Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Batistuta87

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 02/09/2023 at 15:11, BackOfTheNet said:

Stuart McKinstry is the only one I can think of, even then we’re well covered in that position

McKinstry would be a decent pickup if McKay is out long term. 

Quite a few interesting players released over the last couple of weeks too (MV's are all in keeping with the rest of our squad but obviously no idea about wages): 

Marco Benassi, CM, (Fiorentina) 

Nicolo Zanellato, AM, (SPAL)

Jack Simpson, CB, (Cardiff) (ex-Rangers)

Kasper Schmeichel, GK, (OGC Nice) - apparently was on really low wages

Carraca, RB, (Porto)

Charly Musonda, LW/RW, (Levante)

Luke Freeman, AM, (Luton)

Morgan Schneiderlin, CM, (Konyaspor) - was at WSW with Hof

Niko Schulz, RB/LB, (Dortmund)

Just about any one of those guys is an immediate improvement to our starting 11 really. 

SATF teasing Michael Smith returning.

Surely not? Fantastic servant of course but he was finished about 2-3 seasons ago 

Edit - missed a previous tweet of theirs. It’s a bam up!

Edited by Famous 1874

Smith would be fine as emergency back up just in case Offiah doesn't return up the road. I'd rather see Sibbick as first deputy to Atkinson though and there are better RB options that are free agents just now who could actually compete with Natty for the starting spot that I'd hope we at least sounded out. 

40 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

Smith would be fine as emergency back up just in case Offiah doesn't return up the road. I'd rather see Sibbick as first deputy to Atkinson though and there are better RB options that are free agents just now who could actually compete with Natty for the starting spot that I'd hope we at least sounded out. 

Shay Logan? 😂

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Quite a few interesting players released over the last couple of weeks too (MV's are all in keeping with the rest of our squad but obviously no idea about wages): 

Carraca, RB, (Porto)

Just about any one of those guys is an immediate improvement to our starting 11 really. 

Luke Freeman would be a good signing. 

IF Offiah is unable to return (feel terrible for him), then I would not be adverse to getting an out of contract RB is they’re decent enough. I would however leave the squad as is rather than take Smith back.

48 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Luke Freeman would be a good signing. 

Think so aye. Absolutely sold on the boy Zanellato who has just left SPAL over in Italy: 

Style of play:

– charismatic, creative and intelligent number ‘8’

– player with good body mass ratio, physical strength, power, stamina and natural fitness who feels comfortable in contact situations

– great combination of physical strength, technique and tactical expertise

– known for his first touch, vision, decision taking on the ball and passing ability providing dynamism the team’s build-up process

– plays well under pressure

– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals

– very strong mentally, physically and technically

– ability to supply killer passes

– high number of touches and passes per game

– excellent vision and ability to read the game

– constantly asking for the ball and often is an additional passing option

– often drops deeper and is involved in the buildup of plays

– very good in the air

– indirect set-piece threat

– finds himself best in positional attack

27 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

IF Offiah is unable to return (feel terrible for him), then I would not be adverse to getting an out of contract RB is they’re decent enough. I would however leave the squad as is rather than take Smith back.

Same. Sibbick would be better cover at RB than Smith, who was nearing retirement and struggling with injuries and stuff last year, never mind right now without having a pre season under his belt and without having played a competitive match for months. He'd be useless right now. Yet more clamour for ex players. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

Have the hotel fit out costs gone up so none left?

They forgot to order the beds

7 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Think so aye. Absolutely sold on the boy Zanellato who has just left SPAL over in Italy: 

Style of play:

– charismatic, creative and intelligent number ‘8’

– player with good body mass ratio, physical strength, power, stamina and natural fitness who feels comfortable in contact situations

– great combination of physical strength, technique and tactical expertise

– known for his first touch, vision, decision taking on the ball and passing ability providing dynamism the team’s build-up process

– plays well under pressure

– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals

– very strong mentally, physically and technically

– ability to supply killer passes

– high number of touches and passes per game

– excellent vision and ability to read the game

– constantly asking for the ball and often is an additional passing option

– often drops deeper and is involved in the buildup of plays

– very good in the air

– indirect set-piece threat

– finds himself best in positional attack

Same. Sibbick would be better cover at RB than Smith, who was nearing retirement and struggling with injuries and stuff last year, never mind right now without having a pre season under his belt and without having played a competitive match for months. He'd be useless right now. Yet more clamour for ex players. 

Sounds too good to be true, so probably is.

10 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Carraca, RB, (Porto)

Surprised you didn't list Fran Karačić. Croatian, just left Brescia and has been in the Aus national team. Would be a good choice for RB based on his highlight reel! 

27 minutes ago, OTT said:

Surprised you didn't list Fran Karačić. Croatian, just left Brescia and has been in the Aus national team. Would be a good choice for RB based on his highlight reel! 

