• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Dawnrazor

• Malinga the Swinga

• Tazio

36 minutes ago, briever said:

Townsend has killed all our creativity - he rightly pointed to our poor defence when he started - but he's gone too far.

Conceding 14 penalties isn't good defence. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Conceding 14 penalties isn't good defence. 

Yes, there is a massive issue with discipline - was disappointed with Ritchie yesterday - I thought he should have been capt last season, but he started his first game as capt by giving away two really daft pens in the first 10mins.  Teams rarely win test matches when they give away 14pens.

19 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If we do fail to get out of group, then Townsend has to go immediately.

Does anyone honestly believe we will beat Ireland at a World Cup? 

4 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

It's a moot point anyway - his contract only runs until the end of the RWC.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

It’s possible but not very likely. This Scotland team aren’t good when the pressure’s on. Will be close, a few points in it, but Ireland will shade it 

43 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s possible but not very likely. This Scotland team aren’t good when the pressure’s on. Will be close, a few points in it, but Ireland will shade it 

Ireland just won a test series in NZ.  They are probably the best team in the world at the moment.

There will be no shading it, there will be 20pts between us.

Our hope is to beat SA - who are much more beatable than Ireland.

1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

What gives you that belief? 

It's the Scottish way. If we were favourites, I'd worry .

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

It's the Scottish way. If we were favourites, I'd worry .

When did we last win a game in a World Cup we weren't expected to win?

In fact in it's history have we ever won a World Cup match that we weren't favourites in? 

9 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

When did we last win a game in a World Cup we weren't expected to win?

In fact in it's history have we ever won a World Cup match that we weren't favourites in? 

Losing last play to France in 1995 and quarter final to wrong decision to Australia in 2015 is closest Scotland have got.

2 games in 7 tournaments. 

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Losing last play to France in 1995 and quarter final to wrong decision to Australia in 2015 is closest Scotland have got.

2 games in 7 tournaments. 

The Oz game was the one that immediately came to mind but in essence we've never won a World Cup game we've been underdogs in, in 7 tournaments. So going back to my original point, does anyone really believe, this setup, with this coach, who are unable to get out of their own way even when games should be in the bag, are likely to beat an Irish side who consistently beat the top teams. Seems a stretch. 

I P Knightley
17 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

The Oz game was the one that immediately came to mind but in essence we've never won a World Cup game we've been underdogs in, in 7 tournaments. So going back to my original point, does anyone really believe, this setup, with this coach, who are unable to get out of their own way even when games should be in the bag, are likely to beat an Irish side who consistently beat the top teams. Seems a stretch. 

I was optimistic when Townsend was appointed but more for my memories of him as a player than anything to do with his club coaching record (about which I was fairly uninformed).

He's now blotted his copybook as far as I'm concerned. Poor selection decisions and a team that seems constrained when it's on the pitch. There's very little chance that we'll qualify out of our WC group. Even with a competent coach, it was going to be a massive ask but Townsend has done the opposite of making his squad gel and we won't see anything decent as a result.

9 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I was optimistic when Townsend was appointed but more for my memories of him as a player than anything to do with his club coaching record (about which I was fairly uninformed).

He's now blotted his copybook as far as I'm concerned. Poor selection decisions and a team that seems constrained when it's on the pitch. There's very little chance that we'll qualify out of our WC group. Even with a competent coach, it was going to be a massive ask but Townsend has done the opposite of making his squad gel and we won't see anything decent as a result.

To be fair Toonie club coaching record was good - Glasgow won the Pro12 in 2015.  But his time with Scotland has been more about him learning - who could forget his "I want Scotland to be the most exciting and fast test side around" - a season of shipping loads of points see us going the other way.  Failure to get past Japan in the last world cup was another black mark.

He's survived off the back of a very good record against England and some decent home records.  He's finished now, his contract only runs until the end of the RWC but this side are already showing signs of unhappiness with the head coach - no consistent gameplan is also killing us.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
56 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Who would folk like to replace Townsend?

I was going to ask this. It’s not a Neilson Oot vibe :lol: I genuinely know nothing about rugby Union coaches or who is good 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Who would folk like to replace Townsend?

If Cotter was willing, would have him back in an instant. He's in charge of Fiji and they are underfunded so would hope we could afford him.

If not O'Gara would be decent option if we could afford him.

Blair still untested at Edinburgh so your looking abroad at SA, NZ or Australia (same as we do for players but that's a different story).

