***Heart of Midlothian v Motherwell*** Match Thread

Scott Leitch

Captain Sausage

Huge opportunity to close the gap to third. Not a must-win, but a very nice one to pick up three points in none the less. 

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Rowles

Cochrane

Kio

Devlin

Snodgrass

Mckay

Henderson

Shankland

For me, Euan deserves a chance after his performance last night. If fit, Humphrys might be a better shout though. Sibbick in for either Halkett or Rowles if unavailable. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Clark in goals either. 

That team surely has enough for the win. 

Edited by Captain Sausage

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Hearts007

• Fozzyonthefence

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Motherwell seems to be hot or cold. Home wins are essential in these games, think their could be enough momentum from Thursday to carry us over the line here

All roads lead to Gorgie

One thing is almost certain and that is we are unlikely to keep a clean sheet with Van Veen probably licking his lips with the thought of crosses coming into his area. Even if Halkett and Rowles were to come in they will be rusty to start with so it's doubly important we do every to take chances at the other end, I believe we will with the fans right behind the team and we will win by two clear goals, I'll say 4-2.

9 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

This is effectively a 6 pointer! as h1b5 and aberdeen will play each other so something has to give there, the term a "must win" is an understatement for this match. If we win and h1b5 and aberdeen were to draw we will be sitting 1 point behind 3rd with a game in hand. Just do it hearts by any means necessary! Going 1-0 Snodgrass to score.

"must win" is an understatement?  What is it then?

16 hours ago, GinRummy said:

We were fortunate to win 3-0 through there. First goal is more vital in this or than usual. Take the game to them and show energy and we’ll win. 

Fortunate isn’t quite the word! They were all over us, but we were clinical and took every chance that came our way. When that happens to us v the OF or in Europe, we’re told that it’s the other team’s superior class telling. Not sure I can quite bring myself to claim that, but it was a great example of how you can win whilst playing poorly.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, graygo said:

"must win" is an understatement?  What is it then?

A must, must win?

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

They'll play each other again maybe 4 times and we've still to play them possibly 6 times. 

I like your dramatic build up, sky would be proud and although always good to win , it's not quite as desperate as you make out!

Nah we need to be winning all our home games v teams like Motherwell, Dundee Utd, Livi etc if we want to get back into Europe again. Anything other than a win is a poor result.

Confident we'll beat them - 2-0 Hearts, both VAR penalties for Shankland to tuck away (just to annoy Celtic)

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Nah we need to be winning all our home games v teams like Motherwell, Dundee Utd, Livi etc if we want to get back into Europe again. Anything other than a win is a poor result.

Confident we'll beat them - 2-0 Hearts, both VAR penalties for Shankland to tuck away (just to annoy Celtic)

It would be a poor result,  but we never beat relegated Dundee at home over 2 games and still finished 3rd, easily.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

21 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It would be a poor result,  but we never beat relegated Dundee at home over 2 games and still finished 3rd, easily.

The only thing you have to do to finish 3rd is finish above the 4th place team, "must win" games come at the end of the season if at all. 👍

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, graygo said:

The only thing you have to do to finish 3rd is finish above the 4th place team, "must win" games come at the end of the season if at all. 👍

Correct, Ofc they do.

**** knows were the bigger than must win games fit into.

7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Correct, Ofc they do.

Beats me too. 😄 

18 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

This season is different though, last season we got to 3rd place really early on & basically stayed there all year with very little threat to our position while Aberdeen were toiling in the bottom half / Hibs, Utd & Motherwell regularly dropped stupid points any time we slipped up ourselves, we basically didn't even have to fend off a challenge, then obviously Hibs decided to go full comedy mode in the new year.

This time we've ended up dropping back a bit, which considering everything with Europe & the WC creating a condensed fixture list along with missing so many key players was always on the cards, so we need to make sure we're not falling into the pitfalls the others did last season & get the ground made back up. Winning games we should be winning especially at Tynie is our ticket to doing that.

Will it be 'panic stations' if we don't win this weekend? No, but it's not something we can afford to be making a habit out of, regardless of whether we slipped up last season & still strolled 3rd or not. 

We've got 4 home games in our next 5, all ones we should be winning & imo need to be winning to kick on up the table, then we can punish the slip ups & get back in the driving seat come derby day.

With Rangers on Wed, it's a must win, anything else sets the tone for a mid table 5-6th position kind of season where we hear Neilson bemoan injuries for the next 6 months.

Would like to see stats on how often games are described as must win on match threads. Percentage must be very high 😀

It is a big opportunity though to get us right in the mix for third place which would be great in the circumstances.

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

This season is different though, last season we got to 3rd place really early on & basically stayed there all year with very little threat to our position while Aberdeen were toiling in the bottom half / Hibs, Utd & Motherwell regularly dropped stupid points any time we slipped up ourselves, we basically didn't even have to fend off a challenge, then obviously Hibs decided to go full comedy mode in the new year.

This time we've ended up dropping back a bit, which considering everything with Europe & the WC creating a condensed fixture list along with missing so many key players was always on the cards, so we need to make sure we're not falling into the pitfalls the others did last season & get the ground made back up. Winning games we should be winning especially at Tynie is our ticket to doing that.

Will it be 'panic stations' if we don't win this weekend? No, but it's not something we can afford to be making a habit out of, regardless of whether we slipped up last season & still strolled 3rd or not. 

We've got 4 home games in our next 5, all ones we should be winning & imo need to be winning to kick on up the table, then we can punish the slip ups & get back in the driving seat come derby day.

We've only dropped back 3 points v the same fixtures last season  ( beating celtic) although you'd expect other teams especially Aberdeen to do better this season like you say.

We won't wn every game v non of teams so although a win is always good, if we don't win we aren't doomed so it's not a must win game. 

Folk use that phrase way too much nowadays.

It annoys me.

Win on sunday then regardless of the games next week we’ll be in the mix for 3rd come the break, which is all we can ask for with the schedule we’ve had an injuries.

Think Snodgrass will prove to be crucial now he is up to speed and fresh. 

Can’t see Halkett coming straight back in but would be nice to bring him on if we were a couple of goals up.

I seem to have missed any news on Humphries, is he out till after the break?

14 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

Atkinson looked disappointed and shook his head after the final whistle during this bit that I have screenshot.

Screenshot_20221103-192847_Instagram.jpg

Think he was gutted he didn't take the chance to knock in his open goal with his boaby.  But sometimes these things only occur to you later, so he'll get over it

Right, assuming no one injured from the other night, but no one back either

Craigy

Natty Smith Toby Cochrane

Kio

Dev Snoddy

Gino Shanks McKay

Bit shan on Grant who was superb the other night and I think has a lot to give, not a bad bench building up all of a sudden though.

Would replace Smith with Rowles or Halks if fit, and switch with Tobes to get him on right.

If everyone back from injury team changes a lot as I'd include Levein, McLaren, Locke and Frail in the XI.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

My thoughts entirely.

Tbh, if we can decide such matters-I'd take it further-let's not concede in the entire game. 

pettigrewsstylist
22 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Let's not concede in the first five minutes. 

Let not stand back and watch free headers get gobbled up while looking at each other like a disorganised, just grab a bib and slot in, pub team.

4 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Let not stand back and watch free headers get gobbled up while looking at each other like a disorganised, just grab a bib and slot in, pub team.

But that;s what happens with Neilson and Sibbick at the heart of the defence. Their awareness of the opposition players and their movement is virtually non existent.

Can't see things improving until Halkett and Rowles are back and even then it will tale them a little while to get back to their pre injury form.

Edited by wavydavy

Gordon 

Atkinson Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Kio 

Ginnelly Devlin Snodgrass McKay

Shankland 

3-1 Hearts

The lack of options at CB are brutal. Hopefully Halks is back. 

Would go for another 5 at the back to get Smith and Atkinson in the team and maybe a midfield of Kio, Devlin, McKay and Snodrass. Hopefully Cochrane and Atkinson can add the width. 

The Hogfather

Really should be winning this and next weekend if we have any aspirations of finishing 3rd again. 6 points before the break are essential.