I actually didn't realise who he was; just saw his name and skipped him assuming he was from Serbia or Slovakia or somewhere like that, which I know very little about and therefore wouldn't know if he was any good. Good shout though! Only seen him at the WC when he came in for Nate, but I seem to remember feeling bad for Nate because the boy done quite well and thought he might struggle to win his place back.

Edited by Batistuta87

15 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Do we actually have any money to sign anyone?

If Offiah is gone, surely we'll have his wages. Plus we have let go more players than we have signed so there must surely be some money left in the budget. I'd also say free agents will be easier to negotiate with. 

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

I actually didn't realise who he was; just saw his name and skipped him assuming he was from Serbia or Slovakia or somewhere like that, which I know very little about and therefore wouldn't know if he was any good. Good shout though! Only seen him at the WC when he came in for Nate, but I seem to remember feeling bad for Nate because the boy done quite well and thought he might struggle to win his place back.

Yeah, its just highlight reel stuff which can be a bit misleading. But I like the look of him. I would like to see us trying to use the eastern European markets more, Italian teams seem to make huge use of the Croatian/Serbian markets in particular. Plus with him being Aussie, there is a bit of a link to who else we have in the team.

Down side is that it puts Atkinsons place under threat, but we already intended to do that before the Handa deal fell through. 

Hopefully we look to get a couple of bodies in, because I'm a bit concerned with the squad as it is. @SMJ_1874 made some really good posts in the sporting director thread which has settled down my nerves a bit. But its worrying we're just going to have to deal with what we have until Savage and Naismith can get some bodies out. 

Smith was done last year and there was a reason he wasn't given a new contract, age and injuries catching up with him. If we are looking at the free market I'm sure there are better short term options out there. I would be prioritising a midfielder though, crying out for one and hopefully we are looking. I'm not holding my breath that we are though. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Yeah, its just highlight reel stuff which can be a bit misleading. But I like the look of him. I would like to see us trying to use the eastern European markets more, Italian teams seem to make huge use of the Croatian/Serbian markets in particular. Plus with him being Aussie, there is a bit of a link to who else we have in the team.

Down side is that it puts Atkinsons place under threat, but we already intended to do that before the Handa deal fell through. 

Hopefully we look to get a couple of bodies in, because I'm a bit concerned with the squad as it is. @SMJ_1874 made some really good posts in the sporting director thread which has settled down my nerves a bit. But its worrying we're just going to have to deal with what we have until Savage and Naismith can get some bodies out. 

I think we have stricter work permit rules 

Leveins Battalion
8 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Wonder if we could get Smith or Aidy White back to compete with Atkinson until January

Hopefully,or Juwon,Grezlak.

4 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Absolutely hypothetical I'm sure but could a team struggling to fill a position do so with someone from their ladies team ?

😁😁😁

7 hours ago, OTT said:

Pretty good shout. He's better than decent. 

41 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s a lot of free agents. Surely there’s a decent midfield all rounder in that lot that we can afford and would improve us.  

Josh Onomah was one that jumped out to me when I had a look on Transfermarkt. Apparently he had a trial with Stoke, was offered a contract but then for whatever reason it didn't materialise. 

He'd probably be a player we'd need to break the bank for though, and I wonder if the reason the stoke offer didn't go further was money related. He has spent a great deal of time at London clubs. 

Jeando Fuchs is the one I really want though. I think he could partner Devlin to great effect - but we'd need to wait till the winter window. Probably a name folk are getting tired of me shouting from the rooftops but its one of those signings that just makes sense. Proven in our league and we'd all have taken him before he joined Peterborough - now we have a chance to make that happen. One of those occassions where paying a transfer fee actually makes sense as again, unlike Kio, he's proven he can cope with the pace of the game here. 

colinmorewasgash
7 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Do we actually have any money to sign anyone?

No we need it for extra beds and curtains as misbudgeted again.

18 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Only just come across this post, and I know it might offend but heyho….what a ridiculous thing to say, poor guy has just a serious medical incident and certainly won’t be faking it to desert a sinking ship as your post refers too.

My anger at that comment is because a friend of mine just lost his 16 year old son recently after collapsing with a heart issue - your comment is way beyond banter on a forum. Maybe think before putting drivel to computer/mobile device in future.

17 minutes ago, OTT said:

Josh Onomah was one that jumped out to me when I had a look on Transfermarkt. Apparently he had a trial with Stoke, was offered a contract but then for whatever reason it didn't materialise. 

He'd probably be a player we'd need to break the bank for though, and I wonder if the reason the stoke offer didn't go further was money related. He has spent a great deal of time at London clubs. 

Jeando Fuchs is the one I really want though. I think he could partner Devlin to great effect - but we'd need to wait till the winter window. Probably a name folk are getting tired of me shouting from the rooftops but its one of those signings that just makes sense. Proven in our league and we'd all have taken him before he joined Peterborough - now we have a chance to make that happen. One of those occassions where paying a transfer fee actually makes sense as again, unlike Kio, he's proven he can cope with the pace of the game here. 

I’d like Fuchs. Read he’s injured just now but if fit and available he’d be a no brainer for January. 

