***Heart Of Midlothian v St Johnstone Official Match Thread ***

Masonic

Just put my ticket on for Saturday as I can’t make it. Section S, row 3, seat 14 if anyone is interested or knows of someone wanting to go. First game I’m missing, gutted

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Morgan

• ri Alban

On 24/02/2023 at 14:00, Armageddon said:

'Ticket Exchange Open' hahaha, there will be about 3k empty seats.

It is a very long time since we have had any thing like that number of empty seats 

If we set up with Snodgrass as the deep playmaker, I will seriously be questioning Neilsons sanity.

If we do persist with 343 then we need more from the wide players. No point having Kingsley, Cochrane and McKay in the team but have no overlapping runs or crosses in the box. You can't leave the middle of the park exposed and not make the most of the wide areas, otherwise what's the point.

Same on the right with Ginnley, Smith and Hill, they should all be supporting each other in attack but they don't. We have loads of wide players doing nothing but staying very wide leaving the two of Snodgrass and Devlin out numbered.

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

If we set up with Snodgrass as the deep playmaker, I will seriously be questioning Neilsons sanity.

If we do persist with 343 then we need more from the wide players. No point having Kingsley, Cochrane and McKay in the team but have no overlapping runs or crosses in the box. You can't leave the middle of the park exposed and not make the most of the wide areas, otherwise what's the point.

Same on the right with Ginnley, Smith and Hill, they should all be supporting each other in attack but they don't. We have loads of wide players doing nothing but staying very wide leaving the two of Snodgrass and Devlin out numbered.

Not sure which performances you are basing this on?

Since the World Cup, we've been on a good run. Stuttered a bit of late (though only the Motherwell defeat can be said to be a blemish, in my view).

We've seen overlaps down the right, underlaps down the left, Snodgrass playing deep, combining well with Devlin, a bit of chopping and changing at the back owing to Rowles and Kingsley injuries, 'who do you leave out?' problems, a bit of a blip in Cochrane's form (carrying an injury perhaps), and shuffling the pack a bit to make good use of January arrivals / loanees.

Questioning the sanity of a manager with such a proven record over multiple seasons, really? What do you expect?

13 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Since the World Cup, we've been on a good run. Stuttered a bit of late (though only the Motherwell defeat can be said to be a blemish, in my view).

We've seen overlaps down the right, underlaps down the left, Snodgrass playing deep, combining well with Devlin, a bit of chopping and changing at the back owing to Rowles and Kingsley injuries, 'who do you leave out?' problems, a bit of a blip in Cochrane's form (carrying an injury perhaps), and shuffling the pack a bit to make good use of January arrivals / loanees.

Questioning the sanity of a manager with such a proven record over multiple seasons, really? What do you expect?

Have you watched the games or just seen the scores? IMO opinion we don't cross the ball much at all, and going by his comments Shankland agrees, it should be a real strength considering the players we have and it's not.

Even during a win any manager should be trying to correct anything that has gone wrong i.e. being over run and outfought by most teams. He hasn't made any changes to how we play since we were found out by St Mirren a couple of months ago.

Any chance of Robbie starting with a back 4 instead to changing to that when it all goes a bit Pete Tong?

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

Results are obviously far more important than performances however in many games we have dug them out on a combination of individual brilliance and the opposition failing to take chances.

I can’t remember a game where we have dominated for 90 minutes and some of our second half performances against the likes of Hibs (twice) and Killie were a concern, whilst we were not at the races against DU in the first half until they got a man sent off.

The games against Rangers and Motherwell were brutal.

That all said we are 5 points clear in 3rd and are in a great position so hopefully against St Johnstone we can kick on again and nail down the European spot.

Edited by Thomaso

4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Results are obviously far more important than performances however in many games we have dug them out on a combination of individual brilliance and the opposition failing to take chances.

I can’t remember a game where we have dominated for 90 minutes and some of our second half performances against the likes of Hibs (twice) and Killie were a concern, whilst we were not at the races against DU in the first half until they got a man sent off.

The games against Rangers and Motherwell were brutal.

That all said we are 5 points clear in 3rd and are in a great position so hopefully against St Johnstone we can kick on again and nail down the European spot.

Have you watched the games or just seen the scores? IMO opinion we don't cross the ball much at all, and going by his comments Shankland agrees, it should be a real strength considering the players we have and it's not.

Even during a win any manager should be trying to correct anything that has gone wrong i.e. being over run and outfought by most teams. He hasn't made any changes to how we play since we were found out by St Mirren a couple of months ago.

I've seen some of the games, but not all.

How many teams dominate games for 90 minutes?

Yes, two of the games were brutal. Two out of how many?

Time and again, Neilson's teams grind out results in the league, season after season. Maybe he knows what he is doing?

Yes, we'd all like to see fast-flowing flair-filled football for fully 90(+) minutes every game. But then there's the opposition. Lots of teams try to stop us from playing. Why do they do that? 

I'll continue to judge Neilson by results. That tells me he's done well and is doing well. Roll on tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

I've seen some of the games, but not all.

Time and again, Neilson's teams grind out results in the league, season after season. Maybe he knows what he is doing?

Yes, we'd all like to see fast-flowing flair-filled football for fully 90(+) minutes every game. But then there's the opposition. Lots of teams try to stop us from playing. Why do they do that? 

I'll continue to judge Neilson by results. That tells me he's done well and is doing well. Roll on tomorrow.

To answer your question better teams dominate poorer teams for 90 minutes - we did that in quite a few games last season and many other Hearts teams have done the same.

Of course other teams will have their moments but to see us dominated by the likes of Hibs, Killie and DU for half the game is a worrying trend that will catch up on us.

Please don’t throw the old “flair filled” line at me - that’s not what I’m talking about as I think you know.

I do agree with you that Robbie has done well and is doing well however there are flaws there (in my humble opinion) with our recent performances and his insistence on playing 3 at the back.

Looking forward to a 90 minute performance tomorrow 😉 and a good win! 

45 minutes ago, JALBO said:

St Johnstone has sold out their 580 or so tickets for Saturday.

That accounts for half their core support….

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

That accounts for half their core support….

It is actually a good 'pro-rata' support. 

5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

To answer your question better teams dominate poorer teams for 90 minutes - we did that in quite a few games last season and many other Hearts teams have done the same.

Of course other teams will have their moments but to see us dominated by the likes of Hibs, Killie and DU for half the game is a worrying trend that will catch up on us.

Please don’t throw the old “flair filled” line at me - that’s not what I’m talking about as I think you know.

I do agree with you that Robbie has done well and is doing well however there are flaws there (in my humble opinion) with our recent performances and his insistence on playing 3 at the back.

Do you mean like how Man U 'dominated' West Ham for 90 mins the other day?

50 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

With our squad of players we shouldn't be getting dominated by anyone outside of the OF.

2 x St Mirren, 2 x Motherwell, 2 x Hibs, Livi, Killi have all been considerably better than us for long spells. 

Results have been decent but there is no reason why with our squad of players we aren't being better than the other teams.

When we get outplayed by shite it's easy to understand why we never lay a glove on Rangers and get serious humping in Europe.

We have a better team than last year but are playing worse.

Edited by jambopilms

28 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Do you mean like how Man U 'dominated' West Ham for 90 mins the other day?

Don’t know didn’t see the game 🤷‍♂️

33 minutes ago, JALBO said:

It is actually a good 'pro-rata' support. 

Terrible support for a lone Club in a large City

46 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

With our squad of players we shouldn't be getting dominated by anyone outside of the OF.

2 x St Mirren, 2 x Motherwell, 2 x Hibs, Livi, Killi have all been considerably better than us for long spells. 

Results have been decent but there is no reason why with our squad of players we aren't being better than the other teams.

When we get outplayed by shite it's easy to understand why we never lay a glove on Rangers and get serious humping in Europe.

Spot on sir. This is exactly how it is. But  we are still third so what are you on about some on here will say. 

pettigrewsstylist
52 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Our final 3rd quality and goalkeeping has allowed us to overcome the very real points you make well.

HeartsandonlyHearts

First things first. 3 points.

Then a good team performance.

Hopefully turning a 5 point gap into 6 minimum.

Goal difference right now is like a point to us.

HHGH

You have it spot on. As somebody has said great goal keeping and individual brilliance has dug us out on quite a few occasions, not to mention the opposition fluffing their chances.

This is not a criticism it is a fact. Great credit goes to Robbie and the team getting us into 3rd however I do think we will need to up our performances to keep us there.

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

We've been dominated for parts of games. True.

But since Aberdeen beat us nearly five months ago, we have only once lost to a non-OF Scottish team (Motherwell).

Not directed at you: some perspective needed.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Cant wait for a win tomorrow, 13 days of misery listening to boring arseholes, thats my complaint Bob!!! Get it sorted son

5 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Well that's my hope of him realising it's not working out of the window.

Snodgrass to be man marked and our CBs will have to pass between themselves, whilst getting deeper and deeper and we will give away easy possession over and over.

When they have the ball they will have acres of space to do what they want until they get to our box.

Hope they don't score with there numerous chances and hope we have the quality to finish one of our few chances. 

maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Snodgrass to be man marked and our CBs will have to pass between themselves, whilst getting deeper and deeper and we will give away easy possession over and over.

When they have the ball they will have acres of space to do what they want until they get to our box.

Hope they don't score with there numerous chances and hope we have the quality to finish one of our few chances. 

14393787_max.jpg

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Insanity:- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. 
Or expecting RN to change his tactics before it’s clear once again they're not working. 

37 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Back 3 and a quarterback at home to St Johnstone - what's not to like!! 

JamboSoldier92

Just posted 2 seats together on ticket exchange in section J Roseburn stand if anyone is looking for tickets - me and the old man both can't make it.

Gorgie_Rules

Couldn’t care less how we set up, who plays, or if its a total snoozefest, just need to make sure we win, as is always the case in Scottish football for any team going for third.

After a disappointing result at Fir Park and some tricky games to come it’s essential we get a win in this one to prevent that narrative that we have ran out of steam.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Cant wait for a win tomorrow, 13 days of misery listening to boring arseholes, thats my complaint Bob!!! Get it sorted son

100% 

1 hour ago, MattyK82 said:

He’s clearly bluffing and about to change a system that hasn’t worked since the Aberdeen game

Bazzas right boot

With all the closing  the gap, next level and Hibs storming in front of us chat it's hard to remember we have a game tomorrow. 

6-3 Hearts.

Folk to moan we let St Johnstone have a good 20 minute spell.

upgotheheads
31 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He’s clearly bluffing and about to change a system that hasn’t worked since the Aberdeen game

I have been a critic of the system (3 at the back and possession the priority) in the past on here, but it's not the theory that I object to, it's how we do it. We sit too deep while we pass the ball across the back and do it too slowly. I think that's because we basically don't have players with the quality to do it, like most teams in Scotland.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

I have been a critic of the system (3 at the back and possession the priority) in the past on here, but it's not the theory that I object to, it's how we do it. We sit too deep while we pass the ball across the back and do it too slowly. I think that's because we basically don't have players with the quality to do it, like most teams in Scotland.

Especially the wingbacks, so why does he keep doing it?

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Don't hold your breath. 

2 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

The problems in this formation/ way of playing are plain to see. 

Robbie has a plan/strategy, fine. But the players need to start doing what they're being told. Equally, though we can't have a system with no room for players to express themselves. 

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Heart Of Midlothian v St Johnstone Official Match Thread ***
ColinSmith1255
5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Terrible support for a lone Club in a large City

Population of Perth approximately 47000. Hardly a large city.