• Wee Mikey

• Morgan

• Greedy Jambo

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

henrysmithsgloves
8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I thought that meant to port hole was open and a novice sailor was looking for the "golden rivet".🤫😂

henrysmithsgloves
9 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Ps ...

It's not often that you'll see an Ocarina getting highlighted ...

I'm going to watch/listen to these two again.

Thanks @henrysmithsgloves

I like your style. 😎

Bringing classics to the masses 👍😉

henrysmithsgloves
Just now, Wee Mikey said:

What?

Boiling water on an electric hob?

Without a bank loan?

Those were the days! 🙃

😂

It’s considered bad luck to whistle on a stage. I do it all the time and some people really don’t like it. Which of course makes me enjoy it all the more. 

Just now, Tazio said:

It’s considered bad luck to whistle on a stage. I do it all the time and some people really don’t like it. Which of course makes me enjoy it all the more. 

They used to use whistles to communicate backstage, so the wrong whistle at the wrong time could mean a heavy sandbag landing on your head.

I've always done it too, but I've also always made a point of checking for suspended sandbags.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

They used to use whistles to communicate backstage, so the wrong whistle at the wrong time could mean a heavy sandbag landing on your head.

I've always done it too, but I've also always made a point of checking for suspended sandbags.

I know. It goes back to when all the ropes and flying were done manually with hemp rope so ex sailors made up a lot of the crew backstage and they were used to that signalling technique from sailing ships. One of the few superstitions that actually makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

The sort of person who also says Macbeth?

I never whistle in a theatre as I am a little superstitious...

10 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

The sort of person who also says Macbeth?

I never whistle in a theatre as I am a little superstitious...

I wouldn’t do the MacBeth thing as some actors get genuinely freaked out by it and I’ve seen them go to pieces before a show because of it. Utter bullshit of course but it would be a mean thing to do. 

58 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I wouldn’t do the MacBeth thing as some actors get genuinely freaked out by it and I’ve seen them go to pieces before a show because of it. Utter bullshit of course but it would be a mean thing to do. 

That reminds me of an episode of blackadder. 

• 8 months later...
I P Knightley

I've just been on a number 2 bus and I think that the guy Morgan was thinking of in the OP was sitting a couple of seats behind me. 

Quite remarkable how he'd whistle 3 or 4 notes to the point that I was naming that tune before he veered off into something completely unconnected. Absolutely non effing stop.

1 hour ago, whodanny said:

Didn't he used to play for us ? Defender ?

Aye, right enough.

Walter Kiddnae Whistle.

35 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Aye, right enough.

Walter Kiddnae Whistle.

:laugh:  Not quite Morgan. I was thinking more along the lines of his namesake Brian. 

Brian Whittaker - Hearts Career - from 28 Jul 1984 to 03 May 1990

Edited by whodanny

All roads lead to Gorgie

The only place where whistling is acceptable is in a field with a fermer whistling instructions to his sheep dug. Whistling in public is gross 🤢

John Findlay

My first ship, the captain prohibited whistling, as it was seen as a sign of mutiny. This went back to the Invergordon mutiny of 1932(I think it was that year), when a whistle was the signal for the sailors to down tools and mutiny.

43 minutes ago, whodanny said:

:laugh:  Not quite Morgan. I was thinking more along the lines of his namesake Brian. 

Brian Whittaker - Hearts Career - from 28 Jul 1984 to 03 May 1990

Yes, Danny, I knew that!

👍