***Official Heart of Midlothian v Dundee United Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Important result in terms of not being too badly knocked by Wednesday. 
back 4 was when we looked far more comfortable and effective. 
refereeing was pathetic - so frustrating that there’s never any recourse afterwards. Really is a very poor reflection on our national game. 
well done to the team for turning that around so my son my dad and I went home very happy. Looking forward to (selectively - as I might not bother rewatching the first half 😬) watching the game back on tv. 
onwards - I’m back on the happy train😎

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Morgan

• King prawn

• Gmcjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lost in space

I have often criticised Neilson for boring football. Can't sat that today!!

Would anybody like to hazard a guess on our finishing formation???

2-5-2? (3-5-2 til Gino went off)??

It was a bit "off the cuff" and great to watch - BUT........

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

How the hell did we win that game?

As Robbie said we were really poor and didn’t really get going. The back three isn't working and it’s excruciating to watch. 

1 hour ago, longmalx said:

Really pleased for Cochrane though. After Kingsleys horror show midweek I was stunned Cochrane was dropped. 

Hopefully that will give him confidence to get forward a bit more - his finishing is pretty good!

Should never have happened, unless he needed a rest. Best player in the squad.

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, Gmcjambo said:

Eh?   I’m an ST with my daughter but we live 500 miles away.     Go when we can buy bloody expensive to fly now.   Use ticket exchange when not going.  My way of supporting the club.  No idea what your agenda is.  

Here we go, did you read my post? The exceptions noted? 

Agenda, back in your box son. 

Wtf is that Liam Fox all about saying it was a perfect tackle and he thought the same even after he watched it and there was no excessive force.If he watched it back he would have seen Hallidays leg and the state it made of it.

This is the trouble with refs they have allowed Utd to kick **** out of teams far too often without punishment that when they do get punished they feel aggrieved.

16 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Here we go, did you read my post? The exceptions noted? 

Agenda, back in your box son. 

😂.   I’ll just stick to the following truths. 

1) You love making assumptions about other posters to suit your own narrative.

2) You used ‘back in your box’ just 2 hours ago to another poster.  This shows you are condescending,  lack creativity, having limited language and in fact suffer from a limited intellect.

3) You have failed to put me ‘back in my box’.  It’s not possible to do that by replying to someone’s post, which is why you are now spending your time reading my comments about you. 
4)  I won’t hear from you or read your comments ever again.  I’ve put you on ignore.  This means you are now ‘back in your box’, permanently. 

5)  Your posting history shows that you lack emotional regulation.   The fact I’ve not given you the right of reply is really f’ing annoying you.   

Night night, son. 

jamboinglasgow

I do think this game is a good example of how our improved squad helps us. The subs made a big difference to this game and the quality brought on meant we could change things up when we have been poor first half and win the game.

Thunder and Lightning
14 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

😂.   I’ll just stick to the following truths. 

1) You love making assumptions about other posters to suit your own narrative.

2) You used ‘back in your box’ just 2 hours ago to another poster.  This shows you are condescending,  lack creativity, having limited language and in fact suffer from a limited intellect.

3) You have failed to put me ‘back in my box’.  It’s not possible to do that by replying to someone’s post, which is why you are now spending your time reading my comments about you. 
4)  I won’t hear from you or read your comments ever again.  I’ve put you on ignore.  This means you are now ‘back in your box’, permanently. 

5)  Your posting history shows that you lack emotional regulation.   The fact I’ve not given you the right of reply is really f’ing annoying you.   

Night night, son. 

You OK hun? 

lost in space

JKB can be hard work sometimes - and I think "why do I bother"?

Now I know some/most think "why DOES he bother - wish he wouldn't.

Days like this - reading all the posts - agreeing some and disagreeing some is great fun.

2 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

I actually timed one - in the first half - they wasted just short of 30 secs. 

That was a disgrace, that goalie must have wasted about 10mins the whole game doig  that. The Ginnelly red I can't blame Ginnelly for clapping as all he does was drop the ball for someone else to take the throw. Something that Utd had done the whole game.

I'm genuinely thinking about not saying anything at all during any game now, til the 90 mins are up.

You can talk about the red helping us out or whatever, but it's really only about winning the game . And whether we play well or not, since the world cup, we know how to win games.

2 hours ago, RobboM said:

I watch the clock too 😂

Thing is the World Cup showed the refs have it entirely in their power to deal with it. Just add time. Lots of it. Could easily have been 10 added minutes that second half

They can also book them. 30 seconds to take a goal kick is a complete and utter piss take. The ref can deal with it in the first instance by getting the keeper told straight away its not happening, and then book them thereafter. It won't happen a 3rd time. 

I was so happy to see Humps goal, because that was embarrassing for Birighitti. A wee bit of justice for being such a time wasting wank nearly the entire game. Never saw him move so fast when they went behind. Ridiculous. 

Think Walsh was broadly okay, but he dropped the ball big time with the time wasting. If its nipped in the bud straight away, then its not going to be a problem, the issue is he let it go completely unpunished by Utd for about an hour. Its this sort of inconsistency that pisses people off with Scottish referees. 

Edited by OTT

10 minutes ago, Philfigo said:

That was a disgrace, that goalie must have wasted about 10mins the whole game doig  that. The Ginnelly red I can't blame Ginnelly for clapping as all he does was drop the ball for someone else to take the throw. Something that Utd had done the whole game.

There was only one disgraceful red card today

I thought Robbie had lost it when he took both Hill & Rowles off but the added fire power up front and Grant's improved passing over Halliday got us back in the game. But  why oh why do we start off so slowly? Forrest was anonymous today and Mckay only started playing in the 2nd half. We are a good team when we play at speed unfortunately we don't do it often enough

PS United are thugs, that was their game plan to kick us off the park, same as all their recent games V us.

2 hours ago, longmalx said:

Kuol is clearly very raw - good work for the goal but it’s clear he’s miles from being a starter just now. 

That's why he's playing off the bench for us and not starting at Newcastle.  If his loan can be extended to all of next season, where he might play in several European games, he'll learn an enormous amount.

I'm sure the club and Newcastle have thought of that or they'd be negligent.   👌

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Wtf is that Liam Fox all about saying it was a perfect tackle and he thought the same even after he watched it and there was no excessive force.If he watched it back he would have seen Hallidays leg and the state it made of it.

This is the trouble with refs they have allowed Utd to kick **** out of teams far too often without punishment that when they do get punished they feel aggrieved.

He wasnt exactly a great player himself, he got Cowdenbeath relegated with the largest budget and Utd are going the same way. 
They were well worth their lead today and should’ve scored more, only to be let down by their Captain who is danger to his fellow professionals. 

SectionDJambo

Dundee United have caused us quite a few injuries recently by their reckless challenges. They had already had 2 players booked before the atrocious tackle by Edwards. He clearly wanted to leave something on Halliday, and did.

If that changed the game in our favour then that is the fault of Edwards and Dundee United.

As for the red card for us, Ginnelly was stupid to clap the referee but the original booking was ridiculous, especially when the time wasting of Dundee United when 1-0 up is remembered.

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

I thought Robbie had lost it when he took both Hill & Rowles off but the added fire power up front and Grant's improved passing over Halliday got us back in the game. But  why oh why do we start off so slowly? Forrest was anonymous today and Mckay only started playing in the 2nd half. We are a good team when we play at speed unfortunately we don't do it often enough

PS United are thugs, that was their game plan to kick us off the park, same as all their recent games V us.

McKay started playing better when he moved to his best position on the left wing in the 40th minute.
He should’ve replaced Hill earlier with Atkinson and took Kingsley rather than Rowles off who is now injured again. 

4 hours ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Great win in the end, with one of the best goals of all-time at Tynecastle, however that was another really poor performance.

Neilson has to stop tinkering and playing players out of position.

Agreed! Go back to a back 4 and play McKay wide left for starters!

i wish jj was my dad
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He wasnt exactly a great player himself, he got Cowdenbeath relegated with the largest budget and Utd are going the same way. 
They were well worth their lead today and should’ve scored more, only to be let down by their Captain who is danger to his fellow professionals. 

Cowdenbeath had the largest budget? Typically, they have had amongst the lowest. 

13 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Dundee United have caused us quite a few injuries recently by their reckless challenges. They had already had 2 players booked before the atrocious tackle by Edwards. He clearly wanted to leave something on Halliday, and did.

If that changed the game in our favour then that is the fault of Edwards and Dundee United.

As for the red card for us, Ginnelly was stupid to clap the referee but the original booking was ridiculous, especially when the time wasting of Dundee United when 1-0 up is remembered.

The DU keeper was at the whole game until we scored the second goal. Three times he kicked the ball up the park when we were seated a corner!

6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Playing McKay deep is a waste I agree what you have been saying tonight play him wide and he is dangerous for  the opposition to deal with.

First goal - what was the deal? Shanks offside from the cross but obviously Utd lad headed it to create new phase.  So why the 3 minute VAR check?

7 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

First goal - what was the deal? Shanks offside from the cross but obviously Utd lad headed it to create new phase.  So why the 3 minute VAR check?

I'm sure Hearts TV said arm didn't count? 

bobby bombscare

Great result today and I we will talk about that humphrys goal for years to come. 

Glad we beat them, the last 4 or 5 times we have played them, their game plan has been to kick us off the park and try to injure our players and it finally came back to bite them. I hope they go down!

However, I have to say that i liked the look of that number 7 that plays for them.. Niskenen or something? He has been good in all the games I have seen him play in and I think he is a right back, which is a position we need depth in!

33 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I am 100% this is the way for us to play when Snodgrass is in the team as he sit so deep. That's not a negative to Snodgrass as he is a class act. Just think with 4 at the back and the LB and RB getting forwards that means Snodgrass can be deep and almost make a back 3. Snodgrass passing is quality so this should work. Can Devlin or Grant play the AMC role if Snodgrass is in DMC. You could play Kingslay LB, Cochrane LW, Mckay RW. But who for RB Sibbick? He seems to like getting on the ball now and forwards so it could work. Hill and Rowles CBs. Shanks and Humphys up top or add pace with Ginnelly or Kuol based on who we are playing.

