Hearts sesquicentennial celebrations ~ 1874-2024 ( merged )

Jambo 4 Ever

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• dannymack

• Sooks

• Jambo 4 Ever

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/08/2022 at 12:17, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Hearts will be 150 years old in 2024 - I wonder if we will be having any special events planned?!

Last minute decision to mark the occasion I'd think. 

The club  have had at least 5 years to prepare for this with not one mention of a proposed anniversary committee looking at celebrating or marking the year with a number of events and a monumental Pictorial History book*.

I would like to think the Hearts Heritage Group have something up their sleeves given they now have access to all the clubs archives and artifacts. 

I would love to be proved wrong on this but all I'm expecting is an anniversary programme. 

* An updated book from the 1874 to 1984 edition or a volume of detailed books given an even more in depth look at certain periods of the clubs history with never seen before images. 

On 12/08/2022 at 13:00, tian447 said:

I imagine the badge might get changed for the home shirt like the Championship season, and we'll have a third kit that is of a similar style to the original stripes. 

Change it back to the original crest from 1875 ? 

This is the first ever photograph of Heart of Mid-lothian FC. 

Then the red white and blue Mid-Lothian Foot Ball Club kit team line up.

20201013_114848.jpg

FB_IMG_1469396478385.jpg

On 12/08/2022 at 22:02, Sarah O said:

As long as we bring back the traditional hoops. 

Hibs had green and white hoops for 2/3 years from around the same time we had the MFBC hooped kit with ours only being temporary. 

For some, the beloved green and white celtic hoops didn't arrive on our gracious football pitches until 1904. 

Hoop Hoop ! 

On 13/08/2022 at 09:40, hereford_hearts said:

Wouldn't buy a football top like that, but if it was adapted to be a polo shirt, I would be on it like a tramp on chips! 

It's already been replicated and I've seen a number if the t-shirts being worn. 

Remember fashion has changed dramatically since 1876 so that design may not be everyone's cup of tea. 

On 13/08/2022 at 11:10, Gorgie_Rules said:

Horrible looking kit and a red white and blue hearts top would would fuel the ‘wee huns’ tag. 

Deary me, thats a woeful attempt to stir the pot. 

For a start the blue is not Royal, its navy, secondly an abundance of football clubs within the UK leagues were using those particular colours well before Rangers first started using them. 

On 12/08/2022 at 13:24, Libertarian said:

I remember attending the first home match in 1974. It was January 5th and Hearts raised a flag to commemorate the centenary. The match was a 2-0 victory against Motherwell. Later that year we played Spurs at Tynecastle as part of the centenary celebrations. I wonder what happened to the flag, I'm sure it flew all of 1974.

Would like to think this flag along with the League flags from 1958, 1960 and 1980 are still with the club.

Screenshot_20210531-024854_eBay.jpg

Hearts%20Centenary%20flag%201974.jpg

Hearts%20Centenary%20flag%20raised.jpg

FB_IMG_1483028184231.jpg

Hearts v Motherwell 1973-1.jpg

Hearts v Kilmarnock 74-1.jpg

Screenshot_20221002_075824.jpg

Does anyone know the reason for this flag ? 

It appears to be different from the centenary flag and im noticing the Hearts player is wearing maroon socks as opposed to white which suggests its from an earlier season. 

Hearts v Kilmarnock 

1 hour ago, dannymack said:

Last minute decision to mark the occasion I'd think. 

The club  have had at least 5 years to prepare for this with not one mention of a proposed anniversary committee looking at celebrating or marking the year with a number of events and a monumental Pictorial History book*.

I would like to think the Hearts Heritage Group have something up their sleeves given they now have access to all the clubs archives and artifacts. 

I would love to be proved wrong on this but all I'm expecting is an anniversary programme. 

* An updated book from the 1874 to 1984 edition or a volume of detailed books given an even more in depth look at certain periods of the clubs history with never seen before images. 

They've had 50 years to prepare if you are being pedantic. 😄 They might not have published anything but the Heritage department have been looking at it.  15 months still before 2024. 

