Toby Sibbick ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

Just now, BigAlim said:

I simultaneously like that defence yet can't justify Cochrane being dropped. I agree that we need a right back though, i think if you were naming our best 11 players regardless of position then Smith and Atkinson would be miles away yet one of them needs to be wedged in for balance. 

Cochrane is a tough one but in terms of left back he is a way behind Kingsley.  Kingsley isn’t really a centre-back so my view is play players where they are best. Of course we will always have injured players so Cochrane will probably play most weeks 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Cochrane is a tough one but in terms of left back he is a way behind Kingsley.  Kingsley isn’t really a centre-back so my view is play players where they are best. Of course we will always have injured players so Cochrane will probably play most weeks 

Wonder how Alex would do at right back

Just now, Smithee said:

Wonder how Alex would do at right back

Maybe worth a shot but he doesn’t use his right much. More likely to be left midfield in a four if McKay, Ginnelly, Forest are injured.  

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe worth a shot but he doesn’t use his right much. More likely to be left midfield in a four if McKay, Ginnelly, Forest are injured.  

Maybe Kingsley then, coming inside onto that left foot...

15 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

84% pass accuracy
100% tackle success rate
100% ground duels won
75% aerial duels won, & to top it off he committed ZERO fouls. 

👏 👏

Off the top of my head I'd say that was excellent.   Aerial duels usually much less than 100% for anyone.   Just one game but he keeps it up he'll have a great looking stat' average end of the season. 

download.jpeg

Edited by HMFC01

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I guess you're right, I think Kingsley and Cochrane are two our best players and I really like the link up they had down the left when we played the back three, but I also think that we lack the midfield attacking drive to compensate for a back five. It might be a strange thought but I genuinely believe that we have a really good selection of defensive options, I just think that Halkett is the difference between a great defence and a poor defence due to his style.

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

I guess you're right, I think Kingsley and Cochrane are two our best players and I really like the link up they had down the left when we played the back three, but I also think that we lack the midfield attacking drive to compensate for a back five. It might be a strange thought but I genuinely believe that we have a really good selection of defensive options, I just think that Halkett is the difference between a great defence and a poor defence due to his style.

👍👍

22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We've lost 12 goals in the last 4 league games alone, there's no way we can say one of the CHs has been outstanding

But we're saying it about Sibbick though 🤷‍♂️

LochcarronJambo
5 hours ago, bawheed said:

Just pleased you don't pick the team.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer, he has been really poor, but had a good game last night & i was really pleased, showed no evidence of producing that prior to last night…… be glad to be proved wrong but he needs to show aggression & show he can read the game against better opposition

1 minute ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

But we're saying it about Sibbick though 🤷‍♂️

Are we? Or are we saying he played well last night?

37 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We've lost 12 goals in the last 4 league games alone, there's no way we can say one of the CHs has been outstanding

Yeah, our inability to keep a clean sheet at the moment is extremely concerning. You can't go through a season starting every game essentially needing 2 goals to win. 

That said, I think there is a need to really praise Sibbick for his performance. The negatively has obviously had an effect on the lad and I'm hopeful that such a positive reaction maybe changes his head space. Seeing him with an ear to ear smile after the final whistle was really heart warming. He's had such a difficult start to his 2nd spell with us and I'm hoping he can take that confidence into the game against County. 

51 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Who would you drop? (in the fantasy scenario in which we have a fully fit defence)

We play our best when playing a 4-2-3-1 or some variation on that formation. Never been a fan of a back 3, especially with narrow wingers as Robbie tends to prefer. Kingsley would be first choice left back IMO.

4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I disagree.  I think a four means we have an extra attacking player in the oppositions face.   We play our best stuff when we get in the oppositions face. 4231 for me if not 442 for some games in the league. 

When we have Atkinson healthy, I think our 3-4-3 (which kinda turns into a 3-4-2-1) is plenty attacking because it can flex forward into a 3-2-5 or a 3-2-4-1 at times. We're too predictable in the 4-2-3-1 for me—if we're playing 4 at the back, I'd prefer the 4-1-4-1 that Robbie's been toying with recently.

4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Kingsley is our best left back.  Why would you want to play him in central defence. Rowles is ideal as left centre back. 

I know Kingsley likes to think of himself as a left back, and that's fine, but when he plays LCB he's one of our best players. If we're playing him and Rowles, yes, I'd move Kingsley out to LB, but that's also a bit harsh on Cochrane who's been incredibly consistent this year.

9 hours ago, Smithee said:

I like Kingsley a lot, but that's a stretch.

Kingsley is a superb LWB/LB, a very good LCH in a back 3 and less good at LCH in a 4.  If we weren't living in the unprecedented era of Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, he would probably be the Scotland LB.

Bizarrely this season has seen us undermine our best outfield player by consistently playing him completely out of position.  

For all his strengths Kingsley is very one footed which is not really a criticism given he is still essentially a full back.

However, playing him in the middle of a 3 is a complete waste of his skills and playing him on the right hand side whether it's a back 3 or a back 4 performs the not insignificant feat of turning Kingsley from being our best outfield player into at best bang ordinary and arguably even a bit of a liability.

Edited by David McCaig

6 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

When we have Atkinson healthy, I think our 3-4-3 (which kinda turns into a 3-4-2-1) is plenty attacking because it can flex forward into a 3-2-5 or a 3-2-4-1 at times. We're too predictable in the 4-2-3-1 for me—if we're playing 4 at the back, I'd prefer the 4-1-4-1 that Robbie's been toying with recently.

I know Kingsley likes to think of himself as a left back, and that's fine, but when he plays LCB he's one of our best players. If we're playing him and Rowles, yes, I'd move Kingsley out to LB, but that's also a bit harsh on Cochrane who's been incredibly consistent this year.

It just means that Cochrane has to raise his game to be become better than Kingsley or Rowles*

*or wait for an opportunity through injury... Which is as frequent as a train on the London Underground this season.

10 hours ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

Classic JKB he was shite last week now a world beater. A much improved display last night. Would love to see him push on and play week in week out at that level. That's the challenge for him now. 

No that is not fair or accurate for two reasons 

1- The posters praising him are the same posters who were telling those who abused him to rein it in , and to be patients because he will prove him self . It is not the the posters who were calling him shite suddenly calling him a world beater 

2- As @The Old Tolbooth posted he was not merely competent as you asserted , he had an absolutely out standing match with perfect stats in some areas 

All that has happened , is the the posters who backed him , and who asked the others who were calling him shite to be more patient have been proved right , and those calling him shite have been proved wrong . It is that simple

Some will now be desperately waiting for him to have a bad game of course because being seen to be right is more important to some than the team doing well 

Edited by Sooks

Dick Dastardly
31 minutes ago, Sooks said:

1- The posters praising him are the same posters who were telling those who abused him to rein it in , and to be patients because he will prove him self . It is not the the posters who were calling him shite suddenly calling him a world beater 

2- As @The Old Tolbooth posted he was not merely competent as you asserted , he had an absolutely out standing match with perfect stats in some areas 

All that has happened , is the the posters who backed him , and who asked the others who were calling him shite to be more patient have been proved right , and those calling him shite have been proved wrong . It is that simple

Some will now be desperately waiting for him to have a bad game of course because being seen to be right is more important to some than the team doing well 

Good post

Sibbick has had a tough time of it recently. His form has been poor. 

He has proven though, as he did once before, that there is potential there.

He's only 23. He's going to have games where he will make mistakes. He will have bad days. Hopefully though he continues to develop and grows into a great player for us. He certainly has all the physical attributes needed to do so. He just needs to keep building that mental awareness and experience.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Fair point. Although dont think you can say folk calling him shite have been proved wrong just yet. Needs to put a run of good games together now, encouraging definitely. I still see him as a right back/wing back but eould be delighted if he becomes a replacement for Souttar long term.

7 minutes ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

Fair point. Although dont think you can say folk calling him shite have been proved wrong just yet. Needs to put a run of good games together now, encouraging definitely. I still see him as a right back/wing back but eould be delighted if he becomes a replacement for Souttar long term.

