*** Hearts Summer Transfer Thread*** Offiah signs on loan

Selkirkhmfc1874

If Eden hazard ends up at a Scottish club that’s not Rangers or Celtic then I’ll be in utter disbelief 😂 injuries or not the guy was one of the worlds top players not so long ago, would be an absolutely outrageous signing for anyone 

• Replies 36.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Batistuta87

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The White Cockade

I’d be starting Grant in midfield before Denholm

Creative player and a bit of dig about him

Not really worked out for him so far but we need some kind of spark in midfield playing alongside Cammy and think he’s worth a few games to see what he’s got 

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

For me Nieuwenhof will come good, just got a hunch on that one. And Devlin and Haring as a pairing is more than good enough for our level. We just need the right XI to be out there and clicking on each game day.

Feel the same👍

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

I actually disagree, give him a wee run in the 10 position ahead of Boyce (let Boyce come on later) and I think with the better players we have on the wings now, he could do alright. He’s never really been allowed a go in a proper 10 role, he’s usually in a 3 man midfield as is deeper.

Maybe in some games, but if Grant plays #10 then Shankland becomes a lone striker, which I don't like. I much prefer Shankland and Boyce dovetailing or one of them playing alongside a quick forward.

I also don't see Grant offering much of a goal threat so we begin to look a bit powderpuff when he's involved in the front 4.

Meanwhile we've got a problem in CM which is players not taking the ball off the defence, turning and supplying the forwards. Grant is at least worth a run in that role.

In the Zurich home game last season we had Devlin sitting deep while Grant got forward to support the front 4 of McKay, Boyce, Shankland and Forrest. That could also be a blueprint worth revisiting.

9 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

I’d be starting Grant in midfield before Denholm

Creative player and a bit of dig about him

Not really worked out for him so far but we need some kind of spark in midfield playing alongside Cammy and think he’s worth a few games to see what he’s got 

30 odd times he featured last season and he was mostly poor. How many games until we decide he isn’t good enough at centre mid? 50? 60?

the original dalry llama
14 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

Let's ask our man from Tibet for his opinion @the original dalry llama

Your thoughts please Your Eminence?

If there is one topic that is sure to derail blind Tibetan monks from their ongoing theological debates it is our failure to sign a creative CM. Many of them will happily offer up opinions on a wide range of subjects relating to God, the universe and the nature of mankind. All fall strangely silent whenever the topic of the lack of a creative CM in EH11 is raised.

21 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Again,  completely unconvincing. Less is more, sometimes.

🙄 You can be a condescending so and so! 

fwiw I think he’s right about Atkinson -  he’s been one of our better performers. Dundee game being the most obvious example. Kent has been a positive addition. Rowles form has taken a nosedive and I’d bench him tomorrow.
playing non midfielders in that position hasn’t worked, but I still think it’s fixable. Tempo and selection needs sorted. 
A win tomorrow would give the club a necessary boost. 

south morocco
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

30 odd times he featured last season and he was mostly poor. How many games until we decide he isn’t good enough at centre mid? 50? 60?

Shows how limited our options are really. Can he do any worse? Is Haring or any of the other casualties available for tomorrow? 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think they have already decisded he is not good enough by his lack of games.

He was not even selected for the European squad which must be demoralising for him as a player.

I was fully expecting him to leave before the deadline last night but he is still with us.

So what does that tell us? There was no interest from other clubs which is hard to believe as there were a number of articles suggesting both Grant and Sibbick were attracting interest from down south.

I hope he is not one of those players who is just happy to sit back and collect his pay cheque every month warming the bench with no real desire to play.

1 minute ago, south morocco said:

Shows how limited our options are really. Can he do any worse? Is Haring or any of the other casualties available for tomorrow? 

Not heard any injury updates. If I’m honest I’d rather just play Denholm, he might be good enough one day but Grant is finished at Hearts imo. 

Cue Jorge starting tomorrow and playing a blinder.  

Just now, wavydavy said:

He was not even selected for the European squad which must be demoralising for him as a player.

I was fully expecting him to leave before the deadline last night but he is still with us.

So what does that tell us? There was no interest from other clubs which is hard to believe as there were a number of articles suggesting both Grant and Sibbick were attracting interest from down south.

I hope he is not one of those players who is just happy to sit back and collect his pay cheque every month warming the bench with no real desire to play.

Hard to say the reasons. Could just be they decided to hang on to him until January because of injuries.  

