Toby Sibbick ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

14 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

His passing was horrendous at the start of the season and he was rightly dropped.

In 4 games, his pass completion % was 40, 55, 70, 56.

Since coming back into the team, it's been 80, 71 (v Celtic), 83, 88.

Thats the progression a lot of people are seeing when they watch games. And more than that it's been effective passing.

Keep going round in circles here. It's more than just his passing mate. His positional sense, ball watching, losing his man. All of these things he is still getting caught out at. All these passing stats getting thrown about, give it a rest

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

2 hours ago, Chimp said:

Keep going round in circles here. It's more than just his passing mate. His positional sense, ball watching, losing his man. All of these things he is still getting caught out at. All these passing stats getting thrown about, give it a rest

I only mentioned it as you specifically called out his passing and there is proof that it's improving outside of simply opinion.

Positional awareness I agree needs improvement more dramatically. Hopefully it does, but I also concede it may never be good enough.

3 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Thought he had a great game tonight. Love the new Sibbick.

Glad he appears to have found some form, thankfully the player in him has emerged.

1 minute ago, hearts00 said:

Yes well done Toby. Was very good tonight. 

maybe just maybe he has a future with us. 

If he keeps up his recent performances Halkett ain't getting back in. 

Naisys Tackle
Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Growing with each game, which is kinda the point of playing a consistent run of games in one position…

Wonder what happens when Halks is fit?  I certainly wouldn't drop him. 

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

I said Halkett and/or Rowles would now need to displace him due to his form and the trajectory he is on and I was laughed at. 

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Try him at RB. Smith's not going to last another season. Looks more of a defender than Atkinson. His height, strength & pace might be well suited in a RB role. 

2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

It’s a good problem to have. Chances are there will be another injury to someone though, so doubt whoever would have to be on the bench long. If Atkinson not fit I’d like to see Sibbick instead of Smith at RB, but I’d much prefer Sibbick continues in CB if possible. He has some amazing attributes and great potential, only way it will be filled is with consistent play at CB.

1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I said Halkett and/or Rowles would now need to displace him due to his form and the trajectory he is on and I was laughed at. 

You don’t think Halkett and Rowles will be the centre back pairing when they are both fully fit ?

And your wondering why folk are laughing at you ?

Assuming Halkett and Rowles emerge fully fit after the WC, will we see Lewis Neilson go out on loan. He'll probably warm the bench for the rest of the season and no point playing him in the B team where he wont learn a lot.

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Yeah remember the replies.  I said similar and people were more polite mind you. 

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Try him at RB. Smith's not going to last another season. Looks more of a defender than Atkinson. His height, strength & pace might be well suited in a RB role. 

Keep him in place.  The role his to lose.  Why hinder his development and confidence?

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You don’t think Halkett and Rowles will be the centre back pairing when they are both fully fit ?

Not when theres nothing wrong with the current pairing, no. 

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It’s a good problem to have. Chances are there will be another injury to someone though, so doubt whoever would have to be on the bench long. If Atkinson not fit I’d like to see Sibbick instead of Smith at RB, but I’d much prefer Sibbick continues in CB if possible. He has some amazing attributes and great potential, only way it will be filled is with consistent play at CB.

All true. 

Yeah remember the replies.  I said similar and people were more polite mind you. 

If you think Sibbick is keeping Halkett out the team, you're dreaming. Maybe put Sibbick to RCB or RB, but Halkett and Kingsley will join Rowles in the defence without any hesitation. 

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If you think Sibbick is keeping Halkett out the team, you're dreaming. Maybe put Sibbick to RCB or RB, but Halkett and Kingsley will join Rowles in the defence without any hesitation. 

I think that would be highly unfair tbh. 

Defensively he did well tonight, but felt his distribution wasn't what he's shown it can be.

He has played a lot as a right back for Barnsley, so perhaps with Smith getting older, he might be a good alternative to Atkinson when Halkett and Kingsley return?

Arthur Morgan
51 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

I agree, Smith is done for me. 

Regarding Sibbick tonight though? Excellent. His best performance in a while considering the opposition. I still think Halkett will be the preferred choice though, so Sibbick at RB makes sense imo. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

RustyRightPeg
9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

You, again? 

dunciboyjambo
10 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Thought he had a great game tonight. Love the new Sibbick.

Big Toby Van Dijk.. He’s improved massively and think he will be a key player for us in a season or 2, still only 23…

10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

On Sibbicks current form what's he done do deserve losing his place?

He's turning out solid performances and imo Halkett wouldn't be a improvement. Halkett will need to wait for sibbick to have a dip in form before he gets back in the team, Unless we go for Sibbick Halkett Rowles as a back 3 with Atkinson and Cochrane as wing backs.

alicante jambo

Played good the past 3 or 4 domestic games. Delighted for him. Be wrong to drop him while he is playing this good and still only a young lad. Will only get better.

RustyRightPeg
53 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Prettiest mental how we’re about to go from a threadbare defence to a selection headache at defence

😂😂 good problems 

1 hour ago, Captain Lithuania said:

Always backed him and I’m delighted he is showing he’s the player I’ve always known he is. Good again last night. 

Every defence needs a CD who can head the ball and dominate the box and we lost two of those with Halkett and Rowles, that's not Siibbick's strong point but he's terrific with the ball on the ground. 

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Prettiest mental how we’re about to go from a threadbare defence to a selection headache at defence

It's literally as if once Kingsley dropped out injured Toby said "hold my beer" because he has stepped up big time just when we needed it.

2 minutes ago, RS86 said:

It's literally as if once Kingsley dropped out injured Toby said "hold my beer" because he has stepped up big time just when we needed it.

I really like the way he has improved in the last few games, but let’s face it, we lost a lot of preventable goals whilst he was in the team, some of which we probably don’t lose if Halkett is there.

His improvement means we probably don’t need to sign another centre half in January as he is now an excellent option, but he’s not taking Halketts Place just yet.

Quite possible he could play elsewhere if course but from the break to the split it’s best central defence possible on the park for me, and that means Halkett and Rowles

The Old Tolbooth

I totally agree that Michael Smith is finished, it's a shame as he's been a cracking servant and player for the club, a proper professional and a thoroughly decent guy. Sibbick could easily step into that role based on his latest form once Halkett comes back in (if he ever recovers!). 

A great problem to have for once as we've been without a defence for what seems like forever! 

8 minutes ago, RS86 said:

The lad has done fantastic the last few games (making me eat my words into the bargain!)... always knew there was definitely a player in there though - just didn't see him as a CB. He may not be as 'combative' as a Halkett or Rowles, but he has plenty of pace and never dives in. Really chuffed for the lad. Think he would make a decent RB also, but I wouldn't leave him out at CB at the minute. 

RustyRightPeg
10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Aye your right mate. Becoming a bit of a habit. Point taken

Pop me in ignore James. It might benefit you. 

13 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

The lad has done fantastic the last few games (making me eat my words into the bargain!)... always knew there was definitely a player in there though - just didn't see him as a CB. He may not be as 'combative' as a Halkett or Rowles, but he has plenty of pace and never dives in. Really chuffed for the lad. Think he would make a decent RB also, but I wouldn't leave him out at CB at the minute. 

Don't know about the combative bit.  Moult was about to be combatted on Sunday after pushing Cochrane by young Mr Sibbick.  Loved that look he gave Moult and the total rock impersonation as well.

Based on what little we have seen he reminds me of Zal in a way. If the game requires 90 mins focus like last night, against celtic or even the secod half against RFS then he is just immense - i think the issues may be where he has too much time to think and tries to overplay it.

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )