*** Hearts Summer Transfer Thread*** Offiah signs on loan

Selkirkhmfc1874

55 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I wouldn't be keen on this as he looks a bit of a weed and I'd be cautious about bringing in anyone other than the very best from that league.

Based on Offiah's signing, I reckon they'll be looking for a more physical alternative to Atkinson.

I'm already crying inside at the prospect of another import from that league. 

Fran Karačić would be my choice.

• Replies 36.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Batistuta87

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I wouldn't be keen on this as he looks a bit of a weed and I'd be cautious about bringing in anyone other than the very best from that league.

Based on Offiah's signing, I reckon they'll be looking for a more physical alternative to Atkinson.

That's what I thought of Cammy when I first saw we'd signed him 🤣

Found this guy too: 

image.png.985e25e781cd93fa99506e7d6f72a32c.png

1 hour ago, Berrassobad said:

complete tosh - no attacking mids - just huff and puff players - no foresight -  and before you ask me to justify it look at the results historically and currently - total tosh imo

How many midfields have attacking players these days? Hardly any because - like us - the midfield consists of 2 or 3 defensive or regular midfielders to allow for 3 or 4 attackers. It’s your understanding of the modern game and the formations we play that’s total tosh.

15 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Michael Smith still doesn’t have a club. Might be worth getting him back on a short term deal, even just until January, as back up for right back.

Absolutely not. He should have gone at the end of the 2020-21 season.

5 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

BBC saying we're in the market for a RB so assuming Offiah's health scare is serious enough to mean he won't be playing for the next wee while. I hope he's OK. 

Looking at the list of available players, I'm going to suggest that we'll be looking at Callan Elliott from Wellington Pheonix. Has the same agent as Cammy, played with him at WP, born in Scotland, MV is right in the sort of range we'd have for a backup player... Just looks like a very realistic option. Glowing reports from his time with the NZ national side, comparisons to Dani Alves at Pheonix (LOL), has chipped in with a few assists in the A-League, and having just turned 24 I'd say he's a decent enough age to come over here and learn on his feet. 

Nope as if hes playing out there he's pish.

3 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Why do we have to be looking for players so far away from here and Europe?

JJ and Billy Brown don't get it either as they stated at last nights shareholders dinner q&a.

It's bizarre, we go half way round the world to sign players, but generally find our managers/ head coaches in a room just along the corridor.

4 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Or we could sign Nicky Devlin who has been giving away goals for fun at Aberdeen

From what I can gather we would have signed him if Robbie was still in charge. 

3 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Why do we have to be looking for players so far away from here and Europe?

JJ and Billy Brown don't get it either as they stated at last nights shareholders dinner q&a.

JJ and Billy Brown did well in Scottish market with the likes of Cameron, McCann, Weir etc but all were a gamble as they were coming from smaller clubs.  They also signed players from France, Austria and Italy which at the time was seen as a far and wide market.  

39 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

It's bizarre, we go half way round the world to sign players, but generally find our managers/ head coaches in a room just along the corridor.

Wonder what the odds are on Liam Fox.

14 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

JJ and Billy Brown did well in Scottish market with the likes of Cameron, McCann, Weir etc but all were a gamble as they were coming from smaller clubs.  They also signed players from France, Austria and Italy which at the time was seen as a far and wide market.  

Calm down no more than a three hour flight to most of these. A bit different to Austarlia, Japan and Costa Rica.

Roussett, Adam, Flogel spring to mind immediately.

In the 60's and 70's there were loads of Scandanavian players in Scotland. 

Ricardo Quaresma
20 hours ago, OTT said:

No, I'm saying that part just as a "I hope I'm wrong, and will happily laugh at myself if proven so". 

The Kio/Grant part is symptomatic of our failure to sign quality midfielders. Christ, Haring has been in decline since effectively the end of the season we first signed him (when he picked up the hernia injury that caused him to miss over a year of football and apparently forget that footballs can also be passed forwards...) Yet we've failed to replace him in 9 different transfer windows because despite everything, he's still here and deemed a more viable option than everyone else. With Hof having made no noticeable impact yet, I'm concerned that we've yet another midfielder who won't make the grade. 