It is more about people calling him shite in the first place mate . No mitigation for joining mid way through the season or needing time to settle , just written off as shite . Some people just want to be the first to say ………….. I knew he was shite before every one else , I said it when every one else was praising the signing . Some thing similar was starting to happen with Devlin recently , and currently people are doing it with Savage 

Not accusing you of this by the way , I am just hoping the next player after Kio gets cut a bit more slack , once he has turned in to one of our better players 

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

It is more about people calling him shite in the first place mate . No mitigation for joining mid way through the season or needing time to settle , just written off as shite . Some people just want to be the first to say ………….. I knew he was shite before every one else , I said it when every one else was praising the signing . Some thing similar was starting to happen with Devlin recently , and currently people are doing it with Savage 

Not accusing you of this by the way , I am just hoping the next player after Kio gets cut a bit more slack , once he has turned in to one of our better players 

Nature of the beast unfortunately. He's not been helped by injuries and unsettled side. Thursday is the standard he needs to get to week in week out. Not convinced he's a centre half but we'll see.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

I think this is rather simplifying things. As I posted earlier on this thread I have been very critical of Sibbick and had virtually given up that he was going to come good. I still have doubts but acknowledged that he had an excellent game on Thursday and has had some other decent games recently. Personally I will be more than happy if Sibbick makes me eat my words. In fact I was genuinely happy for the guy on Thursday night.

On your last point, I think there's definitely something in that. But I don't think it's a case of fans desperately wanting him to have a bad game - I think it's more a classic case of confirmation bias, which we are all guilty of in various situations i.e. we make our mind up about something and therefore almost subconsciously we just pick out and overplay things that vindicate us. Basically we find it difficult to admit to ourselves - let alone others - that we may be wrong about something.

One thing I will add though is that I will never understand the mentality of fans who boo individual players, as happened with Sibbick towards the end of last season. A player who is playing badly, whether due to low confidence or simply lack of ability, is hardly going to improve as a result of being booed. It's just a mindless thing to do.

1 minute ago, stirlo said:

I think this is rather simplifying things. As I posted earlier on this thread I have been very critical of Sibbick and had virtually given up that he was going to come good. I still have doubts but acknowledged that he had an excellent game on Thursday and has had some other decent games recently. Personally I will be more than happy if Sibbick makes me eat my words. In fact I was genuinely happy for the guy on Thursday night.

On your last point, I think there's definitely something in that. But I don't think it's a case of fans desperately wanting him to have a bad game - I think it's more a classic case of confirmation bias, which we are all guilty of in various situations i.e. we make our mind up about something and therefore almost subconsciously we just pick out and overplay things that vindicate us. Basically we find it difficult to admit to ourselves - let alone others - that we may be wrong about something.

One thing I will add though is that I will never understand the mentality of fans who boo individual players, as happened with Sibbick towards the end of last season. A player who is playing badly, whether due to low confidence or simply lack of ability, is hardly going to improve as a result of being booed. It's just a mindless thing to do.

Good and fair post 

2 minutes ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

Nature of the beast unfortunately. He's not been helped by injuries and unsettled side. Thursday is the standard he needs to get to week in week out. Not convinced he's a centre half but we'll see.

I prefer him at right back my self 

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Now that’s not accurate either.  Virtually everyone bar the usual one or two trolls were praising him on Thursday night. 

He had a fantastic 45 minutes on Thursday night.  That doesn’t prove anyone right or wrong in the same way a shite 45 minutes on Sunday won’t  prove the doubters wrong either. 

12 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

First choice back four for me this season is Smith Halkett Rowles and Kingsley. Next season we need a replacement right back and possibly a replacement right centre back, though Neilson or Sibbick could be that player. 

I'd like to see a back 3 of Sibbick Halkett and Kingsley get a run together.

Sibbick and Kingsley's distribution alongside Halkett's robust defensive qualities could really work.

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Now that’s not accurate either.  Virtually everyone bar the usual one or two trolls were praising him on Thursday night. 

He had a fantastic 45 minutes on Thursday night.  That doesn’t prove anyone right or wrong in the same way a shite 45 minutes on Sunday won’t  prove the doubters wrong either. 

There's a massive difference between booing a player and calling him Shite, to having a Shite 45 minutes on Sunday. 

The doubters have been proved wrong, he's not Shite, far from it in actual fact.

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

He is glaringly not shite , if you can not see that then there is no hope for you

He has had some bad games and incidents and he has been good , then he has a brilliant match like Thursday …………. If you add all that up it clearly points to a player who has the ability but has struggled with form and confidence for what ever reason . What it absolutely and undeniably does prove though , is that he is not shite 

13 hours ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

Classic JKB he was shite last week now a world beater. A much improved display last night. Would love to see him push on and play week in week out at that level. That's the challenge for him now. 

Correct. Some are getting a touch carried away. Asking who we drop when Halkett and Rowles are fit?

The answer is Sibbick, unless he can prove Thursday wasn’t a one off. Which I hope he does.

12 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I like Cochrane think he is a class player superb first touch. 
With injuries we need all these guys as it’s showing now but halkett is the first name on the sheet for me 

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Correct. Some are getting a touch carried away. Asking who we drop when Halkett and Rowles are fit?

The answer is Sibbick, unless he can prove Thursday wasn’t a one off. Which I hope he does.

Sibbick in front of back 4 would make us a tough unit 

4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I dont think people are getting carried away , they are happy for one of our players who was getting hounded and called all kinds of shite , and they are wanting to try and support him through it . The people who were getting carried away were the ones writing him off as shite and refusing to accept that he could come good 

17 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

He should get a few games to show his mettle, one way or other, over the next few weeks.   

34 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I'd like to see a back 3 of Sibbick Halkett and Kingsley get a run together.

Sibbick and Kingsley's distribution alongside Halkett's robust defensive qualities could really work.

Rowles will become our best player I reckon, he's got the defensive qualities and the distribution, and from what I've seen he proper knows his position.

If fit, he's a first pick for me.

I'd like to see cochrane left back and Kingsley Left midfield and they can swap/overlap whenever they fancy it. Kingsley is one of our best crossers and is such a threat outside the box. It's criminal wasting him at centre half when halkett and rowles come back 

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Rowles will become our best player I reckon, he's got the defensive qualities and the distribution, and from what I've seen he proper knows his position.

If fit, he's a first pick for me.

Bit of a big claim based on 4 or 5 games!

Just now, Martin_T said:

Bit of a big claim based on 4 or 5 games!

It is, but I'm confident! It's also based on reputation, position in the Aussie team, body language, apparent confidence, ability on the ball and off it, and he's only a year older than Sibbick.

On 23/10/2022 at 12:29, Philfigo said:

Sibbick seems to have no pace, very timid in the challenge, passes the ball anywhere as he panics, no awareness of opposition players and for him to get the ball under control with his first touch it takes him a life time. Hope he comes good but with all of the above can't see any chance of that. 

A bit more evidence as to why I unapologetically consider this to be 'utter drivel'. Toby 'No Pace' Sibbick was a highly regarded 100m sprinter in his youth as per the Evening News story below.

I honestly think that this is possibly the most inaccurate, nonsense, and just utterly wrong evaluation of a player I've ever read on here.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/toby-sibbicks-transformation-into-a-hearts-cult-hero-with-his-own-song-and-stats-behind-the-redemption-3897587

9 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

A bit more evidence as to why I unapologetically consider this to be 'utter drivel'. Toby 'No Pace' Sibbick was a highly regarded 100m sprinter in his youth as per the Evening News story below.

I honestly think that this is possibly the most inaccurate, nonsense, and just utterly wrong evaluation of a player I've ever read on here.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/toby-sibbicks-transformation-into-a-hearts-cult-hero-with-his-own-song-and-stats-behind-the-redemption-3897587

We need more pace in the ……………. oh

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

He is glaringly not shite , if you can not see that then there is no hope for you

He has had some bad games and incidents and he has been good , then he has a brilliant match like Thursday …………. If you add all that up it clearly points to a player who has the ability but has struggled with form and confidence for what ever reason . What it absolutely and undeniably does prove though , is that he is not shite 

Where did I say he was shite in my post?  I was saying one game, good or bad, doesn’t prove he is shite or good.   You have to admit though,  the poor performances far outweigh the good?  He has had plenty shite performances, that is undeniable.  He has never reached the level he did on Thursday before but it does prove he has it in him.  We just need to see it come out more often. 

If he carries on playing like he did in the 2nd half on Thursday then he’ll be first name on the teamsheet but if he carries on like he was before Thursday then he’ll be stuck on the bench, no?  Halkett and Rowles are first pick CBS, so unless we go back to a back 3 then maybe a shot at RB is his best bet?

2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Where did I say he was shite in my post?  I was saying one game, good or bad, doesn’t prove he is shite or good.   You have to admit though,  the poor performances far outweigh the good?  He has had plenty shite performances, that is undeniable.  He has never reached the level he did on Thursday before but it does prove he has it in him.  We just need to see it come out more often. 

If he carries on playing like he did in the 2nd half on Thursday then he’ll be first name on the teamsheet but if he carries on like he was before Thursday then he’ll be stuck on the bench, no?  Halkett and Rowles are first pick CBS, so unless we go back to a back 3 then maybe a shot at RB is his best bet?

He had a good pre season and played very well against Celtic. Thursday’s match made it very clear to everyone is that he has huge potential. He is a very decent prospect but like all young players needs to develop further. Playing with more experienced defenders will bring him on. Playing with the likes on Natty doesn’t work.

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

He’s always had pace 👍🏽, he might actually do a job at RB also. Glad he’s shown the form we knew he was capable of, onwards and upwards for him now. 

31 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I was talking to someone else about people calling him shite . That was the whole basis of the conversation that you entered 

With Sibbick it’s perfectly fine to say you still have reservations about him and want him to play well on a more consistent basis. But there have been plenty who have said things like “worst player ever to wear maroon” and “never a Hearts level player in a million years”, “will never make it”. It was extremes like this that were argued against by me and others from the beginning. Ridiculous over the top hyperbole that as soon as a player makes one mistake or has one bad game some ‘fans’ like to revert to. Why, I dunno, to claim some ‘win’ by saying it early enough if proven right?

Any road, Sibbick proved himself with us in his first spell, as well as helping Barnsley to the Championship playoff under Valerian Ismael. So he never was a shite player or even being close to the ‘worst’ before he kicked a ball his second spell. He’s shown plenty since he’s been back (particularly his first few games) to show he’s good and has ability. Thursday night goes to show he can be excellent.

So although folk have every right to say he has a lot left to prove, no one should ever again say he’s anything like the worst player we’ve had or shite. And there’s an argument - a strong argument - that anyone saying any such thing about him at any point in his second spell, considering what he did before, was talking utter shite out their arse.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

9 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

With Sibbick it’s perfectly fine to say you still have reservations about him and want him to play well on a more consistent basis. But there have been plenty who have said things like “worst player ever to wear maroon” and “never a Hearts level player in a million years”, “will never make it”. It was extremes like this that were argued against by me and others from the beginning. Ridiculous over the top hyperbole that as soon as a player makes one mistake or has one bad game some ‘fans’ like to revert to. Why, I dunno, to claim some ‘win’ by saying it early enough if proven right?

Any road, Sibbick proved himself with us in his first spell, as well as helping Barnsley to the Championship playoff under Valerian Ismael. So he never was a shite player or even being close to the ‘worst’ before he kicked a ball his second spell. He’s shown plenty since he’s been back (particularly his first few games) to show he’s good and has ability. Thursday night goes to show he can be excellent.

So although folk have every right to say he has a lot left to prove, no one should ever again say he’s anything like the worst player we’ve had or shite. And there’s an argument - a strong argument - that anyone saying any such thing about him at any point in his second spell, considering what he did before, was talking utter shite out their arse.

First paragraph is totally spot on

was the same for Zaliukas , Karipidis and Pressley and it will prove to be the case with Kio too

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

I can only comment on what I have witnessed in previous games. If he is so fast he rarely used it so far in the games that I've seen. Again only my opinion and I am sure that my opinion if its utter drivel will  be in a tiny minority so no need to get your nickers I'm a twist. Massively dramatic of you to claim that it's the most inaccurate opinion of a player you have ever read on kickback, if so then at least I have an accolade on kickback. I repeat if Toby keeps he form from Thursday going forward I'll be delighted and wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Philfigo said:

I can only comment on what I have witnessed in previous games. If he is so fast he rarely used it so far in the games that I've seen. Again only my opinion and I am sure that my opinion if its utter drivel will  be in a tiny minority so no need to get your nickers I'm a twist. Massively dramatic of you to claim that it's the most inaccurate opinion of a player you have ever read on kickback, if so then at least I have an accolade on kickback. I repeat if Toby keeps he form from Thursday going forward I'll be delighted and wrong. 

But all of the rest of that to one side for a minute , you thought he was slow and he clearly is not . I can not even think of an incident where he looked slow . His positioning has been suspect at centre back a few times but I have never looked at him and thought he was slow  

53 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Well said.

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )