• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• jambopilms

• wavydavy

• ramrod

Gordon Ramsay
33 minutes ago, Bungalow Bill said:

He was genuinely never that good in my opinion. Earlier on in the season he had some good blocks but that was it for me. 

He's quite good at interceptions and blocks but all other aspects of defending, hopeless. 

Never seen such a weak centre back. 

LogicalEric

He made a couple of good interceptions/blocks when crosses came in but dearie me...any physicality or high balls forward he looks completely devoid of confidence and is positionally all over the shop. 

We must be a scout/analysts dream at the moment. So many areas to easily exploit.

18 hours ago, Costanza said:

He's need to bulk up and get better coaching. Also shows how much Halkett was holding things together 

As much as I think we miss Halkett, it's easy to get carried away with how good a player we think he is.

Yes Halkett was far more aggressive and attacked the ball and won lots of headers but he is not the quickest and has also cost us silly goals in his time.

I feel as if we have never really progressed in many areas of the team and if truth be known we have yet another season of having to get rid of deadwood and bring in the type of players we need.

Remember the days when Managers used to moan about us being a "Big Physical Team" ? well those days are long gone we have a few big players but they have the hearts of mice.

I feel sorry for Naismith trying to get a tune out of these pathetic whimps. Still feeling sorry for themselves after they get what they want in getting Robbie sacked.

Ross Co next week must be rubbing there hands knowing that they will be getting the next vital three points they need to help with their survival.

We do miss a commanding centre half, I didn't think Rowles was too bad yesterday with the exception of letting it go over his head first half but recovered well. The distribution from the back is poor due to the lack of anything in the middle of the pitch. 

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

As much as I think we miss Halkett, it's easy to get carried away with how good a player we think he is.

Yes Halkett was far more aggressive and attacked the ball and won lots of headers but he is not the quickest and has also cost us silly goals in his time.

I feel as if we have never really progressed in many areas of the team and if truth be known we have yet another season of having to get rid of deadwood and bring in the type of players we need.

Remember the days when Managers used to moan about us being a "Big Physical Team" ? well those days are long gone we have a few big players but they have the hearts of mice.

I feel sorry for Naismith trying to get a tune out of these pathetic whimps. Still feeling sorry for themselves after they get what they want in getting Robbie sacked.

Ross Co next week must be rubbing there hands knowing that they will be getting the next vital three points they need to help with their survival.

I disagree with that on Halkett. Initially he wasn't great with us but later on and especially in a back 3 he was excellent, so much so he was involved in the Scotland set up. Our dip in form and results last season coincided when he was out and I just think he is a very good centre half at SPL level. Think we badly miss his physicality, aerial ability, leadership and organisation at the back. There is certainly no other centre half we have you could describe as commanding or a leader.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

The difference in our win % and number of goals conceded with and without Halkett is absolutely hilarious. Someone did the numbers on it earlier this season when he got injured. It’s conclusive - he was without question the most important player in Robbie neilsons team 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Rowles said at around Xmas he knows he needs to bulk up for this league.

What has he done about it? What have our “sports science” team done about it?

You don’t need to be close season to add gym sessions to your week. Disappointing lack of commitment to his future career from Kye. He could have added quite a bit of bulk in the last 4 or 5 months or so had he really worked on it.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Stupid Sexy Flanders
3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The difference in our win % and number of goals conceded with and without Halkett is absolutely hilarious. Someone did the numbers on it earlier this season when he got injured. It’s conclusive - he was without question the most important player in Robbie neilsons team 

There's no doubt about it IMO, even without looking at the stats to back it up. Some of the goals we've lost this season have been absolutely criminal. As is our complete and utter reliance on Halkett. It's a disgrace we didn't sign a replacement when it was clear he was going to be out long term. 

Watt-Zeefuik
6 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

You don’t need to be close season to add gym sessions to your week. Disappointing lack of commitment to his future career from Kye. He could have added quite a bit of bulk in the last 4 or 5 months or so had he really worked on it.

It's extremely hard to bulk up mid-season. The amount of caloric expenditure and muscle exhaustion that goes into a professional football game is extreme. It's something he needs to work on in the summer.

Rowles is going to be a great signing for us. He's just a bit wiry now and still a bit young.

Said it on another thread, Rowles ground defence is excellent. His positioning is good, he reads the game well. His weakness is balls over the top and aerial duals. He needs to get a bit bigger but the flak he's getting is miles over the top. 

Luckies1874
9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

It's extremely hard to bulk up mid-season. The amount of caloric expenditure and muscle exhaustion that goes into a professional football game is extreme. It's something he needs to work on in the summer.

Rowles is going to be a great signing for us. He's just a bit wiry now and still a bit young.

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Said it on another thread, Rowles ground defence is excellent. His positioning is good, he reads the game well. His weakness is balls over the top and aerial duals. He needs to get a bit bigger but the flak he's getting is miles over the top. 

Agree with both of you.

Kye Rowles is far from being one of our main issues. The guy needs support both on the pitch and from us the fans. 

He actually won a shit load of headers yesterday, especially in the first half when Kingsley was all over the place and Hibs were getting crosses in at will. No doubt be had a few moments were he needs to be stronger and more focused and find that edge but these are all things he can get better at with the right coaching and better more experienced players helping him. 

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Agree with both of you.

Kye Rowles is far from being one of our main issues. The guy needs support both on the pitch and from us the fans. 

He actually won a shit load of headers yesterday, especially in the first half when Kingsley was all over the place and Hibs were getting crosses in at will. No doubt be had a few moments were he needs to be stronger and more focused and find that edge but these are all things he can get better at with the right coaching and better more experienced players helping him. 

12 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Agree.  Rowles made many blocks and got over to make many good clearances yesterday.  I know we are hurting and anyone and everyone is getting it, but it seems harsh on him.  

Kingsley was the weak link. Halliday was floating around as the game went past him.  The problems were elsewhere and as a defender, it’s horrible having to keep mopping up when you know the protection is shite.  

I think a few months ago just about everyone on here would have given him a 5 Yr deal. He's struggling at the moment but so is everyone

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

I think a few months ago just about everyone on here would have given him a 5 Yr deal. He's struggling at the moment but so is everyone

You would be correct

kingantti1874
20 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

yup. Was outstanding at Livingston away.  He’s a good player.  But he does need to work on his heading 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

He’d be ****ed then!

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

He's best suited to be the left man of a back 3. If there's a Halkett or similar in the middle, he's an incredible asset.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree.  Rowles made many blocks and got over to make many good clearances yesterday.  I know we are hurting and anyone and everyone is getting it, but it seems harsh on him.  

Kingsley was the weak link. Halliday was floating around as the game went past him.  The problems were elsewhere and as a defender, it’s horrible having to keep mopping up when you know the protection is shite.  

That's a centre backs job though.

Hopefully he improves but never saw the reason he earned a 5 year deal with us, based on his form since the world cup hell most likely see out the 5 years with us 

WheatfieldWarrior
On 15/04/2023 at 16:05, suds66 said:

Someone thought he was worth a 5 year contract.

Whoever that was should be working in a circus, wait a minute!

We can never be 100% sure who that someone was - let's split the difference and blame Robbie Savage.

5 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

We can never be 100% sure who that someone was - let's split the difference and blame Robbie Savage.

🤣

WheatfieldWarrior
5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I seem to remember him being brushed aside by Nesbit at one point - surely that was a ground duel? or am I missing something?

Edited by WheatfieldWarrior

12 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Grew a mo....

10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

This 

With halkett back /another commanding cb alongside him. He will do just fine. A good defender for this league.

AC Mallin_51

As many have said he’d benefit from a ball winning centre half next to him. We’ll really see the best of him when halkett is back. However our recruitment team decided to get a 20 year old on loan to fill in for halkett. Still utterly bizarre and one of the most costly decisions of the season imo

pettigrewsstylist
7 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

I seem to remember him being brushed aside by Nesbit at one point - surely that was a ground duel? or am I missing something?

Was thinking the same. Stats not fit for purpose.

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Hansel said:

He's a stroller that needs a ball winning centre back to play alongside him

Yip. 

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

As many have said he’d benefit from a ball winning centre half next to him. We’ll really see the best of him when halkett is back. However our recruitment team decided to get a 20 year old on loan to fill in for halkett. Still utterly bizarre and one of the most costly decisions of the season imo

Really was.

46 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

when halkett is back. 

If our recruitment for a CH is put on hold on this hope then we are ROYALLY ****ed. Halkett is John Souttar mark 2 sadly. Cracking player but he will always be injured. He will come back for a bit then be will be out. It unsettles the team.  We just can't have him in our future plans. 

AC Mallin_51
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

If our recruitment for a CH is put on hold on this hope then we are ROYALLY ****ed. Halkett is John Souttar mark 2 sadly. Cracking player but he will always be injured. He will come back for a bit then be will be out. It unsettles the team.  We just can't have him in our future plans. 

I agree with a lot of this too, but for me that just makes it even more bizarre that we haven’t set out to sign another solid centre half 

21 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yes, I think we missed him more than we missed Souttar last season when he was out. 

14 hours ago, Cruyff said:

... the flak he's getting is miles over the top. 

Shocked to read that Hearts fans criticism of a Heart of Midlothian employee is miles over the top.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

What was his injury record before he got crocked last season

RustyRightPeg
12 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

Shocked to read that Hearts fans criticism of a Heart of Midlothian employee is miles over the top.

This place really does provide you with something new everyday doesn’t it. 

He along with the rest of the squad is having a rough spell and folk calling for his head. Bizarre. He was the best thing since sliced bread pre Xmas. 

Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

This place really does provide you with something new everyday doesn’t it. 

He along with the rest of the squad is having a rough spell and folk calling for his head. Bizarre. He was the best thing since sliced bread pre Xmas. 

As predictable as night following day. This place can quickly deteriorate into an echo chamber for empty heads.

I remember reading from an aussie on here maybe that his heading was the weak part of his game. Without anyone commanding next to him he is probably more exposed in that regard. He is great at anticipating it on the ground and making interceptions but I would much rather have him than not. Definitely needs to work on his strength and not be brushed aside so easily though, have seen him bullied by a few players this season like that. 

Rowles will shine again when paired with another strong CB.  I have no doubt.  His reading of the game is fantastic.  Not something that be coached easily.

Remember he is still essentially settling in here.

Halkett took a while to settle in too and he had already played in the SPFL for years.

It also doesn't help when switching back and forth between 2 and 3 at the back, plus a missing midfield to get the ball to.

Edited by Lovecraft

Big John Colquhoun
45 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Rowles will shine again when paired with another strong CB.  I have no doubt.  His reading of the game is fantastic.  Not something that be coached easily.

Remember he is still essentially settling in here.

Halkett took a while to settle in too and he had already played in the SPFL for years.

It also doesn't help when switching back and forth between 2 and 3 at the back, plus a missing midfield to get the ball to.

You could say the same for Sibbick or any centreback who isn’t commanding or dominant in the air, for that matter, they need a strong, commanding partner next to them.

If we play a back four and either Halket comes back or we sign a commanding centre back, for me I’d pair them with Sibick all day long ahead of Rowles.

Do agree, don’t think constant switching of personnel and formation has helped any of our defenders this season. Lucky if we’ve played the same back 4/5 more than three games in a row.

Can't say I agree with the view that he will be better next to a ball winning CH. The team will be better, but it won't improve Rowles' heading ability or lack of aggression and teams will continue to target his weaknesses.

23 minutes ago, Big John Colquhoun said:

You could say the same for Sibbick or any centreback who isn’t commanding or dominant in the air, for that matter, they need a strong, commanding partner next to them.

If we play a back four and either Halket comes back or we sign a commanding centre back, for me I’d pair them with Sibick all day long ahead of Rowles.

Do agree, don’t think constant switching of personnel and formation has helped any of our defenders this season. Lucky if we’ve played the same back 4/5 more than three games in a row.

Agreed. There's a lot of 'Rowles needs a commanding partner' going about...I'm with you, it's Sibbick who deserves a commanding partner for next season. 

10 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Can't say I agree with the view that he will be better next to a ball winning CH. The team will be better, but it won't improve Rowles' heading ability or lack of aggression and teams will continue to target his weaknesses.

Correct.

I remember we used to target Paul Hanlon in derbies as the weak link. Our strikers would regularly ragdoll him.

Hanlon just out-jumped and out-muscled our centre half to win the game on Saturday.

What have we become ffs.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

He's good on tbe ground and can tackle, it's also his first season in Scotland were he was also injured for around 2 months.

He was vastly over rated by some earlier on, but likewise now thate  is being completely slated as shite, that is also not true.

Sibbick and Rowles both have potential  and have areas to improve as well as qualities but we needed an experienced,  commanding,  centre half and they are  neither of these things.

Hill, Kuol and Oda in January was a bit of a joke transfer and added nothing to the team.

We needed a Halkett and Beni replacement,  we just ignored it and went a different way.

5 hours ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Well, he looked pretty good playing alongside the man-mountain that is Harry Souttar in a World Cup finals tournament. Could do a job as they say..