***Heart Of Midlothian v St Johnstone Official Match Thread ***

Masonic

48 minutes ago, Buster HMFC said:

This is correct. Football wise this is probably the best we've played since the 1st half up at Perth. 

I would pay to watch that sort of stuff all day long . If we toil for 80 minutes but play that sort of thing for ten then I am pretty happy with the value for money on my ticket . An absolute joy to watch 

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Morgan

• ri Alban

39 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I could not care less if it happens once and we win three nil . I will unfortunately not be able to watch the full game after giving up my ticket for un foreseen circumstances but a mate sent me clips of the goals . The interplay and the touches and creativity were unreal . Some of the stuff Barrie McKay does in a Hearts jersey would see me buy a ticket just to watch him alone . Top quality footballer and he is not alone out there 

Tend to agree. McKay often heavily marked in games - today he had a tad more freedom and it showed. Good game today

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Buster HMFC said:

This is correct. Football wise this is probably the best we've played since the 1st half up at Perth. 

We were good against them early in the season too, they're not the stuffy team they used to be and we seem to enjoy playing them. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

Great goal from Grant. He meant that 100%. Not sure what match the Sportscene commentator is watching saying it was deflected. Strange comment.

Some of McKay’s skills were again unreal. He turns opponents into holograms. 

That was funny, he doubled down on it too 😆. Should’ve went to specsavers. 

LochcarronJambo

Just back very happy with the win,some of our passing was really good & we deserved win…have to say tho scoreline did flatter us a wee bit 

lost in space
4 hours ago, Sid said:

Lost the Plot. 
let’s look back at how you wanted the game to go and how it went. 
We played 3 at the back. 
Played well for most of the game (bit flat for a period). 
We got cheered off at half time. 

We didn’t change shape. 
Gino played up front and scored two goals. 
Shankland played behind him to good effect. 
Robbie’s interview is we played well, more positive.  
Robbie fan club (ie Hearts Fans) hail Neilson as a tactical genius for winning 3-0, playing positive football and keeping a clean sheet. 
Neilson doesn’t claim responsibility for poor performance (as there wasn’t one). 
Neilson boo-boys/Hobos sharpen their crayons to abuse Neilson for not winning 3-0 at Celtic Park.  

Oh dear. Another Robbie fan who doesn't have a scooby!

Do you REALLY think that posting exactly how a game will go is serious???

You probably do.

We played quite well against an average team at home.

We had 2 deflected goals and didn't trouble goalie otherwise.

We got the breaks and deserved to win.

Everybody is happy.

No need for us to perform better then....

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I thought we were shite today.

How can we have a thrown in 20 yards in their half and in 3 moves it’s back with the keeper?  Why do we pass it about at the back and panic to then thump it up, or concede a corner?

A deflection took the pressure right off.

shite and won 3-0 v the non OF team with the best away record in teh league?

Shite, eh?

I thought we played well, had a few hairier moments when passing out from the back. 

St Johnstone had a few pops from long range but never really looked like scoring, so overall comfortable.

4 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Predicting poor play comes from the experience of watching us the last few months.

BBC says St Johnstone were the better side for long spells, despite the score we should be looking to fix that 

Taking the BBC comments. Were you at Livi today? 

Buster HMFC
11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

shite and won 3-0 v the non OF team with the best away record in teh league?

Shite, eh?

He's obviously trying to bait folk. We looked good going forward today at times. Defo an improvement from recent games. 3-0 will never be enough for some folk on here though 

33 minutes ago, lost in space said:

You probably do.

Everybody is happy.

Great. What you hoping for for Celtic league game fn disaster?  It must be great to predict life will be shite in future all your life. 

heartsfc_fan

St Johnstone had a decent spell in the first half, probably last 20 minutes where they looked decent enough and could've scored. Zander Clark made a good save.

Second half apart from a wee 5 minute spell St Johnstone weren't in it.

It was comfortable. I never thought we'd lose the match.

One of those ones where we actually played some very good stuff especially in the second half.

lost in space
1 minute ago, Sid said:

Great. What you hoping for for Celtic league game fn disaster?  It must be great to predict life will be shite in future all your life. 

Once again - "oh dear"!

Generally when someone predicts a game, in detail it is "tongue in cheek".

You probably didn't get that.

I would guess that life mostly passes you by.....

1 minute ago, lost in space said:

Once again - "oh dear"!

Generally when someone predicts a game, in detail it is "tongue in cheek".

You probably didn't get that.

I would guess that life mostly passes you by.....

Sorry.  I totally did if that’s the case. I’m just peed off with so called Hearts fans who aren’t happy enough moaning about shite performances, they want to predict shire ones to come. 
think you were saying the same by your tongue in chest prediction.  

lost in space
2 minutes ago, Sid said:

Sorry.  I totally did if that’s the case. I’m just peed off with so called Hearts fans who aren’t happy enough moaning about shite performances, they want to predict shire ones to come. 
think you were saying the same by your tongue in chest prediction.  

Well, i suppose, in truth, I probably was predicting a poor performance (even tho it was tongue in cheek) but after Well game is that too surprising?

We did fine/well today.

1 minute ago, lost in space said:

Well, i suppose, in truth, I probably was predicting a poor performance (even tho it was tongue in cheek) but after Well game is that too surprising?

We did fine/well today.

I as worried we might repeat Well performance but think today we addressed a lot of the issues (quicker, more forward passes, mixed it up.  Got the ball to McKay before three defenders on him). Didn’t all come off but certainly tried to be more positive and address the issues. Pity we have two really tough games coming up as can’t build on this progress. So hard to find the tactics too. Compete with Celtic and today’s just won’t work. 

2 hours ago, lost in space said:

You probably do.

Everybody is happy.

I think you are clueless when I read posts like this 

22 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think you are clueless when I read posts like this 

He’s a trumpet of the highest order. 

Best put him on ignore. 

gorgierulesapply88

Any highlights as couldn't be bothered leaving the pub 🤣 and phone was on the table with the game on live whilst I played the puggys for the 1st goal..

Edited by gorgierulesapply88

51 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Any highlights as couldn't be bothered leaving the pub 🤣 and phone was on the table with the game on live whilst I played the puggys for the 1st goal..

Did you win any thing on the puggy 

54 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Best put him on ignore. 

ah a known bullshitter ? Thank you 

gorgierulesapply88
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Did you win any thing on the puggy 

£41, on the win-fall deal or no deal game.

Back to doing the key things far better if you take Motherwell as being “only as good as your last game”…

I think Grant helped that with his clever play and running around the box that opened space up for others (opening goal in particular).  But generally, the sharpness and speed of play was miles better to a man.  

I think some Hearts fans miss the point that we are now despatching these teams the way we should at home.  Going back a couple of years you wondered where goals would come from and if we could keep them out aswell, grim times.  

Now, we deal much better with what the opposition throws at us. We are dealing better with being a “big game” for visiting sides. Maybe we can improve yet and we could play different ways but we are creating and scoring goals, how you get there doesn’t matter as long as you solve problems when they come. 

lost in space
8 hours ago, Rudolf said:

Best put him on ignore. 

Are you calling me a trumpet cos I have a brass neck, make a lot of noise and like being blown???

Anyway, you wont read this!!!

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Back to doing the key things far better if you take Motherwell as being “only as good as your last game”…

I think Grant helped that with his clever play and running around the box that opened space up for others (opening goal in particular).  But generally, the sharpness and speed of play was miles better to a man.  

I think some Hearts fans miss the point that we are now despatching these teams the way we should at home.  Going back a couple of years you wondered where goals would come from and if we could keep them out aswell, grim times.  

Now, we deal much better with what the opposition throws at us. We are dealing better with being a “big game” for visiting sides. Maybe we can improve yet and we could play different ways but we are creating and scoring goals, how you get there doesn’t matter as long as you solve problems when they come. 

👍 an important win and some good football in flashes. St J acquitted themselves well especially late in the first half, but overall we dominated.  Overall I enjoyed it yesterday. 

Just now, FJT said:

👍 an important win and some good football in flashes. St J acquitted themselves well especially late in the first half, but overall we dominated.  Overall I enjoyed it yesterday. 

That’s lots of overalls 🤣

15 minutes ago, FJT said:

That’s lots of overalls 🤣

I could do with a pair for work if you could spare a set from your post 😄

14 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I could do with a pair for work if you could spare a set from your post 😄

Be my guest 🤣 

overall a good win, Robbie got us out of a tights spot but there are a few culottes in our support 👀

Good result and it gets us back on track. Don't understand the negativity at times. We did what we had to do and won the game well. 

The only time we were under any pressure, as some others have referenced, is when we tried to play out from the back.

It's becoming a common ploy for teams coming to Tynecastle to immediately push players up the wings and centre when we have a goal kick.

It would be good to mix it up a bit at times at least when we are in danger of giving the ball away. They never passed through our lines once and all the chances they had was due to us losing the ball playing out from the back. 

Other than that we did more than enough to win the game 

16 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

:) 

Some fine play for the goals but the stadium announcer missed a sitter!

I was happy enough making my way out of the match but a wee sing-along would've topped it off.

How did Dexy's manage to find a photo of oor Gino back in 1980? Time travel? 🙃

Screenshot_20230305_103736_Google.jpg

Naisys Tackle
26 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Some fine play for the goals but the stadium announcer missed a sitter!

I was happy enough making my way out of the match but a wee sing-along would've topped it off.

How did Dexy's manage to find a photo of oor Gino back in 1980? Time travel? 🙃

Screenshot_20230305_103736_Google.jpg

:rofl: Morning buddy - tune! 

13 hours ago, lost in space said:

You probably do.

Everybody is happy.

2 deflected goals?? Obviously someone who wasn't at the game and got their 'expert' opinion from the numpty that did the bbc commentary

lost in space
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

2 deflected goals?? Obviously someone who wasn't at the game and got their 'expert' opinion from the numpty that did the bbc commentary

Was at game and saw goalie wrong footed for first goal. Not actually sure if 3rd goal was deflected or not - but it was a cross - not a shot.

Hearts deserved to win. 

Cameronstheman

Am i right, yer not wrong

We won 3-0 and some still moan, dont get it  at all

I really enjoyed the game yesterday

FTH

Watt-Zeefuik
On 04/03/2023 at 16:06, Armageddon said:

I thought we were shite today.

How can we have a thrown in 20 yards in their half and in 3 moves it’s back with the keeper?  Why do we pass it about at the back and panic to then thump it up, or concede a corner?

A deflection took the pressure right off.

Just watching the replay, and the first time I saw something like this was in the 14th minute. It was about 6 touches but yes, it ended up back with the keeper. Saints had fully overloaded their left side to press the throw in and there was no room to pass, so the ball cycled back to Clark, who sent it over to Kingsley.

That forced Saints to flatten out the defence Kingsley sent it back around the defence and eventually the ball ended up with Snodgrass back on the right but with far more space, who played it to Shanks at the top of the box, who in turn one-timed a chip to Smith for a dangerous volley that the keeper did well to save.

So moving it to Clark and Kingsley broke the press and resulted in a fine shot on goal. Is that what you're complaining about?

13 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Just watching the replay, and the first time I saw something like this was in the 14th minute. It was about 6 touches but yes, it ended up back with the keeper. Saints had fully overloaded their left side to press the throw in and there was no room to pass, so the ball cycled back to Clark, who sent it over to Kingsley.

That forced Saints to flatten out the defence Kingsley sent it back around the defence and eventually the ball ended up with Snodgrass back on the right but with far more space, who played it to Shanks at the top of the box, who in turn one-timed a chip to Smith for a dangerous volley that the keeper did well to save.

So moving it to Clark and Kingsley broke the press and resulted in a fine shot on goal. Is that what you're complaining about?

More comments based on something that actually happened?

Why do you keep doing that?

Desperate tactics.

14 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

🤣 🤣 🤣

Jambo in Bathgate
On 05/03/2023 at 13:14, lost in space said:

Was at game and saw goalie wrong footed for first goal. Not actually sure if 3rd goal was deflected or not - but it was a cross - not a shot.

Hearts deserved to win. 

It doesn’t matter how you score it’s still a goal. How many times have we been done by a slight nick? As for Grant’s goal the cross was perfect for on rushing forward. Their keeper was guarding the near post looking for a shot there. Grant put spin on the ball it landed and the bounce changed direction into the other side. Again I don’t think there was a deflection. 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

It doesn’t matter how you score it’s still a goal. How many times have we been done by a slight nick? As for Grant’s goal the cross was perfect for on rushing forward. Their keeper was guarding the near post looking for a shot there. Grant put spin on the ball it landed and the bounce changed direction into the other side. Again I don’t think there was a deflection. 

No deflection on Grant's goal, but it looked for all the world like an in-swinging cross that had some bonus spin on it. I don't think he meant it as a shot but in some ways it doesn't matter, because if it wasn't a shot he was very intentionally trying to drop it right in front of the goalmouth at the back post for Gino to run on to. Gino ran near post, I think thinking that Shanks or someone else was tucking in behind him, but no one did, and as a result it bounced into open space and tucked inside the far post. So a bit fluky, but it went in in part because it was such a fine cross into space.

EDIT: I meant to add that in addition to it being a good cross, the goal came after a good 90 seconds of us making runs into the box, a deep throw-in, a corner, and a couple of crosses. Sometimes it's enough to just put pressure on the box and see what happens.

image.png.3f592db8f8e20aeedf9c95e858b6a3e9.png

As for riding our luck, I'd say that not only did we create more clear chances and more shots on goal that Saints, our shots were much more dangerous. Most of their shots were pot shots from distance, including one very fine dipping drive that Clark had to tip over the bar, but ours were very cleverly worked plays like Smith's volley and several headers that went straight at the keeper, the kinds of plays you expect to turn into goals. Our two biggest let-offs were the blooper that ran across the goalmouth and Rowles' howling error that Kingsley had to clear, but in some ways those never turned into goals because they were fluky situations and not the result of sustained build-up play, so there was no Saints player on hand to bury them in the netting.

All that's to say, ups and downs and flukes and sitters, on the whole 3-0 might have flattered us a little but 2-0 or 3-1 would not have.

Edited by Led Tasso