• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Drew

• japanjambo

• John Findlay

• dannymack

Shocked by this news Drew was a tremendous player for Hearts when I was a teenager. He also had some great stories when he was the guest Speaker at the Shareholders Association dinner a few years ago.

RIP Drew.

joondalupjambo

Awe so sad especially when it starts to be players you idolised as a kid.  RIP Buzzbomb you were a trier and never gave up.  A lot of modern day footballers could learn a lot from your attitude and the way you played the game.  And by the way you scored a few screamers.

Along with Bobby Prentice,he was one of my first heroes.

Been in his company many times.

A true gentlemen.

The word legend was coined for him.

Rest easy Drew.❤️🇱🇻🤘🏻

andythejambo

Sad news.... Another one of my heroes from the 70's has gone. Drew was a regular attender at the Willie Bauld Dinner. For such a hard player, he was actually quite shy about the adulation he received from the fans.

RIP Buzzbomb

I still have a postcard Drew sent me when he joined Toronto Blizzard with Bobby Prentice.

wentworth jambo
7 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Sad new, as i kid going to home and away games  in the 1970s i always looked for his name on the team sheet.

RIP Drew, from a 1970s Hearts  kid , you did this club proud.

The Drew Busby Stand sounds good. Club should name something after him.

Absolutely this

wentworth jambo
7 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Sad new, as i kid going to home and away games  in the 1970s i always looked for his name on the team sheet.

RIP Drew, from a 1970s Hearts  kid , you did this club proud.

The Drew Busby Stand sounds good. Club should name something after him.

Absolutely this

Sleep well, sweet Prince!

One of the hardest of players and one of the gentlest of gentlemen.

No ego - just a delight that he could bring enjoyment to others.

God bless you, Buzzbomb.

So sad to hear this news. He was my hero when I started following Hearts seriously. I got to meet him when he signed my copy of his autobiography and he was an absolute gentleman.

R.I.P. Drew, we’ll miss you.

Edited by buzz

SectionDJambo

Very sad news.

Always gave 100% in a Hearts shirt and really got what the club was. He was honoured to play for Hearts and we were honoured to have him.

Sad news and thoughts with his family. Drew played before my time but the fact that he is so fondly remembered by so many Hearts fans despite playing during quite a difficult period for the club speaks volumes. I remember reading an interview with him quite a few years ago and it was evident that he just understood HMFC and what the club is all about.

Ballitojambo

Legend doesn’t even start to cover it, in dark days a shining light, never gave less than 100 pct , Busbys going to get you, RIP buzzbomb, a total hero to my generation.

RIP Drew

A shining light of effort and dedication, and no little skill in a tough time for the team

His name is Drew Busby, The talk o' the north, He plays at Tynecastle, Just over the Forth, He drinks all the whisky and Newcastle Brown, The Gorgie boys are in town...

gowestjambo

RIP Buzzbomb. The man who would put his head, where others wouldn't put their feet. An old fashioned Centre Forward who never stopped trying.

Dagger Is Back

Really sad news. Was lucky enough to see Drew play on many occasions - he played with a real fire in his belly but he was a clever and skilful player too. 

thoughts with all of his family. An absolute legend

RIP

Just heard the news.

Really sad.

Absolutely fearless and loyal player.

Younger guys these days would have referred to him as a Machine, and he definitely was.

So many memories, culminating I think with the only time I met Drew in The Waverley Bar about 8 years ago.

I'd phoned ahead the Friday before the Dumbarton away game to ask if Drew would be in the bar beforehand, as there was likely to be a good few Hearts fans appearing for the match the following day.

The phone was answered by an elderly sounding barmaid who replied, "He's no here the now, but he wouldnae miss it son".

Needless to say, the bar was mobbed,  and the Buzzbomb had laid on food for us all.

Fantastic to finally meet and speak with him. Such a soft spoken and unassuming guy who had time for everyone.

RIP Drew.

I'll raise a wee glass of Glayva to you tonight.

Edited by Busby8

TorinoJambo
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Jim Cruikshank, gone

Bobby Prentice, gone,

and now Drew Busby. My childhood heroes going one by one. 

Only the great Donald Ford of my heroes left.

1974. Hearts have beaten Morton 3-1 at Tynecastle. Me and my best pal Mikey Devlin are in Brattasani's at Haymarket waiting to get mince pie suppers, who do we see sitting in one of the booths but, Drew. We can't believe it and go over to chat with him. I think Drew is loaded as he is having steak and chips.

We talk about the game and the cracking goal that Ralph Callachan had scored, think we chatted for between 10-15 minutes, Drew very patient with us. I was only eleven at the time.

It was the first time I had ever had a proper conversation with a professional footballer and a hero too, admittedly not my favourite hero, that was shared between Jim Cruikshank and Donald Ford, but a hero nonetheless. Drew was indeed a gentleman.

RIP Drew Busby, many thanks for the great memories from the great goals you scored, and that home game against Lokomotiv Leipzeig.

My condolences to your family and friends, and my fellow Hearts supporters who saw you play for this fantastic football club.

You're obviously my era, my friend (I'm 68 in August) and my heroes were yours. I've even got Drews face on my WhatsApp where it will stay. Got my photo taken with him before Liverpool game at Anfield and the goat who took it got pished and scrubbed it.

heartandsoul

Very sad news. My best memory of Drew was when he scored the fourth goal against Hibs in the 4-1 game in 1973. 

RIP Drew.

Punks No Deid

RIP Drew. Met him outside Tynecastle a few years ago, an absolute gentleman. Sad day indeed.

jambovambo
1 hour ago, wentworth jambo said:

Legend, hero, superstar, nice guy....all of these and as good a Hearts man as you could get....gutted. Thoughts with Drew's family & friendsDrew Busby - Hall of Fame inductee - The Terrace - Jambos Kickback

Ha .. was just about to post that photo (which I took .. Drew very close after the 5-1 mauling of the hobos. 

He was with the middle-aged balding blokes with glasses club ..

The Goalscoring Knee

Time marches on, taking another name from my impressionable youth, a sad day.

He banged in more than 80 goals for us when we really weren't very good.

According to London Hearts, it was also big Drew who scored the last ever goal for Third Lanark. So much more than a cult hero.

Brick Tamland

Very saddened to hear this, Busby was one of my first Hearts heroes, hard as nails, loved by the fans and could play a bit too. 

So sad to hear this. Like many others have said my first hero when I started going to games. One the few shining lights at that time.  A sad loss for the hearts community and his family. Thanks for the memories bjg chap.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

One of the first Hearts players I remember along with Cruicky and Cammy Fraser. Forever remembered in song, RIP Buzzbomb

Darkwhisky7

Very sad to hear of Drew’s passing, one of my Hearts heroes too. Gave us a lot of good memories in a time when Hearts weren’t at their best.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Drew Busby R.I.P.