10 minutes ago, FJT said:

🙄 You can be a condescending so and so! 

fwiw I think he’s right about Atkinson -  he’s been one of our better performers. Dundee game being the most obvious example. Kent has been a positive addition. Rowles form has taken a nosedive and I’d bench him tomorrow.
playing non midfielders in that position hasn’t worked, but I still think it’s fixable. Tempo and selection needs sorted. 
A win tomorrow would give the club a necessary boost. 

Do you not think he's looked better as we've not played any decent attacking teams? To me the first half decent team we played, he was back to his worst. Not sure why anyone thinks there aren't questions over most areas of the squad? On Thursday did we look well equipped to play either Old Firm team in a one off game? 

Edited by Mr Elwood P

39 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Again,  completely unconvincing. Less is more, sometimes.

See, that’s when I know I’m doing things right, when you resort to pithy insults. Never play poker.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

See, that’s when I know I’m doing things right, when you resort to pithy insults. Never play poker.

You aren't doing anything right. Half an eye on the games this season would tell you we've played poor teams. We then play a decent PAOK team and have been massively found out. I'm not sure why you're arguing against question marks over the squad. There's absolutely no evidence to support the squad being perfect. 4 points from 9 conclusively tells you that.

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Do you not think he's looked better as we've not played any decent attacking teams? To me the first half decent team we played, he was back to his worst. Not sure why anyone thinks there aren't questions over most areas of the squad? On Thursday did we look well equipped to play either Old Firm team in a one off game? 

Did I say there aren’t questions about the squad? No. 
Fact is, tomorrow we have to try to do the best with what we have and Atkinson isn’t our main difficulty in my view. In fact he’s been (comparably) an asset in some circumstances. 

I think we are all just a wee bit traumatised from waiting for our best players to return from injury still . A bit of psychological self preservation at play when it comes to our current midfielders . Beni being basically completely written off , and Hoff not even being considered when it comes to being the midfielder we all want . Totally understandable and natural to be fair 

You aren't doing anything right. Half an eye on the games this season would tell you we've played poor teams. We then play a decent PAOK team and have been massively found out. I'm not sure why you're arguing against question marks over the squad. There's absolutely no evidence to support the squad being perfect. 4 points from 9 conclusively tells you that.

I am doing things right, you’re evidently not reading my posts because your concentration levels can’t go beyond a paragraph.

I have never once argued against the squad being questioned, all I have done is offer counter arguments to the overreaction over the squad. And I’ve intimated that people demanding a signing to “fix” what is currently hopefully a temporary issue is being over dramatic. You’re calling for us react to a bad August, I’m simply saying let’s wait and see a bit before overreacting.

I know you’re used to going all in one way or another (cough, Neilson, cough) but I’m more inclined to see everything in context and wait until at least a handful of league games played before I call for wholesale changes to what looks on paper a good squad.

And here’s another sentence. And another paragraph, just for you. Now come back at me with a flippant put down and a counter argument that shows you haven’t actually read a word I said. Like you always do.

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I am doing things right, you’re evidently not reading my posts because your concentration levels can’t go beyond a paragraph.

I have never once argued against the squad being questioned, all I have done is offer counter arguments to the overreaction over the squad. And I’ve intimated that people demanding a signing to “fix” what is currently hopefully a temporary issue is being over dramatic. You’re calling for us react to a bad August, I’m simply saying let’s wait and see a bit before overreacting.

I know you’re used to going all in one way or another (cough, Neilson, cough) but I’m more inclined to see everything in context and wait until at least a handful of league games played before I call for wholesale changes to what looks on paper a good squad.

And here’s another sentence. And another paragraph, just for you. Now come back at me with a flippant put down and a counter argument that shows you haven’t actually read a word I said. Like you always do.

90% of my job is reading and understanding text. That point was about as astute as your appraisal of our squad!

I am not in anyway overreacting. My  point was simply that question marks hang all over the squad: right back, left centre back, midfield and forward areas. You apparently aren't arguing against that? That begs the question, what is your actual point?

10 minutes ago, FJT said:

Did I say there aren’t questions about the squad? No. 
Fact is, tomorrow we have to try to do the best with what we have and Atkinson isn’t our main difficulty in my view. In fact he’s been (comparably) an asset in some circumstances. 

That was the point being discussed.

34 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He got 10 starts in the league.  

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

90% of my job is reading and understanding text. That point was about as astute as your appraisal of our squad!

I am not in anyway overreacting. My  point was simply that question marks hang all over the squad: right back, left centre back, midfield and forward areas. You apparently aren't arguing against that? That begs the question, what is your actual point?

My point is that although there’s question marks, people are overreacting to it. It’s not that difficult. I’ve said it almost every post.

