Derby ratings

Geoff Kilpatrick

3 main problems.

Not taking chances

Making too many subs when they are not actually needed and are quite frankly just disruptive. The same last week v RC and in my view was a factor in us losing the goal.
Making a change of formation when the previous one was working just fine.

Last 2 are down to Robbie. He tries to be too clever too often. I hope someone is making this point to him. These are the results that will cost us dearly this season. We need to keep clean sheets too. Both matches so far should have been, but we’rent unfortunately. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• davie1980

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• RustyRightPeg

45 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Thought MOTM was a toss up between Haring and Cochrane. Both excellent. 

For me Cochrane and Boyce

Edited by tcjambo

1 minute ago, tcjambo said:

For me Cochrane and Boyce

Disagree re Boyce, felt he was poor today, rarely found a team mate.

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

8s and 9s from drawing with Hibs? Not for me.

Me neither but the manager takes most of the blame for his awful defensive subs. 

Just now, Martin_T said:

Took a lot of punishment and broke up their play

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Boyce was a menace. Up there in the motm contenders too.

I only saw him create one chance for Atkinson, a header in the first half. He worked hard but what else did he do to last so long?

49 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Neilson 0 - If ever there was a game to sum Robbie Neilson up then this was it. 

I'm usually one to stick up for Neilson, but we have started the season in pretty crap form and the subs today totally put us on the back foot. 

Definitely a zero rating.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, tcjambo said:

Took a lot of punishment and broke up their play

Surely we have to expect more from a striker?

Finlay James
52 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Gordon - 8 - Had to make one save in the game and it was a cracker. Should be fuming at Sibbick for costing him a clean sheet

Smith - 6 - Solid

Cochrane - 8 - Excellent second half on top of a good first half

Halkett - 7 - No pressure on him at all

Haring - 9 - MoM. Dominated the midfield. Night and day from last week

Rowles - 7 - Looked much better in a back four and untroubled throughout

Grant - 6 - Got stuck in but his set pieces were woeful

McKay - 7 - Moments of genius including setting up the goal but his misses cost us in the end

Shankland - 8 - Goal, goal line clearance and gave their centre halves nightmares

Boyce - 7 - Did the dirty work up front. Almost an assist with Atkinson

Forrest - 6 - Not his best but never hid

Subs:

Atkinson - 5 - Much better than last week. Unlucky not to score

Sibbick - 0 - Cost us the two points

Devlin - 3 - Got stuck in

Halliday - 1 - No time

Nailed the ratings.

We never got out of 1st gear all game but then we never needed to either.  Disappointing end but their celebrations further strengthens just how far ahead of Hibs we are in terms of quality and expectations.  Hibs know they will be in a relegation battle this season so huge point for them as they are woeful.

Walter Bishop

Writing was on the wall when Neilson changed our formation, team and style of play when they brought on their new loan signing. 

These are the games that Haring is made for, not so much Grant, both good players but need to be used in the right situations.

Smith was decent enough but it's worrying he came off again. Sibbick and Atkinson for replacements are a nightmare. We need a new RWB.

I like our starting forward line but we need more numbers as we saw there is nothing to replace them with.

indianajones
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I only saw him create one chance for Atkinson, a header in the first half. He worked hard but what else did he do to last so long?

Thought he did well in bringing the ball down and holding up play. 

50 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

The Nelison out squad have been woken up ,missed them.

Cochrane, Harring and Shankland excellent .mckay good as was Boyce .

Gordon was Gordon.

There also seem to be a fair amount of supporters who think he should be immune to criticism.

I usually back RN to the hilt. However, today I think he got it wrong and it cost us. He deserves criticism today.

Watt-Zeefuik
44 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Gordon - 8 - Had to make one save in the game and it was a cracker. Should be fuming at Sibbick for costing him a clean sheet

Smith - 6 - Solid

McKay - 7 - Moments of genius including setting up the goal but his misses cost us in the end

Shankland - 8 - Goal, goal line clearance and gave their centre halves nightmares

Subs:

Halliday - 1 - No time

Sibbick and Rowles, or more specifically a lack of understanding between them, cost us the goal. Putting all the blame on Sibbick is harsh. He did well other than one mental let down at the end.

32 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

Surely we are allowed to criticise him? Same as when players get it. Doesn't mean everyone who does criticise him wants him out! 

"Neilson 0" isn't criticism, it's toys-oot-the-pram stuff. Folk who don't like the 3-4-3 (IMO who don't understand it but anyway) are raging about it but while we were in it we generated chances and Atkinson almost had the security goal.As for the subs . . .

12 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Atkinson was pretty poor mate.

And he came on for Forrest, there's no way you can say that wasn't a back ward step

Smith > Sibbick (CB on for a RB)

Forrest > Atkinson (RWB on for RW)

Grant > Devlin (CDM on for CM)

Boyce > Halliday (**** sake)

Every change was a negative one and took us deeper.

You could see the mentality of the team became about holding on and by the time we were in injury time we were camped in our box lumping it up the pitch.

This is over the top.

Sibbick on for Smith isn't much of a defensive change. In our 3-4-3 both are supposed to range forward and attack. Devlin is not a deep lying player FFS—when he's fully fit he's our most forward-playing central mid. Atkinson was nearly camped out deep on their wings and causing problems there, and took a fine shot that nearly went in. When we went to the 3-4-3 today Atkinson didn't play noticeably deeper than Forest in the 4-2-3-1 and Cochrane absolutely took over the left side.

I can't argue much about Halliday. It was the wrong sub although I get the thinking, former derby hero, come on, get stuck in, hopefully something pops loose. Honestly I think Neilson had decided he was done with subs, until Boyce got scythed down, and he kind of panicked and threw on Halliday because when in doubt throw on Halliday. He got that wrong. We can criticize him for that without going bonkers.

I'd say Neilson 6, which is to say he made mistakes without going into plane-flying territory.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Thought he did well in bringing the ball down and holding up play. 

Someone else sad that and you’re both right, I just don’t think he’s creating much or looking like scoring and we need more from him or someone else in that position. 

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Someone else sad that and you’re both right, I just don’t think he’s creating much or looking like scoring and we need more from him or someone else in that position. 

To me there were several times he held the ball up and retained possession, and put the Hibs defence on the back foot. No, he didn't have any potential assists but we generated 12 shots with 6 on target, which should have been enough to generate a second.

Gordon - 8 - Top save. Claimed crosses well

blameless

Smith - 6 - Decent defensively poor distribution 

Cochrane - 8 MOM for me. Best game he’s had

Halkett - 8 Looks more assured and solid

Haring - 8 - Tireless. Very good game

Rowles - 7 Unspectacular but grafted and defended well

Grant - 6 - Good contribution but not his day

McKay - 7 - Pure quality at times. Can change a game

Shankland - 8 - Gonna be a player for us. Not just goals but work ethic

Boyce - 8 - Best game in a while. Tan his socks off

Forrest - 6 - Given time will be a top player for us

Subs:

Atkinson - 4 Could have scored

Sibbick - 0 - Awful

Devlin - 3 - Meh

Halliday - 1 - Meh II

I thought we set up very positively and had the game. If we’d taken our chances would have been another horsing 

Substitutions didn’t really help and, ultimately cost us the initiative

on to next game 

1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

Neilson 0 - If ever there was a game to sum Robbie Neilson up then this was it. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Neilson 0. Only rating that matters unfortunately. *****. 

100% agree.  This game summed up Robbie Neilson.  He gets a hard-on if we’re 1-0 with 15 to go.

19 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Sibbick and Rowles, or more specifically a lack of understanding between them, cost us the goal. Putting all the blame on Sibbick is harsh. He did well other than one mental let down at the end.

"Neilson 0" isn't criticism, it's toys-oot-the-pram stuff. Folk who don't like the 3-4-3 (IMO who don't understand it but anyway) are raging about it but while we were in it we generated chances and Atkinson almost had the security goal.As for the subs . . .

This is over the top.

Sibbick on for Smith isn't much of a defensive change. In our 3-4-3 both are supposed to range forward and attack. Devlin is not a deep lying player FFS—when he's fully fit he's our most forward-playing central mid. Atkinson was nearly camped out deep on their wings and causing problems there, and took a fine shot that nearly went in. When we went to the 3-4-3 today Atkinson didn't play noticeably deeper than Forest in the 4-2-3-1 and Cochrane absolutely took over the left side.

