Toby Sibbick ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

Absolute Scenes
4 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

Sibbick.

He reminds me of a certain Lithuanian captain. Absolutely slaughtered at first but became a legend.

Here's hoping Sibs follows that trajectory.

Was thinking just the same

he is a different player 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

I’m just glad he’s getting the deserved praise, the criticism he received was always way over the top and unnecessary (not that he didn’t have bad performances, they just never warranted being written off and insulted by some elements of the support). He is still only 23 too, just imagine how much he could improve.

Was Neilson asked about his injury after the match? Hope it was just a precaution to bring him off because he’s fast becoming a very important player in this team! 

20 minutes ago, Thomson1874 said:

Was Neilson asked about his injury after the match? Hope it was just a precaution to bring him off because he’s fast becoming a very important player in this team! 

Just cramp I believe.

1 minute ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Just cramp I believe.

Great, was worried it might have been something worse! Fingers crossed he’s back in on Sunday and fully fit. 

On 04/01/2023 at 00:59, tazhearts said:

Big Toby has physical attributes to become a great central defender.  He is fast, tall and well built.

However there are still a lot of areas he needs to work on:

1. Heading. For someone his height he needs to learn to be more dominant on the ball.

2. Aggressiveness. 

3. Passing. He needs to perfect the John Soutar esque 50 yard cross field ping to Barry McKay's feet.

He was listening re 3 for sure. Sensational pass. 🤤

RustyRightPeg
28 minutes ago, Thomson1874 said:

He went down stretching his calf, then from the resulting corner he came flying out full sprint and looked as if he was gonna be the solo man on a counter attack. Went down again and walked off so should be fine, just cramp. 

Markymark1874

The pass to Smith was different class -what a journey this boy has been on with us. Superb example to younger professionals about how to knuckle down and keep working hard in the face of adversity.

Hope he hangs around for a while yet but this lad could make us some serious dough.

millerjames398

From lookin like a 3 yr old try and kick a balloon, to strolling around puffing cigars at the back, some turnaround from him, he's looked different class tha last month or so🇱🇻

7 minutes ago, Markymark1874 said:

The pass to Smith was different class -what a journey this boy has been on with us. Superb example to younger professionals about how to knuckle down and keep working hard in the face of adversity.

Hope he hangs around for a while yet but this lad could make us some serious dough.

It's also an example about how supporters should stick with players. I'm sure it was the Riga home game where he had the whole ground singing his name. You could almost see his confidence growing. 

i wish jj was my dad
18 minutes ago, Markymark1874 said:

Indeed.  It was painful watching him struggle and if Halkett/Rowles had been alongside him it would have taken the pressure off him but he got through it no doubt with excellent support from Robbie and the staff.  I noticed a significant improvement at Livi away and the Riga game was wonderful to watch Big, big respect to the laddie and the coaching staff for helping him work through it.

jamboinglasgow
12 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

It's also an example about how supporters should stick with players. I'm sure it was the Riga home game where he had the whole ground singing his name. You could almost see his confidence growing. 

It was very important, his growth since that game is incredible. Its amazing to see a player who has been so low and written off, take their chance and shine.

Would say that, having that ability to ping a ball like that (Hill showed it against St Mirren) can be very valuable. If Michael Smith can make a run knowing the ball will be there when he is not the fastest, imagine what our really fast players (Ginnelly, Oda or Kuol) can do with it.

5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

It was very important, his growth since that game is incredible. Its amazing to see a player who has been so low and written off, take their chance and shine.

Would say that, having that ability to ping a ball like that (Hill showed it against St Mirren) can be very valuable. If Michael Smith can make a run knowing the ball will be there when he is not the fastest, imagine what our really fast players (Ginnelly, Oda or Kuol) can do with it.

I actually got a wee bit emotional at the Riga game when every supporter was singing his name (I'm a soft shite 😂😂

It's not just ability to ping the ball, it's to do it at the right time when the opposition are pushing up the park, apart from their left back 😂😂

Arthur Morgan
3 hours ago, Thomson1874 said:

Isn't it amazing that we are now worried if he's going to make the next match or not? Some turnaround.

The difference between the start of the season and now is ridiculous, just a completely different player.

He still gives away the occasion stupid pass, but not he recovers and doesn't let it bother him. Before he'd crumble.

Well bloody done Toby.

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, BudgeUp said:

Sibbick.

He reminds me of a certain Lithuanian captain. Absolutely slaughtered at first but became a legend.

Here's hoping Sibs follows that trajectory.

Was he slaughtered or just not playing great at the time and rightly dropped.?

I 100% wanted him dropped and to find his feet or get loaned out as he was low in confidence and making lots of mistakes. 

Bob did drop him and he's came back and kicked on.

Brilliant stuff and playing very well.

Having Rowles in the team has helped him massively as well.

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Indeed.  It was painful watching him struggle and if Halkett/Rowles had been alongside him it would have taken the pressure off him but he got through it no doubt with excellent support from Robbie and the staff.  I noticed a significant improvement at Livi away and the Riga game was wonderful to watch Big, big respect to the laddie and the coaching staff for helping him work through it.

Here here.

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Was he slaughtered or just not playing great at the time and rightly dropped.?