I'm not willing the laddie to fail or anything like that, but I am asking to be shown something before throwing support behind him. We could see straight away that Kio didn't have anything, and I'm worried that we're on the same road with Hof. Against St Johnstone, I saw nothing and against Partick I saw a very average looking midfielder. 

As I say, I'm not particularly passionate about Hofs place in the team. Hopefully he makes it, but I'm far from excited based on what we've seen. 

My issue is that he seems to have been signed as some sort of project, yet we're looking at the same deficient midfield that caused us problems last season and the season before. Haring isn't positive in possession and Devlin can't pass a ball. We needed someone who could come in right away and push Haring out the team, but yet again we've failed to do that. I suppose I'm more irritated at recruitment for again dropping the ball in not delivering a midfielder that was ready to go from the off. 

Kio, grant and snodgrass were all related to the same issue that still persists, the unavailability of Beni and Haring

Those 3 were all known to be more attacking, I know most people on here think of Kio as DM, but he wasn't meant to be just that

The problem is that Boyce and Shankland are capable in behind the main striker, so when Shankland was put there, then made Captain, there was no moving him and he played all but a couple of games without ever being subbed

This displaced grant, but Kio got minutes in DM quite regularly, because he's fairly good at mopping up, but grant was put behind his #10, now we have Lowry there too

It was publicly stated that grant stagnated outside #10, we all knew it, but it was one of the things that threatened RN's position last season, so RN limited his game time; grant was shoehorned in everywhere except DM, behind his #10, the position he was obviously signed for, so, maybe lack of foresight

This lead to grant's effectiveness being a percentage of what it should be; he's a #10, that's it, so he was only going to ever replace Shankland; no room at the inn

Putting snodgrass at #10 was the same problem, then he was put in DM with a Deep Lying Playmaker role!! That's what cost RN his job, aside from using 343 without the players for it

So, there is reason for grant to feel put out by this; it could be the reason why he was maybe a mixture of trying too hard and feeling under pressure whilst being out of position; I don't think any player appreciates that, but some still manage to get on with it

However as we all know this wasn't the only OOP case last season, square pegs, round holes all over the place

Sad thing is that this season so far, maybe if we sold Kio at the end of the window, we might not have needed to throw Beni in in Norway (but why not Sibbick there?) and we may not have needed to overplay Haring until he got injured (Again!) and now Calem's injured too, he could maybe have been eased in with more control

But, seems Kio was moved on because of a moderate profit, arguably too early, in terms of bodies needed now

Steven caulker free agent thought he was a very good cb while at Dundee also good in the air and got a bit off muscle too unlike another cb I could mention.

Ricardo Quaresma
18 minutes ago, Kennyfragg13 said:

Steven caulker free agent thought he was a very good cb while at Dundee also good in the air and got a bit off muscle too unlike another cb I could mention.

Lot of people on here like him and would be a decent acquisition, it seems

5 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Kio, grant and snodgrass were all related to the same issue that still persists, the unavailability of Beni and Haring

Those 3 were all known to be more attacking, I know most people on here think of Kio as DM, but he wasn't meant to be just that

The problem is that Boyce and Shankland are capable in behind the main striker, so when Shankland was put there, then made Captain, there was no moving him and he played all but a couple of games without ever being subbed

This displaced grant, but Kio got minutes in DM quite regularly, because he's fairly good at mopping up, but grant was put behind his #10, now we have Lowry there too

It was publicly stated that grant stagnated outside #10, we all knew it, but it was one of the things that threatened RN's position last season, so RN limited his game time; grant was shoehorned in everywhere except DM, behind his #10, the position he was obviously signed for, so, maybe lack of foresight

This lead to grant's effectiveness being a percentage of what it should be; he's a #10, that's it, so he was only going to ever replace Shankland; no room at the inn

Putting snodgrass at #10 was the same problem, then he was put in DM with a Deep Lying Playmaker role!! That's what cost RN his job, aside from using 343 without the players for it

So, there is reason for grant to feel put out by this; it could be the reason why he was maybe a mixture of trying too hard and feeling under pressure whilst being out of position; I don't think any player appreciates that, but some still manage to get on with it

However as we all know this wasn't the only OOP case last season, square pegs, round holes all over the place

Sad thing is that this season so far, maybe if we sold Kio at the end of the window, we might not have needed to throw Beni in in Norway (but why not Sibbick there?) and we may not have needed to overplay Haring until he got injured (Again!) and now Calem's injured too, he could maybe have been eased in with more control

But, seems Kio was moved on because of a moderate profit, arguably too early, in terms of bodies needed now

A very good assesment of the midfield problems. FWIW I feel Kio was moved on too quickly and on the assumption that Beni would be back and just as good. I also have a good friend who is a Lincoln City fan and absolutely raves about Grant and thought we were lucky to have him!