Francis Albert

Apologies if already mentioned but couldn't find it. Our preseason friendly against Spurs on 3rd August1974 was billed as a centenary match. I think I still have the programme somewhere. 1-1 draw thanks to Ford penalty. 13326 crowd.

PS don't think it was arranged years in advance!

Sorry I see John Findlay got there first.

Edited by Francis Albert

pettigrewsstylist
On 12/08/2022 at 13:24, Libertarian said:

I remember attending the first home match in 1974. It was January 5th and Hearts raised a flag to commemorate the centenary. The match was a 2-0 victory against Motherwell. Later that year we played Spurs at Tynecastle as part of the centenary celebrations. I wonder what happened to the flag, I'm sure it flew all of 1974.

Sure i still have the tottenham programme somewhere, bright red cover if i recall.

I hope there is a worthy celebration of the 150.

I turned 6 in 1974 and have no memory of the centenary stuff.

My first game was in '75 and my strong, meaningful Hearts memories mostly start from there.

I always feel like I missed out. 😪 

I want an extravaganza in 2024. 😊 

Who should we, realistically, invite to play if we're having a game to mark the anniversary?

I'd suggest Aston Villa. Also formed in 1874 and, like Heart of Midlothian, made an impact when league football began in both countries.

Edited by martoon

27 minutes ago, martoon said:

My first game was in '75 and my strong, meaningful Hearts memories mostly start from there.

Who should we, realistically, invite to play if we're having a game to mark the anniversary?

I'd suggest Aston Villa. Also formed in 1874 and, like Heart of Midlothian, made an impact when league football began in both countries.

All depends how much money we want to spend on marking the occasion. 

A glamour match against top class opposition would probably be out of the question due to costs but hey, your not 150 years old every year.

Would really like the club to produce a bumper paged glossy book rammed full of pictures from the past. 

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

They've had 50 years to prepare if you are being pedantic. 😄 They might not have published anything but the Heritage department have been looking at it.  15 months still before 2024. 

Could almost say 150 years 

On 12/08/2022 at 12:17, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Hearts will be 150 years old in 2024 - I wonder if we will be having any special events planned?!

Same strip would be cool ?

On 13/08/2022 at 12:40, Gillsland jack said:

Yes I remember, they were not proper footballs, they were the wee plastic balls that were pretty crap, however if they survived long enough, once a bit of air came out of them, you could actually get a good game of fitbaw out of them, I caught the one that Donald Park kicked out, I was delighted for about ten seconds, then a big laddie punched it out of my hands and another 10 laddies started chasing it, never seen it again.

I remember sitting on crash barrier at the school end with my old man, it was my wee brothers first game, those plastic balls were hilarious, there was 100 kicked into the crowd by both sets of players, must have cost £20 for the 100

i have this recollection and I’d love it confirmed if possible 

I recall the second half of the centenary match v Spurs only lasted 35 minutes as Tottenham had to catch a plane ,so wanted the second half cut short,  surely someone else could confirm this, I was 10 at the time 

Edited by jbee647

3 hours ago, jbee647 said:

I remember sitting on crash barrier at the school end with my old man, it was my wee brothers first game, those plastic balls were hilarious, there was 100 kicked into the crowd by both sets of players, must have cost £20 for the 100

i have this recollection and I’d love it confirmed if possible 

I recall the second half of the centenary match v Spurs only lasted 35 minutes as Tottenham had to catch a plane ,so wanted the second half cut short,  surely someone else could confirm this, I was 10 at the time 

Spurs equalised in the 84th minute, jbee, so probably not. 😊 

London Hearts the source.

Edited by martoon

6 hours ago, sadj said:

Could almost say 150 years 

Indeed. It's scary to think that I well remember the 1974 anniversary.  A third of our history has passed since then. 

Yep I remember 1974 well!

Scary really I couldn’t believe how old Hearts were then (100 years) and how long they had been in existence! Was in awe of all the ‘geriatrics’ that had followed Hearts through the glory years in the 1950s!

I met my wife on the day of the Centenary game vs Spurs! She still hates football, has only watched one Hearts match, away vs Airdrie when our bus got ‘bricked’! She has also travelled with me to QoS pre season friendly, Dublin & Munich in the UEFA Cup and will travel to Florence in 9 days time!

Looking forward to 2024 … incredible to think that many on here (JKB) have supported Hearts for 30% - 40% of the clubs existence and some will be able to claim 50% / 75 years of support!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

32 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Scary really I couldn’t believe how old Hearts were then (100 years) and how long they had been in existence! Was in awe of all the ‘geriatrics’ that had followed Hearts through the glory years in the 1950s!

I met my wife on the day of the Centenary game vs Spurs! She still hates football, has only watched one Hearts match, away vs Airdrie when our bus got ‘bricked’! She has also travelled with me to QoS pre season friendly, Dublin & Munich in the UEFA Cup and will travel to Florence in 9 days time!

Looking forward to 2024 … incredible to think that many on here (JKB) have supported Hearts for 30% - 40% of the clubs existence and some will be able to claim 50% / 75 years of support!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

The supporters are the one constant of any football club. 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

The supporters are the one constant of any football club. 

We are all constantly becoming bigger supporters… constantly supporting Hearts for a larger percentage of our lives and constantly supporting Hearts for a bigger percentage of the clubs existence!

Imagine being 100 years old in 2024 …

♥️♥️♥️♥️

I'd hope we get a proper written history of the club to mark the occasion. There hasn't been one since 1958.

There have been some half-hearted attempts, mostly just pictures with basic historical notes, a proper history over maybe two or three volumes would be great, along with a complete record of results.

Fxxx the SPFL
15 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

♥️♥️♥️♥️

my first game was 1961 Hamilton when i was four my late father (Hibby part time we lived in Wheatfield Place) took me can't remember it but that will be 61 years now that's 40% of Hearts existence. i do hope they bring out a decent book and have something fairly big organised. enjoy Florence lovely city

16 hours ago, martoon said:

Spurs equalised in the 84th minute, jbee, so probably not. 😊 

London Hearts the source.

Cheers, it’s something I probably heard on the day, and as young 10yo took it as gospel, and it’s been locked in the deep recesses of my mind for nearly 50 years 😊

On 02/10/2022 at 10:18, pettigrewsstylist said:

Sure i still have the tottenham programme somewhere, bright red cover if i recall.

That red cover was controversial at the time, what was the thinking behind that

id like to see the club produce a couple of comprehensive publications, a proper lavish book and produce a film or dvd.

it’s not everyday your 150

32 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Cheers, it’s something I probably heard on the day, and as young 10yo took it as gospel, and it’s been locked in the deep recesses of my mind for nearly 50 years 😊

Easily done, bud.

You pick stuff up in childhood, become convinced it's true, then, years later, find it's not. 😊

Samuel Camazzola
17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's only 03/10/2022, ATM.

The celebrations should kick off in 2023 since it'll be the start of our 150th year. 

Topped off with a two in a row Scottish Cup win to complete a cup double that season. 👍 

John Findlay
9 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Yes but we don’t want to leave it to last minute 

Have you e-mailed the club regarding your concerns?

On 02/10/2022 at 08:32, davemclaren said:

True 😄 but its Hearts we're talking about the 150 anniversary committee that was set up in 1975 are still in talks on who to invite as guests for the ceremonial friendly match 😆

Horrendous cover 🤔 

I'm sure the Hearts programme was the best there was produced in Scotland for those early years in the 1970s but this cover is not a sight for sore eyes. 

Screenshot_20221004_123843.jpg

1 hour ago, dannymack said:

Horrendous cover 🤔 

I'm sure the Hearts programme was the best there was produced in Scotland for those early years in the 1970s but this cover is not a sight for sore eyes. 

