When did politics grip you.

ri Alban

When did you become interested in politics? My Dad was Shop steward, so I was brought up with Labour in the blood. I suppose with Thatcher it wasn't hard. 

What about yourself?

Thatcher. Falkands, Northern Ireland troubles, all the heavy infustries closing in Scotland, the miners strikes, dole queues, YTS schemes, and then the bitch tried to make me pay the poll tax. 

Horatio Caine
7 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

When the trade unions tried to bring the country to its knees and they are at it again now 

Bravo! You never miss an opportunity do you?

(Maybe should be playing you up front on Sat!)

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

When the trade unions tried to bring the country to its knees and they are at it again now 

Just sent back my teaching ballot for strike action after the last pay offer.....

:greggy:

Punks No Deid
3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Thatcher. Falklands, Northern Ireland troubles, all the heavy industries closing in Scotland, the miners strikes, dole queues, YTS schemes, and then the bitch tried to make me pay the poll tax. 

Same here PJ

Lead up to the Scottish independence referendum I suppose 

I have always found politics is interesting when there dramas and problems. When shit is boring we don’t tend to hear about it. 

Unfortunately it just seems like when drama after the next going all the way back to thatcher. Shit hasn’t been settled for a

long time. 

manaliveits105

So everything is due to a woman who was Prime Minister 33 years ago and died 10 years ago and nothing to do with the woman who has been responsible for running Scotland with our devolved powers for the past 9 years .:interehjrling:

Malinga the Swinga

Interesting that people's mind drawn to Thatcher. 

What about power cuts way before Maggie was PM, the three day week, joining EU, and the Winter of discontent which was overseen by Labour with Wilson/Callaghan governments. 

What about first independence referendum in Scotland or the setting of devolution.

These were all massive events in UK but all we get is Maggie Thatcher, mostly from posters who weren't alive when she was born. If you didn't experience Winter of Discontent, then you have no idea what living here was like and why Thatcher arose.

Some people really need to read and study history before speaking.

Malinga the Swinga

Instead of just repeating what your parents believed, go and find out for yourself and form your own opinions.

Parents can be wrong, they are from different generation and the world has changed.

When Thatcher got in, she offered people chance to escape from the horrific times suffered under labour, when unions ruled the roost and strikes were commonplace, often for ridiculous reasons and without any concern for workers in other industries.

People wanted to own their own homes because they were sick if living in shit council houses, having no central heating, having no double glazing and relying on a council to do anything when they could be arsed getting round to it.

Then of course there's the fly in the ointment.

Some of your parents voted her in and kept doing so. I know you don't like admitting it, but the numbers don't lie. She was popular in Scotland, she freed people of Scotland from the bleakness of mid/late 70's and swept to power.

Industrial action in winter of discontent, fuelled by inept Labour party and union abuse ****ed UK way more than Thatcher ever did but that's an inconvenient truth that many prefer to sweep away.

Since then, we have had decades to sort out the country, particularly Scotland, yet still the believers hark back to use her as an excuse. 

Maybe some of younger generation need to look more at themselves for explanation as to why things are they wat they are instead of constantly shirking responsibility.

16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Labour Government having to go to the IMF for assistance. 

Denis Healey, was it not?

44 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

So everything is due to a woman who was Prime Minister 33 years ago and died 10 years ago and nothing to do with the woman who has been responsible for running Scotland with our devolved powers for the past 9 years .:interehjrling:

Didn't actually READ the thread title that clearly mentions "WHEN" :vrface:

Thunder and Lightning
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The glorious day when thatcher was booted out of number 10 and was greeting in her car 🚗 

91532B45-D3A8-4FCF-B201-260E4DF611E7.jpeg

May i ask what age you are, I thought you were much younger than this would imply.

cheers

Probably when that war criminal Blair came to power I started to take notice more.

How he is free to roam the streets is incredible.

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Probably when that war criminal Blair came to power I started to take notice more.

How he is free to roam the streets is incredible.

To be fair to Bliar :ermm: he wasn't a war criminal when he came to power: he got around to that later.

I was interested in politics - or, more accurately, the ideals of social-justice, a fair society, equality of opportunity, and a firm belief that how much money you had should not be the deciding factor in the quality of education and healthcare you receive - from quite an early age. I still retain these core beliefs.

I was in my late teens during the Winter of Discontent and so was well aware of what was going on at the time, but that most certainly did not make all that followed on from that some sort of earthly paradise with a benign and all-knowing female deity leading us gently but firmly into a golden future of happiness and prosperity.

Malinga the Swinga
22 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

To be fair to Bliar :ermm: he wasn't a war criminal when he came to power: he got around to that later.

I was interested in politics - or, more accurately, the ideals of social-justice, a fair society, equality of opportunity, and a firm belief that how much money you had should not be the deciding factor in the quality of education and healthcare you receive - from quite an early age. I still retain these core beliefs.

