Scottish rugby

Malinga the Swinga

Just now, Morgan said:

Yes, maybe so.

I’m in Edinburgh right now though, and he’s really, really disliked in the pubs (and my hotel) that I’ve been in tonight.

I'm sure he is.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Dawnrazor

• Malinga the Swinga

• Tazio

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nah, he's just an unlikeable piece of shit. 

Well, if you put it that way...

👍

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, manaliveits105 said:

At least the Irish fans are singing the anti terrorism song again - bless 

They fool no-one 

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes, maybe so.

I’m in Edinburgh right now though, and he’s really, really disliked in the pubs (and my hotel) that I’ve been in tonight.

In a team full of *****, O'Mahony stands atop the pile. A ***** of ***** if you like. Other than the media whores and the Irish, I don't know anyone who would piss on him if he was on fire.

8 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

At least the Irish fans are singing the anti terrorism song again - bless 

Hopefully, nobody falls for it.

8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’ll have to be France or South Africa I fear. NZ won’t beat them 

Look at it objectively, and without a Scottish bias.  NZ will look at how we fell asleep at times tonight, and how much less intense than we were against SA, and they will fancy their chances.

Fozzyonthefence

Men against boys unfortunately and Scotland didn’t turn up.  Ireland were superb though, hope them or France go on to win it. 

Just now, Ulysses said:

Look at it objectively, and without a Scottish bias.  NZ will look at how we fell asleep at times tonight, and how much less intense than we were against SA, and they will fancy their chances.

But did they get sleepy and were less intense because the game was essentially over half way through the first half?

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Men against boys unfortunately and Scotland didn’t turn up.  Ireland were superb though, hope them or France go on to win it. 

It’s a Priest thing.  👍

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

But did they get sleepy and were less intense because the game was essentially over half way through the first half?

Game was over and Scotland's late surge means nothing. There is nothing for anyone to learn from that because it showed nothing.

Irish trying to downplay their chances because they know they're favourites to win it and they're frightened that should they fail, they'll have nobody to blame bar themselves. They have officials on their side to assist them. They have no excuses. The one thing against them is they're the great chokers of world rugby and hopefully they'll choke again.

13 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Could be the case, and in fairness we took our captain off 5 minutes into the second half and were playing with a raft of subs before the water break.

But if you want to win a tournament like this, you have to bring your A game throughout, and Ireland didn't.

2 minutes ago, benny said:

Came third in our group.The best we could have hoped for but tonight we never competed.

Huge gulf in class.

But it shows the stupidity of the draw.  Scotland don't go through, but one of Argentina or Japan do.  WTF? 

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

But it shows the stupidity of the draw.  Scotland don't go through, but one of Argentina or Japan do.  WTF? 

May well be stupid but Scotland have been beaten by both before.

Did Japan not knock out Scotland in the last world cup.

2 minutes ago, benny said:

May well be stupid but Scotland have been beaten by both before.

Did Japan not knock out Scotland in the last world cup.

As have Ireland, but there's no way Scotland, Ireland and SA should have been in the same pool.

Just now, Ulysses said:

As have Ireland, but there's no way Scotland, Ireland and SA should have been in the same pool.

Was that not down to Scotlands poor performance in the last world cup.

1 minute ago, benny said:

Was that not down to Scotlands poor performance in the last world cup.

I also think Ireland were under-rated.  The draw was way too early.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

The better team won.  I don't really care who wins the Rwc, even England aren't total a-holes anymore (except Farrell)

And Smith. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I also think Ireland were under-rated.  The draw was way too early.

Rugby Union is pretty tinpot tbf

Toxteth O'Grady

I haven’t watched rugby for years and started to watch the game last night.

if that is modern rugby then I won’t be watching any more.

Far too many stoppages and big periods of nothing happening.

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Drawing your major international competition 3 years before the event is about as tin pot as it gets. 

It's all about World Rugby getting the big teams into the last 4 by greasing the wheels, not that they really need to.

An open competition it ain't. 

Lord Montpelier

Watched a bit of the rugby over the last few weeks, but not really that impressed. 

Is there a limit on the number of players a country can have in their squad who quality through the 3 year rule they seem to have by playing club rugby in that country ? (A bit like the 3 foreigners rule we used to have in club football I think)

Seems like an easy way for rugby federations to improve their national teams if they have a bit of cash about them. 

periodictabledancer

Apart from Fiji, who actually run the ball, and Samoa (who between them have only played 26 games since the last world cup) it's been underwhelming. The domination of set pieces and box kicking makes it a borefest. Actual game time is approaching ludicrously low levels. 

There's a hell of a lot of time lost in the setting up of the set pieces.  Scrums and line-outs.  Either have the clock off until a specific time just before the set piece restarts the play or extend the 80 mins to 90.

periodictabledancer

Anther thing that has come to pass after being widely predicted - boring rugby caused by too many substitutes.

For all the talk of  fatigue , it's only really evident when the poorer nations play against Tier 1 countries (did I hear IRB had paid for fitness coaches for the Tier 2 countries to get them up to scratch ?).

Limit the number of subs - 23 players for a 15 man game ? - and lets have some rugby, at least, in the latter stages of games. 

John Findlay

I just find it galling that the most boring team in the competition, England, are still in the competition.

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Watched a bit of the rugby over the last few weeks, but not really that impressed. 

Is there a limit on the number of players a country can have in their squad who quality through the 3 year rule they seem to have by playing club rugby in that country ? (A bit like the 3 foreigners rule we used to have in club football I think)

Seems like an easy way for rugby federations to improve their national teams if they have a bit of cash about them. 

There is something seriously wrong at grass root level in countries, I'm including Scotland in that, when teams need to fill their squads with overseas players. Many of these players are not quite good enough for their home country teams but are slightly better than players from the country they now represent. However, you can't help thinking their wages would be better spent on developing home grown players. I am not against the parent/ grandparents rules as many a great player has proudly pulled on the dark blue jersey over the years. It's this playing here for a year or two and then being eligible that I am not comfortable with.

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

I think the overseas eligibility rule has been lengthened to 5 years, which is slightly better, but it's still not a great way to be eligible to play for a country. Scotland have benefitted well from it over the years, and although some then go on to call Scotland home, I'd imagine a fair amount head straight back "home" once their Scotland days are over.

I P Knightley

Argies and Japanese playing out a cracking match at the moment. Not the absolute highest quality of defence you'll ever see and a few mistakes from both sides but it makes for a hugely entertaining game.

Edited by I P Knightley
Didn't realise that the abbreviation used when describing the urethra would fall foul of the censors.

5 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It is indeed, at least at international level.  That's one of the reasons why I'm pleased when Ireland win, but not all that worried when we lose. I tend to get a bit more bothered when it's Leinster.

I read an opinion this morning that the main lesson to be drawn from last night is that there's a very big gap between the top 4 and the rest right now.  But the real problem is that there are only a handful of countries who play the game at a high enough level.

5 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Drawing your major international competition 3 years before the event is about as tin pot as it gets. 

It's all about World Rugby getting the big teams into the last 4 by greasing the wheels, not that they really need to.

An open competition it ain't. 

In fairness, all seeded draws are designed to get the top seeds into the semis and finals.  But they screwed that up this time by drawing so early.  One of France or SA will go out in the last 8, as will one of Ireland or New Zealand.  Scotland were penalised by the draw - and if things had gone differently last night it would have been Ireland.

If that happened in a football World Cup, we'd be delighted because it would open up the tournament a bit.  In rugby, we get bored 'cos all it does is make life a bit easier for England and Wales. :laugh:

I P Knightley
18 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

It is indeed, at least at international level.  That's one of the reasons why I'm pleased when Ireland win, but not all that worried when we lose. I tend to get a bit more bothered when it's Leinster.

I read an opinion this morning that the main lesson to be drawn from last night is that there's a very big gap between the top 4 and the rest right now.  But the real problem is that there are only a handful of countries who play the game at a high enough level.

Ireland set out with a strategy years ago. They stuck to it and there's now a very real chance that it will win them the RWC. It's not all that long ago that they could barely muster up more than a couple of props for the 5/6 nations; they brought in a couple of Saffers to plug the gap but behind the scene, strengthed the provincial system and they now have world-class, homegrown players in most positions.

It's helped by the fact that the four provinces have such an identity and a rich history of competition between them. The clubs in England, with a few exceptions, don't, so there's not as strong a common purpose. Wales had an opportunity to copy Ireland but the WRU are so far up their own backsides and living in the 1970s, they wouldn't do so. There's no new financial blood coming into the game so it's going to remain tinpot for some time.

The Mighty Thor
35 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

In rugby, we get bored 'cos all it does is make life a bit easier for England and Wales. :laugh:

Thats the galling part. They're both absolutely shite. 

Scotland are not as good as we think they are that's for damn sure. Townsend is limited as a coach and that got exposed last night in brutal style 

I hope the games improve but I doubt it as the officiating is abysmal 

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Thats the galling part. They're both absolutely shite. 

Scotland are not as good as we think they are that's for damn sure. Townsend is limited as a coach and that got exposed last night in brutal style 

I hope the games improve but I doubt it as the officiating is abysmal 

Although I, and many others, would prefer England, Wales or anyone rather than the Irish. Come on here and try to cosy up to other countries but they're a despised country, well 2 countries, in rugby with the most arrogant supporters around.

Don't care who beats them, anyone will do.

35 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That's probably fair comment. All I'm saying is that the early tournament draw left 5 of the best 5/6 in the world in two pools - and on a collision course with each other in the quarter-finals.

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

There is something seriously wrong at grass root level in countries, I'm including Scotland in that, when teams need to fill their squads with overseas players. Many of these players are not quite good enough for their home country teams but are slightly better than players from the country they now represent. However, you can't help thinking their wages would be better spent on developing home grown players. I am not against the parent/ grandparents rules as many a great player has proudly pulled on the dark blue jersey over the years. It's this playing here for a year or two and then being eligible that I am not comfortable with.

I differ slightly as it's not the qualification rule that cost Scotland, it's the total predictability of Townsend that's to blame.

Last world cup, he wanted controlled chaos and all we got was the chaos part.

This time, he faced South Africa and Ireland using the same tactics he employed the last time we faced them. Got gubbed soundly proving we had learnt nothing.

Everyone knew our tactics last night were to go out wide as quickly as possible. As soon as Ireland closed that down, legally or otherwise, we had no idea what to do.

All that time away practicing and all these warm up games and all we had was plan A.

No Mish in squad for this game was ridiculous, no Redpath to use in centres, instead relying on Russell to cover for inadequate others which was impossible as he was so tightly controlled and Price offers a service that's slower than a milk float.

Can't believe we are stuck with Townsend for seasons to come. He simply isn't good enough.

39 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I differ slightly as it's not the qualification rule that cost Scotland, it's the total predictability of Townsend that's to blame.

Last world cup, he wanted controlled chaos and all we got was the chaos part.

This time, he faced South Africa and Ireland using the same tactics he employed the last time we faced them. Got gubbed soundly proving we had learnt nothing.

Everyone knew our tactics last night were to go out wide as quickly as possible. As soon as Ireland closed that down, legally or otherwise, we had no idea what to do.

All that time away practicing and all these warm up games and all we had was plan A.

No Mish in squad for this game was ridiculous, no Redpath to use in centres, instead relying on Russell to cover for inadequate others which was impossible as he was so tightly controlled and Price offers a service that's slower than a milk float.

Can't believe we are stuck with Townsend for seasons to come. He simply isn't good enough.

TBH we're just not as good as Ireland or SA - particularly in the forwards.

We sell ourselves as an attacking team but only Jones consistenly runs inventive angles, everyone else is either looping round the back to try to get an overlap or simply runs straight. 

We haven't got any international class hookers - not one who can reliably throw the ball in at lineouts...

I'm not convinced Price is the best Scrum Half to give Russell the time and space to shine...

Unfortunately Darcy Graham is a bit wee compared to most international wingers and he gets bombarded with aerials making him a defensive liability. 

Too often our "mobile forwards" are posted missing and fail to be there at the tackle meaning we lose soft turnovers.

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Although I, and many others, would prefer England, Wales or anyone rather than the Irish. Come on here and try to cosy up to other countries but they're a despised country, well 2 countries, in rugby with the most arrogant supporters around.

Come on Malinga, Uly is not like that and Ireland are a great team as much as it pains me to say it. It's our fault we are where we are. I wish we could be arrogant now and again!

England rather than the Irish? :D Not in a month of Sundays. Would prefer the Irish over the English or Welsh any time. However, at this tournament, I want the French to win.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

England rather than the Irish? :D Not in a month of Sundays. Would prefer the Irish over the English or Welsh any time. However, at this tournament, I want the French to win.

Think you'll find loads of posters on here who think same as me.

They're the most arrogant smug bunch you could ever meet. The supporters of Leinster are unbearable when you have misfortune to meet them and it's always a good day when they get put out of Europe.

Luckily they bottle things and I'm hoping they continue to do so now.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They're the most arrogant smug bunch you could ever meet. The supporters of Leinster are unbearable when you have misfortune to meet them and it's always a good day when they get put out of Europe.

Now come on, Malinga. You may have ardent opinions on this subject, but that's no way to talk about your fellow posters.

Enjoying the Tonga Romania game but, bleeding ‘eck, every time this commentator is on (Nick Mullins?) he goes on and on about which English club each player has connections to,

I was listening to a URC game on the radio a year or two back when the commentator mentioned another match where Leinster had taken it the length of the field in umpteen phases.  Peter Wright was co-commentator and just muttered “every one an illegal maul probably!”

Malinga the Swinga
47 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

I was listening to a URC game on the radio a year or two back when the commentator mentioned another match where Leinster had taken it the length of the field in umpteen phases.  Peter Wright was co-commentator and just muttered “every one an illegal maul probably!”

Love Peter Wright as pundit. He's straight to the point and doesn't mice words when he speaks.

Very similar to Brian Moore. 

Both not afraid to highlight their own  teams short comings which is nice to see.

Nowadays you have the pundits desperately trying to be positive about their own club/country and definitely wont criticise the refs.

They did the 2003 celebration review before the first game today so hopefully that's it this year. Just everyone saying would be great to do it again. 

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

That's probably fair comment. All I'm saying is that the early tournament draw left 5 of the best 5/6 in the world in two pools - and on a collision course with each other in the quarter-finals.

No criticism from me. It's shown it up as tin pot. 

Me and my son are going to watch Sedbrgh v Backrock next week, should be a really good game and a chance to see some future international players.