Maybe we were trying to antagonise our visitors with their rival's colour?

wentworth jambo
On 02/10/2022 at 08:01, dannymack said:

Would like to think this flag along with the League flags from 1958, 1960 and 1980 are still with the club.

That a young Cammy Fraser ??

Jambo 4 Ever
On 04/10/2022 at 12:34, dannymack said:

True 😄 but its Hearts we're talking about the 150 anniversary committee that was set up in 1975 are still in talks on who to invite as guests for the ceremonial friendly match 😆

🤣

A Shoreditch Heart
On 04/10/2022 at 12:40, dannymack said:

Horrendous cover 🤔 

I've still got the little booklet that came free with the programme from that game in '74

Hearts 1974.jpg

Jambo 4 Ever
On 02/10/2022 at 14:06, martoon said:

Good idea about Aston Villa

hopefully someone at the club is already on the case to organise stuff 

been here before
Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Email and suggest it. Let us know how you get on.

On 02/10/2022 at 08:01, dannymack said:

Screenshot_20210531-024854_eBay.jpg

Hearts%20Centenary%20flag%20raised.jpg

FB_IMG_1483028184231.jpg

Hearts v Motherwell 1973-1.jpg

Screenshot_20221002_075824.jpg

I'm pretty sure the old boy with the stick is my great uncle (grandad's brother) Harry Rankine from Balerno. He was definitely there after Hearts tried to find the oldest living fans. He was born in 1892 and my grandfather 1890. There were 3 other brothers, all jambos.

42 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Just seemed an obvious fit to me. It will be Villa's 150th too, which might make them more likely to get involved.

And we can all boo John McGinn again. 😃 

28 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

I'm pretty sure the old boy with the stick is my great uncle (grandad's brother) Harry Rankine from Balerno. He was definitely there after Hearts tried to find the oldest living fans. He was born in 1892 and my grandfather 1890. There were 3 other brothers, all jambos.

These guys were in fact the oldest surviving ex players still alive in 1974, Im sure one had been a member of the   1914 team (Low ?)

Cammy Fraser is there because he was the youngest full time player on the clubs books at the time

Im sure the programme for that game, v Motherwell Jan 74 will confirm who these old guys are, but they are definitely the oldest living players at that time

7 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

These guys were in fact the oldest surviving ex players still alive in 1974, Im sure one had been a member of the   1914 team (Low ?)

Cammy Fraser is there because he was the youngest full time player on the clubs books at the time

Im sure the programme for that game, v Motherwell Jan 74 will confirm who these old guys are, but they are definitely the oldest living players at that time

I still think it was a mistake selling Cammy to Dundee. 😄

4 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

You may well be right. I have a grainy silent video of Hearts history somewhere in which the camera pans along a group of old fans and my great uncle is definitely in it. Ironically my grandfather and three of his brothers were still living in 1974 (as were both his sisters - must have been something in the water!) but Harry was the only one they were able to contact.

• 1 month later...

It was interesting that Ann Budge at last nights HMSA meeting said that there are big plans to celebrate this - events, a special strip for the 2023/24 season. 

It got me thinking about what we could do or what we would like to see happen as fans. 

I think it’s an opportunity to properly celebrate a big milestone in our clubs history and I’d like to see it done in a really classy manner. 

Thoughts?

31 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

It was interesting that Ann Budge at last nights HMSA meeting said that there are big plans to celebrate this - events, a special strip for the 2023/24 season. 

It got me thinking about what we could do or what we would like to see happen as fans. 

I think it’s an opportunity to properly celebrate a big milestone in our clubs history and I’d like to see it done in a really classy manner. 

Thoughts?

Fully on board with this , I think we need to make a big deal out of it , and try and engage as many lapsed supporters as possible along the way . We all know loads of work mates or neighbours who are former attendees who now just catch Sportscene . We should try and draw them back in , and this is the perfect occasion . I would also like to see a statue or two on the plaza 

43 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

Thoughts?

Win the treble

• davemclaren changed the title to Hearts sesquicentennial celebrations ~ 1874-2024 ( merged )