" A place in the sun" tv programme

JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy

I like this programme as one gets to see lovely cities . towns and countries abroad .  In particular in Europe. Its mainly Europe based. 

What does get on my tits is when the " ex pats" aka immigrants have no motivation to intigate into their chosen country of residence.

Its mostly noticeable with the arseholes who want to move to Spain for some reason and want to be part of the " ex pats" communty,

Or the ones who have completely unrealistic expectations regarding properties and what they want as opposed to what they can actually afford .  Most are complete and utter timewasters who wants things like

a three bedroom property 

a pool

a  " view" 

near the town centre 

a garden 

a patio 

usually for under 100 grand Euros .

aye bolt

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Doctor FinnBarr

• ri Alban

• jack D and coke

Konrad von Carstein
5 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I like this programme as one gets to see lovely cities . towns and countries abroad .  In particular in Europe. Its mainly Europe based. 

What does get on my tits is when the " ex pats" aka immigrants have no motivation to intigate into their chosen country of residence.

Its mostly noticeable with the arseholes who want to move to Spain for some reason and want to be part of the " ex pats" communty,

Or the ones who have completely unrealistic expectations regarding properties and what they want as opposed to what they can actually afford .  Most are complete and utter timewasters who wants things like

a three bedroom property 

a pool

a  " view" 

near the town centre 

a garden 

a patio 

aye bolt

A wee bit research and you'll be surprised what you can get for that budget in Spain, depending on location.

When I am in the mood half an hour on the  Kyero website, brings on a rage about what Brexit has snatched from many people's dreams and aspirations.

Although the current crisis tempers that rage.

ETA: I also despair of the Sunday roast and Wednesday bingo in a British aka English style pub types

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

A wee bit research and you'll be surprised what you can get for that budget in Spain, depending on location.

When I am in the mood half an hour on the  Kyero website, brings on a rage about what Brexit has snatched from many people's dreams and aspirations.

see thats what i dont understand now ?how can these people still try and buy properties in Europe due to Brexit.? Its never ever mentioned. 

The Mighty Thor

My Mrs watches it. 

Saw it one afternoon where Dave n Shazza from Essex wanted a white washed villa in mijas. 

5 visits later .....its too Spanish init

:facepalm:

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

My Mrs watches it. 

Saw it one afternoon where Dave n Shazza from Essex wanted a white washed villa in mijas. 

LOL that's exactly what drives me up the wall.  :) move to Spain but have zero interest in Spanish culture or the language.  Arggghh.  They all seem to just want to get pished every day in the sun with the same types of people. I really struggle with it as its been proven that living in sunny climates isn't necessarily  any better than living in a colder climate. You'll probably blow a gasket if you watch " Bargain  loving Brits in the sun".  That's even worse.  

Like i said the classier property hunters seem to be the ones looking for places in France and Italy. 

Konrad von Carstein
37 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

see thats what i dont understand now ?how can these people still try and buy properties in Europe due to Brexit.? Its never ever mentioned. 

Well, you can spend 90(?) Days out of 180 there and I assume rent it out when you're not there , or, if you have the means I think you can procure residency think it involves buying a property of a certain value and proving you have a certain amount of independent income.

Portugal has something similar.

These schemes probably dissuade the Little England types :lol:

My medium term plan may involve a spouses visa in Poland, where it is currently 35 degrees! This is renewed/ reviewed on a 2 yearly basis, currently trying for the 4th time, to learn the language.  :(

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Well, you can spend 90(?) Days out of 180 there and I assume rent it out when you're not there , or, if you have the means I think you can procure residency think it involves buying a property of a certain value and proving you have a certain amount of independent income.

My medium term plan may involve a spouses visa in Poland, where it is currently 35 degrees! This is renewed/ reviewed on a 2 yearly basis, currently trying for the 4th time, to learn the language.  :(

Tag :) 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Hink you mean tak? :)

lol oh u know me im daft...i thought it was " tag" :) 

Konrad von Carstein
9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Ha! Been upping my Chinese level recently for similar reasons. Also, the fact that they're probably going to do a kind of reverse colonialisation to us in the next 20 years. I'll be one of the collaborators with extra rat meat in my ration.

FWIW, My grandfather moved to Spain and learned the language. While he didn't exactly go out of his way to integrate himself into the local Spanish community (not always easy unless you go somewhere to work, rather than retire), it shouldn't be beyond folk to become functional in the language if they live their long enough.

Yeah, I get the immersion principle, many ( many :( ) years ago I was able to hold my own in Spanish, not fluent by any measure but a bit above dos cerveca...my ex and I had a lovely young Spanish girl give us tuition at home as well as night classes, sadly I lost it all - bits and bobs come back when I'm on holiday.

Regarding po polsku I have taken 3 night class courses over the the years with little success, I was ok in the class but as soon as I got home - Kurwa!  :lol:

JudyJudyJudy

Yes its an odd one about languages I struggle with Italian and Spanish but am not too bad at French. Terrible at English like 

Konrad von Carstein
7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I thought 'kurwa' meant 'hooker' in various Eastern European languages?! I'd be distracted from language learning if my gaff was full of prozzies, TBF.

My Spanish is a mess after spending a year in the Catalan hinterland where speaking Castellano was frowned upon. Now I speak a mix of the two, prompting funny looks from the locals. Doesn't help that I picked up Spanish in Jaen province and, according to my mate from Santander, sound like a fecking farmer.

There's a brilliant book (written in 1990) by Earl Stevick called Success With Foreign Langauges in which he looks at seven case studies of people who have learned completely different languages in a variety of contexts. Really interesting and he nicely distills the successful elements of all seven into a reasonable 'to it like this' list. I have a pdf copy if you ever need a bit of motivation.

Kurwa, I can tell you with much certainty, after witnessing it being roared by my missus in a way you'd not think possible if you saw her :lol:means  F.ck or f.ck off.

A pdf by message would be appreciated 👍

It's my guilty pleasure TV show along with other c4 programmes like Come Dine, Escape to the Chateau etc.

Prefer when it's houses in rural France or Italy etc as opposed to the ten a penny Spanish holiday resorts catering for Brits.

You can tell the folk that really have no intention of buying a place! Maybe I'm being cynical!

Jambo_jim2001

If only we made the same effort getting immigrants into this country to learn the lingo😮 is that racist thinking like that??

Back in the bad old days,if immigration officers couldn't pronounce the surname,you were given a British sounding one

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

I’m addicted to Bargain Brits in the Sun

Happy Days 🙂 

Oh same here ! Love it ! 

Jambo_jim2001
10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I spend a large proportion of my working life speaking with immigrants to the UK, from just about every country on the planet. The majority have a good grasp of English.

A couple of polish guys I worked beside,learned English watching movies 👍  one of them moved to Cumbernauld,he thought they spoke a different language 😂😂

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

D8413EE4-B538-41C8-91FC-63142A9CDB2D.jpeg

Nice bazzookers but that grating voice and laugh. !!! Arghh 

The White Cockade
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Nice bazzookers but that grating voice and laugh. !!! Arghh 

I think she’s lovely!

That thing you do
4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

My Mrs watches it. 

Me and my Mexican Mrs had two forgettable years in Mijas Costa/Marbella. She tried to join a club and was told "no spanish in ere love" when she asked for forms in Spanish.

This IS the problem. They want Essex on Sea. All the same, no need for Spanish just give us Chelmsford but nice weather innit. And no Spanish grub neither.

This mentality drives me nuts. Starting to see Gringos esp Californians here in Mexico doing the same thing and living in clusters, avoiding speaking Spanish and making it unaffordable for locals while moaning its not like the States but walking around with noses up.

You know the type. "Just arrived. Looking for a maid, full time, reliable, cheap, must speak english..." buena suerte señora..

Edited by That thing you do

Wanted down under(I think) always had me wanting to go to NZ(Not Australia). So much so I signed up  to NZ immigration. :D Too auld noo.

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, jonesy said:

it shouldn't be beyond folk to become functional in the language if they live their long enough.

* There (sorry, too good to miss 😘)

This forum blows that argument clean out the water. 

It must be easier to learn while living in whichever country you reside. I spoke better English living in Inverness. :)

Mrs JJ watches all these type of shows, I have on occasion watched 'a place in the sun' as well, some really nice properties in really nice locations.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It must be easier to learn while living in whichever country you reside. I spoke better English living in Inverness. :)

Much, much easier. I pick up more in a few days than a month on a course.

11 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes its an odd one about languages I struggle with Italian and Spanish but am not too bad at French. Terrible at English like 

Very similar in structure.

10 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

I’m addicted to Bargain Brits in the Sun

Happy Days 🙂 

I watch that, I hate everyone on it. They are usually the folk to avoid on holiday.

Francis Albert
14 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

ETA: I also despair of the Sunday roast and Wednesday bingo in a British aka English style pub types

I think you can still buy properties in the EU. If not the programme won't be around for long.

On the OP's post agree with his dislikes but there quite a few who expressly ask for somewhere outside the touristy tpwns and who want to learn Spanish and live in a mainly Spanish community.

One thing that does annoy me are people with say an 80,000 budget who make an offer of 50,000 to 55,000 on a 75,000 property.  I am sure in the real world they would often be told to GTF but the show I think censors such rejections to keep it positive. 

Konrad von Carstein
14 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

18 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think you can still buy properties in the EU. If not the programme won't be around for long.

On the OP's post agree with his dislikes but there quite a few who expressly ask for somewhere outside the touristy tpwns and who want to learn Spanish and live in a mainly Spanish community.

One thing that does annoy me are people with say an 80,000 budget who make an offer of 50,000 to 55,000 on a 75,000 property.  I am sure in the real world they would often be told to GTF but the show I think censors such rejections to keep it positive. 

See my earlier post above...my Brexit rant was around not being able to permanently locate in Spain or elsewhere in the EU without a sizable amount of cash.

A couple I know used to go to Palma in Mallorca a lot, and made friends with lots of people in one of the local gay bars. Both locals and tourists. After a few years one of the owners asked them why the hell they didn’t buy a property there as they were there 5 or 6 times a year. So they looked into it and discovered they could get a studio flat for not a great outlay. They added it into their mortgage somehow and now have their own holiday home. The owner of the pub looks after it and rents it for them when they aren’t there. 

Doctor FinnBarr
12 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Loads of them are chancers with no intention of buying anywhere. They just fancied a jolly in the sun and getting on the telly.

Is that the way to go? I'm guessing they need proof of funds before you'll be considered?

We've got enough to pretend.

Absolute wankers the lot of them..

I remember way way back in 1990.. I was ( not quite) 16..

We were in portugal (my mum, dad and myself)..

in a wee cafe/restaurant type place and this Brummie couple  moaned like **** for at least 10 minutes about the menu before the owner came over and asked "would you like some egg and chips?"...

"yes please mate.. but be sure and make the eggs runny and the chips tasty..".. 

****ing seriously?!! 216 years old and I know what a pair of ***** look like.

Always, Always,.. and I mean ALWAYS.. learn something of the local language wherever you go... people appreciate it effort..  

5 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Absolute wankers the lot of them..

I remember way way back in 1990.. I was ( not quite) 16..

We were in portugal (my mum, dad and myself)..

in a wee cafe/restaurant type place and this Brummie couple  moaned like **** for at least 10 minutes about the menu before the owner came over and asked "would you like some egg and chips?"...

"yes please mate.. but be sure and make the eggs runny and the chips tasty..".. 

****ing seriously?!! *216 years old and I know what a pair of ***** look like.

Always, Always,.. and I mean ALWAYS.. learn something of the local language wherever you go... people appreciate it effort..  

*Some paper run you've had. :rolleyes2:

Ainsley Harriott
On 26/08/2022 at 20:54, JudyJudyJudy said:

a three bedroom property 

a pool

a  " view" 

near the town centre 

a garden 

a patio 

aye bolt

Folk like what they like. If they enjoy a bit of Britishness in the sun with a pool then that's what they should get. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Spain think there are much better European countries to spend time in.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Me and my fiancee where on it a few months ago 

Did u buy anything ? Or where use time wasters ? 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Folk like what they like. If they enjoy a bit of Britishness in the sun with a pool then that's what they should get. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Spain think there are much better European countries to spend time in.

I prefer to stay in Scotland really . Not a sun lover anyway and not a full time boozer which most of them seem  to be who are on it .  If I moved abroad it would be Italy of France 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Did u buy anything ? Or where use time wasters ? 

Yes we bought a nice villa on the Algarve 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Sounds lovely.  

24 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Super.

You'll have to post the photos of it.

Considering you said, only a matter of weeks ago, that you never left your room (or bed), that’s great to hear that you now own a villa in Portugal.

Well done, you!  👍

Just now, Morgan said:

Super.

Considering you said, only a matter of weeks ago, that you never left your room (or bed), that’s great to hear that you now own a villa in Portugal.

Well done, you!  👍

Ooft 😆

rudi must stay
15 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Super.

Well done, you!  👍

Yes it's been a good couple of weeks. My parents told me to get my act together, saw it a couple of months ago I thought why not. Love the place, no photos I don't believe in photography 

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Yes it's been a good couple of weeks. My parents told me to get my act together, saw it a couple of months ago I thought why not. Love the place, no photos I don't believe in photography 

Great stuff, sir.

I’m chuffed to bits for you.

Does your fiancé disbelieve in photography too?  

Even a wee snap would be heartwarming.