I can't argue much about Halliday. It was the wrong sub although I get the thinking, former derby hero, come on, get stuck in, hopefully something pops loose. Honestly I think Neilson had decided he was done with subs, until Boyce got scythed down, and he kind of panicked and threw on Halliday because when in doubt throw on Halliday. He got that wrong. We can criticize him for that without going bonkers.

I'd say Neilson 6, which is to say he made mistakes without going into plane-flying territory.

If the bit in bold is true we've major issues. Devlin is a good player and excellent at winning ball and breaking up play. He offers next to nothing going forward though imo. He's not a playmaker true but he's very much a number 6 skillset wise. He ends up further forward as he's over exuberant at times but he's not a goal threat.

It's wrong also imo, to dismiss those criticising today as being against 343. I think it's a great formation, big fan of it. It is defensive though when you deploy the personnel we did and it invited pressure on to us.

Neilson got it spot on until he started making the changes, so as you say 0 is spitting the dummy out. 

Edited by Taffin

We took a point off the filth, away from home!! Saw loads that bodes well for the future. Hail hail an aw that. This seasons gonna be fekn awesome!! 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

If the bit in bold is true we've major issues. Devlin is a good player and excellent at winning ball and breaking up play. He offers next to nothing going forward though imo.

It's wrong also imo, to dismiss those criticising today as being against 343. I think it's a great formation, big fan of it. It is defensive though when you deploy the personnel we did and it invited pressure on to us.

Neilson got it spot on until he started making the changes, so as you say 0 is spitting the dummy out. 

I realize this is the consensus among many on here but I disagree. He certainly goes wobbly when asked to shoot in the penalty box but to me he's a very good passer and turns quickly to carry the ball forward when he gets it, something that's missing from many of our midfielders. He's no McKay on the pass but who is?

5 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I realize this is the consensus among many on here but I disagree. He certainly goes wobbly when asked to shoot in the penalty box but to me he's a very good passer and turns quickly to carry the ball forward when he gets it, something that's missing from many of our midfielders. He's no McKay on the pass but who is?

I haven't looked so I may be miles off but I'm struggling to think of more than 1 goal and 1 assist he's provided. 

Deep players still need to be good at passing and carrying the ball, it doesn't mean they aren't predominantly deep players though. The biggest compliment I can pay him is that he reminds me of a budget Kovacic (a player I love)... unfortunately they often work so hard they end up with the ball in an attacking positions but 9 times out of 10 they don't do anything dangerous with it.

Edited by Taffin
Just to add the above is absolutely fine, not a criticism...I just don't see him as anything more attacking that at most an 8 of which he's not got the end product for (yet, imo)

33 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

I'm usually one to stick up for Neilson, but we have started the season in pretty crap form and the subs today totally put us on the back foot. 

Definitely a zero rating.

It is hard to say bad form. We’ve taken 4pts out of 6. 

But, and I keep coming back to this, he was very clear after the cup final that this was just the start and we had to improve in every area of the pitch to make the next step. I thought those comments were spot on. 

What is clear so far is that we have not improved in any are of the putch so far. We are certainly no better than last season and have far more games to play. 

He picked the team we all wanted today and the formstion, so credit to him for that. I agree though he gave Hibs the initiative in the last twenty mins when they were never in the game. 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I haven't looked so I may be miles off but I'm struggling to think of more than 1 goal and 1 assist he's provided. 

Deep players still need to be good at passing and carrying the ball, it doesn't mean they aren't predominantly deep players though. The biggest compliment I can pay him is that he reminds me of a budget Kovacic (a player I love)... unfortunately they often work so hard they end up with the ball in an attacking positions but 9 times out of 10 they don't do anything dangerous with it.

Two assists last season according to the all-knowing and never-wrong Wikipedia. To me he's defensive but not deep-lying. He provides some of our best defence by playing across midfield when the opponent has the ball, without leaving the defence exposed because of his ability to track back so quickly.  He wins us possession in the opposing half then starts the attack from there.

That's his biggest value to the team. Haring, Beni, and Smith in midfield have a lot of quality but they tend to sit deep, launch the ball forward, and then make runs once we've established a hold-up. Devlin on the other hand is always pushing up the pitch, always breaking up possession at their back and generating chaos. He's effective precisely because he's constantly getting forward.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, hearts00 said:

It is hard to say bad form. We’ve taken 4pts out of 6. 

But, and I keep coming back to this, he was very clear after the cup final that this was just the start and we had to improve in every area of the pitch to make the next step. I thought those comments were spot on. 

What is clear so far is that we have not improved in any are of the putch so far. We are certainly no better than last season and have far more games to play. 

He picked the team we all wanted today and the formstion, so credit to him for that. I agree though he gave Hibs the initiative in the last twenty mins when they were never in the game. 

I just can't agree with this. Forrest is better than any of our winger options from last season apart from McKay, Grant has significantly improved the midfield even though he was off a bit today (I don't think he'll usually be a CM), and Shankland may very well be better than Simms. What's happened is that we're currently considerably worse off at the back with Souttar gone and Kingsley hurt. We need that CH signing badly.

Just now, Led Tasso said:

I just can't agree with this. Forrest is better than any of our winger options from last season apart from McKay, Grant has significantly improved the midfield even though he was off a bit today (I don't think he'll usually be a CM), and Shankland may very well be better than Simms. What's happened is that we're currently considerably worse off at the back with Souttar gone and Kingsley hurt. We need that CH signing badly.

But where does Kingsley play when fit? He clearly plays but it leaves the back three unbalanced. Does he play LB in a four? 

I guess it is back to your point that we really need that RCB signing. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Homme said:

Cochrane my MOTM for the second week running. Just superb.

Yup,I was forever slating him last season as too defensive but the boy is getting better and better.

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, hearts00 said:

But where does Kingsley play when fit? He clearly plays but it leaves the back three unbalanced. Does he play LB in a four? 

I guess it is back to your point that we really need that RCB signing. 

Kingsley plays on the left side of a back three in most games, where he's absolutely outstanding and scores for fun. We do have a selection headache with him, Rowles, and Halkett, but to me Rowles gets roughly equal time at LCH and LWB. He's still settling in

But yes, we do not have a first choice RCB now and it's a major problem. I've said elsewhere we need a Simms-level loan player to slot in there. Sibbick and Neilson are fine for cover but the dropoff from Souttar staggers our squad.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Yup,I was forever slating him last season as too defensive but the boy is getting better and better.

He was phenomenal, particularly when we switched to the back 3.

Gordon 7

Smith. 5.   Caught out of position many times. 

Cochrane 7. Played better as a lb, much more positive.

Halkett. 6

Rowles 6

Haring 6.   Too slow, cohesion stops with his indecisiveness in possession. Fought hard though. 
Grant 5.  Tough debut derby but he’s got something to offer going forward. 

Boyce 6  Started brisk, offered himself well and linked play, which we needed. 
Mackay 7 lovely ball for goal but you just feel he could give more.  

Forrest. 6

Shankland 7.  Typical, quality number 9 finish.  Early second half chance may have killed game.  

Halkett and rowels were excellent together sibbick just got In the way,ridiculous to change our formation,completely handed them the initiative.Bringing on Halliday was a piece of nonsense.He picked an excellent team then completely ruined it.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

I agree.   And how slow is he?  Holds up moves that should be quicker.

I am a Boyce fan and think he does so much to link play. A great asset but after 60mins his legs appear to go. We need a decent alternative. Pace punishes tired defenders especially late on. I hope any future signings have that game-changing impact. Ginnelly & GMS don't do it for me. The introduction of Boyle had our manager making panic changes, (not a criticism) more a recognition of the qualities Boyle has. What player on our bench would have had that effect!? 

lost in space
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Smith - 6 - Solid

Subs:

Halliday - 1 - No time

Agree mostly but "5" for Atkinson???

Yes, he was better than last week. Last week he was absolutely terrible and this week he was very poor. Deserved no more than 2.

50 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Gordon 7

Smith. 5.   Caught out of position many times. 

Cochrane 7. Played better as a lb, much more positive.

Halkett. 6

Rowles 6

Haring 6.   Too slow, cohesion stops with his indecisiveness in possession. Fought hard though. 
Grant 5.  Tough debut derby but he’s got something to offer going forward. 

Boyce 6  Started brisk, offered himself well and linked play, which we needed. 
Mackay 7 lovely ball for goal but you just feel he could give more.  

Forrest. 6

Shankland 7.  Typical, quality number 9 finish.  Early second half chance may have killed game.  

Seriously, is that how you saw Haring? He was one of our best players in my view. Does the dirty work, very rarely plays a bad pass & wins his fair share of headers. He was MOTM for me with Cochrane! 

2 hours ago, Masonic said:

im going to switch it up for this one and give the fans a 3

what i dont get is if u have 100 loyalty pts why u no singing pal? u would think if someones going to every game home and away they would give a wee song a go every so often

Was happy to sing - just not the Union Jack/fenian shite 

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Smith - 6 - Solid

Subs:

Halliday - 1 - No time

Probably agree agree with that. Haring MOM for me, always in position to take a pass from a teammate, makes good covering tackles, Pings decent passes about,  and draws umpteen fouls just by getting his body in the right position. Not a sprinter by any means but not as slow as some would have you believe. Times his runs rather than being a headless chicken

2 hours ago, indianajones said:

Thought MOTM was a toss up between Haring and Cochrane. Both excellent. 

Very much so. Pete edges it for me. He was everywhere today. He won the ball back for us countless times. 

2 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Seriously, is that how you saw Haring? He was one of our best players in my view. Does the dirty work, very rarely plays a bad pass & wins his fair share of headers. He was MOTM for me with Cochrane! 

Mate, you need to see beyond that.  If we need to improve as a team we need more perception and quicker play in his role.  I never said he was crap, it was a mixed bag.  I’ve felt for long enough that to people they see a guy play in an area and do a job, we need more than that.

He’s rarely getting beyond half way.  He rarely takes a quick touch and plays it quicker.  It’s all methodical and safe.  Many instances today if you saw the game.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve like Peter for most part at Hearts. I’ve nothing against him in general.   His injuries have caught up and anyone would have sympathy there.  I do.   It’s time to move on or Hearts won’t.   

indianajones
Just now, Hearts1975 said:

Very much so. Pete edges it for me. He was everywhere today. He won the ball back for us countless times. 

I find it quite funny that Newall seems to think he can play vs Haring. 

He finds himself in Petes back pocket very, very quickly. 

4 minutes ago, indianajones said:

I find it quite funny that Newall seems to think he can play vs Haring. 

He finds himself in Petes back pocket very, very quickly. 

Newell is just a thug. Couldn't lace Pete Haring's boots. 

13 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Mate, you need to see beyond that.  If we need to improve as a team we need more perception and quicker play in his role.  I never said he was crap, it was a mixed bag.  I’ve felt for long enough that to people they see a guy play in an area and do a job, we need more than that.

He’s rarely getting beyond half way.  He rarely takes a quick touch and plays it quicker.  It’s all methodical and safe.  Many instances today if you saw the game.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve like Peter for most part at Hearts. I’ve nothing against him in general.   His injuries have caught up and anyone would have sympathy there.  I do.   It’s time to move on or Hearts won’t.   

That's not a criticism of Haring chief, it's a criticism of the player or players beside him. He does his role, it's up to others to provide. Every team needs a Haring or similar. Today he done his role perfectly. We just need more creativity from the guys around him. Grant needs time to adjust, but there is definitely a player there. Just give him a few games. Every baller needs to rely on a player like Haring filling in the gaps beside him. 

3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Smith - 6 - Solid

Subs:

Halliday - 1 - No time

Robbie Neilson            -10…………that’s minus 10

2 hours ago, fila said:

Pretty good summary of the subs, thing is I was hopping Devlin would start rather than Grant as I thought his energetic style of play would have helped in midfield 

I've seen us start with 7 or 8 defensive outfield players in the past and defended the decision.

But looking at that today shines it in a different light.

You actually see the team doing well, playing well and on top away from home in one of the biggest fixtures of the season.

Then you see us creep back in terms of shape and then progressively get slightly more defensive minded with each successive sub and you see how we ended up absolutely backs to the wall.

We talk about the OF winning mentality, could you ever imagine Celtic doing what we did today after being the better team for so long and only being a goal ahead? It'd never happen.

Edited by davie1980