Me counteracting to people writing off players left, right and centre and then saying we needed new players to be any good is simply me just partaking in the discussing asking for a bit of calm. It’s not defending the performances so far, or arguing against the squad being selected. Some take umbrage to that for some reason.

5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That was the point being discussed.

🤣 🤣so superior  … may we all bow down to your textual interpretative prowess… err, Nope
Anyway, I don’t think anyone on the planet would say our squad is perfect, but there are valid points to make about making the best of what we have imo

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

My point is that although there’s question marks, people are overreacting to it. It’s not that difficult. I’ve said it almost every post.

Me counteracting to people writing off players left, right and centre and then saying we needed new players to be any good is simply me just partaking in the discussing asking for a bit of calm. It’s not defending the performances so far, or arguing against the squad being selected. Some take umbrage to that for some reason.

Why did you react to me saying the squad has question marks over it then? I'm not saying get rid or write players off. Simply a lot of the same issues persist. We're not very good defensively against better teams, we've lost Gino and now we currently don't have a midfield partner for Devlin.

Is this the best condition the squad could be in after a 3 month transfer window? To me, the answer is most definitely no.

2 minutes ago, FJT said:

🤣 🤣so superior  … may we all bow down to your textual interpretative prowess… err, Nope
Anyway, I don’t think anyone on the planet would say our squad is perfect, but there are valid points to make about making the best of what we have imo

I'm glad you interrupted the debate to check my ego! The only option is to make the best of the squad we now have. My point is we could have been a lot  better prepared for the season ahead.

24 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The guy has previous. Genuinely doesn't read things properly, at all.

Why did you react to me saying the squad has question marks over it then? I'm not saying get rid or write players off. Simply a lot of the same issues persist. We're not very good defensively against better teams, we've lost Gino and now we currently don't have a midfield partner for Devlin.

Is this the best condition the squad could be in after a 3 month transfer window? To me, the answer is most definitely no.

I didn’t react to anything. You took part in a discussion and so did I.  You took umbrage at someone you perceived to be disagreeing with you. When all it was was two people having a discussion about a topic. The animosity started with you.

It’s of course not the best condition the squad could be in after a three month window. Because of injuries. Is this a better squad when all fit than we’ve had the last two seasons? I’d say very much so, yes.

22 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Feel sorry for your employer! You must have some dirt on them.

Midfield is my biggest concern. Get the impression the club were relying heavily upon Beni coming back and making an impression immediately. Disappointing it didn’t work out that way but hopefully he’ll manage to do that soon. Haring out so quickly again too. Maybe too many eggs put in fragile baskets so to speak? Re what to do about it, putting defenders in midfield clearly didn’t work 

6 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I didn’t react to anything. You took part in a discussion and so did I.  You took umbrage at someone you perceived to be disagreeing with you. When all it was was two people having a discussion about a topic. The animosity started with you.

It’s of course not the best condition the squad could be in after a three month window. Because of injuries. Is this a better squad when all fit than we’ve had the last two seasons? I’d say very much so, yes.

Where was the animosity?

5 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Feel sorry for your employer! You must have some dirt on them.

Don't you start. 

28 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

He got 10 starts in the league.  

He featured in Europe and the cup as well. He probably shouldn’t have got as many as ten league starts based on form. He’s had plenty opportunities from the bench. 

If we play him in a different position other than part of a midfield two I’m more than happy to see how he does but he can’t play that position and I think that’s been shown and fwiw I think we have better options further up the pitch and wide. 

Folk suggesting he partner Devlin tomorrow are nuts. 

Edited by GinRummy

5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I'm glad you interrupted the debate to check my ego! The only option is to make the best of the squad we now have. My point is we could have been a lot  better prepared for the season ahead.

I’m not sure your ego would be dented by such checks 😁 it’s pretty solid from what I can gather! Interrupted though? If you two want a private chat then you can have it elsewhere 😆 think I’m free to fire in whenever I like thanks 😘 

Yes, re making the best of what we have., and there’s debate to be had about what shape that takes 

56 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Think it tells us we are paying him way too much. And will be for  another 21 months in all probability. 

Just now, FJT said:

Midfield is my biggest concern. Get the impression the club were relying heavily upon Beni coming back and making an impression immediately. Disappointing it didn’t work out that way but hopefully he’ll manage to do that soon. Haring out so quickly again too. Maybe too many eggs put in fragile baskets so to speak? Re what to do about it, putting defenders in midfield clearly didn’t work 

Think midfield is everyone's concern, bar our management team. I agree they were relying on Beni, but even if he was fit we shouldn't also have to rely on Haring. A player who has slowly regressed in his time at the club and would assume he was given a new 1 year deal only to give us depth.  He shouldn't be viewed as a starter. As much as I don't rate Devlin very highly he plays the same role as Haring but does a better job. Far more energetic and tenacious.