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, weegie jambo said:

A very good assesment of the midfield problems. FWIW I feel Kio was moved on too quickly and on the assumption that Beni would be back and just as good. I also have a good friend who is a Lincoln City fan and absolutely raves about Grant and thought we were lucky to have him!

It's a common enough occurence to change formation and players get a raw deal because of it

It's all a bit of a juggling act and I don't think RN managed the stuation disastrously, but it did leave grant looking like he was underperforming and predictably vexed about that

15 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Calm down no more than a three hour flight to most of these. A bit different to Austarlia, Japan and Costa Rica.

Roussett, Adam, Flogel spring to mind immediately.

In the 60's and 70's there were loads of Scandanavian players in Scotland. 

Its about context.  Signing players from Europe at that time was a big deal as we usually dealt within Scottish and English markets.  Reaching out to Japan, Australia is no different.  It's about finding value for money.

3 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Its about context.  Signing players from Europe at that time was a big deal as we usually dealt within Scottish and English markets.  Reaching out to Japan, Australia is no different.  It's about finding value for money.

I disagree that it was a big deal. Clubs like Morton were signing Scandanavian players as were Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and others.

Time will tell if they are value for money.

The other night at the Shareholders dinner Jim Jeffries and Billy Brown didn't get the idea of bringing players in from so far away and they also said there is no way that the Manager has actually watched any of these players in the flesh.

It is all about video highlights and stats and we all know how reliable or not those can be.

SectionDJambo
3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I disagree that it was a big deal. Clubs like Morton were signing Scandanavian players as were Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and others.

Time will tell if they are value for money.

The other night at the Shareholders dinner Jim Jeffries and Billy Brown didn't get the idea of bringing players in from so far away and they also said there is no way that the Manager has actually watched any of these players in the flesh.

It is all about video highlights and stats and we all know how reliable or not those can be.

With all due respect to JJ and BB, it’s highly unlikely that they will have seen Gilles Rousset and Pasquale Bruno before they signed them. Not in a competitive match anyway.

Videos don’t always have to be misleading and there are plenty of ways of assessing players online these days.

Clubs like Hearts have been priced out of the standard of British players that we could pick up 25 years ago, simply because of the crazy wages that lower league English clubs can pay due to the huge tv they receive. 
Money has changed football and not for the betterment of the non “elite” clubs.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

With all due respect to JJ and BB, it’s highly unlikely that they will have seen Gilles Rousset and Pasquale Bruno before they signed them. Not in a competitive match anyway.

Videos don’t always have to be misleading and there are plenty of ways of assessing players online these days.

Clubs like Hearts have been priced out of the standard of British players that we could pick up 25 years ago, simply because of the crazy wages that lower league English clubs can pay due to the huge tv they receive. 

Well with all due respect JJ told a story about him going to watch Stephane Adam and when he got there his agent said sorry butr he is not playing but on the bench.

He never got on the park and to cut a long story short JJ said tell him to come over to Hearts for a week long trial so we can look at him and I think you will know the rest of the story.

I certainly got the impression that where possible him or Billy Brown made a point of tryingt o see all potential signings in actual games.

I think perhaps in the Bruno case when we signed him he was coming to the end of an illustrious career and there may not have been any need to have watched what he could do.

I don't agree about us being rpiced out of the market for British players. Frankie Kent looks one of our better signings and we can obviously afford him.

I am sure there are plenty more of a similar type to be picked up.

6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Well with all due respect JJ told a story about him going to watch Stephane Adam and when he got there his agent said sorry butr he is not playing but on the bench.

He never got on the park and to cut a long story short JJ said tell him to come over to Hearts for a week long trial so we can look at him and I think you will know the rest of the story.