I 100% wanted him dropped and to find his feet or get loaned out as he was low in confidence and making lots of mistakes. 

Bob did drop him and he's came back and kicked on.

Brilliant stuff and playing very well.

Having Rowles in the team has helped him massively as well.

It’s outstanding man management in all honesty, Neilson probably doesn’t get enough credit for it. Both sides have spoken about the need to be taken out the team, work hard, regain confidence and here we are. 

Sibbick has earned his place back - and doesn’t look like anyone’s taking it from him anytime soon. 

Different class from Toby.  He has all the attributes, and seems to have a great attitude and growing in confidence.  Taking nothing away from him, a lot of credit has to go to Bob and co for helping him along. 

On 23/10/2022 at 13:02, Martin_T said:

I do wonder what games people are watching when you see utter drivel like the above.

He's one of the fastest players at the club for starters. His distribution is probably his biggest strength and he has a great range of passing and his touch is also fine.

He's strong, quick, wins the ball cleanly and can carry the ball out of defence. 

Awareness/ concentration seems to be the main issue at the moment, but these can be addressed with confidence and coaching.

:verysmug:

8 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

The fans getting behind him and chanting his name coincided with his confidence growing. 

Can pinpoint the exact moment.

Was when that RFS striker was through on goal and Sibbick recovered. He's been great ever since 

i wish jj was my dad
57 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

It’s outstanding man management in all honesty, Neilson probably doesn’t get enough credit for it. Both sides have spoken about the need to be taken out the team, work hard, regain confidence and here we are. 

Sibbick has earned his place back - and doesn’t look like anyone’s taking it from him anytime soon. 

Yep. Credit to all. Most of all Toby who must have been going through Hell. Also another good example of how Robbie develops and improves young players.

2 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

B) 

You missed my contribution out poor show lol.

Sibbick just needed time and a run of games. Patience was required but a few on here and in the stands simply don't have that. 

With time and experience Sibbick will improve on the awareness/ concentration side of the game. What was alarming was he seemed to forget how to defend for a while but it was obviously all down to confidence given how much he has improved. 

Someone compared his recent improvement with Zals and I could agree more. 

Well done Toby. 

section s heart

He's come on a ton, so happy for the boy. 

We're starting to see his pace more, and he's getting more aggression into his game, two things that can really push his game on. 

The lad has absolutely grown in stature, and hopefully his early season blip has been a useful learning experience. Looks to be enjoying his football way more, his confidence is back and hopefully he continues his fine form injury free. He is looking every bit "as strong as the old castle rock". 

RudolfTheKing51
14 hours ago, Gizmo said:

He was listening re 3 for sure. Sensational pass. 🤤

It’s funny, everyone remembers these souttar diagonals, He tried them 10 times a game and pulled 1 off, For me, Toby and Souttar had the same start, both very young and ropey, with time and confidence souttar became a great player for us, and sibbick will be the same, I just hope he doesn’t get dragged out the team for a half fit Halkett when he’s back, or a half fit kingsley forced into a Central role. 

Toby in the middle of a back 3 or right of a back 2 is where he’s best. Struggles at the rcb role as when he goes to play out he’s always looking right, so at RCB he’s touching the touch line which he struggles with (rewatch the hibs semi final, it comes from him being confused because he’s so close to the touch line) 

16 hours ago, Tynecastle Valhalla said:

It’s his place to lose now - been brilliant recently !

Best compliment you can pay him 👍 He came into the side through necessity and after a couple of nervy performances has really grown into the team. If I was being harsh I wish he was more aggressive going for a ball in the air ( like Halket) but don’t think you can really teach that,  but that apart he’s been magnificent. 

Hands up I didn't think he was good enough. Although I was never going to be a tadger that booed the poor lad. 

I'm delighted to see that he's proving me entirely wrong and he looks like he may only get better. Fantastic stuff to see! 

I was was fairly critical of his performances earlier in the season but it's great to see how he has improved.

The European game where the crowd were signing his name may have been the turning point.  I think everyone there that night was chuffed for him.

He clearly has ability (as proved by that pass last night) and athleticism - if he maintains his concentration and cuts out the unforced errors, we've got a top player on our hands.

His ability to cover ground from a standing start and to time a challenge is reminiscent of Souttar at the top of his game.

4 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

Do we know if he was injured yesterday or did he come off as a precaution?

Hopefully a precaution ala Cochrane. 

Completely different player from a few months ago

One big difference when in a tight spot he just boots it out the park

He actually looks very happy kicking it out

Message received and lesson learned

Defo turning into a first pick and delighted with his progress and improvement. Another impressive game last night the 2nd half block and earlier pass to Smith top drawer. He does need to respond better to ball over the top but great response from him. Do hope he makes it for Sunday. 

19 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m just glad he’s getting the deserved praise, the criticism he received was always way over the top and unnecessary (not that he didn’t have bad performances, they just never warranted being written off and insulted by some elements of the support). He is still only 23 too, just imagine how much he could improve.

Well said 👍

Nucky Thompson

I was one of the very few who never doubted him.

I remember a few boys laughing in the boozer when I was saying not to give up on him and he was still young enough to turn it around.

Glad to have been proven right :pleasing:

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )