Toby Sibbick ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

I’m maybe being harsh on him but he gave the ball away cheaply today but did have a hand in the first 2 goals. Maybe it’s because we are used to seeing him play so well most weeks that when he does give it away you notice it more.

Fair. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Bazzas right boot

Brilliant today.

Him and Rowles won a lot of headers and tackles. 

Sibbick was very good. 

However,  I think the hibs forward line suits him, by that I mean  they aren't that physical and are more nimble/ technical players. 

Sibbick v a guy like Curtis Main gives me more concern, that is when we need aggression and winning headers as opposed to tackling and keeping pace with players.

Hibs forwards  imo play more to Sibbicks ( and Rowles) strengths, it's defending long diagonals and big punts in the box that are the issue.

heartsfc_fan
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Brilliant today.

Sibbick was very good. 

However,  I think the hibs forward line suits him, by that I mean  they aren't that physical and are more nimble/ technical players. 

Sibbick v a guy like Curtis Main gives me more concern, that is when we need aggression and winning headers as opposed to tackling and keeping pace with players.

Hibs forwards  imo play more to Sibbicks ( and Rowles) strengths, it's defending long diagonals and big punts in the box that are the issue.

Fair summary

I think the support he gets is because you can see he's not far away .

Confidence means so much.

Think us older supporters have to tip our hats to the young "ultras" .

Not long ago the groans from us lot might not have been the right atmosphere for him.

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Man of the match by a mile by the end of the game. So glad he’s showing form that matches the potential.

Man of the match was Snodgrass by a ridiculous distance. Let’s be sensible. 

BackOfTheNet
12 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Man of the match was Snodgrass by a ridiculous distance. Let’s be sensible. 

Tell that to the match day sponsors, who had three different MOTM and they were Sibbick, Shankland and Rowles. So not even Top 3 for Snodgrass according to them. Personally I thought Snodgrass would’ve been 3rd choice. At half time Shankland was in front in the running, but given the second half was primarily played in our box and the challenges, headers, clearances, blocks and tackles Sibbick won hes MOTM for me. None of our forward or midfield players (or substitute wing backs) can claim to have had an above average second half, but our three centre backs and keeper could.

BackOfTheNet

Football is about opinions, and I get the respect Snodgrass warrants and why we should all be (and are) excited to have him with us. But although I can see people coming away from that game singing his praises to the hilt, I genuinely can’t see how anyone can think anyone other than Sibbick was MOTM today. As I say, that’s football opinions though. Suppose as I should just be grateful people have changed their tune from the first pages of this thread.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Football is about opinions, and I get the respect Snodgrass warrants and why we should all be (and are) excited to have him with us. But although I can see people coming away from that game singing his praises to the hilt, I genuinely can’t see how anyone can think anyone other than Sibbick was MOTM today. As I say, that’s football opinions though. Suppose as I should just be grateful people have changed their tune from the first pages of this thread.

Sibbick was good today but Snodgrass pretty much controlled how we played first half he is an absolute rolls Royce of a player in this league. Not much in it with Sibbick though he done very well done great tackles and blocks today, think we are now seeing why we signed him last year.

Sibbick was MOTM today on his 1st half performance alone.

If you attended the game you know exactly that.

Different viewing on the tellybox, i appreciate that.

He was assured, confident and absolutely dominant today.

Really pleased for him.

4 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Really pleased for him.

Well said, he was excellent, as were Snodgrass & Clarke

mickycameron98
2 hours ago, Chevy Chase said:

Initially at the game I thought he was at fault in the lead up to the chance that allowed him to make that tackle…

Watching on Alba it was a poor pass from Devlin (who had a poor game throughout other than his work in the build up to the opener).

Tremendous tackle but from a hibs point of view, I cannot understand why their attacker slowed to such an extent.

Compare and contrast with Humphrys….

Devlin had a great game I thought

38 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Tell that to the match day sponsors, who had three different MOTM and they were Sibbick, Shankland and Rowles. So not even Top 3 for Snodgrass according to them. Personally I thought Snodgrass would’ve been 3rd choice. At half time Shankland was in front in the running, but given the second half was primarily played in our box and the challenges, headers, clearances, blocks and tackles Sibbick won hes MOTM for me. None of our forward or midfield players (or substitute wing backs) can claim to have had an above average second half, but our three centre backs and keeper could.

I don't need to tell it to the match day sponsors who are often mate. They are largely irrelevant to the reality. I was in the Skyline today so am fully aware who picks such 'awards'! 

The 3 mentioned were some of our best players without doubt but anyone and I mean anyone watching that game that couldn't see Snodgraas was the best player on the park is clearly watching a different game. He's been basically our best player in virtually every game he's played in maroon. Every time he plays it shows the massive gulf in the level he has played at than the vast majority of SPL players. His body position, willingness to take possession and keep it for us is something few have come close to being as good at in decades. JJ suggested today that he would have been a huge asset to the 98 side, enough said! 

So as you don't think I'm suggesting Sibbick wasn't worthy of praise today, I thought again he was way better at Tynecastle than for instance he was at Perth midweek and is clearly someone who thrives on making good decisions early. Lots of potential.

Rowles, in my opinion, will sell for the most amount of money of any outfield player in our history. He is exceptionally talented, a little raw at times but can be top class. He was brilliant today. And Shankland's efforts and goals speak for themselves.

But Snodgrass has quickly become our best and easily our most consistent player. He's an example to everyone. 

BackOfTheNet
11 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

I don't need to tell it to the match day sponsors who are often mate. They are largely irrelevant to the reality. I was in the Skyline today so am fully aware who picks such 'awards'! 

The 3 mentioned were some of our best players without doubt but anyone and I mean anyone watching that game that couldn't see Snodgraas was the best player on the park is clearly watching a different game. He's been basically our best player in virtually every game he's played in maroon. Every time he plays it shows the massive gulf in the level he has played at than the vast majority of SPL players. His body position, willingness to take possession and keep it for us is something few have come close to being as good at in decades. JJ suggested today that he would have been a huge asset to the 98 side, enough said! 

So as you don't think I'm suggesting Sibbick wasn't worthy of praise today, I thought again he was way better at Tynecastle than for instance he was at Perth midweek and is clearly someone who thrives on making good decisions early. Lots of potential.

Rowles, in my opinion, will sell for the most amount of money of any outfield player in our history. He is exceptionally talented, a little raw at times but can be top class. He was brilliant today. And Shankland's efforts and goals speak for themselves.

But Snodgrass has quickly become our best and easily our most consistent player. He's an example to everyone. 

Plenty on this thread alone agree with my assertion, and plenty agree with yours. We all watched the same game, have different opinions, that’s it. I guess where I’m at is Snodgrass could have been MOTM if we didn’t spend almost the entire second half defending in our own half. He had little influence on preventing that happening. He did, however, show immense composure on the ball to keep possession when we rarely had it and was indeed excellent. But over the course of the 90, if it’s not for the back three and Clark, that’s not a clean sheet and potential for more to happen. And Sibbick was the most outstanding out those four players - that’s why for me he’s MOTM by a mile - because he directly contributed to the result more, especially second half. But I respect your opinion and know you won’t change it either. :smile:

Edited by BackOfTheNet

11 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Plenty on this thread alone agree with my assertion, and plenty agree with yours. We all watched the same game, have different opinions, that’s it. I guess where I’m at is Snodgrass could have been MOTM if we didn’t spend almost the entire second half defending in our own half. He had little influence on preventing that happening. He did, however, show immense composure on the ball to keep possession when we rarely had it and was indeed excellent. But over the course of the 90, if it’s not for the back three and Clark, that’s not a clean sheet and potential for more to happen. And Sibbick was the most outstanding out those four players - that’s why for me he’s MOTM by a mile - because he directly contributed to the result more, especially second half. But I respect your opinion and know you won’t change it either. :smile:

Fair play mate. 

Sibbick was excellent and helped stop the general momentum of the 2nd half. I am delighted for him that is getting recognised. 

For me Snodgrass is just such a leader and his influence being lessened in the 2nd half is part of a bigger problem in our game management, attitude and desire. to kill off teams. Frankly I hope he can have words about with RN. It is a major concern, all be it one for another day, that once again we allowed a pish poor Hibs team any sort of hope when we should have stood on their throats. 

best in the land

Sibbick getting better after a shaky start.

He should keep his place in this form even when injured players return imo.

15 minutes ago, best in the land said:

Sibbick getting better after a shaky start.

He should keep his place in this form even when injured players return imo.

Sibbick is now a first pick as who knows when Halkett will be fit. His confidence is increasing and he put in yet another class performances today.

2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Really pleased for him.

Well I was a the match and Sibbick played well but was the least good of an excellent back three. Snodgrass was clearly MOTM.

Sibbick continues to improve but also continues to make potentially damaging errors of judgement. His pace is a great asset.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Devlin was sloppy in possession at times but his energy and ball winning was absolutely key today. It’s nonsense to say he had a bad game.

This 

loveofthegame

Was excellent yesterday, even if his best tackle came from his own mistake- if Youan wasn't so poor and hadn't dwelt on the ball for so long then we might be having a different discussion this morning, but as it happened he did and that allowed Toby back to make an outstanding recovery tackle.

Still think we need another right footed CH and should send Neilson on loan to the Championship for the second half of the season to get some game time at a decent level.

i wish jj was my dad
13 hours ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Bumping this as I crucified him earlier in this thread. 

Sometimes you just get things wrong.

Utterly outstanding today.

Good bump. 

The laddie has taken a lot of stick and too many of us have been guilty of that. Fwiw, I think he turned the corner at Almondvale and has been pretty solid since. 

Hats off. 

i wish jj was my dad
12 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Fantastic work by the coaches you have to say, Toby has been out the team and he’s clearly worked his socks off, come back stronger and better in every department. That’s a sign of a coaching department at the top of their game. The standards of Heart of Midlothian are being enforced an absolute machine today 

Would love to see the same thing happen with Lewis Neilson but obviously he is a bit younger plenty of time, coaching and hard work ahead for him. 

Good point. 

Some of the more rabid Neilson ooters have been missing since the up turn but the staff deserve praise for sticking by Toby and helping him through this. 

A_A wehatethehibs
23 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Was excellent yesterday, even if his best tackle came from his own mistake- if Youan wasn't so poor and hadn't dwelt on the ball for so long then we might be having a different discussion this morning, but as it happened he did and that allowed Toby back to make an outstanding recovery tackle.

Still think we need another right footed CH and should send Neilson on loan to the Championship for the second half of the season to get some game time at a decent level.

It wasn’t Toby’s mistake it was a shocking pass from Devlin

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Good point. 

Some of the more rabid Neilson ooters have been missing since the up turn but the staff deserve praise for sticking by Toby and helping him through this. 

He just looks more physical, more competitive. There’s a bite there. I reckon Jig has got the boots on in training and been dusting off the old elbows

pettigrewsstylist
11 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Brilliant today.

Sibbick was very good. 

We do need a commanding CB, im in no doubt.

35 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

To his foot ? 😂 Hardly a shocking pass, Toby switched off. Great reviver and tackle though. He’s playing well but still needs a commanding centre back beside imo. 

loveofthegame
44 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Would need to see it back but at the time just looked like an error from Toby. Either way, he made up for it and we won 3-0 so I'll not lose too much sleep over it!

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

To his foot ? 😂 Hardly a shocking pass, Toby switched off. Great reviver and tackle though. He’s playing well but still needs a commanding centre back beside imo. 

It was a yard to his right and a yard too heavy, with the Hibs striker far too close. Both decision and execution poor by Devlin, put his teammate in trouble. 

i wish jj was my dad
11 hours ago, LochcarronJambo said:

Snodgrass was unbelievably good, easily MOM

Yip. Head and shoulders. That's no slight on anybody else either. 

Even at the beginning when Toby was taking a few games to settle in you could see the potential he had, very good technical ability and very fast. He has been doing well recently and still has the potential with good coaching to get even better. To get to a higher level he needs to continue working on his positioning and to improve his heading. He could become one of the best ever centre half’s to play for the club.

17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It was a yard to his right and a yard too heavy, with the Hibs striker far too close. Both decision and execution poor by Devlin, put his teammate in trouble. 

Wasn’t the greatest pass in the world but Toby took his eye of the ball imo, either hardly a shocker of a pass. Anyway he recovered brilliantly. 

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

This. I can only assume anyone who thinks this has only watched at the game once and hasn’t had a benefit of a replay, there’s a reason Sibbick gets up and shouts at Devlin as soon as the tackle is made.