No easy games for us in this division . We are a good team but we have to fight and play well for the points . Motherwell are one of the better opponents . We are the home team and favourites , but you would not remember it as a massive upset if we lost or drew . Hopefully we take the game seriously and give a good performance which should see us win 

3-1 Shankland , Forrest , Snodgrass

5 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Correct, Ofc they do.

Earlier in the season you have must win games that are an understatement.  Then you have the actual must win games but only if you win the understatements.  If you are a really good team, you can even get some must win games that are overstated.  Like must win games after you've already won the league.  If you are shite team then the must win games can quickly become overstated relegation deciders, then relegation deciders, then understated relegation deciders.  And that's why they are must win games in the first win games in the first place.

Simple really.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon 

Atkinson Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Kio 

Ginnelly Devlin Snodgrass McKay

Shankland 

3-1 Hearts

This but Forrest starts for me - scored twice against them at Fir Park 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Earlier in the season you have must win games that are an understatement.  Then you have the actual must win games but only if you win the understatements.  If you are a really good team, you can even get some must win games that are overstated.  Like must win games after you've already won the league.  If you are shite team then the must win games can quickly become overstated relegation deciders, then relegation deciders, then understated relegation deciders.  And that's why they are must win games in the first win games in the first place.

Simple really.

Yip- agreed you only get to must win games if you win the earlier must win games,  likewise if you lose lots of must win games then the next game becomes a must win.

It's all must win or kaboom

Unless you draw. 

8 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

One thing is almost certain and that is we are unlikely to keep a clean sheet with Van Veen probably licking his lips with the thought of crosses coming into his area. Even if Halkett and Rowles were to come in they will be rusty to start with so it's doubly important we do every to take chances at the other end, I believe we will with the fans right behind the team and we will win by two clear goals, I'll say 4-2.

I'm extremely worried about him and corners. We've looked far from convincing at them and this zonal marking is giving me the fear. We need our players taking responsibility at set pieces and I think thats easier to do when we can say Kio on Van Veen for example. With everyone back for them anyway, it makes more sense than what we're doing just now IMO. 

Captain Canada

2-1 win for us (hopefully).

Clark

Smith Sibbick Halkett(?) Cochrane

Devlin Grant 

Gino Snodgrass Halliday

Shankland

Subs: Stewart, Neilson, Henderson, Kio, C.Smith, Atkinson(?), McKay, Forrest and Humphrys(?) 

I've gone for Clark because Neilson said a while back he'd get a chance before the World Cup and Gordon looks a bit weary at the moment. 

Grant had his best game for us yesterday and deserves another start. 

Gino, Snodgrass and Halliday should be relatively fresh compared to the other options. 

Sure to be a game of two halves. Theyve got real quality in the final third. Motherwell can blow hot and cold but generally I think we do quite well against them at home though Firhill isnt often too happy a hunting ground for us.

Its likely to be another learning curve, but with Robbie designing a system to both nullify and open up the visitors im confident of at least another point on the board. 

We' ll need to show bouncebackability and sustainability. Tynecastle is a great place to watch footie just now. 

4 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Clark

Smith

Sibbick

Rowles

Cochrane

Devlin

Kiomourtzoglou

Snodgrass

Ginnelly

Shankland

McKay

Have I missed something - is Rowles fit? 🤔

Edited by Thomaso

A win nothing else , even with he injuries we should have enough to beat them at home, followed up with a draw against Rangers 

Horatio Caine
8 hours ago, thewiseone said:

Sure to be a game of two halves. Theyve got real quality in the final third. Motherwell can blow hot and cold but generally I think we do quite well against them at home though Firhill isnt often too happy a hunting ground for us.

Its likely to be another learning curve, but with Robbie designing a system to both nullify and open up the visitors im confident of at least another point on the board. 

We' ll need to show bouncebackability and sustainability. Tynecastle is a great place to watch footie just now. 

They had a ground swap?

The Treasurer
7 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Any sort of win is absolutely vital. Hope Robbie has the players right up for this one and we have some injured players back.

Is a vital win game more important than a must win game 🤔