I never though I'd say this because I wasn't a big fan but I'd genuinely rather have Jamie Walker in there right now to give us that creative spark. Shows the state our midfield has become.

1 minute ago, FJT said:

I’m not sure your ego would be dented by such checks 😁 it’s pretty solid from what I can gather! Interrupted though? If you two want a private chat then you can have it elsewhere 😆 think I’m free to fire in whenever I like thanks 😘 

Yes, re making the best of what we have., and there’s debate to be had about what shape that takes 

Ego intact thank you.

I presumed as you quoted the debate, you were engaging with the topic.

7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Don't you start. 

All you do is start mate. Argue with everyone and anyone just for the sake of it and every time end up looking like a tube. Don't think you even know yourself what you're slavering about half the time 🤷‍♂️ If 90% of your job is reading text then that is seriously worrying!

17 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Where was the animosity?

Don't you start. 

Your condescending dismissal of other’s point of view creates animosity. And you know this.

18 minutes ago, Chimp said:

All you do is start mate. Argue with everyone and anyone just for the sake of it and every time end up looking like a tube. Don't think you even know yourself what you're slavering about half the time 🤷‍♂️ If 90% of your job is reading text then that is seriously worrying!

The folk who look stupid on here are always the ones who resort to insults. Clear lack of intelligence and inability to debate or discuss a topic like an adult. 

14 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Your condescending dismissal of other’s point of view creates animosity. And you know this.

Turns out you agreed with the point anyway. The only real animosity was you suggesting I  couldn't read paragraphs...

I'm away out with the family. Enjoy your Saturday. 

19 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Think midfield is everyone's concern, bar our management team. I agree they were relying on Beni, but even if he was fit we shouldn't also have to rely on Haring. A player who has slowly regressed in his time at the club and would assume he was given a new 1 year deal only to give us depth.  He shouldn't be viewed as a starter. As much as I don't rate Devlin very highly he plays the same role as Haring but does a better job. Far more energetic and tenacious.

I never though I'd say this because I wasn't a big fan but I'd genuinely rather have Jamie Walker in there right now to give us that creative spark. Shows the state our midfield has become.

I think you’re right re walker!  Indicative of our current situation that it’s even mentioned don’t you think? 
We seem to have had very few in recent years who are genuinely attacking mids. 
With hindsight seems like over reliance on uncertain/precarious situations with specific players. 
re devlin, I love his tenacity, if all players bust a gut and closed others down in the same way we’d be in better shape. He breaks up play well but his passing can sometimes let him down and he often turns backwards or sideways to pass. We need someone who can drive forward and thread incisive passes forwards… hopefully the club are working on it🤞

Portable Badger
1 hour ago, the original dalry llama said:

If there is one topic that is sure to derail blind Tibetan monks from their ongoing theological debates it is our failure to sign a creative CM. Many of them will happily offer up opinions on a wide range of subjects relating to God, the universe and the nature of mankind. All fall strangely silent whenever the topic of the lack of a creative CM in EH11 is raised.

Wise words indeed Your Eminence 

:notworthy:

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Need someone on Directors Box watch tomorrow.  See if there’s any free agents up taking a look. 

Do you think we’ll go to the out of contract market this year? I’m not so sure we will to be honest. We’ve got three over the last two summer windows though, so who knows.

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Goalie going backwards, defence not good enough, missing midfield and slow center forwards......apart from that the window has been fine eh!

4 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

I really don’t think we look much stronger in terms of quality…..despite spending a decent chunk of money.

Kent looks like a solid player. Vargas promising. Others like Tagawa, Offiah, too early to say imo. We’ll see

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

He featured in Europe and the cup as well. He probably shouldn’t have got as many as ten league starts based on form. He’s had plenty opportunities from the bench. 

If we play him in a different position other than part of a midfield two I’m more than happy to see how he does but he can’t play that position and I think that’s been shown and fwiw I think we have better options further up the pitch and wide. 

Folk suggesting he partner Devlin tomorrow are nuts. 

Which he was good in.  I’m not seeing the overwhelming for or against evidence to have him written down as a certain starter or bang to rights as not good enough?

If anything, I’d say the positives edge more slightly in favour for a player who wasn’t allowed any extended run in the team.  I’ve not checked but I’m sure he was taken out the side after scoring in the win v Dundee Utd and I don’t know how his sequence of games fell in his 10 starts?

I can’t see how he wasn’t justified due to form when he wasn’t given any chances to settle?