Rowles......

Exile fae Main Street

Many years ago Hearts made Rene Moller practise using a ‘heading machine’ because although he was a reasonable finisher he was crap in the air.

Maybe it got chucked out when the old stand came down but if it’s in the vaults somewhere they could dig it out for Rowles, Sibbick, Neilson, et al.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• jambopilms

• wavydavy

• ramrod

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, Korky said:

Many years ago Hearts made Rene Moller practise using a ‘heading machine’ because although he was a reasonable finisher he was crap in the air.

Maybe it got chucked out when the old stand came down but if it’s in the vaults somewhere they could dig it out for Rowles, Sibbick, Neilson, et al.

Don't remember Moller scoring a lot of headers - we may have returned it to T K Max for our money back

Just now, scott herbertson said:

Don't remember Moller scoring a lot of headers - we may have returned it to T K Max for our money back

Maybe Alan Anderson broke it while demonstrating?

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Korky said:

Maybe Alan Anderson broke it while demonstrating?

I think they broke the mould for "dominant in the air centre half" when Alan retired - what we would have given for him on Saturday!

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, sirwalter said:

Well, he looked pretty good playing alongside the man-mountain that is Harry Souttar in a World Cup finals tournament. Could do a job as they say..

He didn’t really, I watched him more than the game and he was awful against France and continually made bad errors in the other games. Not unexpected as he was up against quality players and hes only 24. Obviously needs to bulk up but theres potential there. 

Hungry hippo

He's a good player. His form has clearly plummeted (along with the rest of the team) and his confidence has been knocked but he can play.

He'll be back showing his quality at some point although I'm not certain when.

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

I think they broke the mould for "dominant in the air centre half" when Alan retired - what we would have given for him on Saturday!

Indeed - or Eddie Thomson or Dave McPherson or Andy Webster or Marius Zaliukas

2 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

He's a good player. His form has clearly plummeted (along with the rest of the team) and his confidence has been knocked but he can play.

He'll be back showing his quality at some point although I'm not certain when.

Agreed. Some of the recent recruitment has been very poor - but Rowles is definitely one of the better signings.  Apart from a couple of 3-0s we've not taken any doings in the league this season and that's partly down to Rowles, who is IMO a solid defender. 

Watt-Zeefuik
15 hours ago, Alan_R said:

This 

With halkett back /another commanding cb alongside him. He will do just fine. A good defender for this league.

It occurred to me this morning that the most unexpectedly fateful decision of the season was when Neilson took Joe Wright on trial and then said, "nah no thanks."

Not that Wright is some kind of world beater but he's 6'4", he'd not be getting bullied off headers.

Naisys Tackle
25 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Agreed. Some of the recent recruitment has been very poor - but Rowles is definitely one of the better signings.  Apart from a couple of 3-0s we've not taken any doings in the league this season and that's partly down to Rowles, who is IMO a solid defender. 

He looked better in the WC playoff then the World Cup and that's what we are all basing the good player on.  He's actually been very poor in maroon apart from a couple of games.

LochcarronJambo
8 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

He looked better in the WC playoff then the World Cup and that's what we are all basing the good player on.  He's actually been very poor in maroon apart from a couple of games.

I agree, sadly, had high hopes but he has not been good for some time

ArcticJambo
10 hours ago, Taffin said:

Agreed. There's a lot of 'Rowles needs a commanding partner' going about...I'm with you, it's Sibbick who deserves a commanding partner for next season. 

Sibbick more likely to break the lines with the ball, better long ball passer, although I don't think either are particularly press-resistant so yes I agree, Toby has more potential imo.

2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Sibbick more likely to break the lines with the ball, better long ball passer, although I don't think either are particularly press-resistant so yes I agree, Toby has more potential imo.

A back 3 with a commanding partner in the middle would bring the best out of both and not create an either or situation. 

Think we need to go for two of those defenders defender types though. Halkett one, but need another as fitness cannot be relied on anymore IMO. 

ArcticJambo
Just now, OTT said:

A back 3 with a commanding partner in the middle would bring the best out of both and not create an either or situation. 

Think we need to go for two of those defenders defender types though. Halkett one, but need another as fitness cannot be relied on anymore IMO. 