I was in my late teens during the Winter of Discontent and so was well aware of what was going on at the time, but that most certainly did not make all that followed on from that some sort of earthly paradise with a benign and all-knowing female deity leading us gently but firmly into a golden future of happiness and prosperity.

I never said it did, but it explains why it provided an opportunity for it all to happen.

Far too easy to blame the disease without understanding the symptoms that caused it.

3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What about power cuts way before Maggie was PM, the three day week, joining EU, and the Winter of discontent which was overseen by Labour with Wilson/Callaghan governments. 

What about first independence referendum in Scotland or the setting of devolution.

These were all massive events in UK but all we get is Maggie Thatcher, mostly from posters who weren't alive when she was born. If you didn't experience Winter of Discontent, then you have no idea what living here was like and why Thatcher arose.

I'd hazard a guess that there very few posters that were alive when she was born, if any.

Malinga the Swinga
11 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'd hazard a guess that there very few posters that were alive when she was born, if any.

Which is why they need to educate themselves. Its pathetic to listen to some 20/30 year old blaming Thatcher when they have no experience of her and base it on hearsay.

periodictabledancer

Thatcher - specifically Orgreave, I realised no one was safe and the police would do anything she wanted them to. 

30 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Which is why they need to educate themselves. Its pathetic to listen to some 20/30 year old blaming Thatcher when they have no experience of her and base it on hearsay.

So by definition it must be ok for anybody over 30 to trash her and her politics then. Or are you doubling down on the must be alive when she was born?

I make it you would need to be at least 97 to fall into that category.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, graygo said:

So by definition it must be ok for anybody over 30 to trash her and her politics then. Or are you doubling down on the must be alive when she was born?

I make it you would need to be at least 97 to fall into that category.

Either I have confused you or you are confusing me. 

I meant if you haven't lived under Thatcher's government, preferably Winter of Discontent as well, then you can't really understand what it was like. Going you would need to be early teens as a minimum to remember it, then late 50's onwards.

periodictabledancer
41 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

"Hearsay" their familes lived experience and living directly with the consequences of her economic policies.  

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Either I have confused you or you are confusing me. 

I meant if you haven't lived under Thatcher's government, preferably Winter of Discontent as well, then you can't really understand what it was like. Going you would need to be early teens as a minimum to remember it, then late 50's onwards.

Confused?  You tell me which one of us is.

"These were all massive events in UK but all we get is Maggie Thatcher, mostly from posters who weren't alive when she was born." 

Were you alive when she was born?

If you meant to say "mostly from posters who weren't born when she was alive"  then just put your hands up, admit you got it wrong and we can all move on.

Malinga the Swinga
31 minutes ago, graygo said:

Confused?  You tell me which one of us is.

"These were all massive events in UK but all we get is Maggie Thatcher, mostly from posters who weren't alive when she was born." 

Were you alive when she was born?

If you meant to say "mostly from posters who weren't born when she was alive"  then just put your hands up, admit you got it wrong and we can all move on.

It was alive when she was on power. Calm yourself down. Jeezo, I did say I could have confused you. 

9 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It was alive when she was on power. Calm yourself down. Jeezo, I did say I could have confused you. 

I often get confused when people say silly things 

We all make mistakes now and again. 

We can move on now that you've realised yours.

5 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The question was when did you get into politics. That's what brought some folk into politics. I don't know why you'd want to rant about it.

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The question was when did you get into politics. That's what brought some folk into politics. I don't know why you'd want to rant about it.

He wid pump her rotting corpse if he could!

Thatcher trashed Scotland without putting anything in to balance the destruction. Places wiped out because of her. Your damn right people have long memories of the bitch. 

I wasn't born when Hitler tried to take over the planet, but by God I fecking hate the *****. 

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

He wid pump her rotting corpse if he could!

He obviously wasn't living in places that lost their soul because of her. Yes the industries needed reformed, but she put trouble making coppeers in amongst striking miners. And demonised them. She blamed Hillsborough on the Liverpool fans, with the help of her wee poodle paper, the scum  She went to war with Argentina, when she could have solved it without anyone losing their lives, so she could win an election. She shut down Scotland and he's telling folk who suffered through their parents suffering, as uneducated. He needs to go to places like Motherwell and tell them to educate themselves about Thatcher. He'd get kicked up and down the town centre.

New Town Loafer

Instead of just repeating what your parents believed, go and find out for yourself and form your own opinions.

Parents can be wrong, they are from different generation and the world has changed.

When Thatcher got in, she offered people chance to escape from the horrific times suffered under labour, when unions ruled the roost and strikes were commonplace, often for ridiculous reasons and without any concern for workers in other industries.

People wanted to own their own homes because they were sick if living in shit council houses, having no central heating, having no double glazing and relying on a council to do anything when they could be arsed getting round to it.

Some of your parents voted her in and kept doing so. I know you don't like admitting it, but the numbers don't lie. She was popular in Scotland, she freed people of Scotland from the bleakness of mid/late 70's and swept to power.

Industrial action in winter of discontent, fuelled by inept Labour party and union abuse ****ed UK way more than Thatcher ever did but that's an inconvenient truth that many prefer to sweep away.

Since then, we have had decades to sort out the country, particularly Scotland, yet still the believers hark back to use her as an excuse. 

Maybe some of younger generation need to look more at themselves for explanation as to why things are they wat they are instead of constantly shirking responsibility.

Nail on the ****ing head.

22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He obviously wasn't living in places that lost their soul because of her. Yes the industries needed reformed, but she put trouble making coppeers in amongst striking miners. And demonised them. She blamed Hillsborough on the Liverpool fans, with the help of her wee poodle paper, the scum  She went to war with Argentina, when she could have solved it without anyone losing their lives, so she could win an election. She shut down Scotland and he's telling folk who suffered through their parents suffering, as uneducated. He needs to go to places like Motherwell and tell them to educate themselves about Thatcher. He'd get kicked up and down the town centre.

Don't stop at Motherwell but your point stands. 

10 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Thanks for acknowledging that the trade unions are trying to lift this country from the gutter back on to its knees. Respect. 

6 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The internet allows you this absurdity. 

If you'd stood up in any pub in Scotland during the time Thatcher was PM and ranted this rubbish you'd have got your ****ing head kicked in. And you know it. 

14 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

If you'd stood up in any pub in Scotland during the time Thatcher was PM and ranted this rubbish you'd have got your ****ing head kicked in. And you know it. 

You are right, exactly what happened in the last Indy ref too by all accounts - the majority of folks quietly kept their own council and the vocal minority couldn't understand why they lost.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Thatcher trashed Scotland without putting anything in to balance the destruction. Places wiped out because of her. Your damn right people have long memories of the bitch. 

I wasn't born when Hitler tried to take over the planet, but by God I fecking hate the *****. 

I remember Thatcher well and I grew up in a Tory house. My dad is still a Tory or he would be if he was still voting without a shadow, he’s a rangers supporting, royal loving unionist to his boots.
I’ve voted Tory in the past but I’ve seen that I’m really not one of these sorts the older I’ve gotten. 
Im not a raging socialist I believe you should work hard and not be penalised for it but I believe in a society. 
I want my kid and hopefully any grandchildren to be left a good place to live. 
I don’t believe this current Tory lot are the ones who even care what is left they’re so detached from it. Thatcher set us on this path 40 years ago and I believe something must break it or there won’t be much left. 
Anyway I suppose I’ve always had an interest but it was the indyref that supercharged me about politics and I’ll admit Salmond was probably the first politician I actually liked. 
Smart, full of quick quips and put downs and just made me quite bullish about Scotland for a change. 
Compare his snp to this lot. Night and day. I CBA with NS’s snp. 

4 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

You are right, exactly what happened in the last Indy ref too by all accounts - the majority of folks quietly kept their own council and the vocal minority couldn't understand why they lost.

Apart from the fact the only people kicking folks heads in were unionists.

manaliveits105
4 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

That’s what would happen again :sweeet:

33 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

He's just overegging things after his month of simpering frock worshiping royalist loving he's need another edgy line.

Ooooh lets talk up Thatcher.

Konrad von Carstein

Not gripped as such, but I grew up in a single parent family during the Thatcher* years and for me and my contemporaries had an awful time Out of my group of friends, around 10 of us, I was the only one who managed to get a job, Scotland being used as a lab rat for the poll tax cemented my hatred of the Tories. I'm ashamed to admit that I was a Labour voter then, but Tony Blair's failure to make the changes he promised and the shenanigans with Labour standing shoulder to shoulder with the Tories in the run up to the indie vote turned me from a soft No to a hard Yes...the fallout from the vote the trashing of the promises of the Vow :lol: have moulded me into a separatist and I hope that the current sharlatans in government at WM put the final nail in this rotten union.

*Much as I despise/d her and her politics she wouldn't have seen any of this shower in her road, she was a leader and had vision for the country, she wasn't in it for personal enrichment like this current bunch of welts.

WorldChampions1902
11 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Your post conveniently overlooks the fact that Thatcher was infiltrating Trades Unions with state-sponsored spies to report back and generally sh*t-stir. How very democratic.

As for the Falklands she sacrificed the lives of our brave service personnel for her own political gains. An utterly evil woman who inflicted untold damage on this country, much of which we continue to pay the price for today.

Nucky Thompson

I've never been gripped by politics.

I would never discuss politics when in the company of people in real life.

People who support a political party like a football team are a bunch of sad sacks