Toby Sibbick ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I was one of the very few who never doubted him.

I remember a few boys laughing in the boozer when I was saying not to give up on him and he was still young enough to turn it around.

Glad to have been proven right :pleasing:

every Hearts fan will be pleased you were proven right. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

RudolfTheKing51
On 05/09/2022 at 17:27, BlueRiver said:

I’m genuinely trying to think back to some of the examples given as comparisons and I honestly can’t recall them looking as out of their depth as often as Sibbick does when he plays for us. It’s not like it’s once every 6 games or something, there’s moments in every match where he’s caught completely out of position. 

I feel for him being targeted by boo boys but I honestly think some of the arguments being made on here are more attempts to correct that than engaging with how he plays. 

People seem to forget very quickly, that souttar cost us a goal every game he played up until the last 2 seasons. Souttar was just as rough, Constabtly made mistakes, Had no Ariel prowes, and was pretty stinking defensivly, but with time and the right people beside him (Berra,Hughes) he became a solid CB we were sad to see go. 

I think if your going to target toby as being not good enough, your not looking at the right things, He’s been punted pillar to post, without a consistent run of games until now, He’s been shipped into a settled back four for the odd game here and there or launched on the last 10 minutes to hold a lead. The European game was a prime example, Brought on to firm us up after an Injury, Zurich brought on the wee lad that’s now ripping it up at Leeds, Boy scores after beating toby with great skill and suddenly we had folk all around the stadium screaming for him to **** off and never play again. We were under the cosh after the red card anyway, and he was asked to look after one of the brightest young talents in Europe, with 10 minutes to go and 10 men on the field. 

as proven recently, With a stretch of games, Toby is a fine footballer, He’s pretty solid on the ball, yes he had the odd mistake in him, his passing range is phenomenal, And when he does a mazy run forward it’s a great asset. All the skills souttar had, Although souttar had 4 years to hone them in the same position without being dropped. 

besides, he’s still only 23… That’s very young for a CB…

RudolfTheKing51
On 05/09/2022 at 17:42, Sooks said:

A fair response 

Don’t think you’ll find a single player in the world who wouldn’t be shitting theirself getting out on for 5 minutes with a 1-0 lead being asked to defend their box…

fair response my chufter. There’s 0 evidence what so ever that Toby Sibbick isn’t good enough for hearts. Other than the stupidity of folk who want 10 elvis’ at the back that win ever ball in the air. Modern footballs evolved and you need footballers in defence. Not just hatchet men who head the ball and blootered folk.

2 hours ago, RudolfTheKing51 said:

Don’t think you’ll find a single player in the world who wouldn’t be shitting theirself getting out on for 5 minutes with a 1-0 lead being asked to defend their box…

fair response my chufter. There’s 0 evidence what so ever that Toby Sibbick isn’t good enough for hearts. Other than the stupidity of folk who want 10 elvis’ at the back that win ever ball in the air. Modern footballs evolved and you need footballers in defence. Not just hatchet men who head the ball and blootered folk.

Was the post I responded to and the response itself not from away back in September ? My response of fair response was to someone saying that in their opinion Sibbick made them feel nervous . I rated the guy even back then , but I was respecting the other posters opinion being different to my own 

RustyRightPeg
On 07/11/2022 at 12:41, Chimp said:

You are honestly trying to tell me that Toby Sibbick is very good on the ball and has a fantastic range of passing??

Yes. 

Dick Dastardly

He still has the odd error in his game, normally a slack pass or two but what a complete transformation from earlier in the season. Well done Toby, keep it up. 

One great ball and you’ve rifled through the posts to try prove a point 😂 love when people do that. Like when a striker scores a goal after yonks without one and does the ear cupping to the crowd - that sorta thing. Bit sad really

What I said was true at the time. Sibbick has improved a lot since November, and I’m glad because I said numerous times I want him to come good. He still needs to do better in the air and also still plays some terrible passes. Hopefully he keeps kicking on and over time cuts out his wee brain fart moments.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, Chimp said:

One great ball and you’ve rifled through the posts to try prove a point 😂 love when people do that. Like when a striker scores a goal after yonks without one and does the ear cupping to the crowd - that sorta thing. Bit sad really

What I said was true at the time. Sibbick has improved a lot since November, and I’m glad because I said numerous times I want him to come good. He still needs to do better in the air and also still plays some terrible passes. Hopefully he keeps kicking on and over time cuts out his wee brain fart moments.

Don’t be upset mate we’re all wrong sometimes

12 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

He still has the odd error in his game, normally a slack pass or two but what a complete transformation from earlier in the season. Well done Toby, keep it up. 

I think that’s understandable. He’s still learning a new position when alls said and done. Upped his game massively and it’s great the fans have a song for him, must really give him a boost. 

16 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Don’t be upset mate we’re all wrong sometimes

Why would I be upset? happy he’s improving 👍🏼 

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Why would I be upset? happy he’s improving 👍🏼 

I bookmark things I’m confident will come to fruition. There’s a lot of Sibbick content. You’re just the unlucky party this time that went against my thought that time 🤷🏽‍♂️

no malice, only a laugh

Dick Dastardly
39 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think that’s understandable. He’s still learning a new position when alls said and done. Upped his game massively and it’s great the fans have a song for him, must really give him a boost. 

A lot better than getting boo'd anyway 😂😂

12 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I bookmark things I’m confident will come to fruition. There’s a lot of Sibbick content. You’re just the unlucky party this time that went against my thought that time 🤷🏽‍♂️

no malice, only a laugh

Don’t worry mate I don’t feel unlucky 😂 said what was true at the time. things can, and do change all the time in football

14 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Don’t worry mate I don’t feel unlucky 😂 said what was true at the time. things can, and do change all the time in football

Absolutely and let’s be clear he was dropped because he was all over the place. Playing really well though so we should all be happy. 

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Absolutely and let’s be clear he was dropped because he was all over the place. Playing really well though so we should all be happy. 

That’s exactly my point. 

28 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

😂 aye can’t be the best when you’re struggling. There was an old guy behind me, while not booing him, decided that everything that went wrong was down to Sibbick and I mean everything. Even stuff he wasn’t involved in he was like - where is Sibbick?  He’s standing there doing nothing.  It was incredible man, done my nut in. 

A_A wehatethehibs
15 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I remember a few boys laughing in the boozer when I was saying not to give up on him and he was still young enough to turn it around.

The other aspect is all these KB clowns who’ve been saying “he’s a midfielder” based on 1 game 4 years ago.

The lad has all the attributes for a top CB just needed time and coaching from our manager who has an excellent record for helping inconsistent players find their consistency and develop their game. And the whole backroom team tbh. Players might drop out the team but it’s clear they are looked after very well by the backroom staff, because theres a pattern that guys who’ve wobbled always seem to come back in much improved and stronger. 

I don't think he even attempts that pass when he was going through his difficult period. He is playing and looks like a different player. He looked almost slouched and unsure of himself during that period, now he has chest puffed out, strong and his distribution is getting better and better. I do wonder whether he thought Scottish football might have been easier than he thought having done so well in the game and a half he had last time, but whatever he has done/worked on, and what the coaching staff have done has worked wonders. A very important player now and at 23 he is a great asset to have. Will only get better and better. 

16 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Proud member of that club also.

:verysmug:

Based on this quote from an interview with Kingsley after the game on Wednesday night. I would assume he will be availabel for selection on Sunday.

“Toby has new boots and, apparently, he cramps up a bit when he wears new boots, which is the worst excuse I’ve ever heard. But it doesn't bother me because I got on. I’m hoping I will be involved again on Sunday, as everyone is.”

8 hours ago, RudolfTheKing51 said:

People seem to forget very quickly, that souttar cost us a goal every game he played up until the last 2 seasons. Souttar was just as rough, Constabtly made mistakes, Had no Ariel prowes, and was pretty stinking defensivly, but with time and the right people beside him (Berra,Hughes) he became a solid CB we were sad to see go. 

I think if your going to target toby as being not good enough, your not looking at the right things, He’s been punted pillar to post, without a consistent run of games until now, He’s been shipped into a settled back four for the odd game here and there or launched on the last 10 minutes to hold a lead. The European game was a prime example, Brought on to firm us up after an Injury, Zurich brought on the wee lad that’s now ripping it up at Leeds, Boy scores after beating toby with great skill and suddenly we had folk all around the stadium screaming for him to **** off and never play again. We were under the cosh after the red card anyway, and he was asked to look after one of the brightest young talents in Europe, with 10 minutes to go and 10 men on the field. 

as proven recently, With a stretch of games, Toby is a fine footballer, He’s pretty solid on the ball, yes he had the odd mistake in him, his passing range is phenomenal, And when he does a mazy run forward it’s a great asset. All the skills souttar had, Although souttar had 4 years to hone them in the same position without being dropped. 

besides, he’s still only 23… That’s very young for a CB…

I've already put my hands up to say he's proven me entirely wrong but I stand by my assessment of how he played for his early on. He was as good as giving a goal away each game. 

My opinion has changed in the intervening 4 months though and I was stupid to doubt Robbie. 

10 hours ago, RudolfTheKing51 said:

He just got on with it. Never took the criticism Persil-nally.

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )
4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Speaking of things that have gotten better in our support, I suppose it's partially the influence of the fantastic Gorgie Ultras, but the number of punters who seem to need to get on the back of our own players if they're having a bad spell seems to have gone down.

