Hearts sesquicentennial celebrations ~ 1874-2024 ( merged )

Jambo 4 Ever

1 hour ago, Craigieboy said:

It was interesting that Ann Budge at last nights HMSA meeting said that there are big plans to celebrate this - events, a special strip for the 2023/24 season. 

It got me thinking about what we could do or what we would like to see happen as fans. 

I think it’s an opportunity to properly celebrate a big milestone in our clubs history and I’d like to see it done in a really classy manner. 

Thoughts?

Would love us to reprise this strip - pure Hearts ❤️ 

E85F7C70-25CE-4CAC-ABAC-A5799A0756D7.jpeg

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• dannymack

• Sooks

• Jambo 4 Ever

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to see This Is My Story productions put on another show, as A War of Two Halves and Sweet FA were both excellent.  Maybe Hearts could engage with them about helping to fund an even bigger production.

6 hours ago, Thomaso said:

I’d imagine an all white first team strip going back to the earliest images of players. Other clubs have done this for significant anniversaries. Think Arsenal and their dark berry coloured strip and Dundee Utd and their dark green strip. 

Fxxx the SPFL

Definitely have a pre season game against a massive team Real Madrid Barcelona I think someone mentioned Villa as they were founded in 1874 as well 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I’d imagine an all white first team strip going back to the earliest images of players. Other clubs have done this for significant anniversaries. Think Arsenal and their dark berry coloured strip and Dundee Utd and their dark green strip. 

All white strip?  Eilidh barbour wouldn't approve

I have always managed to have a little respect for even the biggest arseholes in the world , if they are honest about what they are , and do not just slither around like cowards pretending they are some thing else

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Women’s teams wearing dark shorts to stop unfortunate incidents when players are on their periods I’d imagine as it’s a current topic of change. 

I am quite sure she would be totally fine with it , and not presume to approve either way 

So any way , apparently it can not be an all white strip , because some one with no connection to our club what so ever would not approve …………….. great stuff 

Apologies, I'm too tired to look, but the buyout was in 2014 too, was it not?

150 years of Hearts and 10 years of fan ownership (or 10 years on the path to it as it were) is a nice pair.

9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Apologies, I'm too tired to look, but the buyout was in 2014 too, was it not?

150 years of Hearts and 10 years of fan ownership (or 10 years on the path to it as it were) is a nice pair.

It is great that they fall at the same time in a way , but our 150 year anniversary as a club feels a lot more important to me . I would expect the FOH stuff to be some what more on the periphery of the celebrations , as great as it is 

Would like to see events aimed at the future generations of Hearts fans. This will not only be a celebration of the first 150 years but also of the start of the next 150. 

We are in an incredibly good place at the moment to really build on the last few years. We have talented people in charge, capable of growing the club, both on the field and as a provider of help to those less fortunate in the community. 

I'm sure our celebrations will fully reflect just what this club has meant and continues to mean for us all, from ardent fans to those with just a bit of a soft spot. One Hearts, one family and bring on the next 150. ❤️

11 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

sesquicentennial, I have to confess I had to look that bad word up in the dictionary, ❤️ FTH

Love it. 

I’ve been trying to add it into general conversation since I heard it on Thursday. 😂

22 hours ago, Sooks said:

Fully on board with this , I think we need to make a big deal out of it , and try and engage as many lapsed supporters as possible along the way . We all know loads of work mates or neighbours who are former attendees who now just catch Sportscene . We should try and draw them back in , and this is the perfect occasion . I would also like to see a statue or two on the plaza 

Totally agree about statues. 1 of our first captain, Tom Purdie, 1 of Tommy walker as our most successful manager and 1 with the terrible trio. Possibly 1 of Robbo as well.

4 minutes ago, superjack said:

Totally agree about statues. 1 of our first captain, Tom Purdie, 1 of Tommy walker as our most successful manager and 1 with the terrible trio. Possibly 1 of Robbo as well.

Would look amazing on the plaza

gordon simpson
16 hours ago, RobNox said:

I'd like to see This Is My Story productions put on another show, as A War of Two Halves and Sweet FA were both excellent.  Maybe Hearts could engage with them about helping to fund an even bigger production.

this would be a great idea, those shows were both fantastic !