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I was going to ask this. It’s not a Neilson Oot vibe :lol: I genuinely know nothing about rugby Union coaches or who is good 

Depends on who is left in NZ after they mess up their RWC bid - they will probably appoint Scott Robertson, but if they dont - I would throw any amount of cash at him.  We need a big coach to move us on, look what Gatland did in Wales - much better than the sum of their parts because of him.

Lots of revisionism about Cotter.  I dont remember any other Scotland coach shipping 60+ pts at Twickenham.

Cotter got us back on track, but like all his ASM sides (with practically a limitless budget) he could never quite get them over the edge.  

Nice to see Redpath back. I've no idea how he's been playing for his club side since he came back from injury, but he looked a future star in his one and only Scotland start to date.

I P Knightley

Richie ahead of Jonny seems an unusual call but I've not been following either all that closely of late.

Also pleased to see Redpath make a return. Knightley Minor, who follows these things more closely than I, tells me that he's been doing a decent job since his return.

Looking at it, it's a really good team. Whether they have the right tactics is the big question though. Good to have Kinghorn on the bench to cover for Hogg.

I've seen Redpath a couple of times in the last month and he's looking sharp - he and Hastings should help with the creativity.

Why was Richie Gray not in the 23 last week?

Jonny Gray has looked good for Exeter this season too.

Malinga the Swinga

They will win on Saturday. Anything else than win by 20 to 25 points would be disappointing. Won't prove much though as Fiji aren't great and lose any quality players to 7's or NZ.

Townsend will try and use it to prove we are getting better but real tests lie ahead.

Adam Hastings has never been good enough to start international rugby and never will be good enough. He does however play totally scripted rugby and will no doubt follow Townsend's instructions to the letter.

Hopefully one or both the wingers will receive at least 1 pass on attacking position which never happened last week.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Scotland consistent in giving up the penalties. 

Might break their record. 

Scotlands discipline is dreadful.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Scotlands discipline is dreadful.

Just now, Tazio said:

And that’s being kind. 

It's totally unacceptable to get a yellow card just after being warned. 

Again fair play to the referee. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's totally unacceptable to get a yellow card just after being warned. 

Again fair play to the referee. 

Surley to **** Townsend HAS to do something about the ill discipline??

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Surley to **** Townsend HAS to do something about the ill discipline??

Tbf to Townsend I am sure he is not coaching them to stand offside every time

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Tbf to Townsend I am sure he is not coaching them to stand offside every time

You'd think he could coach them not to though?

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Having played rugby there's never an accuse for being offside. 

Personally it's one of most straightforward parts of game. 

It's some my sons team is coached for everyweek.

You'd think he could coach them not to though?

I am sure he is they are just too stupid to follow

i mean after the first couple you would think they would realise the ref is hot on offside and adjust

but no we do it time and time again 

not Sure you can blame the coach for that

It's some my sons team is coached for everyweek.

The whole thing about staying onside is you have more control, vision and space. 

It's a no brainer. But not much brains on show. 

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I am sure he is they are just too stupid to follow

i mean after the first couple you would think they would realise the ref is hot on offside and adjust

but no we do it time and time again 

not Sure you can blame the coach for that

The same players don't commit the same infringements when playing for their clubs.

The same players don't commit the same infringements when playing for their clubs.

They will be very aware that every yard you stand off the Fiji players the more momentum they have in their runs as they have so much power and acceleration. But it’s a very fine line getting it right. 

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

So are you saying that Townsend is coaching them to be offside?

it’s a black and white thing if they are ok for club why would they be different for country?

Just now, Tazio said:

They will be very aware that every yard you stand off the Fiji players the more momentum they have in their runs as they have so much power and acceleration. But it’s a very fine line getting it right. 

It'll be interesting to see if other teams the play Fiji make the same amount infringements.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Agree but there seems to be no ref awareness 

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

So are you saying that Townsend is coaching them to be offside?

it’s a black and white thing if they are ok for club why would they be different for country?

Obviously I'm not saying he's coaching them to be offside, are you saying the coach has no influence?

The coaching would answer you second question. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It's not yards, it's inches. Staying onside you can put more force into the tackle. 

Going offside you give the opponents 5 yard line outs. 

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Obviously I'm not saying he's coaching them to be offside, are you saying the coach has no influence?

The coaching would answer you second question. 

Do you really think international players need coached on the offside line?

if they are doing it for club why would they be different for country?

my point is I understand they are playing it tight because of Fiji threat but once a couple of decisions go against them you would think they would have the intelligence to react accordingly