.

While he seems balanced on the whole, he still can't help being HIbs - was suggesting that their derby record was "weird" or somesuch.  Erm, we're just bigger and better and you're lucky you've had the occasional wins, boyo, was the general response!  But their logic is engrained so hard to blame the indivdual!

The Old Tolbooth
6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

tbf the poster in question is open about being Hibs.  Was on a fair bit before last derby and while I'm not sure what he gains from being on here, is far from a troll or anything, and up for a bit of back and forth.

While he seems balanced on the whole, he still can't help being HIbs - was suggesting that their derby record was "weird" or somesuch.  Erm, we're just bigger and better and you're lucky you've had the occasional wins, boyo, was the general response!  But their logic is engrained so hard to blame the indivdual!

Cheers for that mate, I didn't realise that at all, weird behaviour posting on your rivals forum imo. 

1 hour ago, JoeHarper said:

Demoting Rangers only gave the other erse cheek carte blanche to win everything, the league in particular. I would have dished out other sanctions.

They were not demoted though . They were liquidated and the new club was allowed to start a few rungs higher up the ladder than they should have been , but the original plan was to stick them straight in the SPL . That is a consequence of the idea that the biggest clubs should be in the top tier regardless of earning it on the pitch or how they go about their business

5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I think if we took any of their players it would be a punt, no more than that.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

When they have those two, Fletcher up top, Middleton, Behich etc, they really shouldn’t be bottom of the league and thats on Fox really. 

With everything going on at Dundee united, It makes me feel lucky and proud that we are secure and thriving under the fan ownership and how our club is run.

If they go down, they could disappear into the abyss for ever and i'm all for it.

• davemclaren changed the title to Dundee United are fecked - Goodwin appointed