2 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

Great result today and I we will talk about that humphrys goal for years to come. 

Glad we beat them, the last 4 or 5 times we have played them, their game plan has been to kick us off the park and try to injure our players and it finally came back to bite them. I hope they go down!

However, I have to say that i liked the look of that number 7 that plays for them.. Niskenen or something? He has been good in all the games I have seen him play in and I think he is a right back, which is a position we need depth in!

He was playing on the left wasn't he? I thought he was decent too.

46 minutes ago, One five said:

I’ve never got involved with his posts tbh   after I suspected, I always sat on the fence but you are correct he never posted after we scored isn’t that …….😂 a Hearts supporter .. no chance.

How he is still on here is utterly baffling if not a disgrace 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Cowdenbeath had the largest budget? Typically, they have had amongst the lowest. 

In that division yes they did, the Uber Hun Donald Finlay bank rolled them. 

Pasquale for King

Hopefully thats the last time we play them for a few years until their new manager gets rid of the hammer throwers. What a shame for Fletcher and Mulgrew if they get relegated. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hopefully thats the last time we play them for a few years until their new manager gets rid of the hammer throwers. What a shame for Fletcher and Mulgrew if they get relegated. 

Fletcher...

ksZapF9.gif

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

:jjyay:

Actually ran away as soon as Shankland scored the first. 

We are dogs poo though :rofl:

Honestly, min...

Least he's not claiming to have been at the game today again. Perhaps there was a clash with an AGM that started at around 16:26 today? 

Iron brew *****

6 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Watching on Alba.

Is the commentator a Rangers fan?

Keeps talking about it being a hun a hun.

No idea who he supports, but I think he's from Sweden and has a second job as a chef! 

6 hours ago, Gizmo said:

What really grinds my beans is when refs add on time for time-wasting and then we suffer at 2-1 ahead because Utd cheated earlier, since it gives them incentive to push for an equaliser.

Gino was silly but that ref deserved it imo.

You should have heard the old boys I was beside today, they absolutely pelted the players to a man for most of the match, but fair to say they do give credit when we make a play - were absolutely buzzing at Guol's pace and speed of thought. 

My mate said at the game, about 15-20 minutes into the 2nd half, something along the lines of there's going to be a lot of time added on at the end of this game, and I replied that it'll only be the case if we've turned things around and are a goal up (half joking, half serious).

Tbf, if the ref doesn't add loads of time on, we don't get to enjoy Humphrys' tap-in! 😃

2 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

He wasn't offside, although it was very close. 3 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration. 

43 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

He wasn't offside, although it was very close. 3 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration. 

It’s was 3 mins and arms don’t count

• Moderators

Just a reminder that commenting on moderator actions is not allowed. If you want to discuss moderation, please PM us and we'll try to help.

We've had to remove several posters from the thread already. Please don't speculate on who has been removed and what they did to get themselves removed.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Having two United’s in the picture is all wrong for the song. 

Only two... I mean one United and that's a ****ing biscuit. 

🤕

7 hours ago, lost in space said:

JKB can be hard work sometimes - and I think "why do I bother"?

Now I know some/most think "why DOES he bother - wish he wouldn't.

Days like this - reading all the posts - agreeing some and disagreeing some is great fun.

My battery died on my phone after the game and I just switched it back on. Bliss.

15 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Was happy with the formation, but yet again I thought the problem was personnel.  Two elder statesman in midfield , one coming back from injury, against a team fighting for their lives.  Grant should’ve started, or at least Kio who he brought on v Rangers and at least showed fight and endeavour. (Even though I’m not a big fan)…..Forrest isn’t good enough either 

Snodgrass did more running in the first half than his younger team mates.

It’s really a matter of workrate imo.  We need put more energy and intent into our movements per player.  It all looks too relaxed and playing around in a ridged manner. So easy to defend against in that first half.  

Great comeback win in the end but it could only be that after a horrid first half.  

As for United…..put the boot in but it was amateur hour. It seems like the art of tackling is getting worse.  Running through the back of players heels without any control or balance, leaving their foot in and nicking players when the ball is away.  Call some of it the dark arts and I’m not against a hard, physical game but it’ was schoolboy quality tackling on many occasions. 

What annoys me most is that we make the same mistake every game. We insist that possession and building carefully from the back, which is fair enough, but we're not very good at it, do it too slowly, and in the wrong part of the pitch. Passing the ball back and forward in front of our own penalty box invites the opposition deep into our own half, and bingo, one mistake and they are in  on goal. There's a video of the first goal on this thread somewhere showing Hill defending, he fails to cut out the first pass across goal when he could have done much better, and then he's watching the action when Fletcher follows up. Hill was ok for most of the rest of the game but he was definitely out of his depth during that spell. That is down to the manager imo if he tries to play that way with players who can't keep possession. it's just far too risky.