As for retrospectives, I'll put my hand up and say yes, I did doubt him, but I also thought it was far too early to write him off as was getting done a lot. Some folk seem to take pride in having one look at a player and deciding instantly whether they're quality or shite. I wish we'd accept that sometimes players are having a bad stretch for reasons we know nothing about, and may get it sorted if given time.

We should be looking to get him extended. If he cuts out the small errors and the fact he will have an English premium we could be looking at north of 5 million for him in the future.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Speaking of things that have gotten better in our support, I suppose it's partially the influence of the fantastic Gorgie Ultras, but the number of punters who seem to need to get on the back of our own players if they're having a bad spell seems to have gone down.

As for retrospectives, I'll put my hand up and say yes, I did doubt him, but I also thought it was far too early to write him off as was getting done a lot. Some folk seem to take pride in having one look at a player and deciding instantly whether they're quality or shite. I wish we'd accept that sometimes players are having a bad stretch for reasons we know nothing about, and may get it sorted if given time.

Wise words. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

He just got on with it. Never took the criticism Persil-nally.

Bold statement.

3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Good post

the reasons for his bad spell were fairly understandable.

Arrived from Barnsley out of favour and hardly having played for a number of months. Thrown into a team ravaged by injury, in and out the team, and asked to play in several different positions, pretty obvious he would be lacking in confidence and prone to errors, he is still a young guy after all.

Taken out of the firing line,and comes back into a settled team playing pretty well, and hey presto there is a player in there after all. I think his passing has improved markedly, and his last ditch tackling is right up there.

Still a bit to learn on positioning, but I think we have a decent player in there.

Long may his upward progress continue.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, gorgieroar said:

He's playing with the conference now that he showed in his very first game for us when he was outstanding 

He's peared up well with Rowles.

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Your flying like concorde with these comments tonight

I personally think the boy is total class . Always supported him even when he was struggling a wee bit , but I am surprised at how good a central defender he has become . I thought he needed to play as a midfielder to get the best out of him but look at the transformation in him now ………….. the guys that started singing a song for him when he was struggling have may be played a part in building his confidence ? Just goes to show you that slating players when confidence is low does nothing to spur them on to improve . He is a bit of a colossus now 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Bold statement.

6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He's certainly stood up to the challenge.

2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Good post

the reasons for his bad spell were fairly understandable.

Arrived from Barnsley out of favour and hardly having played for a number of months. Thrown into a team ravaged by injury, in and out the team, and asked to play in several different positions, pretty obvious he would be lacking in confidence and prone to errors, he is still a young guy after all.

Taken out of the firing line,and comes back into a settled team playing pretty well, and hey presto there is a player in there after all. I think his passing has improved markedly, and his last ditch tackling is right up there.

Still a bit to learn on positioning, but I think we have a decent player in there.

Long may his upward progress continue.

Correct. Needed a run of games in a settled side. Can actually see him now in the Souttar role. So much more confident and positive in his play. Has a mistake in him but that’s fine, would rather we played out from the back and he’s starting to do that.

Will hold my hands up, didn’t see him as a CH but he has absolutely stepped up.

I have a lot of Barnsley supporting friends. When I heard he was coming I asked their opinion.

Basically what they said is a carbon copy of his first months here. Prone to brain farts but brilliant when his heads straight.

Knowing their opinion I’ve kept my powder dry so to speak and now it’s pretty clear that with our coaching he is developing into a very capable and valuable player.

He’s a unit and extremely athletic. Will only improve now he’s over that bump in the crossroads. Very popular with the rest of the guys.

Fancy him to score Sunday.

Scenes.

19 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

I have a lot of Barnsley supporting friends. When I heard he was coming I asked their opinion.

Basically what they said is a carbon copy of his first months here. Prone to brain farts but brilliant when his heads straight.

Knowing their opinion I’ve kept my powder dry so to speak and now it’s pretty clear that with our coaching he is developing into a very capable and valuable player.

He’s a unit and extremely athletic. Will only improve now he’s over that bump in the crossroads. Very popular with the rest of the guys.

Scenes.

How many times do you need to be told? Robbie and his team never successfully coach anyone! 😄

23 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Scenes.

Joyful scenes at that

On 23/07/2022 at 23:31, martoon said:

I agree with the op.

I said on another thread that Sibbick will benefit from the necessary rotation this season. He'll, hopefully, start games in his best/favoured position and will be a huge asset for us if/when he does.

There's a thinker!

19 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

There's a thinker!

Does it still count if I have no recollection of the post? 😄

12 hours ago, martoon said:

Does it still count if I have no recollection of the post? 😄

Can't remember my post, think