What are we angry about this time?

I P Knightley

29 minutes ago, OTT said:

One thing that I would like to see improved is our attacking play, we seem to play too flat. Like, our build up play seems to consist almost exclusively of sideways passes. Against teams like Livi, St Mirren and Hamilton, where they're going to sit in, I'm not sure this is very effective. More forward passing and better movement from our forward players would probably help. But its not until someone like McKay gets on the ball that we really seem to try anything. 

One thing I really liked about Souttar was his ability to take the ball forward from defence, Sibbick can do it really well, but rarely seems to be given licence to do it, and too much of our play ends up flowing through Snodgrass. When he's closed down like against St Mirren we really struggle to get going. Cochranes ability to play cross field balls too is a huge threat against teams which would be nice to see more of. 

Its not supposed to be a scathing criticism, we're 3rd after all, so we're getting it right more than not. But like the first half against Dundee Utd when we play relying so heavily on sideways passes, its frustrating to watch and IMO there is scope for improvement.

That's our style, you should get used to it mate. There's a reason we do it, it's working well for us, and we're getting better and better at it.

When teams sit in, we try to draw them out to create space to play into, you can't play killer passes through a forest of legs.

This is why we're beating teams that sit in when we used to struggle to get results against them, it's a massive part of our success.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marvin

• Sooks

• Unknown user

• Wee Mikey

Top Posters In This Topic

pettigrewsstylist
48 minutes ago, OTT said:

One thing that I would like to see improved is our attacking play, we seem to play too flat. Like, our build up play seems to consist almost exclusively of sideways passes. Against teams like Livi, St Mirren and Hamilton, where they're going to sit in, I'm not sure this is very effective. More forward passing and better movement from our forward players would probably help. But its not until someone like McKay gets on the ball that we really seem to try anything. 

One thing I really liked about Souttar was his ability to take the ball forward from defence, Sibbick can do it really well, but rarely seems to be given licence to do it, and too much of our play ends up flowing through Snodgrass. When he's closed down like against St Mirren we really struggle to get going. Cochranes ability to play cross field balls too is a huge threat against teams which would be nice to see more of. 

Its not supposed to be a scathing criticism, we're 3rd after all, so we're getting it right more than not. But like the first half against Dundee Utd when we play relying so heavily on sideways passes, its frustrating to watch and IMO there is scope for improvement.

We are set on the formation and style if staff avaialable. It requires people comfortable in possesion with a good first touch to work properly tho. RWB is missing peice of jigsaw at mo. 

Just now, pettigrewsstylist said:

We are set on the formation and style if staff avaialable. It requires people comfortable in possesion with a good first touch to work properly tho. RWB is missing peice of jigsaw at mo. 

When we started playing this way, I remember thinking to myself it's grand enough, but the 2 touch zipping it about could be improved. We're showing more and more 1 touch zipping it about now.

We're definitely moving forward and improving.

pettigrewsstylist
9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

When we started playing this way, I remember thinking to myself it's grand enough, but the 2 touch zipping it about could be improved. We're showing more and more 1 touch zipping it about now.

We're definitely moving forward and improving.

Some of the best actual "football" ive seen in  45 yrs watching us. Atkinson first touch looked suspect on Fri, maybe thats what holding him back in trg,  maybe just nerves coming on. I do wonder how Boyce will do, coming back into this.

Bazzas right boot
18 hours ago, JamboBoy said:

Ginnelly never passing the ball to another Hearts player. He is an annoying arrogant wee s**t who must be so irritating to his team mates with his approach.  Secondly watching Barrie McKay putting in a tackle/challenge - absolutely pathetic sight!

Aye, Barry Mckay...well known his physicality, tackling and winning 50/50's.

It's what we want in a winger, forget this first touch, skinning players and scoring  belters nonsense. 

Scottish fitbaw fans...

Would moan that Messi doesn't get stuck in and win headers.

Tragic.

21 hours ago, JamboBoy said:

Ginnelly never passing the ball to another Hearts player. He is an annoying arrogant wee s**t who must be so irritating to his team mates with his approach.  Secondly watching Barrie McKay putting in a tackle/challenge - absolutely pathetic sight!

Weirdly I thought he was only passing to his mates ie Grant and Humphrey’s.

Few times Oda and Forrest  made good runs but Ginelly tried the impossible instead. 

Friday was his worst game for a while. 

pettigrewsstylist
21 hours ago, JamboBoy said:

BM would just get broken. I dont want him broken. Hope he keeps riding those 50/50s in no danger areas of pitch.

Think Ginos misdemeanour does suggest that but ive never met the guy so no idea if arrogant or not tbh. Seems to get on ok with teamates at FT easter rd. Think Gino has been asked to play RB twice recently.

36 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

BM would just get broken. I dont want him broken. Hope he keeps riding those 50/50s in no danger areas of pitch.

Think Ginos misdemeanour does suggest that but ive never met the guy so no idea if arrogant or not tbh. Seems to get on ok with teamates at FT easter rd. Think Gino has been asked to play RB twice recently.

Gino's one of the most popular guys in the changing room from what I've heard.