Hearts sesquicentennial celebrations ~ 1874-2024 ( merged )

Jambo 4 Ever

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• dannymack

• Sooks

• Jambo 4 Ever

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Hearts will be 150 years old in 2024 - I wonder if we will be having any special events planned?!

A real 150 anniversary, unlike the one currently being celebrated in the Weeg,

The Treasurer
3 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I remember it well. I've got that poster in the loft somewhere.

Bill Lindsay prominent. Not the most popular guy at Tynecastle back in the day.

My first back of the stand demo was "Lindsay must go"😁 

5 hours ago, Locky said:

At the very least a nice centenary kit. Red, white and blue preferably just for the seethe.

I hope the club are seriously looking at this. Would be an excellent opportunity to produce something as incredible as the 2014 kit. 

150 year anniversary is a big occasion and hopefully the club plan to maximise that.  

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

That must mean we had our centenary  season in 1974.

We did. There wasn't much done by today's standards but the first home game of the year v Motherwell (won 2-0) had a special programme. Which I've still got somewhere.

1 hour ago, OTT said:

I hope the club are seriously looking at this. Would be an excellent opportunity to produce something as incredible as the 2014 kit. 

150 year anniversary is a big occasion and hopefully the club plan to maximise that.  

It’s a Sesquicentennial Celebration!  😉

John Findlay
1 hour ago, TorinoJambo said:

We did. There wasn't much done by today's standards but the first home game of the year v Motherwell (won 2-0) had a special programme. Which I've still got somewhere.

My comment was tongue in cheek.

I was at the Motherwell game, both goals scored by Donald Ford, one a penalty. I was also at the game against Spurs in the August. Was in my element, Jim Cruikshank in goals for us and Pat Jennings in goal for Spurs. The players game out holding footballs, 100 of them, which they kicked into the crowd, no I didn't get one. The game ended in a 1-1 draw.

Edited by John Findlay

Seymour M Hersh

I remember being at the first game in January 1974. For a lot of the game (and I'd have to check who the opponents were) the chant was 100 years old hello, hello 100 years old to the tune of the Gary Glitter song It's good to be back. 

4 hours ago, baron of ness said:

Screenshot_20211216-195215_Gallery.thumb.jpg.42c40d69c16b3e8116d9799c2cf745a3.jpg

I was at that rally (really poor and boring!) and if you had asked me where it was held I would have said at a theatre / cinema up the Bridges / Nicholson Street - but perhaps my memory is not that great!

Although I do remember the whole event was amateurish so perhaps venue was changed after the programmes were printed?

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I doubt that would sell well but they thought the Earl of Rosebery strip would too (I have it 😆). 

The Rosebery top is a great nod to the club’s heritage as is the club’s original kit. 
Might not be so crazy to resurrect these for the anniversary?

AD893248-B6B3-44AD-9BC6-07594840F933.gif

9 hours ago, Locky said:

At the very least a nice centenary kit. Red, white and blue preferably just for the seethe.

As long as we bring back the traditional hoops. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

The Rosebery top is a great nod to the club’s heritage as is the club’s original kit. 

I think I would probably buy it even with those colours. 

Doctor FinnBarr
12 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Not really that funny mate 

could be argued it was the intent of annoying someone 

Aye, you

Doctor FinnBarr
10 hours ago, JimBett365 said:

If it helps prove your theory, I’m sure there’s someone out there somewhere who finds you funny. 👍🏻

Not me for certain, I find him an annoying Hobbit

Geoff Kilpatrick

A thread with most of the nonsense covered up = pleasing.

Anyway, come 2024 we should also celebrate 10 years of saving the club despite the best efforts of vermin to sabotage coming out of admin. Surely Question in Hamilton would agree with that?

15 hours ago, JimBett365 said:

If it helps prove your theory, I’m sure there’s someone out there somewhere who finds you funny. 👍🏻

Not  funny, but he's on it. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9524511aba79ef972719

Edited by ri Alban

Captain Scarlett
18 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Hopefully the Evening News will do a poster similar to this. 

E5DC2498-36DD-4F50-B765-06BBF571DBD1.jpeg

I doubt it. The Evening news was an Edinburgh paper then published and printed in Edinburgh with 3 or 4 editions. 
Now it’s all done in Glasgow and gets delivered with the morning papers at 4.30am so they won’t give a shit.

hereford_hearts
12 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Wouldn't buy a football top like that, but if it was adapted to be a polo shirt, I would be on it like a tramp on chips! 

21 hours ago, Libertarian said:

I remember attending the first home match in 1974. It was January 5th and Hearts raised a flag to commemorate the centenary. The match was a 2-0 victory against Motherwell. Later that year we played Spurs at Tynecastle as part of the centenary celebrations. I wonder what happened to the flag, I'm sure it flew all of 1974.

I remember all of this. and I got a centenary silk scarf that disintegrated after a couple of games. 

17 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

My first back of the stand demo was "Lindsay must go"😁 

I think we sang something about a rope around his neck as well.

Gorgie_Rules
13 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Horrible looking kit and a red white and blue hearts top would would fuel the ‘wee huns’ tag. 

15 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Horrible looking kit and a red white and blue hearts top would would fuel the ‘wee huns’ tag. 

You’re probably right about the tag, sadly.

Nevertheless, it is the club’s original kit and I’m not sure it merits being described as “horrible”?

12 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

You’re probably right about the tag, sadly.

Nevertheless, it is the club’s original kit and I’m not sure it merits being described as “horrible”?

It wasn’t the original kit according to this. 

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Heart_of_Midlothian/Heart_of_Midlothian.htm

Gillsland jack
16 hours ago, John Findlay said:

My comment was tongue in cheek.

I was at the Motherwell game, both goals scored by Donald Ford, one a penalty. I was also at the game against Spurs in the August. Was in my element, Jim Cruikshank in goals for us and Pat Jennings in goal for Spurs. The players game out holding footballs, 100 of them, which they kicked into the crowd, no I didn't get one. The game ended in a 1-1 draw.

Yes I remember, they were not proper footballs, they were the wee plastic balls that were pretty crap, however if they survived long enough, once a bit of air came out of them, you could actually get a good game of fitbaw out of them, I caught the one that Donald Park kicked out, I was delighted for about ten seconds, then a big laddie punched it out of my hands and another 10 laddies started chasing it, never seen it again.

John Findlay
14 minutes ago, Gillsland jack said:

Yes I remember, they were not proper footballs, they were the wee plastic balls that were pretty crap, however if they survived long enough, once a bit of air came out of them, you could actually get a good game of fitbaw out of them, I caught the one that Donald Park kicked out, I was delighted for about ten seconds, then a big laddie punched it out of my hands and another 10 laddies started chasing it, never seen it again.

Spot on👍

Jambo 4 Ever
7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I imagine that the club Heritage team will have various things planned, particularly in the museum. 

Sounds good 

9 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

I remember all of this. and I got a centenary silk scarf that disintegrated after a couple of games. 

I think I got one of those scarves too, likewise it fell to pieces 

On 12/08/2022 at 15:19, baron of ness said:

Screenshot_20211216-195215_Gallery.thumb.jpg.42c40d69c16b3e8116d9799c2cf745a3.jpg

There was a booklet that went along with the programme, from what I can remember it gave a history of the club and a lot of scores, I have it somewhere, I'll have to look it out.

baron of ness
12 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There was a booklet that went along with the programme, from what I can remember it gave a history of the club and a lot of scores, I have it somewhere, I'll have to look it out.

I think i might have that.

I wonder if This Is My Story Productions will create a new show about the formation of the team to commemorate the anniversary.  Their other shows have been excellent.

Jambo 4 Ever
On 15/08/2022 at 04:27, RobNox said:

I wonder if This Is My Story Productions will create a new show about the formation of the team to commemorate the anniversary.  Their other shows have been excellent.

Not a bad shout 

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Not a bad shout 

I actually posed this question on another thread to a JKB member who is part of the team that put these shows together.  He confirmed they were looking to do something in 2024 to commemorate our anniversary, but it depended on them being able to raise the funding to do so.

I've no idea of the costs involved in putting these productions on (maybe you can ask a few questions 😉), but hopefully they can get the finances together.  Maybe the club can help towards the funding, as I'm sure it would be another great show and a worthwhile addition to whatever else the club has planned to commemorate the event.

Maybe we can steal an extra year like TheRangers* did so we can celebrate early, but unlike them we should make sure our celebratory jersey is registered to play in 😂

*I always remember the Rangers badge said 1873, they died and now claim 1872 🫣

On 12/08/2022 at 12:52, John Findlay said:

That must mean we had our centenary  season in 1974.

Its impossible I remember it and I'm not that old 🤐

Hearts Heritage

reid-1924-p011.jpg

The Story of "THE HEARTS" 1874-1924

by William Reid

Edited by Hearts Heritage

Hearts Heritage

Our current thinking is that the boys from 'The Heart of Midlothian Quadrille Assembly Club' were playing on the Meadows in 1873.

However, the game couldn't have been 'Association'. This is because the first game of 'Association' was demonstrated in Edinburgh on Sat 27 Dec 1873.

Report from Glasgow Herald.

image.png.10fddebe124ed6dd4c4153043066f639.png

Therefore 1874 was assigned as our formation year in 1924.

Hagar the Horrible
On 12/08/2022 at 13:01, davemclaren said:

Hopefully the Evening News will do a poster similar to this. 

E5DC2498-36DD-4F50-B765-06BBF571DBD1.jpeg

I used have a pile of those that my dad got from the EEN, was sure there was a few left in the loft when he passed away but to no avail, I would love a reprint of it, or even an origional, was my first Hearts poster, and for some reason over the years collected Tryell F! posters including the 6 wheel P34 which was up on my wall proudly beside that one

• 1 month later...
Jambo 4 Ever
On 20/08/2022 at 12:21, jbee647 said:

Would love to see us produce some limited edition history either a book or DVD 

a high quality product 

Good idea

• davemclaren changed the title to Hearts sesquicentennial celebrations ~ 1874-2024 ( merged )