When did politics grip you.

ri Alban

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

You are right, exactly what happened in the last Indy ref too by all accounts - the majority of folks quietly kept their own council and the vocal minority couldn't understand why they lost.

Where. I didn't see or here any trouble, until George Sq. Then we seen the real dangerous Scots, the loyalist, unionist monarchists. Next time they find Men waiting for them, not the kids who were in George Sq that night. I we'll be tooled up ready to feck them up.

22 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

When Nigel Farrage started to rule the roost and constantly get it right.

Mrs Glass, your son has escaped the basement again.

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Mrs Glass, your son has escaped the basement again.

Am a basa

Not mrs

Edited by Smoked-Glass

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Where. I didn't see or here any trouble, until George Sq. Then we seen the real dangerous Scots, the loyalist, unionist monarchists. Next time they find Men waiting for them, not the kids who were in George Sq that night. I we'll be tooled up ready to feck them up.

🤣🤣

Beside the rest of the post I didn’t see or have any terrible divisive arguments with anyone either. The only place I ever discuss it now is on here.
I’d say I have half and half with friends and family and it never got out of hand. 
I respect that they want a different outcome for the same reasons as me. 

periodictabledancer
3 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

When Nigel Farrage started to rule the roost and constantly get it right.

How many times did he stand for election and how many times did he fail ? 

il Duce McTarkin
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'll be tooled up ready to feck them up.

Lets ****ing 'ave ya, hoosers.

Funny guy with nunchucks on white Stock Photo | Adobe Stock

17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

When did you become interested in politics? My Dad was Shop steward, so I was brought up with Labour in the blood. I suppose with Thatcher it wasn't hard. 

What about yourself?

Judging by some of the replies on this thread that completely miss the point, all I can say is Christ on an e-bike. :rolleyes: 

Anyway, events in 1972 got me into current affairs.  I wouldn't have really understood their significance, but they were gripping stories - stuff like Bloody Sunday and its aftermath, Direct Rule in NI.  Nixon meeting Mao, and Ireland and the UK deciding to join the EEC.  It was also the year in which I got my first introduction to an American Presidential election campaign, and the Watergate story began to break.  The war in Vietnam was winding down and constantly in the news.

But that was more current affairs than politics as such.  My interest in politics probably kicked off in 1974 with two UK General Elections that got massive coverage here, and that interest continued to develop gradually through my teenage years.  It was also at that age that I developed an interest in psephology (quantitative analysis of elections) that I have to this day.

7 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

How many times did he stand for election and how many times did he fail ? 

Exactly.  Yet he's still influencing the whole place.

Psychedelicropcircle
20 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Instead of just repeating what your parents believed, go and find out for yourself and form your own opinions.

Parents can be wrong, they are from different generation and the world has changed.

When Thatcher got in, she offered people chance to escape from the horrific times suffered under labour, when unions ruled the roost and strikes were commonplace, often for ridiculous reasons and without any concern for workers in other industries.

People wanted to own their own homes because they were sick if living in shit council houses, having no central heating, having no double glazing and relying on a council to do anything when they could be arsed getting round to it.

Then of course there's the fly in the ointment.

Some of your parents voted her in and kept doing so. I know you don't like admitting it, but the numbers don't lie. She was popular in Scotland, she freed people of Scotland from the bleakness of mid/late 70's and swept to power.

Industrial action in winter of discontent, fuelled by inept Labour party and union abuse ****ed UK way more than Thatcher ever did but that's an inconvenient truth that many prefer to sweep away.

Since then, we have had decades to sort out the country, particularly Scotland, yet still the believers hark back to use her as an excuse. 

Maybe some of younger generation need to look more at themselves for explanation as to why things are they wat they are instead of constantly shirking responsibility.

I a mind that time every lunch time eating stovies during the miners strike, she certainly freed me of choice. I never ate stovies again until the ***** died then had a bowl wi a glass o champagne 

No interest whatsoever, this thread is a good barometer of why in certain parts. 

All I've achieved in my life was down to me, I don't blame anyone for anything I've done or not done.

I left Scotland during the Thatcher years because Scotland was a downtrodden shell of a country gripped in hate. Its still the same now incidentally, just a new breed of haters, hating something else.

While I don't champion complete, up you Jack, I'll just look after myself. There are times when the biggest issues in your life are staring at you in the mirror. 

It's commonplace nowadays to snigger at the religious loonies that pin their existence onto a deity that may or may not have ever existed, living life by the good book. For me, all political experts are in the same category. 

These types need someone or something to blame when they don't get their own way. Each to their own of course, but I think it's a waste of a life I'm being honest.

New Town Loafer

Didn’t grip me at the time but the Iraq War and then the MP expenses scandal were my first strong memories.

Scottish referendum was probably the real start.

20 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I've never been gripped by politics.

I would never discuss politics when in the company of people in real life.

People who support a political party like a football team are a bunch of sad sacks

:blah:

On 19/10/2022 at 19:40, manaliveits105 said:

The union strikes and blackouts started pre Thatcher in the 1970s 

Yeah, shows how long Westminster has been making an arse of it and still does...

On 19/10/2022 at 20:16, Nucky Thompson said:

People who support a political party like a football team are a bunch of sad sacks

I agree with this. A "card carrying member" of any political colour is a bit weird TBH.