25 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Agreed, Cammy should’ve made the pass… obvious danger and his pass was awful.

Nelly Terraces
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Spot on & this needs repeating. Think like most people I initially thought it was Tobys error letting the hobo in on goal but watching it again it was a poor pass from Devlin that caused it. Sibbick has been different class the last 2 games, he had a few poorer passes v St Js but even those disappeared yesterday.

Well done to the boy & the fans singing his name to the rafters must make him feel great as well. Definitely in a more positive place for him & us than a few months ago.

LochcarronJambo
13 hours ago, CMc said:

Really hope someone makes a GIF of fish’s reaction when he checks the wrong shoulder, does a cartoon puzzled face, checks the other shoulder, pauses, and does a beautiful cartoon double take as Cam makes off with the ball, his house keys and his watch. 

It was glorious. 

A special moment

Sibbick is great one on one, faced up a few Hibs players who got past our wing backs, and snuffed out any danger.

He's also starting to run forward with the ball and make supporting runs.

After a shoogly start to his mark 2 Hearts career, he's settling in, improving, and starting to look the business.

St Mirren have a lot of big physical players. It'll be a tough examination for us in the air particularly.

Edited by naeclue

Fast becoming a favourite player for me. That tackle was so clinical, if he mistimed that by a milli then pen with sending off. Very very good game. Now confirmed Halkett out for season so he can now properly stake his place. 

A_A wehatethehibs
59 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Wasn’t the greatest pass in the world but Toby took his eye of the ball imo, either hardly a shocker of a pass. Anyway he recovered brilliantly. 

It’s all about opinions but here is a screenshot of Toby, the tallest longest legged player at the club, at full stretch behind him to to his right trying to reach that ball.

I suppose, I’ll put it this way. If it was Snodgrass playing that pass it’d have been a lot more careful and precise, right into feet at the right weight giving toby enough time to control and execute, which is absolutely vital when a midfielder is playing it back to his high line Center back under pressure. That pass needs to be executed with utmost care and precision and I just felt it was careless. Too heavy and not accurate enough. Maybe “shocking” is too harsh on cammy but inaccurate, it was. 

Equally Sibbick probably could have tried to clear it rather than control it I can accept that. Just swung a stronger boot and dived at it to send it away somewhere. 

BEEBBAA3-D74C-42B0-8F13-AAB2139CD105.jpeg

Looked to me like a bad ball from Devlin. Too hard and wide of his man. Not his only poor pass in the game. Thought he was pretty poor other than his chase down for the first goal.

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It’s all about opinions but here is a screenshot of Toby, the tallest longest legged player at the club, at full stretch behind him to to his right trying to reach that ball.

I suppose, I’ll put it this way. If it was Snodgrass playing that pass it’d have been a lot more careful and precise, right into feet at the right weight giving toby enough time to control and execute, which is absolutely vital when a midfielder is playing it back to his high line Center back under pressure. That pass needs to be executed with utmost care and precision and I just felt it was careless. Too heavy and not accurate enough. Maybe “shocking” is too harsh on cammy but inaccurate, it was. 

Equally Sibbick probably could have tried to clear it rather than control it I can accept that. Just swung a stronger boot and dived at it to send it away somewhere. 

BEEBBAA3-D74C-42B0-8F13-AAB2139CD105.jpeg

Yep all fair enough I just felt like for a split second he took his eye off the ball. Maybe a bit of both, Either way a few months ago he wouldn’t have made such a tremendous recovery. 

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, hisnameis said:

Looked to me like a bad ball from Devlin. Too hard and wide of his man. Not his only poor pass in the game. Thought he was pretty poor other than his chase down for the first goal.

He has a lot of potential and an absolutely fantastic engine however it’s crystal clear why he didn’t manage to displace Jackson Irvine and Aaron Mooy in the Aussie team, 2 very very good passers of a ball.

Cammy has the fitness engine for the absolute top elite level of the game but his passing must improve

There's no doubt (having now seen the replays) that that incident was purely Devlin's fault.  Thought at the time it was Sibbick.

In fact, Toby just posted about keeping a clean sheet on Instagram and Devlin commented with a relieved emoji saying 'thank you'.

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )