***Official Match Thread - Heart of Midlothian v St Mirren - Part Deux - Friday 13th - Redemption Day***

Lord Beni of Gorgie

7 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I wonder if Neilson has indicated to Eddie Howe that Kuol will play some part in the game and if so, whether he will travel up to watch him.  Newcastle don't play till Sunday.

I would if it was me.

Howe will be at Villa v Leeds if anything.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Francis Albert

• Riccarton3

• Clark Griswold

9 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I could eat my words but this doesn't seem like Law'nShanks' kind of game. They're going to absolutely pollute the middle and suffocate anything coming through. See more likely that Humphrys or Gino or Kuol or Odo break out the back and get them.

At least until we score 2 and they have to come out, I guess.

Just have a feeling, mind you that doesn't work out too good at times 😁. Ye get what your saying and it makes sense,

I believe he will be there close in the box for all the scraps and snodgrass will supply. May be a bit of wishful thinking too I put a tenner on him at the start of the season, top goal scorer 18/1. Anyhow I will take a win and 3pts with an own goal at the end of the 90. 

59 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Why? They are top 6 and hard to break down. I'll be happy with a win. Why would that not be good enough? 

He’s a troll, best ignored. 

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Nothing less than 3-0 is acceptable.

Yip, win 2-0 and everyone should get sacked.

Makes sense

"acceptable"...🤣

If we're going to persist with 3-4-3, which clearly didn't work against them in the last game, then I'd go with Sibbick, Rowles, Kingsley, with Natty and Cochrane wide.

They pressed Snodgrass out the game first half last week, so we need to open the game as wide as possible.

10 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Nothing less than 3-0 is acceptable.

This entitled attitude is ridiculous. 

But then again, it's you, so it fits rather well. 

13 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

If we're going to persist with 3-4-3, which clearly didn't work against them in the last game, then I'd go with Sibbick, Rowles, Kingsley, with Natty and Cochrane wide.

They pressed Snodgrass out the game first half last week, so we need to open the game as wide as possible.

We were also much better and braver in the second half, beating their press by playing decent passes to players other than Snodgrass.  Even in the centre of the pitch, there was plenty of room for MacKay and others; we were just pretty wasteful with the final ball.

I thought it was actually a kind of blessing that we were so poor in the first half, the players didn’t seem to know how to cope without Snodgrass free.  Once we switched we looked dangerous.

Did we change formation second half? I didn’t think so but could be wrong.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Game day, buzzing to see all these new players

Clark Smith Cochrane Sibbick Rowles Kingsley Devlin Snodgrass McKay Ginnelly Shankland

Edited by Lord Beni of Gorgie

Markymark1874

I wouldn’t expect to see any of the new three start.

Have a feeling that Kuol will come on in the second half and Hill will make an appearance if we are winning comfy.

Robbie really seems to be saying Oda may have a more gradual introduction to the first team so I suspect we’ll not see him tonight - but could be wrong.

This will be a pretty physical game I suspect - St Mirren will try and kick us off the park. 

I’ll go for a tight game and 2-1 win for the Jambos - which would do me fine right now.

Shankland to get back amongst the goals tonight.

Edited by Markymark1874

gorgierulesapply88
42 minutes ago, tian447 said:

This entitled attitude is ridiculous. 

But then again, it's you, so it fits rather well. 

I said nothing less than 4 against that lot from the dockside. But settled for 3.

The Goalscoring Knee
2 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

I said nothing less than 4 against that lot from the dockside. But settled for 3.

I'm puzzled. Nothing less than 4, but settled for 3 - is that not finding 3 acceptable?

The Goalscoring Knee

If we play well, blood a couple of the new boys, win 2-0 and most people enjoy their evening, I will find that perfectly acceptable.:flagwave:

Edited by The Goalscoring Knee

16 minutes ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

I'm puzzled. 

Of course you are.....!

Keep taking the tablets, and if pain persists, see a doctor......!

1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

We were also much better and braver in the second half, beating their press by playing decent passes to players other than Snodgrass.  Even in the centre of the pitch, there was plenty of room for MacKay and others; we were just pretty wasteful with the final ball.

I thought it was actually a kind of blessing that we were so poor in the first half, the players didn’t seem to know how to cope without Snodgrass free.  Once we switched we looked dangerous.

Did we change formation second half? I didn’t think so but could be wrong.

Moved to a 4 and Forrest moved up. The main thing being we then had an extra man in the middle.

While Beni is still out and with Smith not a wingback for me, I much prefer us playing this way.

With Snodgrass, Grant and even a slightly off form Devlin, we have a stronger, more intelligent midfield than St Mirren.

Based on thier attributes, I think also Kuol and Oda would benefit more from playing 4-3-3, which exploits their pace more coming in from wide areas, rather than 3-4-3, which tends to push them inside as the WBs create the width. Obvs I haven't even seen Oda even play though so this is just based on stats more than anything!

Positives -

Not lost a game this side of the WC break.

We're already 3rd..

New exciting signings.

Sell out crowd with one section for them.

They're depleted through injury and suspension. 

Floodlight atmosphere 

Weather good

Negatives -

Scottish referee

The positives win 8-1, Nothing to worry about. A comfortable win on the cards.

Common the Hearts.

3 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Why? They are top 6 and hard to break down. I'll be happy with a win. Why would that not be good enough? 

Exactly.  They know just how to play us (as do others) and our slow build up from the back will just play into their hands.  

Speed and an element of directness will be needed, as well as 90 minutes of focus, not our usual 45.

1 hour ago, Markymark1874 said:

I wouldn’t expect to see any of the new three start.

Have a feeling that Kuol will come on in the second half and Hill will make an appearance if we are winning comfy.

Unless Kuol isn't fit, there shouldn't be any reason why he can't make the bench.

The Aussie manager said he has no fear, and brought him off the bench against the two eventual finalists. He nearly scored against Argentina to take the match to extra time.

Off the back of that, I'd be chucking him on as part of Robbie's customary 60 min changes.

Clark

Sibbick

Hill

Rowles

Smith

Devlin

Snodric

Cochrane

Kuol

Shankland

McKay

Stewart, Kingsley, Halliday, Atkinson, Grant, Kiomourtzoglou, Ginnelly, Humphrys, Oda.

That's some bench now, with quite a few missing 😳

LochcarronJambo
35 minutes ago, Texaco said:

Positives -

Not lost a game this side of the WC break.

We're already 3rd..

New exciting signings.

Sell out crowd with one section for them.

They're depleted through injury and suspension. 

Floodlight atmosphere 

Weather good

Negatives -

Scottish referee

The positives win 8-1, Nothing to worry about. A comfortable win on the cards.

Common the Hearts.

Would love that, but it will be a difficult game in my view, if we win by one goal I will be very happy

Big game for us tonight, chance to go 6 clear in 3rd. 

I reckon Halliday will be back available but unsure about Kingsley.

1 hour ago, spacerjoe said:

Moved to a 4 and Forrest moved up. The main thing being we then had an extra man in the middle.

While Beni is still out and with Smith not a wingback for me, I much prefer us playing this way.

With Snodgrass, Grant and even a slightly off form Devlin, we have a stronger, more intelligent midfield than St Mirren.

Based on thier attributes, I think also Kuol and Oda would benefit more from playing 4-3-3, which exploits their pace more coming in from wide areas, rather than 3-4-3, which tends to push them inside as the WBs create the width. Obvs I haven't even seen Oda even play though so this is just based on stats more than anything!

👍nice analysis. I’d go with that 3 in the middle tonight too

Sitting trying to pick a starting 11 is brutal for this game. I’ll go for;

Clark

Sibbick Rowles Kingsley 

Smith Cammy Snoddy Cochrane

Mckay Shankland 

Humps

Stewart, Halliday, Gino, Hill, Kuol, Forrest, grant, Kio, Pollock  

Credit to the club for the ticket exchange. I just bought x 4 for tonight. All exchange ones.

Thanks to those fans who returned tonight's ticket.

38 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Clark

Sibbick

Hill

Rowles

Smith

Devlin

Snodric

Cochrane

Kuol

Shankland

McKay

Stewart, Kingsley, Halliday, Atkinson, Grant, Kiomourtzoglou, Ginnelly, Humphrys, Oda.