I certainly got the impression that where possible him or Billy Brown made a point of tryingt o see all potential signings in actual games.

I think perhaps in the Bruno case when we signed him he was coming to the end of an illustrious career and there may not have been any need to have watched what he could do.

I don't agree about us being rpiced out of the market for British players. Frankie Kent looks one of our better signings and we can obviously afford him.

With all due respect to this debate I think what's obvious is that we are operating in a different market from 25 years ago.  The point made about it being more difficult to buy good British players due to the TV money in England is undeniable.  Of course you will get one or two players but I think clubs like ours are having to spread the net further afield to try and get value for money.  Time will tell if has been a wise thing to do but it is what it is.

51 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

With all due respect to this debate I think what's obvious is that we are operating in a different market from 25 years ago.  The point made about it being more difficult to buy good British players due to the TV money in England is undeniable.  Of course you will get one or two players but I think clubs like ours are having to spread the net further afield to try and get value for money.  Time will tell if has been a wise thing to do but it is what it is.

It is a different market. Especially with regard how tiny clubs down south can outbid much larger clubs up here because of TV money. However, I think they see teams like Motherwell and St Mirren picking up players for far less than we pay which are of a similar standard or better without having to recruit from half way round the world. Can we honestly say the players we have recruited from the A league have improved our squad. Newy may be a great signing, time will tell, but the other three are largely unimpressive. 

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, hisnameis said:

It is a different market. Especially with regard how tiny clubs down south can outbid much larger clubs up here because of TV money. However, I think they see teams like Motherwell and St Mirren picking up players for far less than we pay which are of a similar standard or better without having to recruit from half way round the world. Can we honestly say the players we have recruited from the A league have improved our squad. Newy may be a great signing, time will tell, but the other three are largely unimpressive. 

how are they picking up better players when we finish above them 

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

I don't have a problem with spreading the net to find affordable players. I just don't think that we are doing a very good job at it.

Part of my point and the purpose behind the JJ story is that too much emphasios is being put on stats for players.

That can maybve be a guide to go and have a look at certain ones that maybe fit what you are looking for but I just feel we are too dependent on that now without really watching them play.

A prime example of this was Kio. I said I didn't like the look of him but it was early days and we had to give the guy a chance.

The minute I posted my thoughts I had all the stato guys flooding the thread with pages of stats which on reading them looked good but I never saw him producing anything that I liked.

I suppose it could be argued that maybe he wasn't given as long as some would have liked but I think the fact we took the chance to move him on tells it's own story

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

I don't have a problem with spreading the net to find affordable players. I just don't think that we are doing a very good job at it.

Part of my point and the purpose behind the JJ story is that too much emphasios is being put on stats for players.

That can maybve be a guide to go and have a look at certain ones that maybe fit what you are looking for but I just feel we are too dependent on that now without really watching them play.

A prime example of this was Kio. I said I didn't like the look of him but it was early days and we had to give the guy a chance.

The minute I posted my thoughts I had all the stato guys flooding the thread with pages of stats which on reading them looked good but I never saw him producing anything that I liked.

I suppose it could be argued that maybe he wasn't given as long as some would have liked but I think the fact we took the chance to move him on tells it's own story

To be fair we, and other clubs, signed plenty duds in the days before the internet and wide ranging data analytics.  Even JJ signed some notable duds. 

26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

To be fair we, and other clubs, signed plenty duds in the days before the internet and wide ranging data analytics.  Even JJ signed some notable duds. 

I don't think there is a manger in football who hasn't signed a dud at some point.

Colonel Kurtz
5 hours ago, wavydavy said:

He didnt go and see Gordon Petric

Or do much research as his nickname in Greece was THe Snail

8 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

how are they picking up better players when we finish above them 

Some of their players are better than ours, Van Veen , O'Hara , Strain, Baccus, not forgetting the likes of McGinn Alan Campbell , David Turnbull from recent years would they have sold on for a decent money . They also have or have recently had several players who are of similar ability to ours. The difference is often we can afford a bigger squad of first team players where as they have to supplement their squads with youngsters. 

Given our budget and theirs would you say there was a gulf in the teams last weekend? Both Motherwell and St Mirren are currently above us in the league.

5 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I never suggested he watched every player he signed. If you have a look at my comment I said he looked at players where possible.

I wasn't suggesting that he didn't make some bad signings either.

21 minutes ago, hisnameis said:

Some of their players are better than ours, Van Veen , O'Hara , Strain, Baccus, not forgetting the likes of McGinn Alan Campbell , David Turnbull from recent years would they have sold on for a decent money . They also have or have recently had several players who are of similar ability to ours. The difference is often we can afford a bigger squad of first team players where as they have to supplement their squads with youngsters. 

Given our budget and theirs would you say there was a gulf in the teams last weekend? Both Motherwell and St Mirren are currently above us in the league.

The argument you were responding to was that those clubs were signing better players in the transfer market without having to buy from half way around the world.

So McGinn, Campbell and Turnbull don't fit that argument as they came through youth development rather than being brought in from other clubs.

Strain and Baccus on the other hand show that the argument was totally flawed as they came from the Australia league, in one case via Israel. So these clubs are also looking at far flung places to sign players.

6 hours ago, wavydavy said:

I don't think there is a manger in football who hasn't signed a dud at some point.

image.jpeg.511728a83f4d751369e0703e5104e8f6.jpeg

El Jeebus Senior. 

16 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

The argument you were responding to was that those clubs were signing better players in the transfer market without having to buy from half way around the world.

So McGinn, Campbell and Turnbull don't fit that argument as they came through youth development rather than being brought in from other clubs.

Strain and Baccus on the other hand show that the argument was totally flawed as they came from the Australia league, in one case via Israel. So these clubs are also looking at far flung places to sign players.

Whether they come through academy or not they are recruited. I am not against recruiting from across the world if it is better than what we could get locally. Our Aussie are of poor Quality and not physically up to the rigours of Scottish football. 

12 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Fitzroy Simpson was going to help Hearts win the league according to the geniuses. 

12 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Seemingly after a recently released FB from Blackburn 

Has to be Ryan Nyambe? Was released by Blackburn last season but he's the only free agent RB I can find who has even played for them.

Edited by Batistuta87

pettigrewsstylist
On 07/09/2023 at 11:25, SectionDJambo said:

Did Bruno not have about 400 appearances in Italy on arrival in gorgie? Hardly comparable. 

18 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Gordan Petric, the former Dundee Utd and Rangers player.

3 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Has to be Ryan Nyambe? Was released by Blackburn last season but he's the only free agent RB I can find who has even played for them.

He's played plenty games so you would think he's a decent standard.

colinmorewasgash
17 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Did Bruno not have about 400 appearances in Italy on arrival in gorgie? Hardly comparable. 

Loved Bruno total nutter id love to have him in our dressing room nowadays with these bottlers.

0_Paolo-Di-Canio-Footballer.jpg

pettigrewsstylist
7 minutes ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Loved Bruno total nutter id love to have him in our dressing room nowadays with these bottlers.

Half of them would never be off treatment table, hiding.

29 minutes ago, colinmorewasgash said:

He wouldn't be on the field for 5 minutes with the current incompetent crop of weegie refs.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
34 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Half of them would never be off treatment table, hiding.

As much as fingers are pointed at management, players will to achieve is far more of an issue for me. Who can motivate the modern day player?

44 minutes ago, colinmorewasgash said:

It kind of looks like he's holding a gun to him with his left hand :laugh2:

1 hour ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Just a shame he was no longer able to run as we saw in the 3-4 league cup final against the huns.

11 minutes ago, Korky said:

Just a shame he was no longer able to run as we saw in the 3-4 league cup final against the huns.

Watched the highlights of that yesterday as saw Gascoigne in Bournemouth and his goals in that game (at least one of them) were down to Bruno.

colinmorewasgash
21 minutes ago, Korky said:

Yep he was finished really plus it wasnt bad hun team mind you he only played cause of an injury if my mind is right but character none the less still better than rowles.

Horatio Caine
2 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

As much as fingers are pointed at management, players will to achieve is far more of an issue for me. Who can motivate the modern day player?

Postecogolu seems to manage. Think it's called 'fear'.

Edited by Horatio Caine

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Bonuses.