Yes, fair enough, need options on defensive set-up afterall, and Rowles aint going anywhere with a 5yr cert sitting on his mantlepiece. I hope we can get a regular tune out of him. But also needs work on getting his head up quickly and passing accurately. Bit of a weak area for him I'd say.

colinmaroon

Rowles positioning for balls into the box is usually excellent and he clears a lot with head and foot.

He got muscled off the ball v Hibs but that's Gym/Weights work and proper coaching - he's 24 and if he builds up the bulk a bit, trains on timing tackles in our game, he can still make it.

Not a lot of pace, not slow, but not fast.  Times tackles usually well.

.Needs confidence

Needs to play alongside an Elvis type, or a fit Craig Halkett; or someone else experienced and commanding in the box.  Worked well in WC in Qatar with Big Harry.

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Rowles positioning for balls into the box is usually excellent and he clears a lot with head and foot.

He got muscled off the ball v Hibs but that's Gym/Weights work and proper coaching - he's 24 and if he builds up the bulk a bit, trains on timing tackles in our game, he can still make it.

.Needs confidence

Needs to play alongside an Elvis type, or a fit Craig Halkett; or someone else experienced and commanding in the box.  Worked well in WC in Qatar with Big Harry.

Jack Fitzwater?

He's got the highest interception stats out if any defender in the league per game 

His heading ability and being muscled off the ball is what's letting him down 

Bin Rowles and you lose what he is good at as much as gain what he isn't so good at 

He will probably know this as much as anyone given the focus on data and stats in this day and age 

A proper pre season should allow him to bulk up. Bit difficult bulking up for him right now with the games coming thick and fast 

I genuinely think he will come good but his form is poor at the moment as much as it's poor with everyone else in the team 

Edited by Hearts1975

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

He's got the highest interception stats out if any defender in the league per game 

His heading ability and being muscled off the ball is what's letting him down 

Bin Rowles and you lose what he is good at as much as gain what he isn't so good at 

He will probably know this as much as anyone given the focus on data and stats in this day and age 

A proper pre season should allow him to bulk up. Bit difficult bulking up for him right now with the games coming thick and fast 

I genuinely think he will come good but his form is poor at the moment as much as it's poor with everyone else in the team 

Yes. A lot of this feels like the "Craig Halkett is a bombscare and can't be trusted at CH" takes from a couple of years ago. And before that it was "John Souttar makes too many mistakes." And so on. (Or "Toby Sibbick just isn't good enough, nothing but a ball-watcher.")

CHs take the longest to mature of any player because mistakes there are so consequential. If he does the work this summer, he could be one of our best players next season.

7 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Yes. A lot of this feels like the "Craig Halkett is a bombscare and can't be trusted at CH" takes from a couple of years ago. And before that it was "John Souttar makes too many mistakes." And so on. (Or "Toby Sibbick just isn't good enough, nothing but a ball-watcher.")

CHs take the longest to mature of any player because mistakes there are so consequential. If he does the work this summer, he could be one of our best players next season.

Sibbick is absolutely pish.

19 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

He came from the A-League, no where near the same physicality as the Scottish league.

If he was physical and dominant and has these attributes, he wouldnt even be here.

The most important thing is that he is aware on what his deficiencies are and he can start working on bulking up and getting tougher.

Every player we sign will have faults but I would rather have them come with key attributes for their position and have things to work on that are remotely achievable. 

He is suffering at the moment, but as said, so is every single one of his team mates.

Im not buying that he has became comfortable since he signed the long term deal. Not one bit.

He is only 24 years of age, as you just alluded to, and thats comparitively young for a Centre back. 

Im definetly sticking with my original prediction ... Once we get rid of the malaise around the dressing room and start to get back to winning ways, can see him getting back to becoming a key player for us. 

Naisys Tackle
41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sibbick is absolutely pish.

As one of the posters that ripped the player before ashamedly, I was wrong.  Sibbick is one of the best players at the club. 

Naisys Tackle
23 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

He came from the A-League, no where near the same physicality as the Scottish league.

If he was physical and dominant and has these attributes, he wouldnt even be here.

The most important thing is that he is aware on what his deficiencies are and he can start working on bulking up and getting tougher.

Every player we sign will have faults but I would rather have them come with key attributes for their position and have things to work on that are remotely achievable. 

He is suffering at the moment, but as said, so is every single one of his team mates.

