*** Hearts Summer Transfer Thread*** Offiah signs on loan

Selkirkhmfc1874

13 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Which he was good in.  I’m not seeing the overwhelming for or against evidence to have him written down as a certain starter or bang to rights as not good enough?

If anything, I’d say the positives edge more slightly in favour for a player who wasn’t allowed any extended run in the team.  I’ve not checked but I’m sure he was taken out the side after scoring in the win v Dundee Utd and I don’t know how his sequence of games fell in his 10 starts?

I can’t see how he wasn’t justified due to form when he wasn’t given any chances to settle?

Loads of players coming into a side need to earn their place. He’s had maybe a handful of games where he’s been decent out of 30 +. Normally he’s totally ineffective defensively and doesn’t produce anything in attack. The game simple passes him by.

• Replies 36.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Batistuta87

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Harvey white went to Stevenage

Doubt we were ever interested, just a social media post including clubs whose fans are looking for their club to do something I would imagine

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The folk who look stupid on here are always the ones who resort to insults. Clear lack of intelligence and inability to debate or discuss a topic like an adult. 

Yes you don't insult people do you. You're one of the worst on here for it, complete lack of self awareness.

1 hour ago, FJT said:

I think you’re right re walker!  Indicative of our current situation that it’s even mentioned don’t you think? 
We seem to have had very few in recent years who are genuinely attacking mids. 
With hindsight seems like over reliance on uncertain/precarious situations with specific players. 
re devlin, I love his tenacity, if all players bust a gut and closed others down in the same way we’d be in better shape. He breaks up play well but his passing can sometimes let him down and he often turns backwards or sideways to pass. We need someone who can drive forward and thread incisive passes forwards… hopefully the club are working on it🤞

Definitely 👍

8 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Yes you don't insult people do you. You're one of the worst on here for it, complete lack of self awareness.

IMG_7243.thumb.webp.30917ac854123567d2984b5f0de03ff0.webp

Drylaw Hearts
1 hour ago, FJT said:

Kent looks like a solid player. Vargas promising. Others like Tagawa, Offiah, too early to say imo. We’ll see

Kent is no doubt looking a good addition……but with poor defenders around him it’s hardly made us all that stronger.

Vargas is promising but that’s about all it is atm. We needed someone to come in and add goals and it looks like we are going to solely reliant on Shankland scoring our goals.

Leaving signings until so late in window has probably not helped…..the new guys got no time to gel.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Loads of players coming into a side need to earn their place. He’s had maybe a handful of games where he’s been decent out of 30 +. Normally he’s totally ineffective defensively and doesn’t produce anything in attack. The game simple passes him by.

I get you don’t like him but I can’t see that.  There’s circumstances behind why he can’t get into a stride.   I’ve seen games he’s not been hugely influential but it’s rare because he hardly gets a start…..Also remember him coming on to create the third v Hibs with a nice turn and pass for Humphrys.   

There’s plenty tid bits from Grant to show he’s got ability.  Plenty other players keep getting games without doing anything effective and right now our midfield is struggling for a football brain.  

24 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Kent is no doubt looking a good addition……but with poor defenders around him it’s hardly made us all that stronger.

Vargas is promising but that’s about all it is atm. We needed someone to come in and add goals and it looks like we are going to solely reliant on Shankland scoring our goals.

Leaving signings until so late in window has probably not helped…..the new guys got no time to gel.

Yeah all fair points.
 I have no idea how difficult it is to get signings over the line though. My guess is it can be hard to wrap it up early if players are in demand elsewhere 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Do you think we’ll go to the out of contract market this year? I’m not so sure we will to be honest. We’ve got three over the last two summer windows though, so who knows.

I’d be surprised if we are not looking closely. If there’s someone there that Naismith fancies who knows. There’s certainly plenty to choose from. 

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’d be surprised if we are not looking closely. If there’s someone there that Naismith fancies who knows. There’s certainly plenty to choose from. 

We do seem to have a type though, when it comes to such signings. Either already based in Scotland (Clark) or looking to come back to Scotland and be near friends and family (McKay, Snodgrass). Can’t think of any that fit that bill off the top of my head.

8 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What was Levein doing as a job in January 2020?

Forgot about his advisory role! Is it confirmed that he was involved in the transfer? Stendel was managing down south, and our scouting set up would have been aware of him of course.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

I get you don’t like him but I can’t see that.  There’s circumstances behind why he can’t get into a stride.   I’ve seen games he’s not been hugely influential but it’s rare because he hardly gets a start…..Also remember him coming on to create the third v Hibs with a nice turn and pass for Humphrys.   

There’s plenty tid bits from Grant to show he’s got ability.  Plenty other players keep getting games without doing anything effective and right now our midfield is struggling for a football brain.  

It’s not a case of liking him or not. He just doesn’t do enough often enough. Maybe I’m being harsh and he needs a run in the side but despite what you’re saying he’s been really poor most of the times he’s played, he’s not exactly competing with fantastic players for a place yet despite Beni being injured he’s failed to get himself selected regularly and if he was to get a run of games I think he’d fail again.  

15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s not a case of liking him or not. He just doesn’t do enough often enough. Maybe I’m being harsh and he needs a run in the side but despite what you’re saying he’s been really poor most of the times he’s played, he’s not exactly competing with fantastic players for a place yet despite Beni being injured he’s failed to get himself selected regularly and if he was to get a run of games I think he’d fail again.  

Exact same of Barrie McKay imo. 

35 minutes ago, TommyC said:

Forgot about his advisory role! Is it confirmed that he was involved in the transfer? Stendel was managing down south, and our scouting set up would have been aware of him of course.

Levein signed Boyce  Just like he signed Gordon. 

Edited by soonbe110

54 minutes ago, TommyC said:

It’s pretty well documented we were interested in Boyce before Stendel came in, but I recall from that BBC documentary Stendel giving flowers to the admin staff that helped get it done after we beat Rangers 2-1.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I do like Kent. He is a solid defender. But we haven’t unearthed a diamond.

We could and should have signed a player exactly like him last summer and at the latest last January. Those sort of defenders really are 10 a penny. 

The fact that he arrived 2 windows later than needed isn’t really a plus point for recruitment.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

2 hours ago, FJT said:

Yeah all fair points.
 I have no idea how difficult it is to get signings over the line though. My guess is it can be hard to wrap it up early if players are in demand elsewhere 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Especially during the shortest close season since the great close season shortage of '42.

2 hours ago, TommyC said:

Was mentioned in an interview with Jon Daly. They had apparently tried to get him during the summer...

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, TommyC said:

No it’s never been confirmed anywhere and is a figment of some CL/RN fan boys imagination. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We could and should have signed a player exactly like him last summer and at the latest last January. Those sort of defenders really are 10 a penny. 

The fact that he arrived 2 windows later than needed isn’t really a plus point for recruitment.

Only if the manager asks for that type, he hasn’t said he wanted it so we fan only assume he didn’t. 

Tom Rogic, Jack Fitzwater and Steven Caulker are all free agents. I'm sure all 3 would improve our squad. I know fitness may be an issue but with an international break coming up it could give us maybe a month to get them up to some sort of match fitness. 

ooh-aah-cantona

I think we’ll make use of the free agent market if we can get the right player(s) in.

It all depends on what we’re looking for; for example, we could sign an experienced central midfielder like Morgan Schneiderlin - who coincidently played alongside Calem Nieuwenhof last season in the Western Sydney Wanderers engine room. 

Or we could go for another project/prospect like 21 year old French midfielder Noah Diliberto, formerly of Valenciennes from France’s League 2. 

He looks like a proper box to box midfielder and someone I now would like is to scout further after I stumbled across his YouTube highlight reel. 😅

6 hours ago, GinRummy said:

In your own words.....he's not exactly competing with fantastic players.....and they get games/ chances time after time!!! Yet he's in/ out but mainly out!

4 hours ago, Weonly151 said:

Tom Rogic, Jack Fitzwater and Steven Caulker are all free agents. I'm sure all 3 would improve our squad. I know fitness may be an issue but with an international break coming up it could give us maybe a month to get them up to some sort of match fitness. 

Would take any of those 3, but if I could only have 2 then it would be Fitzwater and Rogic.

Ricardo Quaresma
15 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Hard to say the reasons. Could just be they decided to hang on to him until January because of injuries.  

That seems to be the case, otherwise his suitors got someone else in

Ricardo Quaresma
17 hours ago, Sooks said:

I think we are all just a wee bit traumatised from waiting for our best players to return from injury still . A bit of psychological self preservation at play when it comes to our current midfielders . Beni being basically completely written off , and Hoff not even being considered when it comes to being the midfielder we all want . Totally understandable and natural to be fair 

I think there's a lot more traumatisation than that Sooks :lol:

15 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Do you think we’ll go to the out of contract market this year? I’m not so sure we will to be honest. We’ve got three over the last two summer windows though, so who knows.

1, minimum, just because we have last two years but they'll have to fit

14 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

What Kingantti is effectively saying is that without our injuries at season we wouldn’t have needed a new manager 😂

That's too incoherent and I can't tell if you mean this season or last

14 hours ago, FJT said:

Yeah all fair points.

I think there were lengthy unnecessary delays but how many and how lengthy I have no idea

11 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Snide shot in there, ten-a-penny, snide; I disagree anyway, players like Frankie are usually bound to a large contract like Jimmy Dunne

Bad dog again, gonna have to get the gifs out soon

8 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

In your own words.....he's not exactly competing with fantastic players.....and they get games/ chances time after time!!! Yet he's in/ out but mainly out!

I think it’s entirely fair he’s been mainly out based on how he’s played. That’s my whole point 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I think it’s entirely fair he’s been mainly out based on how he’s played. That’s my whole point 

No your whole point is the others haven't delivered but been given runs, repeatedly!

When has he actually had a run? I'm not defending him....but even you said the others were shite! We all see it except those paying the wages! We just supply the money!

It is quite incredible that our management ignore blatant areas of concern year after year!

17 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

No your whole point is the others haven't delivered but been given runs, repeatedly!

When has he actually had a run? I'm not defending him....but even you said the others were shite! We all see it except those paying the wages! We just supply the money!

It is quite incredible that our management ignore blatant areas of concern year after year!

No I’ve just checked my posts and I didn’t say that at all. He featured 30 odd times last season and was poor for the vast majority of those appearances. The fact that he hasn’t managed to force his way into the side despite other mediocre options being preferred says a lot about him. 

I did say maybe I’m wrong and he needs a run in the side but I personally don’t think it’s worth it and he’d just fail again. 

I’m as pissed off at the state of our midfield as anyone and even more pissed off we didn’t sign someone late in the window but Grant isn’t the answer in a two man midfield and we have better options out wide and forward so I just don’t see a place for him and believe the only reason he’s still here is that Beni, Haring and Nieuwenhof are injured.  

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

No I’ve just checked my posts and I didn’t say that at all. He featured 30 odd times last season and was poor for the vast majority of those appearances. The fact that he hasn’t managed to force his way into the side despite other mediocre options being preferred says a lot about him. 

I did say maybe I’m wrong and he needs a run in the side but I personally don’t think it’s worth it and he’d just fail again. 

I’m as pissed off at the state of our midfield as anyone and even more pissed off we didn’t sign someone late in the window but Grant isn’t the answer in a two man midfield and we have better options out wide and forward so I just don’t see a place for him and believe the only reason he’s still here is that Beni, Haring and Nieuwenhof are injured.  

The 2 man midfield is a proven failure end of! The fact we signed 3 whippets up front and can't feed them derives from the missing midfield. They are posted so missing we don't help the defence either. Pick any 2 it doesn't work..picking on Grant is a waste of time....you could choose any of them. We are stuck with him, might as well find out if he can do anything!

Stupid Sexy Flanders
13 hours ago, Weonly151 said:

I looked him up to find out where he's been playing of late, he's had quite a weird career when you look at it. 😄

1 hour ago, Jambo61 said:

The 2 man midfield is a proven failure end of! The fact we signed 3 whippets up front and can't feed them derives from the missing midfield. They are posted so missing we don't help the defence either. Pick any 2 it doesn't work..picking on Grant is a waste of time....you could choose any of them. We are stuck with him, might as well find out if he can do anything!

It worked when it  Beni and Devlin but I agree we need to change things. If Grant is part of a new set up them I’ve no issue but I do think we have better attacking players , sticking him in beside Devlin or Haring or Halliday just won’t work. 

37 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

I looked him up to find out where he's been playing of late, he's had quite a weird career when you look at it. 😄

Yeah definitely. But he's always seemed to have played at a decent level

42 minutes ago, middie101 said:

Right whos got a list of free agents.

Desperately need some more creativity in midfield from a central position. 

We are crying out for a midfielder that can actually retain possession and pass it forward. Everyone else is far to slow on and off the ball. 

Pasquale for King
23 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It worked when it  Beni and Devlin but I agree we need to change things. If Grant is part of a new set up them I’ve no issue but I do think we have better attacking players , sticking him in beside Devlin or Haring or Halliday just won’t work. 

I think your idea of a 3 man midfield might be the way forward, our best performance last season was Zurich at home with Devlin centre, Grant to the right and Boyce left of them. 
SN doesn’t seem to like that though but one defensive player with Lowry and Grant should see the front three of Shankland and either Tagawa/Oda/Vargas would be much better for me..

Pasquale for King
On 03/09/2023 at 09:48, Jambo61 said:

Spot on

On 02/09/2023 at 22:01, ooh-aah-cantona said:

I think we’ll make use of the free agent market if we can get the right player(s) in.

It all depends on what we’re looking for; for example, we could sign an experienced central midfielder like Morgan Schneiderlin - who coincidently played alongside Calem Nieuwenhof last season in the Western Sydney Wanderers engine room. 

Or we could go for another project/prospect like 21 year old French midfielder Noah Diliberto, formerly of Valenciennes from France’s League 2. 

He looks like a proper box to box midfielder and someone I now would like is to scout further after I stumbled across his YouTube highlight reel. 😅

Josh Onomah is still without a club. He might be looking at bigger clubs than us, but who knows. Would be a brilliant signing.

8 hours ago, middie101 said:

Right whos got a list of free agents.

Desperately need some more creativity in midfield from a central position. 

We missed out on Christian Tue Jensen.

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Please don't allow this regime spend a penny more.

Have the hotel fit out costs gone up so none left?

2 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Have the hotel fit out costs gone up so none left?

Yep someone forgot to order the beds