17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’d like Fuchs. Read he’s injured just now but if fit and available he’d be a no brainer for January. 

Yep, was pointed out to me on one of my earlier tangents :D - He should be back around November time, which given the window opens in January should mean he will sharp enough to go straight into the team. Suppose the benefit is that with his contract up at the end of the season, Peterborough can't be unreasonable and hopefully there is already a relationship there from Grant & Kent. I'd say depth in midfield of Fuchs, Beni, Devlin, Haring & Denholm is exactly what we need. Ideally let Hof, Grant and Halliday go and the jobs a good 'un.

I don't think we can realistically finish 3rd by continually going for guys with no SPL experience. As far as no brainer transfers go, this seems about as good as it gets. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, OTT said:

Yep, was pointed out to me on one of my earlier tangents :D - He should be back around November time, which given the window opens in January should mean he will sharp enough to go straight into the team. Suppose the benefit is that with his contract up at the end of the season, Peterborough can't be unreasonable and hopefully there is already a relationship there from Grant & Kent. I'd say depth in midfield of Fuchs, Beni, Devlin, Haring & Denholm is exactly what we need. Ideally let Hof, Grant and Halliday go and the jobs a good 'un.

I don't think we can realistically finish 3rd by continually going for guys with no SPL experience. As far as no brainer transfers go, this seems about as good as it gets. 

Let Calem go?

On what basis?

2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Let Calem go?

On what basis?

TBH I don't care either way. I don't think he's going to make an impact with us, so whether he's here or not after the winter window is finished makes no odds with me. 

After Kio and Grant both failing we needed a midfielder to make an immediate impact. Now we're stuck with two midfielders in Devlin and Haring that can't find forward passes and its absolutely crippling us. 

By all means give him more time, as I said, don't care either way because the answer is a quality signing that can make an impact right now. 

3 hours ago, OTT said:

Why would you let Hof go? The boy has played a total of 59mins football in the league. Let's give him a bit more time before calling for him to be emptied eh.

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Why would you let Hof go? The boy has played a total of 59mins football in the league. Let's give him a bit more time before calling for him to be emptied eh.

I've responded above, Its not so much that I'm choking at the bit to let him go. Its more that after Kio and Grant, we really needed someone who could make an immediate impact, and I'm extremely doubtful that he's going to do that. St Johnstone he looked poor, and Partick he looked average, With other players like Haring, Djoum, Beni or Devlin there was something immediate to latch onto but with Hof, I've not seen anything yet. 

By all means keep him, its not a hill I'm dying on. Just not holding out hope that we have some sort of gem on our hands. 

kingantti1874
27 minutes ago, OTT said:

TBH I don't care either way. I don't think he's going to make an impact with us, so whether he's here or not after the winter window is finished makes no odds with me. 

After Kio and Grant both failing we needed a midfielder to make an immediate impact. Now we're stuck with two midfielders in Devlin and Haring that can't find forward passes and its absolutely crippling us. 

By all means give him more time, as I said, don't care either way because the answer is a quality signing that can make an impact right now. 

Boys played about 120 mins of football.  In the second 60 he was pretty decent.

I’ll play the ball and not the man.  Views like this are absolutely WANK . Total ****ing nonsense, embarrassing nonsense

Edited by kingantti1874

Lord Beni of Gorgie
29 minutes ago, OTT said:

Boy looks a very decent player, had some wee niggle be mental to dismiss him 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’ll play the ball and not the man.  Views like this are absolutely WANK . Total ****ing nonsense, embarrassing nonsense

Totally agree, think folk are imploding 

9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We'll see how things go with him, but after Kio and Grant, I'm really not holding out hope. 

I'm hoping it gets rubbed in my face if he turns out to be a world beater. But not holding out much hope. Think generally speaking you can see what a player has to offer fairly quick. 

Don't see the point in lying to myself about what I'm seeing. 

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, OTT said:

We'll see how things go with him, but after Kio and Grant, I'm really not holding out hope. 

I'm hoping it gets rubbed in my face if he turns out to be a world beater. But not holding out much hope. Think generally speaking you can see what a player has to offer fairly quick. 

Don't see the point in lying to myself about what I'm seeing. 

It’s not about rubbing it in your face.  These type of views  are a symptom on the problem with our whole support.

120 mins after moving across the world And we have a significant number declaring him shite. After he actually played pretty decent . And he did play decent.   I don’t get the kio : grant comparison either.  Maybe he will be at the same level as beni? Probably not but at our level (which is really bargain basement) we cannot guarantee players. There will be hits and misses

I’ve no idea what that is or where this kind of view comes from tbh. Even if he was bad there are countless examples of top players who’ve stuggled initially.  Hearts legends amongst them

Annoying as **** 

Edited by kingantti1874

53 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Ridiculous even for JKB. 

Give the boy an hour at least! 

22 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

He looks a like a brilliant footballer. You don't go from your stats being out of the park in the A-League to being not good enough to play in Scotland. 

I think he just needs time to settle in.