LarrysRightFoot

I’m not a big fan of friendlies but it we could get a proper glamour one that would be good - maybe against Bayern who arguably our greatest European result was against. 

1 hour ago, gordon simpson said:

this would be a great idea, those shows were both fantastic !

This was mentioned as a possibility at the McCrae's Battalion lunch by the guys that organised A War of Two Halves. 

What ever we do with the kit, we could sell an absolute load of them.

Would certainly be a keepsake for life having the 150th anniversary strip. Something around the badge with 1874 - 2024.

A big production at the EICC/Usher Hall would be great, footage and the story of the clubs history, potentially live speakers invited along the way, would most certainly sell out.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Percival King
9 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

The Rangers didn't do anything to mark their 10-year anniversary. 

That sort of talk will never get you a job with BBC Scotland.

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Red white and blue hoops, please. Just to really confuse the hard of thinking. 

That's not our original strip though. 

I’d like the club to produce a large banner for the Wheatfield. Technology obviously allows huge banners that are light and easy to handle - not sure how big they can go but some huge ones seem quite common now.

46 minutes ago, Wee Hammy said:

I’d like the club to produce a large banner for the Wheatfield. Technology obviously allows huge banners that are light and easy to handle - not sure how big they can go but some huge ones seem quite common now.

Where's the banner going to hang in the Wheatfield?

On 25/11/2022 at 15:45, Thomaso said:

Would be amazing if we did this exact strip - no badges, no sponsor, nothing. Or a "blackout" (but maroon) type kit where all the printing is the same colour as the shirt; like the Denmark WC kits:

82BE873C-4EEF-40BE-B888-D7759A65F911.jpeg

Edited by Batistuta87

Mid Calder Jambo

I was fortunate enough to attend the Civic Reception in the City Chamber as my Father was an Edinburgh Councillor at the time. I do hope I get the chance to be around for the 150th celebrations.

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Where's the banner going to hang in the Wheatfield?

One that starts at trackside and is passed backwards until it covers top to bottom of the seating area - only appears before game and is kept by Hearts

49 minutes ago, Locky said:

Does anyone know of an exact date the club was formed?

Don't think so I've seen arguments that we were founded a year earlier. Bit hazy back then.

18 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Don't think so I've seen arguments that we were founded a year earlier. Bit hazy back then.

Yeah thought that. Shame as a lot of clubs, particularly on the continent, know the exact date.

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, Locky said:

A lot debate about it. I’m sure someone highlighted theres a book that suggests we were ‘formed’ years before 1874. 

Percival King
56 minutes ago, Locky said:

According to A Pictorial History 1874 - 1984, our founders started playing in the autumn of 1873 (after a policeman directed them to the Meadows so they could use up energy rather than hanging about street corners). They used local rules which were mix of rugby and football rules. In December that year, Queen's Park and Clydesdale played an exhibition at Bonnington in order to introduce Association Football rules to Edinburgh. Some of our founders attended that exhibition then, in early 1874, they adopted Association Football rules and reformed as Heart of Mid-lothian F.C.. So, I can't see an exact date but it would seem to be early 1874, probably.

P.S. the football they used in 1873 was bought from Percival King's shop in Lothian Road, hence my user name. In another time, my user name could be SportsDirect.com.

1 minute ago, Percival King said:

According to A Pictorial History 1874 - 1984, our founders started playing in the autumn of 1873 (after a policeman directed them to the Meadows so they could use up energy rather than hanging about street corners). They used local rules which were mix of rugby and football rules. In December that year, Queen's Park and Clydesdale played an exhibition at Bonnington in order to introduce Association Football rules to Edinburgh. Some of our founders attended that exhibition then, in early 1874, they adopted Association Football rules and reformed as Heart of Mid-lothian F.C.. So, I can't see an exact date but it would seem to be early 1874, probably.

P.S. the football they used in 1873 was bought from Percival King's shop in Lothian Road, hence my user name. In another time, my user name could be SportsDirect.com.

Brilliant post. Had no idea where your username came from. Cheers for that.

44 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We're not 100% sure of the exact year. 😄

True but we've got 1874 on our club crest so best to go with that.

• davemclaren changed the title to Hearts sesquicentennial celebrations ~ 1874-2024 ( merged )