Im not buying that he has became comfortable since he signed the long term deal. Not one bit.

He is only 24 years of age, as you just alluded to, and thats comparitively young for a Centre back. 

Im definetly sticking with my original prediction ... Once we get rid of the malaise around the dressing room and start to get back to winning ways, can see him getting back to becoming a key player for us. 

Lets hope so mate.  We've invested a lot in the player.  We also could get a few ££ for him come the summer.  A shite year next season we get a lot less. 

1 hour ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Lets hope so mate.  We've invested a lot in the player.  We also could get a few ££ for him come the summer.  A shite year next season we get a lot less. 

Fingers crossed he will come good mate  

1 hour ago, Naisys Tackle said:

As one of the posters that ripped the player before ashamedly, I was wrong.  Sibbick is one of the best players at the club. 

😂😂😂

What a mess we’re on if that’s true. 

Ex member of the SaS

A guy that got great plaudits from all over during the world cup doesn't suddenly become pants. Better selections and tactics will see him back to his best. The whole team is poor so to single him out is rather strange. 

Better man management formations and players in correct positions will see a big improvement all over. Just need the right appointment for manager.

22 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He didn’t really, I watched him more than the game and he was awful against France and continually made bad errors in the other games. Not unexpected as he was up against quality players and hes only 24. Obviously needs to bulk up but theres potential there. 

How Australia reached the knock-out stages with someone playing that badly at the heart of their defence is miraculous. It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I doubt that many would share yours on this. He certainly received a great deal more praise than criticism at the time from the pundits. He was over-praised in this forum earlier in the season but I do think you are being absurdly harsh in your estimation of his contribution for his country. We must hope that his potential comes to fruition with Hearts with positive indication of that urgently required at present!

Rowles is a big disappointment so far as I'm concerned. In fact the 3 Aussies haven't shown enough for me. So far as Rowles is concerned he lacks agression, muscled of the ball by Main and Nisbet, not good in the air and totally one footed. Hope I'm wrong and things improve. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 17/04/2023 at 12:19, Korky said:

Indeed - or Eddie Thomson or Dave McPherson or Andy Webster or Marius Zaliukas

Big Zal was “shite” before he was brilliant. At least to some on here anyway. Rowles will be fine for the league we play in. His confidence is shot right now. 10/15 lbs of muscle wouldn’t hurt either.

Ibrahim Tall
6 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Big Zal was “shite” before he was brilliant. At least to some on here anyway. Rowles will be fine for the league we play in. His confidence is shot right now. 10/15 lbs of muscle wouldn’t hurt either.

“Shite” is being kind. There was a decent number of people on here that didn’t even bother to learn his name for long enough and just called him “number 26” or at best ‘Zaliuseless’. 

🤦‍♂️

18 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

.Needs confidence

I was righting  line with him for Sr Mirrens first goal,  just as the pass was being made Main gave him a slight nudge and he was like Bambi on ice. It was pretty embarrassing tbh the kind of thing you see at boys club level.

He is nowhere near street wise enough atm .

Rowles or the mythical back 3 arent the problem.

The zero effort midfield and a complete lack of confidence and continuity going forward will cause any defence massive issues.

We're giving the opponents the game.

Howdy Doody Jambo

The ball over the top is the oldest tactic in Scottish football and our defence can't deal with it 

31 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

The ball over the top is the oldest tactic in Scottish football and our defence can't deal with it 

The crosses are not much better - fitba seems to be creating a generation of centre backs who are comfortable with the ball at their feet but shite heading the ball.  It's not just the heading, it's the lack of aggression and dominant behaviour that gets me - Halkett's loss has been significant.

12 minutes ago, briever said:

The crosses are not much better - fitba seems to be creating a generation of centre backs who are comfortable with the ball at their feet but shite heading the ball.  It's not just the heading, it's the lack of aggression and dominant behaviour that gets me - Halkett's loss has been significant.

Yep, the brain injury issue does seem to be starting to have an effect. Fewer and fewer headers in the game theses days. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
2 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

“Shite” is being kind. There was a decent number of people on here that didn’t even bother to learn his name for long enough and just called him “number 26” or at best ‘Zaliuseless’. 

🤦‍♂️

As a midfielder he was somewhat lacking. But after moving position what a player and Captain he turned out to be.

☹️