Rowles......

Exile fae Main Street

pettigrewsstylist

Think we need to throw some money at a proper defensive/CH coach over this summer, even informally.

Get Sibbick, Neilson, Rowles, Atkinson (if still here), and Cochrane developed. Kingsley can attend aswell for CB work.

Decent players without unit cohesion is mgmt fail. They cant coach them, its clear now.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• jambopilms

• wavydavy

• ramrod

3 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Think we need to throw some money at a proper defensive/CH coach over this summer, even informally.

Get Sibbick, Neilson, Rowles, Atkinson (if still here), and Cochrane developed. Kingsley can attend aswell for CB work.

Decent players without unit cohesion is mgmt fail. They cant coach them, its clear now.

That’s a decent idea.  It’s pretty obvious to me that none of our current choices as centre back are at all comfortable playing in a back three. All of them look ill at ease in that formation. 

pettigrewsstylist
3 minutes ago, Deevers said:

That’s a decent idea.  It’s pretty obvious to me that none of our current choices as centre back are at all comfortable playing in a back three. All of them look ill at ease in that formation. 

Its really basic concept. Dont know why it wasnt done last Autumn. Can only presume its not down to pennies and its egos and pride getting in the way.

There is zero chance the mgmt team have been content with all the free headers we allow in our box, regardless of a back 4 or 3.

Baffling. 

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

3 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Its really basic concept. Dont know why it wasnt done last Autumn. Can only presume its not down to pennies and its egos and pride getting in the way.

There is zero chance the mgmt team have been content with all the free headers we allow in our box, regardless of a back 4 or 3.

Baffling. 

True. I can’t for the life of me understand why we didn’t pick up a Centre Half in the winter window.  One that had the old fashioned no nonsense win the ball attributes. Having players that can play the ball along the back line and make passes is one thing, but if they are frail defensively then that causes problem. That’s exactly where we are just now.

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

We should maybe lay off players until we see what whoever replaces Neilson gets out of them. Must be a horrible side to play in for younger inexperienced guys with morale being so low. All the wrong kind of pressure heaped on them. 

Completely agree. At stages this season a lot of the players we are currently slating have played well. Appreciate that resilience and mental fortitude are very much part of the skill set required to be successful but there is clearly something wrong behind the scenes and heads have clearly dropped. Before we make wholesale changes yet again let's give someone else a chance at the driving.

6 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Hes needs an aggressive CB beside him

We shouldn't have anyone in the team that needs someone to hold his hand, 11 players who can do thier own job isn't too much to ask.

pettigrewsstylist
7 minutes ago, Deevers said:

True. I can’t for the life of me understand why we didn’t pick up a Centre Half in the winter window.  One that had the old fashioned no nonsense win the ball attributes. Having players that can play the ball along the back line and make passes is one thing, but if they are frail defensively then that causes problem. That’s exactly where we are just now.

Both RCB and RB were key recruitment areas for me Jan. Perhaps budget was done, i dont know.

I guess Hill was the hope, to buy time for more attractive oprtions becoming available  this summer. After the Halkett gamble in Aug, it seems really poor judgment tho.

It was clear Atkinson was going to need work to get there defensively and we knew we prob were not going to offer Smith contract so that was obviously a massive risk aswell.

pettigrewsstylist
10 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Completely agree. At stages this season a lot of the players we are currently slating have played well. Appreciate that resilience and mental fortitude are very much part of the skill set required to be successful but there is clearly something wrong behind the scenes and heads have clearly dropped. Before we make wholesale changes yet again let's give someone else a chance at the driving.

We have the makings of a really good squad there. Our central midfield signings last summer have failed miserably. We chose to put in youngsters to replace Souttar and Halkett.

Boyce loss and Beni not being there right now have hurt us, but doesnt explain the ££ on Grant and Kio. 

7 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Both RCB and RB were key recruitment areas for me Jan. Perhaps budget was done, i dont know.

I guess Hill was the hope, to buy time for more attractive oprtions becoming available  this summer. After the Halkett gamble in Aug, it seems really poor judgment tho.

It was clear Atkinson was going to need work to get there defensively and we knew we prob were not going to offer Smith contract so that was obviously a massive risk aswell.

Think smith has a year option

Hoping that a Saudi or Qatari club come along and offer money for both Rowles and Atkinson in the summer. Don't think either will cut it at Scottish football, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Hill certainly does not look like a prospect for the EPL.  Smith was poor again yesterday. It looks like it’s going to be a car crash end to the season unless something fundamental changes.  65% possession and only 2 shots on target in a home game says it all.  If you look back the stats that’s been the case for weeks now. Both goals we lost yesterday were defensive disasters.

things have to change - and quickly.

pettigrewsstylist
4 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Think smith has a year option

So did I. I thought the grounds to trigger it were crossed several weeks ago. I figured i was ill informed ref the yr.

Key point will be if the yr is in same terms or new ones.

If Halks was next to him he'd look 10x better. 

Real question is why the **** we didn't sign a replacement in the winter window when we had a chance. Hill was a stupid signing that wasn't what we needed. I'd suggested Aden Flint, and whilst the player suggestion maybe wasn't great, the idea was. We needed a ball winner to sit next to Rowles to bring the best out of him. We didn't do it and now our defence is soft as shite.

If Halkett was next to him, he would have still made an arse of it at the first goal yesterday.

We dont need a CH who requires a babysitter 

Edited by Jonkel Hoon

maroonlegions

Why was SIbbick on the bench.

We miss Halket big time. He at least does get bullied off the ball easily,unlike Rowles yesterday for their goal,

It’s so bloody obvious, we needed a good old 6” 4” big unit to replace Halkett when he was out the second time. At least defend crosses and corners.

Instead, Robbie thought we could survive playing Cochrane, Kingsley at CH, for them all to get outmuscled in the air. Hill and Sibbick aren’t dominant centre half’s either, so we are the softest defence in history. I can’t begin to say how bad I think Hill is.

Aberdeen had the same problem. They had nIce footballers in McRorie and Scales, but lost so many goals, so they went out into the loan market, got 2 big defenders who know how to defend and surprise surprise they stop losing goals and have went on a run. Robbie has been too intent on playing out thinking he’s Pep. We needed a Berra type player. No matter who is in charge for foreseeable, every team in this league has big huddy strikers who will love playing against us and know we’re soft as shi**.

Fletcher Dundee Uts, Nouble Livi, Main St Mirren, White Ross County, May St Johnstone, Van Veen Motherwell, Doidge to a lesser extent, and then you come up against Celtic/Rangers with way better players. I think our defence is absolute murder.

I still think Rowles would be better with a big no nonsense defender beside him. We must be one of the slowest one paced team going. When I say yesterdays starting 11, that has to be one of our slowest teams we have ever put out?

Said before the game Main will bully him all over the park just like Fletcher did!

Rowles is a wimp on a 4 year contract I believe! 🤷‍♂️

All roads lead to Gorgie
57 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Hes needs an aggressive CB beside him

Plus he needs to bulk up himself. You don't see many centre backs lacking in muscle strength in the modern game. Rowles just looks weak when up against players like Curtis Main.

33 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Hill certainly does not look like a prospect for the EPL.  Smith was poor again yesterday. It looks like it’s going to be a car crash end to the season unless something fundamental changes.  65% possession and only 2 shots on target in a home game says it all.  If you look back the stats that’s been the case for weeks now. Both goals we lost yesterday were defensive disasters.

things have to change - and quickly.

He’s not a prospect for the Scottish Championship!

Dagger Is Back

Rowles can’t play in a 3 IMO. I’ll hold off crucifying the other players until we see what kind of tune a new manager can get out of them.

A new manager who doesn’t put square pegs into round holes and tray it like a big game of football chess.

Second time this season he’s lost a foot race one on one to a carthorse. Which is concerning but there was an element of bad luck to both of them

It says a lot about the guy that he jumped at a 5 year deal , if he had any confidence in his ability he wouldn’t have , he would have backed himself to get better than us .

Souttar and halkett made him look better than he is , the guy is too soft to be a central defender.

50 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

If Halkett was next to him, he would have still made an arse of it at the first goal yesterday.

We dont need a CH who requires a babysitter 

Correct. he is not big enough  quick enough or good enough to be a first choice here.

30 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

He’s not a prospect for the Scottish Championship!

Not on what we have seen so far, that’s for certain.  I really don’t know why he was preferred to Sibbick yesterday. 

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

We shouldn't have anyone in the team that needs someone to hold his hand, 11 players who can do thier own job isn't too much to ask.

Hope the academy and B lads dont read this.

2 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Hope the academy and B lads dont read this.

The players who should be holding the hands of the B lads, need their own hands holding.

Edited by jambopilms

pettigrewsstylist
56 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Why was SIbbick on the bench.

We miss Halket big time. He at least does get bullied off the ball easily,unlike Rowles yesterday for their goal,

Im guessing because he ball watches set plays into box, which we knew were going to be massive yesterday. Or it could be robbieflu, no idea.

I could see some rationale to it yesterday, albeit ridiculous to have to make such a choice.

18Jambo_dave74
On 02/04/2023 at 19:38, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

First game of the season - done over the top for Ross County goal.

Following week - should bring Boyle down in midfield, Hibs go on an equalise.

Dundee United away - ball over his head for  Fletcher’s goal. Same thing happens (from GK‘s kick) that leads to Gordon’s injury in the same game. 

Livi game - sent off for bringing down Nouble. Saved by Gordon and Gino. 

St J away - unnecessary hospital pass to Shankland for the second goal when we were cruising in the game.

Dundee Utd at home - ball over his head (again from a GK kick), loses his man, Fletcher misses a sitter to make it 2-0 to Utd. 

Celtic at home - misses the ball after 3 mins, we’re 1-0 down. 

Aberdeen game - Duk free header in the penalty box, 2-0 down. 

St Mirren game - should have given away a last minute penalty for handball. 

St J at home - once again done over the top losing his man and would have been sent off but fortunately their player was marginally offside.

After yesterday I can add Doidge and Vassell to the list of players that have bullied him (Obika, Van Veen , Fletcher, Main, White etc) Don’t remember him winning a single header when up against Killie’s strike force. Must’ve passed it straight out the park at least 3 times in the first half yesterday too.

I really hope he improves physically over the summer but as it is I’ve no idea how he gets such an easy time. Particularly compared to the treatment that the likes of Hill, Sibbick and Neilson have all had at varying points. 

Another costly mistake to add to the list. 

He’s been costing us all season and has somehow got an easy ride (as well as a 5 year deal!). Needs Halkett beside him, can’t play in a 3, regressed under Neilson…lots of excuses getting made for this absolute wimp that is incapable of winning a header. 

He’s lucky that the rest of our (fit) centre backs are just as awful at basic marking, winning headers and tracking runners otherwise he’d be nowhere near the team.

pettigrewsstylist
58 minutes ago, daftie said:

It’s so bloody obvious, we needed a good old 6” 4” big unit to replace Halkett when he was out the second time. At least defend crosses and corners.

Instead, Robbie thought we could survive playing Cochrane, Kingsley at CH, for them all to get outmuscled in the air. Hill and Sibbick aren’t dominant centre half’s either, so we are the softest defence in history. I can’t begin to say how bad I think Hill is.

Aberdeen had the same problem. They had nIce footballers in McRorie and Scales, but lost so many goals, so they went out into the loan market, got 2 big defenders who know how to defend and surprise surprise they stop losing goals and have went on a run. Robbie has been too intent on playing out thinking he’s Pep. We needed a Berra type player. No matter who is in charge for foreseeable, every team in this league has big huddy strikers who will love playing against us and know we’re soft as shi**.

Fletcher Dundee Uts, Nouble Livi, Main St Mirren, White Ross County, May St Johnstone, Van Veen Motherwell, Doidge to a lesser extent, and then you come up against Celtic/Rangers with way better players. I think our defence is absolute murder.

I still think Rowles would be better with a big no nonsense defender beside him. We must be one of the slowest one paced team going. When I say yesterdays starting 11, that has to be one of our slowest teams we have ever put out?

Im surprised wee Cohrane didnt slam the heid on him at half time in Florence. 

Fozzyonthefence
31 minutes ago, chazza74 said:

It says a lot about the guy that he jumped at a 5 year deal , if he had any confidence in his ability he wouldn’t have , he would have backed himself to get better than us .

Souttar and halkett made him look better than he is , the guy is too soft to be a central defender.

Souttar wasn’t even at Hearts when we signed him!

On 02/04/2023 at 21:41, jonesy said:

Perhaps we could transfer him to the women's team? Then again, he might not be able to face up to some of the more powerful strikers in that league, either.

You mean a TRANS fer.

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg

Few posters going on about “the new manager”

If you think Robbie is getting punted you’re delusional.

2 hours ago, daftie said:

Amazing that Bournemouth actually paid £5million for this guy. 🤣

2 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We have the makings of a really good squad there. Our central midfield signings last summer have failed miserably. We chose to put in youngsters to replace Souttar and Halkett.

Boyce loss and Beni not being there right now have hurt us, but doesnt explain the ££ on Grant and Kio. 

Grant is ok Kio is awful 

9 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I thought defensive play from Hill was ok but his passing yesterday was terrible.

Just now, bawheed said:

I thought defensive play from Hill was ok but his passing yesterday was terrible.

For a £5 million pound player I would expect a bit of pace which he shows he doesn't have. He is not that strong either just like the rest of our defence.

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, Fraggle said:

Hoping that a Saudi or Qatari club come along and offer money for both Rowles and Atkinson in the summer. Don't think either will cut it at Scottish football, unfortunately.

Rowles if he stays will play feet up not bothered football for the next three years. Clear to see he likes the new deal

pettigrewsstylist
1 minute ago, bawheed said:

Grant is ok Kio is awful 

Okay in a sea of 💩 He is lightly polished 💩, but floats all the same. How the bejeezzes £750k+ was ever mentioned in relation to that guy is beyond me.

Can only presume better than he is showing.

Poor match for SPFL.  Recruitment gamble fail on every level.

The project MUST go on.

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Rowles if he stays will play feet up not bothered football for the next three years. Clear to see he likes the new deal

Do you know him?

Missing Halkett. Rowles ground defence is good, he's going through a tough spell but he is a good defender but he needs an aggressive CB and a leader next to him. It was a massive mistake not to replace Souttar and Halkett.  

25 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

£1 million from Fleetwood

4 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

£1 million from Fleetwood

I better let my mate know it was him that told me yesterday at the game they had paid £5 million.

Rowles gets caught out like he did against Main most matches. 

Exactly same thing happened against Fletcher where he scored at Tanadice.

He got let of a certain red card against  St Johnstone where the boy was just offside and Rowles didn't have a clue what was going on around him.

Weak in the air = useless in this league. At the very least if you have shit defenders, cut out the crosses. We don't do that either.

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Missing Halkett. Rowles ground defence is good, he's going through a tough spell but he is a good defender but he needs an aggressive CB and a leader next to him. It was a massive mistake not to replace Souttar and Halkett.  

I think we need to sign a new physical experienced CB for next season as Halkett has shown that he is now injury prone just like Souttar.

You are correct though we have missed him and Beni.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

I think we need to sign a new physical experienced CB for next season as Halkett has shown that he is now injury prone just like Souttar.

You are correct though we have missed him and Beni.

Absolutely agree

rowles is getting picked out and roasted for some reason where he’s actually been pretty solid this season. A solid, young enough centre back (Taylor Moore anyone?)

LochcarronJambo

Rowles has made quite a number of mistakes lately & has cost us goals….to be fair he is not alone, but really expected more from him than he is showing

1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Absolutely agree

rowles is getting picked out and roasted for some reason where he’s actually been pretty solid this season. A solid, young enough centre back (Taylor Moore anyone?)

Rowles said a few months back that he was trying to bulk up as he knew he wasn't strong enough for the physicality of the SPL.

Looks like that hasn't worked. He really needs to toughen up and you don't have to be ripped to hold your own in challenges.

Pressley and Gough were decent defenders and not all that bulky.

I am not so sure I would want Taylor Moore back tbh.