That's some bench now, with quite a few missing 😳

I do like the look of the team, but it is slightly harsh to leave Ginnelly out and Kingsley. Think it will certainly be 9 out of the 11 above. Remaining 2 will either be Kuol or Ginnelly, and Hill or Kingsley. 

I think this is a game for Kio to do the dirty work in midfield which will free up the space for Snodgrass to do his stuff. Devlin was largely ineffective against them on Saturday, so I would look for something slightly different. 
I’d also be looking for the wing backs to press forward which means Atkinson (or Forrest) on the right instead of Smith and hopefully Kingsley is back (if not then Hill comes in) so Cochrane can rampage down the left. 
The other decisions would be between Grant & McKay for sitting in front of the midfield and Humphrys & Gino for up front. I would probably go with Grant & Humphrys, but every combination has its merits.

Clark

Sibbick, Rowles, Kingsley,

Smith, Devlin, Snodgrass, Cochrane 

Ginnelly, Shankland, McKay

Is my guess. 

He didn't see a problem with only 2 central. It was the fact they were too deep.

The concern is if SK doesn't make it and Cochrane has to play CH, you need a lot more involvement from McKay and Ginnelly to actually go demanding  the ball. Still a hard shift ( versus St Mirren at home!) for Snodgrass at 35 and Devlin with very limited potential wing backs

Edited by Riccarton3

1 hour ago, chrystaf said:

Exactly.  They know just how to play us (as do others) and our slow build up from the back will just play into their hands.  

Speed and an element of directness will be needed, as well as 90 minutes of focus, not our usual 45.

Every Scottish team knows how to play us, yet we're still up there in third because we've got a great manager and some excellent players.

I'd describe our build up play as patient rather than slow. I love it. Clever triangles down the left, or fast overlaps down the right. Never bores me.

highlandjambo3
15 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Hopefully Neilson learnt what he needed last match and makes the right tactical choices from the off. Need to stop them from swarming Snodgrass need to use possession far better and get it into their half of the pitch. Need to pressure them in their own half and Shankland/Gino/Humphrey’s need to put the laces through it instead when given the opportunity. 

Hopefully the weather is kind for the jambos tomorrow as I can’t make it due to work sadly. 

I’ve noticed quite often when other teams try to disrupt our game plan, like a two V’s two player (stramash/pub brawl) we never seem to dig the ball out, always seems to be the other team that wins the ball.  Are we not aggressive enough, don’t we want the ball enough or, are we just out of sync 🤷‍♂️

gorgierulesapply88
4 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

I'm puzzled. Nothing less than 4, but settled for 3 - is that not finding 3 acceptable?

Well I had nae choice.

I reckon tonight and Wednesday v Sheep can go a long way to cementing 3rd again.  Big games under the lights, love it.

30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Heading to the boozer now.

Friday night games should be a regular thing :robboyas:

Oh ffs you’ll be fleeing by kick off 😂

Playing the same team twice in a week is a good reason to consider playing either Oda or Kuol from the start. It creates a level of unpredictability, which given we had 74% possession but only scored 1 goal at the weekend is needed. I'd be tempted to go with Oda, just because he will have had a couple of extra training sessions with his new teammates.

It would be nice to record another clean sheet, but with Shankland, Ginnelly, Humphrys, McKay, Oda and Kuol available, we should be looking to score enough goals that losing one doesn't matter. Although avoiding letting in an early goal would help massively.

I'd also be tempted to switch Atkinson in at right wing back, but I imagine I'm in a minority with that view.

2 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

Sitting trying to pick a starting 11 is brutal for this game. I’ll go for;

Clark

Sibbick Rowles Kingsley 

Smith Cammy Snoddy Cochrane

Mckay Shankland 

Humps

Stewart, Halliday, Gino, Hill, Kuol, Forrest, grant, Kio, Pollock  

I think this may be the team tonight although I can't help wonder whether McKay should be benched and replaced by Grant.... Later in the game I'd probably bring him on or consider Kuol and/or Yoda.  

Edited by Mr Kipling

4 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I'd also be tempted to switch Atkinson in at right wing back, but I imagine I'm in a minority with that view.

I actually think that Atkinson needs to be given game time and in his proper position. The last game he came on, he was playing on the left (I think). He needs a run of games - just my opinion though.